Selection Committee Gripes

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Selection Committee Gripes

Post by kramerica.inc »

Did the Towson AD on the selection committee really say, “Eyeball Test?”

:shock:

Even if that’s the case. You don’t say it out loud.

:oops:

That is a hard thing to justify. Opening oneself up for some serious criticism.

Army fans can’t be happy about Cuse getting in. But kinda knew it was gonna happen- it was like watching a car wreck, unfortunately.
Matnum PI

Re: Selection Committee Gripes

Post by Matnum PI »

From where I'm sitting and based on the information we have, switch Army and RU and they got it right. With this said, with the B1G's scheduling issues, I also think putting RU in over Army was getting it right. i.e. I think the B1G teams are better than we're giving them credit for but there's no real way to find out when they only play each other...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The committee clearly wanted to make sure UNC and Duke were on opposite sides of the bracket. It looks like that decision is what drove the rest of the bracket. Potentially sending the #3 seed out to the #6 for the QF is pretty bad. Really surprised Georgetown in the #5 seed. That's where I expected ND to be but that would have gotten them on the same side of the bracket as UNC (and UVA). So they sent them to other side to balance out ACC representation. Denver is basking in the reflected glow of their ACC games with the 7 seed. Credit for playing UNC and Duke regardless of the outcome of those games.

MD/ND each a spot too low.
Duke a spot too hight.
Georgetown 2 spots too high.
Denver 2 spots too high.

The RU decision makes zero sense. You can't say on national TV that you can't tell how good Maryland is based on the schedule and turn right around and put RU in (and according to Patrick Stevens, RU wasn't on the bubble).

Early take: RU beats Lehigh and Loyola takes out Denver.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 am From where I'm sitting and based on the information we have, switch Army and RU and they got it right. With this said, with the B1G's scheduling issues, I also think putting RU in over Army was getting it right. i.e. I think the B1G teams are better than we're giving them credit for but there's no real way to find out when they only play each other...
Well Army beat RU last 2 years, there your eye test
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

is loyola even going to be able to play?
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

:lol:
Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 am is loyola even going to be able to play?
Guess we'll find out :lol:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:19 am The committee clearly wanted to make sure UNC and Duke were on opposite sides of the bracket. It looks like that decision is what drove the rest of the bracket. Potentially sending the #3 seed out to the #6 for the QF is pretty bad. Really surprised Georgetown in the #5 seed. That's where I expected ND to be but that would have gotten them on the same side of the bracket as UNC (and UVA). So they sent them to other side to balance out ACC representation. Denver is basking in the reflected glow of their ACC games with the 7 seed. Credit for playing UNC and Duke regardless of the outcome of those games.

MD/ND each a spot too low.
Duke a spot too hight.
Georgetown 2 spots too high.
Denver 2 spots too high.

The RU decision makes zero sense. You can't say on national TV that you can't tell how good Maryland is based on the schedule and turn right around and put RU in (and according to Patrick Stevens, RU wasn't on the bubble).
Agreed Wheels... I think you have this right.

As it is, I expect the MD vs VT game to be interesting. VT could control tempo of game with their excellent FOGO. On the D side, their goalie is very good too. Aside from putting MD at #3, the Committee didn't do them any favors with the VT match up.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Assuming they win out, the Terps will play ND, Duke, and UNC to get a National Championship. That’s doubting to say the least.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

NovaHound wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:03 am :lol:
Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:43 am is loyola even going to be able to play?
Reports are test was a false positive
tech37

Post by tech37 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:52 pm Did the Towson AD on the selection committee really say, “Eyeball Test?”

:shock:

Even if that’s the case. You don’t say it out loud.

:oops:

That is a hard thing to justify. Opening oneself up for some serious criticism.

Army fans can’t be happy about Cuse getting in. But kinda knew it was gonna happen- it was like watching a car wreck, unfortunately.
The "eye test" I think included... what have you done for me lately? Loyola peaking at right time is evidence of their getting in.

Any criteria (if you can call it that) applied, certainly doesn't seem consistent.
Last edited by tech37 on Mon May 10, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:26 am
Seems awfully extreme to rely on one test to make such an extreme decision, only to find out hours later it was a false positive. Hmmm....
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:33 am
Seems awfully extreme to rely on one test to make such an extreme decision, only to find out hours later it was a false positive. Hmmm....
The PL championship decision was made under a compressed timeframe. Not a lot of time to think. Just react. A decision was made out of an abundance of caution. Not just for Loyola but also the Lehigh players.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:01 am
The PL championship decision was made under a compressed timeframe. Not a lot of time to think. Just react. A decision was made out of an abundance of caution. Not just for Loyola but also the Lehigh players.
Yeah, forgot how deadly covid is to the average healthy male.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:00 am From where I'm sitting and based on the information we have, switch Army and RU and they got it right. With this said, with the B1G's scheduling issues, I also think putting RU in over Army was getting it right. i.e. I think the B1G teams are better than we're giving them credit for but there's no real way to find out when they only play each other...
I'd have gone with Army OR Rutgers over SU.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Unknown Participant wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:05 am
Yeah, forgot how deadly covid is to the average healthy male.
I agree. IMO the heart of the stupidity is that outdoor sports are deemed close contact. There is absolutely no evidence that this is the case.
But you have the powers that be and teams that are mandated to follow the same school/league protocols all season...just to be able to participate.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

lorin wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:33 am Well Army beat RU last 2 years, there your eye test
And it's a new year.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Of course you had the “Rutgers has to get in because the BigTen is so tough” specious assertions with zero actual, tangible evidence, so why not look at 2011 Bucknell as a reference point?

(same folks insisted and told me flat out I was wrong that MD was definitely the 1 seed so they were all wrong but of course the arrogance never ends)
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Odd that they have not officially announced that even through back channels of IL.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:07 am
I'd have gone with Army OR Rutgers over SU.
If you believe the committee tries to seed the entire field, then the decision for Army came down to them or Syracuse. Loyola or Rutgers could have flown to Denver to play the 7 seed with the other traveling to VA to play 8, so in my mind the selection committee also had Rutgers in over Loyola.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am Of course you had the “Rutgers has to get in because the BigTen is so tough” specious assertions with zero actual, tangible evidence, so why not look at 2011 Bucknell as a reference point?

(same folks insisted and told me flat out I was wrong that MD was definitely the 1 seed so they were all wrong but of course the arrogance never ends)
From Patrick Stevens interview it sounded like Rutgers was not a question but rather Cuse being a question of if they should be in.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”