Total votes: 51

gymman1031

Who Wins The National Title?

Post by gymman1031 »

nm
44WeWantMore

Re: Who Wins The National Title?

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Wow. Even assuming the "Other" is SU, MD is leading the entire ACC 6-3. Would not make for a good parimutuel spread.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I was the other vote. All in on Rutgers. Tremendous story, players who've given a lot to the game and great for big ten.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:09 pm I was the other vote. All in on Rutgers. Tremendous story, players who've given a lot to the game and great for big ten.
Bad news for Rutgers fans: If Hop can play even with them through 3 quarters on two separate occasions, it's only going to take a team slightly better than Hop to knock off Rutgers in the tournament. They're not going very far unless they start winning some more faceoffs.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:09 pm I was the other vote. All in on Rutgers. Tremendous story, players who've given a lot to the game and great for big ten.
So, at the time it was the B1G (MD and RU) 7, the ACC 2. I contributed to the imbalance by picking MD, but wow.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I picked MD as well but would obviously take the ACC field over them in a rout. Duke has swung from excessively hyped to probably undervalued at this point.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 pm Wow. Even assuming the "Other" is SU, MD is leading the entire ACC 6-3. Would not make for a good parimutuel spread.
maryland's undefeated!

they'll likely only even potentially have 2 games vs. the acc if they can hold the #1 seed. but that may bring in a lehigh or a denver or even a gtown at the x.

that'll be 3 games they might have to outperform everywhere else.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Gonzaga was probably a proportionately bigger favorite in hoops this year. The B1G isn't close to the top 4 of the ACC this year. The weak, repetitive B1G intramural schedule not only makes it impossible to tell how good Maryland really is but also hurts them competitively. Like Gonzaga, their first tournament challenge will be a new experience. All 4 of the top ACC teams would go undefeated in the B1G this year.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 pmAll 4 of the top ACC teams would go undefeated in the B1G this year.
False.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 pm Gonzaga was probably a proportionately bigger favorite in hoops this year. The B1G isn't close to the top 4 of the ACC this year. The weak, repetitive B1G intramural schedule not only makes it impossible to tell how good Maryland really is but also hurts them competitively. Like Gonzaga, their first tournament challenge will be a new experience. All 4 of the top ACC teams would go undefeated in the B1G this year.
-according to ty xanders Milliman has at his disposal just as much highlevel recruited talent as any acc program and more than notre dame and syracuse.
-I'm all in on Rutgers, great year for cindarellas.
-Would be great for the sport to use college football venues, make all tickets for kids under 13 free w/paid parent admission. Let the youngsters see the game in person.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 pm Gonzaga was probably a proportionately bigger favorite in hoops this year. The B1G isn't close to the top 4 of the ACC this year. The weak, repetitive B1G intramural schedule not only makes it impossible to tell how good Maryland really is but also hurts them competitively. Like Gonzaga, their first tournament challenge will be a new experience. All 4 of the top ACC teams would go undefeated in the B1G this year.
-according to ty xanders Milliman has at his disposal just as much highlevel recruited talent as any acc program and more than notre dame and syracuse.
-I'm all in on Rutgers, great year for cindarellas.
-Would be great for the sport to use college football venues, make all tickets for kids under 13 free w/paid parent admission. Let the youngsters see the game in person.
i think ty played volleyball.
Lax1887

Post by Lax1887 »

Is it possible to add Rutgers to the list so voters don't have to post and keep saying my "other" vote is for Rutgers? Rutgers is ranked #6 & #8 on USILA and IL Media polls, respectively, and should be included.

The comment about Rutgers not having a chance because they beat a bad Hopkins team twice by only 6 goals each time by pulling away in the 4th qtr is off base and certainly not a valid reason to dismiss Rutgers chances. Some would say the late game 5 and 6 goal streaks against Hopkins are character building and shows Rutgers has the talent and determination to pull away at a critical juncture of the game.

Rutgers was tied with Maryland in the 3rd qtr of their first meeting and only down 2 with 12:00 minutes left in the 4th qtr of the second. Does this mean #1 ranked Maryland isn't going anywhere because Rutgers played them tough for most of the game on two separate occasions? I think not. Trying to use a margins of victory or selecting the performance of select "quarters" of a game to predict future results doesn't work.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:43 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 pmAll 4 of the top ACC teams would go undefeated in the B1G this year.
False.
Yeah, I’m not saying the B1G is great or anything but ND certainly had some off, meh games against Marquette for example that if they had against Rutgers probably woulda been an L. Same with Virginia early in the year vs say, High Point.

Honestly if Maryland played this 10 game slate again I’m not sure they’d go undefeated. It’s freaking hard to play every week and not just have a really off week. Even if the B1G isn’t great it’s not the worst conf in D1 or anything or close to it imo.

Maryland may not win the national title; in fact odds are they won’t but them being undefeated and winning by blowout says more about them as a team than the B1G imo
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

My mistake! I should have included Rutgers as one of the choices. Is anyone else picking them? Yes, it would be a great story!
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 pm
rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:43 pm
False.
Yeah, I’m not saying the B1G is great or anything but ND certainly had some off, meh games against Marquette for example that if they had against Rutgers probably woulda been an L. Same with Virginia early in the year vs say, High Point.

Honestly if Maryland played this 10 game slate again I’m not sure they’d go undefeated. It’s freaking hard to play every week and not just have a really off week. Even if the B1G isn’t great it’s not the worst conf in D1 or anything or close to it imo.

Maryland may not win the national title; in fact odds are they won’t but them being undefeated and winning by blowout says more about them as a team than the B1G imo
I'm sure the big ten teams would have liked to play a few games vs the SOCON and maybe a couple others like some mid to low level Big East or Patriot teams...my guess and of course my opinion is that most big ten teams would stack up wins just like the ACC did...and teams like OSU, PSU and Hopkins would look a lot better now record wise at .500 or above...maybe even Michigan...if they were allowed to play OOC games...but they were not...so it's just speculation

The ACC is obviously the best right now...but I'd take the top three in the Big Ten...maybe top 4 (MD, RU, OSU, PSU), and run them vs any other conference (non ACC), and feel pretty good about it...

Maryland is exceptional...I've seen them live twice...as great as their offense is...I think their defense is better...MD is a complete team from top to bottom...studs everywhere...they just pick you apart...

Rutgers is a really good team...strong with studs offensively, solid defensively, very good in transition with excellent athletes at SSDM...and getting great goaltending...the weakness they have is at the face off X...and that might be the thorn that keeps them from being a real threat in this thing...we will see

I hope Rutgers finishes strong, makes the tourney and gets to test itself vs an ACC team...it would be bad for business if Rutgers had to play Maryland in the quarters...if they won game 1 which is no given...but seeing Rutgers play say a Duke or UVA "if" they were to get that far...that would be fun to see...not saying they win..but I think they would be ready to run...

IMO, the top 4 in the ACC are elite...and I think Maryland easily fits in that group...I also happen to think Rutgers is right there in that next group of 3-5 teams...Rutgers is very good

It's fun to talk about...

Cheers
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Lax1887 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:32 pm Is it possible to add Rutgers to the list so voters don't have to post and keep saying my "other" vote is for Rutgers? Rutgers is ranked #6 & #8 on USILA and IL Media polls, respectively, and should be included.

The comment about Rutgers not having a chance because they beat a bad Hopkins team twice by only 6 goals each time by pulling away in the 4th qtr is off base and certainly not a valid reason to dismiss Rutgers chances. Some would say the late game 5 and 6 goal streaks against Hopkins are character building and shows Rutgers has the talent and determination to pull away at a critical juncture of the game.

Rutgers was tied with Maryland in the 3rd qtr of their first meeting and only down 2 with 12:00 minutes left in the 4th qtr of the second. Does this mean #1 ranked Maryland isn't going anywhere because Rutgers played them tough for most of the game on two separate occasions? I think not. Trying to use a margins of victory or selecting the performance of select "quarters" of a game to predict future results doesn't work.
Great post...Hopkins is having a tough transition year, but they still have some guys...very goood guys....Rutgers can't score 22 goals every game...

Transitive properties usually don't work...especially with college kids...

Not saying RU wins it all...I don't think they will...but they're a very good team...not elite like MD...but still worth putting in the conversation
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

What if Rutgers loses @ Michigan this weekend? Still a top ten team ? Say they get a bye in the Big10-tourn., they lose in round two. No way they get in to the NCAA T. What’s the high ranking based off of? Georgetown was in the same boat, but they just past the smell test w a Denver win. Ohio State looked horrible vs Maryland. What happen to Tre Leclaire? One of top shooters in lacrosse, looks lost.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I’d prefer None Of The Above including Other.

COVID isn’t a choice.

So I picked Maryland.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

The posts lauding Rutgers are correct; they are an excellent team. This is a tough year to 'just' be excellent though considering the 4 or 5 superteams ahead of them. The noticeable difference to me between Rutgers and the top 4 ACC teams is their lack of athleticism from a few of their older guys at attack. They're great players, but the lack of speed by multiple guys makes it a lot easier to defend. In contrast UNC, Duke and UVA's offensive dudes are flying all over the field in waves, and Notre Dame's d feasts on slower opponents.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I don't buy much into the "hurts them competitively" narrative. There may be a very small component to that but not enough to make a difference. When the whistle blows you play the team on the field that is all Maryland can do now. Hearing how great the ACC is (and the top 2 UNC/Duke are great) all year should be an excellent motivator for the Terps. I'm not saying they will definitely win the whole thing but don't think they are looking up at Duke/UNC. Hopefully we will get to see.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”