May Madness Bracket Challenge

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxreference

May Madness Bracket Challenge

Post by laxreference »

I'm excited to announce that LacrosseReference will be hosting a Bracket Challenge this year for both the Men's and Women's NCAA tournament. Just like March Madness for basketball, except I'll have a few LacrosseReference wrinkles thrown in too.

The site is live now, so you can register an account and set up a group to play against friends.

And stay tuned to this thread for updates on scoring/rules/etc as we get closer to Selection Sunday.

Happy picking.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Re: May Madness Bracket Challenge

Post by laxreference »

I put together a quick post to lay out some dates for the Bracket Challenge.

I also went through my scoring philosophy and laid out a couple LacrosseReference-specific features you can look forward to.
Data Engineer/Lacrosse Fan --- Twitter: @laxreference --- Informed fans get Expected Goals, the new daily newsletter from LacrosseReference
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Ok, the bracket is out, which means that the Bracket Challenge is officially open.

Picks can be made until the first game of the tournament starts. Invite friends into a group or just compete against all submissions. I'm going to try and do some pick analytics too, like win probability for a bracket within a group and some sort of value-metric for each entry.

The highest scoring men's and women's bracket will get a free year of LacrosseReference PRO.

I know that in basketball, having a bracket always make it a bit more entertaining to follow the games; I hope this will do the same for lacrosse!
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

It's that time again. The Bracket Challenge opens Sunday night when the bracket is announced. If you want to create a group to compete against friends, you can do that now.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Thanks, just signed up.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

The Bracket Challenge is officially open. To sign-up (or create a group to compete against), use this link.

If you just want an easy way to post your picks, you can use this link.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

bracket_challenge_entry00000897.jpg
bracket_challenge_entry00000897.jpg (55.93 KiB) Viewed 2021 times
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:21 am
bracket_challenge_entry00000897.jpg
I'm noticing a pattern...
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Everybody agrees the Ivy League was the best conference this year ...
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Less than 11 hours to get your bracket submitted. Picks lock with the start of the first play-in game at 6 pm.

Winner of the MLAX Bracket Challenge gets a free year subscription to LR PRO.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:21 am bracket_challenge_entry00000897.jpg
77, just finished mine. I have a final4 of:
Cornell
Yale
Harvard
Brown

Final I have:
Cornell
Brown

Winner( come on)
Cornell

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

By the way. I call my Bracket the:

"Up yours squint, crack, Anus bracket"

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Did anyone NOT have VT and Del in their bracket?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 pm Did anyone NOT have VT and Del in their bracket?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I had Manhattan going to the Final 4. Dammit...

I mean, they were one of those high quality wins Duke had that helped propel them to that #7 RPI. I figured they were a shoo-in.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ICGrad wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:28 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 pm Did anyone NOT have VT and Del in their bracket?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I had Manhattan going to the Final 4. Dammit...

I mean, they were one of those high quality wins Duke had that helped propel them to that #7 RPI. I figured they were a shoo-in.
IC grad,
You are becoming more cynical than me. Keep up the great work. Lol

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
A shocking number. 40 or 50 picked at least one of them to lose. 3 brackets picked RMU and Manhattan.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Is it easy to post how many people picked each team to win? After a quick glance it looked like over 2/3 picked Maryland, and I'm curious to know the breakdown for the favorites (e.g., Maryland, Georgetown, the Ivies in general, Virginia, and Rutgers).
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

laxreference wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:03 am
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
A shocking number. 40 or 50 picked at least one of them to lose. 3 brackets picked RMU and Manhattan.
Probably not that shocking. My guess is a decent number of people who entered brackets don't pay a ton of attention to teams outside of the top 25-30, and given the very low points involved with play-in games didn't bother to do the 30 seconds worth of research required to make decent picks.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Who's leading in the Bracket challenge?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxreference

Post by laxreference »

Quite a lot of people. There are still 58 perfect brackets after the Cornell win.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”