UNC v Syracuse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mr3Putt

UNC v Syracuse

Post by Mr3Putt »

UNC is 2-1 on the road ( 7 home games ). Your getting them out of there comfort zone on the road at the Dome. Both teams defenses are being questioned. UNC gives up 11, Syracuse gives up 12 goals a game. Carolina gave up 18 goals vs Va on 33 shots on goal. Kreig the Freshman made 15 saves last week. I think this is a big spot for him. First trip to the Dome vs an angry Syracuse team. He very easily could get lit up like a Christmas tree. I dont think UNC defense midfield handles Syracuse. Just too many athletes.
tech37

Re: UNC v Syracuse

Post by tech37 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:15 am UNC is 2-1 on the road ( 7 home games ). Your getting them out of there comfort zone on the road at the Dome. Both teams defenses are being questioned. UNC gives up 11, Syracuse gives up 12 goals a game. Carolina gave up 18 goals vs Va on 33 shots on goal. Kreig the Freshman made 15 saves last week. I think this is a big spot for him. First trip to the Dome vs an angry Syracuse team. He very easily could get lit up like a Christmas tree. I dont think UNC defense midfield handles Syracuse. Just too many athletes.
Sounds good Mr3Putt, if SU has the possessions. Lack of FOs and GBs... reasons for ND loss.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

ND won the game because they have the best defense in the country. Along w a rising goalie, tons of athletes. Also, there offense is starting to bud. Oh they have a pretty good FO tandem. The FOGO excuse , lack of possessions is the least of it. Syracuse has given up 36 goals at home to Army & ND. They have issues, not just face offs.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:42 am ND won the game because they have the best defense in the country. Along w a rising goalie, tons of athletes. Also, there offense is starting to bud. Oh they have a pretty good FO tandem. The FOGO excuse , lack of possessions is the least of it. Syracuse has given up 36 goals at home to Army & ND. They have issues, not just face offs.
I said "reasons", not only reasons. SU was up by 3 vs ND at end of 1st qtr... at that point in game, they controlled tempo, had possessions, and scored relatively easily. It was when ND started taking every FO and seemed to win every GB that the SU offense started pressing when they did have possessions.

Not taking anything away from ND. They played one helluva game and physically beat SU at their own game, especially GBs. Army did same.

I would question if ND's defense is better than Army's... I agree though that their's is one of the best.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's the way it goes these days though, tech, everyone is the best in the country. Best midfield line in the country, best defense in the country, best shooter in the country, best in the country, best in all of college lacrosse, best in the universe.
Of course all that depends on which commentator or fan you're listening to ,but I'll never figure out how there can be so many bests in the country.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:33 am That's the way it goes these days though, tech, everyone is the best in the country. Best midfield line in the country, best defense in the country, best shooter in the country, best in the country, best in all of college lacrosse, best in the universe.
Of course all that depends on which commentator or fan you're listening to ,but I'll never figure out how there can be so many bests in the country.
:D Yep, it's the Carcaterification of lax
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:36 am
DMac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:33 am That's the way it goes these days though, tech, everyone is the best in the country. Best midfield line in the country, best defense in the country, best shooter in the country, best in the country, best in all of college lacrosse, best in the universe.
:D Yep, it's the Carcaterification of lax
I love the specifics of it as well

“He’s the best shooter in the country from that spot on the field” and that spot on the field is like not close enough to be the crease but also not close enough to be top of the box. Just some random spot that apparently this guy is the best shooter from
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

A slicing and dicing so far.
durpadurp66

Post by durpadurp66 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:15 am UNC is 2-1 on the road ( 7 home games ). Your getting them out of there comfort zone on the road at the Dome. Both teams defenses are being questioned. UNC gives up 11, Syracuse gives up 12 goals a game. Carolina gave up 18 goals vs Va on 33 shots on goal. Kreig the Freshman made 15 saves last week. I think this is a big spot for him. First trip to the Dome vs an angry Syracuse team. He very easily could get lit up like a Christmas tree. I dont think UNC defense midfield handles Syracuse. Just too many athletes.
UNC seems to be doing just fine so far.
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

durpadurp66 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:09 pm
UNC seems to be doing just fine so far.
You think 🤔
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Well somehow Syracuse managed to top it's defensive performances against Army/ND in an even worse way. Carolina scored some of the easiest goals you could ever imagine. Honestly don't see the Orange winning another game this year. Not sure they derseve a bid even if the manage to pull one of the next 2 out.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Pensky Material wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:22 pm Well somehow Syracuse managed to top it's defensive performances against Army/ND in an even worse way. Carolina scored some of the easiest goals you could ever imagine. Honestly don't see the Orange winning another game this year. Not sure they derseve a bid even if the manage to pull one of the next 2 out.
They will likely get a bid if they pull one of the next two out, deserving or not. Nova, maybe Drexel, OSU look like the only competition.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

calourie wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:51 pm
Pensky Material wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:22 pm Well somehow Syracuse managed to top it's defensive performances against Army/ND in an even worse way. Carolina scored some of the easiest goals you could ever imagine. Honestly don't see the Orange winning another game this year. Not sure they derseve a bid even if the manage to pull one of the next 2 out.
They will likely get a bid if they pull one of the next two out, deserving or not. Nova, maybe Drexel, OSU look like the only competition.
If they beat UVA or ND, they're 1000% getting a bid. Not even a matter of debate

If they lose these next two but find a tomato can opponent to get to 6-6....that makes it interesting
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Whats the deal with Syracuse this year? Pretty anemic performance by all (except maybe Dordevic) from start to finish in this one. On senior day to boot.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:10 pm Whats the deal with Syracuse this year? Pretty anemic performance by all (except maybe Dordevic) from start to finish in this one. On senior day to boot.
Their #1 long pole is a DIII guy
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:10 pm Whats the deal with Syracuse this year? Pretty anemic performance by all (except maybe Dordevic) from start to finish in this one. On senior day to boot.
I 'm not sure where to start right now? Face-offs have been inconsistent to bad, defense collectively has mostly been bad and Porter hasn't been able to bail them out enough. Offense has mostly been efficient when they manage enough possessions but the last few games I'm not sure what they're trying to do out there. Rehfuss has been mostly good but they should run more through Hiltz.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Pensky Material wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 pm I 'm not sure where to start right now? Face-offs have been inconsistent to bad, defense collectively has mostly been bad and Porter hasn't been able to bail them out enough. Offense has mostly been efficient when they manage enough possessions but the last few games I'm not sure what they're trying to do out there. Rehfuss has been mostly good but they should run more through Hiltz.
Rehfuss has a lot of pressure on him. Scanlan and Hiltz aren't dodging threats and work better off ball. They could really use one of those midfielders taking on more of a distributor role from the top. Would add a really nice dimension to that offense.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pensky Material wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 pm
I 'm not sure where to start right now? Face-offs have been inconsistent to bad, defense collectively has mostly been bad and Porter hasn't been able to bail them out enough. Offense has mostly been efficient when they manage enough possessions but the last few games I'm not sure what they're trying to do out there. Rehfuss has been mostly good but they should run more through Hiltz.
The O should absolutely be running through Hiltz, tell me a better passer in the game. This kid's stick is incredible, throws 20-30 yard lightning bolts dead nuts into the stick with very little room or time needed. He should be touching the ball a whole lot more than he is. I wouldn't blame him if he transferred to a team where his skills are more valued and the players around him recognize the potential there with a little off ball movement. It took JD three or so games to recognize that he should be on that starting attack unit over Cook. Think about that for a minute (Cook 1 G this year).
That best in all of college lacrosse midfield line bought the hype and believed it (never when it was being screamed the loudest did I). Too often these guys hold on to the ball for too long, make their mind up the second they get a pass that they're going to shoot and come hell or high water they do...good shot or not. For quite some time when I've watched the the rest of the ACC I've thought Cuse would get hammered by any one of those teams, they just don't play on the same level. Anyone care to wager that Va will get that series tied up again including number of goals scored the next time they meet? #22....no comment. This team plays like they're Syracuse and their history will win games for them, trouble is they don't play with anywhere near the same fire or at anywhere near the same speed as the teams that made that history. I'll be damn surprised if Cuse doesn't end up with a 5 and 6 record....and no, they shouldn't make the tourney.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Mentioned it in the past, they have no offensive flow in sets. Guys are always in each other's way. 6v6 offense they struggle big time
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:51 am
Pensky Material wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 pm
The O should absolutely be running through Hiltz, tell me a better passer in the game. This kid's stick is incredible, throws 20-30 yard lightning bolts dead nuts into the stick with very little room or time needed. He should be touching the ball a whole lot more than he is. I wouldn't blame him if he transferred to a team where his skills are more valued and the players around him recognize the potential there with a little off ball movement. It took JD three or so games to recognize that he should be on that starting attack unit over Cook. Think about that for a minute (Cook 1 G this year).
That best in all of college lacrosse midfield line bought the hype and believed it (never when it was being screamed the loudest did I). Too often these guys hold on to the ball for too long, make their mind up the second they get a pass that they're going to shoot and come hell or high water they do...good shot or not. For quite some time when I've watched the the rest of the ACC I've thought Cuse would get hammered by any one of those teams, they just don't play on the same level. Anyone care to wager that Va will get that series tied up again including number of goals scored the next time they meet? #22....no comment. This team plays like they're Syracuse and their history will win games for them, trouble is they don't play with anywhere near the same fire or at anywhere near the same speed as the teams that made that history. I'll be damn surprised if Cuse doesn't end up with a 5 and 6 record....and no, they shouldn't make the tourney.
hiltz started after the 1st game. and prior to 1st game army they'd been practicing 2 weeks and had no scrimmages.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”