Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Is America a racist nation?

Post by PizzaSnake »

You tell me.

“Discrimination can be hard to document when it is a function of a person’s (often unstated) opinions and attitudes. However, with respect to real estate transactions, it is painfully clear in at least one respect: County real property records contain all the information regarding transfers and covenants against properties located within the county. As a result, if a property has ever been subject to racially discriminatory covenants, then it is a matter of record with the county.”

https://mrsc.org/Home/Stay-Informed/MRS ... ctive.aspx
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:05 pm You tell me.

“Discrimination can be hard to document when it is a function of a person’s (often unstated) opinions and attitudes. However, with respect to real estate transactions, it is painfully clear in at least one respect: County real property records contain all the information regarding transfers and covenants against properties located within the county. As a result, if a property has ever been subject to racially discriminatory covenants, then it is a matter of record with the county.”

https://mrsc.org/Home/Stay-Informed/MRS ... ctive.aspx
+1
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Sidebar, if America is so bad, where are other places that are so much better? Not saying US doesn't have issues, we do and they run deep... But where can people go where they can get free of the stain of xenophobia, nationalism, racism, etc?. I know a gentleman who was born in Zambia but his parents were from India. He is not considered Zambian despite being born there for the simple fact that he is not african. So... It seems every country has nuances and struggles in this area. Sad all around, very heart breaking. And really... The only question that matters... How do we as individuals do our part to fix it and how do we as a nation change structures to prevent future recurrence?

Not looking to argue bot for the folks who are absolutely convinced that privilege is real and that certain groups have benefitted at the expense of others...then how are you looking at yourself in the mirror and looking st your wallet and figuring out how you can personally do your part to make things right? This is not an attack on anyone or meant to cause a fight but I frequently see people say america is racist, etc and that something needs to be given to the people who were harmed... But usually I hear solutions like "the govt needs to do something" and I rarely hear "I am willing to do (insert idea here)". Again not fighting, just wondering how individually and collectively we can work in tandem to correct imbalances that we are acutely aware of.
Last edited by D3 Fan on Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Short clip....long lectures actually pretty good.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Too bad they were suckers for a few nice blankets
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

D3 Fan wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:00 pm Sidebar, if America is so bad, where are other places that are so much better? Not saying US doesn't have issues, we do and they run deep... But where can people go where they can get free of the stain of xenophobia, nationalism, racism, etc?. I know a gentleman who was born in Zambia but his parents were from India. He is not considered Zambian despite being born there for the simple fact that he is not african. So... It seems every country has nuances and struggles in this area. Sad all around, very heart breaking. And really... The only question that matters... How do we as individuals do our part to fix it and how do we as a nation change structures to prevent future recurrence?
Been saying it for years. We are the “cleanest dirty shirt in the laundry” which means lots of opportunity for improvement but also that the rest of the world can Shut The F**K Up with their unreflective focus on our behavior.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

ggait

Post by ggait »

The USA's dirty shirt is, comparatively speaking, really really dirty.

Our 100 years of Jim Crow (basically apartheid) is not something that happened in our peer countries.

Look at what the pro rankers at US News and World Report say about us.

Overall, the USA ranks as the #6 (out of 73) best country. On racial equality, the top ranked countries are Netherlands, Canada, New Zealand, Sweden, Denmark, Finland. USA ranks #69 (out of 78) countries.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countr ... l-equality

And a continuing core problem we have as Americans is the extent to which white folks overlook, minimize or deny how effed up we are over race.

For example, in the most recent PRRI values survey, only 52% of Republicans say that black people face a lot of discrimination. But 57% say that white people face a lot of discrimination. Absolutely jaw dropping.

https://www.prri.org/research/amid-mult ... he-nation/
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

This topic makes me wonder why hundreds of thousands of people, decade after decade keep risking life and limb to come to such a racist and hate filled nation. To my knowledge not a single person has put themselves into a raft and launched off of Key West to head their ass back to Cuba. It is funny how all these hundreds of thousands of people see the opportunity in the USA that plumb evades the mind numbed FLP folks that post on this forum. You folks claim to be intelligent, college educated elitists who know everything there is to know. I think all of your parents should demand a refund from that money they wasted sending you all to college. :roll: If any of you folks want to go to Cuba to find your FLP Shangri La I will buy the raft for you and meet you in Key West for a "shove off" party. I will even provide an extra large raft for Michael Moore so he can keep you company and give you the 10 cent tour of the fine medical facilities in Cuba. I still can't understand how all those Cubans would risk their lives to come to such a horrible country as the USA. Maybe we are just a stepping stone to Canada? Too bad the Canadians won't let anybody in their country right now. All these people could find their way to a loving and caring country that respects them and wants them desperately. Sadly they will be stuck in this racist hellhole of a place called the United States of America.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:02 am The USA's dirty shirt is, comparatively speaking, really really dirty.

Our 100 years of Jim Crow (basically apartheid) is not something that happened in our peer countries.

Overall, the USA ranks as the #6 (out of 73) best country. On racial equality, the top ranked countries are Netherlands, Canada, New Zealand, Sweden, Denmark, Finland. USA ranks #69 (out of 78) countries.

And a continuing core problem we have as Americans is the extent to which white folks overlook, minimize or deny how effed up we are over race.

For example, in the most recent PRRI values survey, only 52% of Republicans say that black people face a lot of discrimination. But 57% say that white people face a lot of discrimination. Absolutely jaw dropping.

I don’t know, haven spent plenty of time in Europe and they are all pretty racist including the Scandinavian countries. I’m talking boots on the ground in the street. Tons of anti semitism all over. Lot of anxiety and hatred towards Turkish immigrants in the Scandinavians countries, etc. biggest problem I have with the concept of reparations is each and every country has had slavery at some point in their history so no single country should do it independently.

I don’t think a lot of people who are critical here take a critical enough eye to the rest of the world. That isn’t to say we can desire or demand improvement but it starts to feel like a rich Massachusetts liberal who is sullen over the prospects for many less off, doesn’t even enjoy their prosperity but wants everyone else to give their money to those in need while maximizing tax shelters.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 am
ggait wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:02 am The USA's dirty shirt is, comparatively speaking, really really dirty.

I don’t know, haven spent plenty of time in Europe and they are all pretty racist including the Scandinavian countries. I’m talking boots on the ground in the street. Tons of anti semitism all over. Lot of anxiety and hatred towards Turkish immigrants in the Scandinavians countries, etc. biggest problem I have with the concept of reparations is each and every country has had slavery at some point in their history so no single country should do it independently.

I don’t think a lot of people who are critical here take a critical enough eye to the rest of the world. That isn’t to say we can desire or demand improvement but it starts to feel like a rich Massachusetts liberal who is sullen over the prospects for many less off, doesn’t even enjoy their prosperity but wants everyone else to give their money to those in need while maximizing tax shelters.
Nobody cares about a guy down the street being racist. Government policies and lack of enforcement of individuals’ rights by federal, state and local governments is a different story. State sponsored...Job discrimination was actually legal until the 1970s. USDA policies.....Housing discrimination has had an over weighted effect on individual outcomes. This country and it’s antecedent really had some unique approaches to State sponsored racism that didn’t exist anywhere else on the planet.....not to say that in some aspects, other countries weren’t as bad or worse in some ways. A friend in Columbus found and old land document for his village when he bought a home. Folks were given 400 acres of land if they ran off natives. It was in something akin to a title search. A lot of land in this country was given to people. Lots of those folks still around Pittsburgh. Old money. Ruling class wants to keep peasants fighting over crumbs. Easy to use race in this country as a wedge.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:05 pm
D3 Fan wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:00 pm Sidebar, if America is so bad, where are other places that are so much better? Not saying US doesn't have issues, we do and they run deep... But where can people go where they can get free of the stain of xenophobia, nationalism, racism, etc?. I know a gentleman who was born in Zambia but his parents were from India. He is not considered Zambian despite being born there for the simple fact that he is not african. So... It seems every country has nuances and struggles in this area. Sad all around, very heart breaking. And really... The only question that matters... How do we as individuals do our part to fix it and how do we as a nation change structures to prevent future recurrence?
Been saying it for years. We are the “cleanest dirty shirt in the laundry” which means lots of opportunity for improvement but also that the rest of the world can Shut The F**K Up with their unreflective focus on our behavior.
Would agree with this. The real problem is we have far too many citizens that think we can't be a lot better. They think being a patriot is waving a flag and settling for the status quo, locking it in, defending our own indefensible behavior.

Like these guys: Today's republicans.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:25 am
Would agree with this. The real problem is we have far too many citizens that think we can't be a lot better. They think being a patriot is waving a flag and settling for the status quo, locking it in, defending our own indefensible behavior.

This thread should really be renamed “Democrats Hate America”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Your post should be labeled "whiny mindless diarrhea of the keyboard".
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:46 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:25 am

This thread should really be renamed “Democrats Hate America”
+1 I am more than willing to wait so i can order a larger raft so they can all paddle their asses over to Cuba. It is only 90 miles from the southern most point at Key West. I will even order an extra large raft if they want to use Michael Moore as their tour guide if they ever get there. i will even throw in a case of shark repellent to assuage their consternation of going back to the land they really love. What do we have to lose but a few lawyers and other assorted FLP debris. :D If they actually make it to Cuba, then they will be truly happy for once in their lives. :lol:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:06 am Your post should be labeled "whiny mindless diarrhea of the keyboard".
Sorry Doc, you already have that moniker etched in stone. Yer a day late and a dollar short. :lol: Do you prefer a seat in the front of the raft or the back of the raft? You may want to stay clear of Michael Moore. There are rumors his flatulence could send the raft off course. On the plus side you can have all the weed you can smoke. You have to remember when your out to sea there is no pizza delivery. :D
ggait

Post by ggait »

FFG --the USNWR survey rings very true to me.

We clearly rank as one of the best countries in the whole world because we score well on soooo many different aspects. Great country for religious freedom, respecting human rights, womens rights, economics, business, respect for property rights, open to immigrants, etc. etc. That's why people still come here.

Having said that, if you are a born/raised black or native American, the ride here is pretty rough. Centuries of pervasive racial injustice have left a very big mark. The outer boroughs NYC I grew up in were as racist as Alabama.

Some of the most insightful things I've heard on race in America have come from Colin Powell -- a black man but also a Caribbean immigrant. His experience as an immigrant was overwhelmingly positive. As a black man, not so much. His experience is echoed by a lot of black immigrants who come here -- the "I didn't know I was black until I came to America."

The USA is a great country, but race relations is one of our weakest features. Which is exactly what USNWR says.

I mean seriously -- how can all those people in the PRRI survey think white folks experience more discrimination than blacks? What a blind spot.
Last edited by ggait on Thu May 06, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Of course this thread reduced itself, within a single page of posts, to "Democrats Hate America," a post to which another poster blithely attaches the ubiquitous "+1." But the thread started with someone posting one example of a deeply embedded, de jure, institutionalized body of race-based and race-excluding actions. The property covenant noted in the article posted in the first post of this thread included this nifty historical artifact:

"No race or nationality other than the white race shall use or occupy any building on any lot, except that this covenant shall not prevent occupancy by domestic servants of a different race or nationality employed by an owner or tenant."

We are a nation with a serious, demonstrable history of racial discrimination. We the living may not be directly responsible for it, but we are living with it and its consequences. Acknowledging it is the first step in an almost endless series of steps to be taken to counteract our long national problem. I don't hate America; I believe it can be better. And there is a difference between those things.

Just because I acknowledge that our past racial history includes actions and systems and institutions aimed at racial separation and discrimination, and that that history has a contemporary effect, doesn't translate into hating the country. The now-hackneyed phrase is that "America is an idea." And I'd like to think that ideas aren't static, and that the trajectory of the country is inclusive, more participatory, and fairer to people, such that their race someday won't matter. "Woke" is not a dirty word. Suggesting that the race of some people leaves then in a different, more vulnerable, less advantaged position doesn't mean I hate this country or that I need to paddle "back" to wherever my people came from.

Return to “POLITICS”