2021 Tournament

D3 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: 2021 Tournament

Post by pcowlax »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:02 pm Coach Berkman....OK fellaz, you remember youth hoops inbounds play, we are gonna run "Stack", everyone get in a line and and the first 4 turn around and set screens for the last guy that will pop out for the shot.

If it worked, pure genus. :lol:

Yeah, that really caught my eye ... don't think I ever saw that b4
I’ve seen West Genny run a stack like that, looked like the Picket Fence play from Hoosiers
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:29 am
Unknown Participant wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:02 pm Coach Berkman....OK fellaz, you remember youth hoops inbounds play, we are gonna run "Stack", everyone get in a line and and the first 4 turn around and set screens for the last guy that will pop out for the shot.

If it worked, pure genus. :lol:

Yeah, that really caught my eye ... don't think I ever saw that b4
I’ve seen West Genny run a stack like that, looked like the Picket Fence play from Hoosiers
is the stream archived? missed this play but would like to see what they were trying.
got like 2 or 3 ideas for out of a timeout just looking at it.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:03 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:59 pm great game. salisbury d man, it's on him. the gulls had an opportunity to run it out.

didn't like the running restart. only thing that seemed out of equity.
Did the running restart matter? Game was won on crease crash and perfect feed off end line.
Good chance there wouldn’t have had OT without the running start. Ball should have at least started in the defensive half.
islander

Post by islander »

I rewatched the end a few times.

1. Absolutely the right call. That was interference 100%. Sals was running near the midline, RIT attachment can try and swing to knock the ball out. Sals defender blows up the RIT attackman. That's an easy call by the ref
2. The restart.... RIT SHOULD not have had that much of a running start. The player is supposed to pick up the ball and wait for the whistle before he starts running. HOWEVER! I watched the ref that made the call and blew the follow up whistle to start play again. He did a GREAT job of moving fast to make the call then signal for play to start again. He knew that RIT was going to restart fast and he acted accordingly by trying to get a quick restart whistle off. I would say there was maybe a 1 second lag between the RIT player taking off with the ball and the ref restarting play.
2b. The restart.... Even if the RIT kid waited a half second for the ref to blow the whistle, he would have had a 10 yard head start regardless. There was not a Salisbury player anywhere near him. The ref that blew the restart whistle actually started running with the play as he blew the restart whistle.

IMO - the officials did the right thing to NOT stop the restart.... because 12 seconds left in a 1 goal National Championship game...

I screenshot a few still frames but can't figure out how to post them on here...
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

Anyone think it is total BS that they can’t put the championship game on ESPN or one of their networks. Having to watch it streaming on NCAA.com is a joke and shows no respect for D2 or D3. Then Sunday night there was actually a high school tournament game on ESPN 2 I think. Complete disregard for the hard work these players put in during the season.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

HappyGilmore wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:51 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:59 pm great game. salisbury d man, it's on him. the gulls had an opportunity to run it out.

Did the running restart matter? Game was won on crease crash and perfect feed off end line.
Good chance there wouldn’t have had OT without the running start. Ball should have at least started in the defensive half.
Yes Happy, you may be right. Caught up in the moment I made an errant post and wgdsr was indeed correct. Credit though to the RIT middie who took off and was hellbent on getting the ball into scoring position. Aside from this controversial play, I think RIT made all plays they needed to win and I'm not just talking about scoring goals.
Last edited by tech37 on Mon May 31, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilax

Post by lilax »

HappyGilmore wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:51 am

I was wondering about that. But the interference was committed in the Tigers O-zone, therefore doesn't that allow them to start on that side of midfield?
SpiritInTheStick

Post by SpiritInTheStick »

Laxisback wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:33 am Anyone think it is total BS that they can’t put the championship game on ESPN or one of their networks. Having to watch it streaming on NCAA.com is a joke and shows no respect for D2 or D3. Then Sunday night there was actually a high school tournament game on ESPN 2 I think. Complete disregard for the hard work these players put in during the season.
Nah, obviously we'd all love lacrosse to be on there, but the D1 championship is on ESPN2. Lacrosse just isn't there yet. It would be great to have those games get to ESPNU, but I can't think of another sport outside of football where I've seen D2 or D3 championship games on ESPN networks (basketball D2/D3 championships might get on a CBS Sports or something like that). Soccer is more popular than lacrosse in the US and their D2 and D3 championship games are still on NCAA.com as far as I know. Those high school games yesterday were shown on ESPN3 (streaming), although the game tonight is on ESPNU at 7pm. Hopefully lacrosse can get there as the sport's popularity continues to grow and more people across the country learn about it and enjoy watching the game.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Laxisback wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:33 am Anyone think it is total BS that they can’t put the championship game on ESPN or one of their networks. Having to watch it streaming on NCAA.com is a joke and shows no respect for D2 or D3. Then Sunday night there was actually a high school tournament game on ESPN 2 I think. Complete disregard for the hard work these players put in during the season.
Cant recall a time when D2/D3 have been on ESPN in recent memory.

Both games were on CBS Sports network if memory serves me correctly and then the contract ran out and was not renewed.

There may be logistics involved as to which (big) companies/networks are allowed (by ESPN) to stream when sharing the same venue (total speculation on my part :lol: ).

In this case (IMO) something is better than nothing and maybe a network will pick up Sundays D2/D3 game, sooner as opposed to later.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

Oldbarndog wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:59 am Karma for hanging a 30 spot?
What the hell are you talking about - 3rd line guys in at half - What would you prefer "Monkey in the middle" keep-away?? Save us you stupid posts
lilax

Post by lilax »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:56 pm
Cant recall a time when D2/D3 have been on ESPN in recent memory.

Both games were on CBS Sports network if memory serves me correctly and then the contract ran out and was not renewed.

There may be logistics involved as to which (big) companies/networks are allowed (by ESPN) to stream when sharing the same venue (total speculation on my part :lol: ).

In this case (IMO) something is better than nothing and maybe a network will pick up Sundays D2/D3 game, sooner as opposed to later.
Not to be a debbie downer... But what other D2/D3 sports does ESPN put on their networks?

Lacrosse is getting the same treatment as other sports.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Back in the day, D3 natty used to be on the Deuce. I vividly remember watching Naz vs Someone (maybe WAC) late 90s on the Deuce
ah23

Post by ah23 »

It would never be on ESPN/ESPN 2, or even ESPNU. The general interest/viewership for that would be absolutely minuscule. WatchESPN would definitely make sense (Lynchburg-W&L was on WatchESPN early in the 2020 season), but I assume the contract just doesn’t exist. I don’t mind that the NCAA broadcasts it, I just wish they did a better job.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:47 pm Congratulations to RIT on winning their first National Championship! And congratulations to Salisbury too on a very good season though I’m sure it stings now they’ll look back one day and know they participated in “one for the ages”. As a fan that has no allegiance to either team, thanks to both teams and coaches. This game put the best of DIII lacrosse on display and you all did the division proud. Well done!
Congrats to RIT on winning a hard fought game - Congrats to the Gulls for fighting through a crazy season.

I'd also like to thank the 5th years for the great careers they had. Winning one of three trips to the national championship game, this group never finished lower than the semifinals and only lost in the playoffs to the eventual national champions - I know this one stings, but you should keep your heads held high and be proud for how you represented the Gull program. Best of luck to you all as you move on to your future endeavors. It's been a blast watching you play!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

+1 to Ned and GOGULL for their thoughts on the 2021 season.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Last time the D3 final was on ESPN2 was either 1999 or 2000; it was one of the Middlebury-Salisbury matchups. I could see an ESPN+ airing, but I really doubt it ever makes it onto one of their broadcast channels again.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:56 pm
LarumVictoia wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:07 pm Ridiculous call by ref in that situation
what should they have done? no call?
offside?

there has to be a call. what's the call?

No there doesn't... A "no call" would have been the right move. The refs chose to hang onto their flags plenty of times during the game. The offensive player ran into the D-man as he ran down the midline - The D-man has as much right to that space as the attackman if he gets there first. The D-man didn't lower his shoulder. There could be an argument made that the D-man lifted the stick , but as mentioned, the O-player initiated the contact which caused him to fall/flop. Point is, the ref should not have handed them a fast break on on a silver platter and then allow the play to resume before the whistle. at that point in the game when arguments can me made both ways.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

LarumVictoia wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:11 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:56 pm
LarumVictoia wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:07 pm Ridiculous call by ref in that situation
what should they have done? no call?
offside?

there has to be a call. what's the call?

No there doesn't... A "no call" would have been the right move. The refs chose to hang onto their flags plenty of times during the game. The offensive player ran into the D-man as he ran down the midline - The D-man has as much right to that space as the attackman if he gets there first. The D-man didn't lower his shoulder. There could be an argument made that the D-man lifted the stick , but as mentioned, the O-player initiated the contact which caused him to fall/flop. Point is, the ref should not have handed them a fast break on on a silver platter and then allow the play to resume before the whistle. at that point in the game when arguments can me made both ways.
imo the call had to be made. the running restart with a 10-15 yd headstart was game changing.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

ah23 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:16 pm It would never be on ESPN/ESPN 2, or even ESPNU. The general interest/viewership for that would be absolutely minuscule. WatchESPN would definitely make sense (Lynchburg-W&L was on WatchESPN early in the 2020 season), but I assume the contract just doesn’t exist. I don’t mind that the NCAA broadcasts it, I just wish they did a better job.
What is the general interest/viewership for the Taft high school game tonight on ESPNU? Surely lower than that of a D2 or D3 final four or championship game? Alas the Taft game is sponsored by Geico.
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

LarumVictoia wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:28 pm
Oldbarndog wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:59 am Karma for hanging a 30 spot?
What the hell are you talking about - 3rd line guys in at half - What would you prefer "Monkey in the middle" keep-away?? Save us you stupid posts
Check the game sheet. Less than half the roster saw the field.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”