ISL 2021

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: ISL 2021

Post by Laxxal22 »

I didn't catch the Friday game at all but the Bostonlaxnet write said Rideout took/won most of the draws on Friday. He played great on Saturday as well and ran a lot of omid shifts as well. The way he runs kind of reminds me of a punt returner and he was one of the few Seb's middies who could penetrate with north/south. Trey Brown did a good job on Aidan Maguire (who seemed to play most of the game at attack). Thought both goalies looked strong. The gap wasn't very big imo, but BH made more of the little plays which led to the big plays and goals.

Seb's and Belmont Hill have both released tentative schedules for the rest of the season an they're pretty juicy. Maintaining the Friday/Saturday schedule Seb's will go @Govs, Govs, @Rivers, Nobles, Thayer, @Thayer, @Tabor, Tabor. BH will go RL, @RL, @Nobles, Rivers, @Govs, Govs, @Milton, Deerfield. Bummed out not to see Middlesex take on either squad, but Belmont Hill-Deerfield in late May is a treat. Hope these games all get played.
Laxboy78

Post by Laxboy78 »

How do you see Govs matching up against Sebs?
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Laxboy78 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:34 pm How do you see Govs matching up against Sebs?
Govs doesn’t have a fogo, and after seeing Lawrence Academy hang with Govs until the the start of the 4th, Sebs beats Govs easily.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Aidan O'Connor is a pretty good faceoff guy and also having Olenik faceoff and disrupt with the pole seemed to work pretty well in Govs' game against Brooks. Govs looks talented but tough to know how talented given who they've played. It'll be a big jump in competition against a Seb's squad that's already been in a few rock fights and will be pissed after the Belmont Hill results. Should be pretty competitive though.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Tabor senior Jahmeir Warfield (Lsm/Def) committed to U Albany yesterday. Nice to see a kid pick up a D1 opportunity pretty late in the recruiting timeline. He definitely has the potential to be a beast in college.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Middlesex and Milton games are canceled this weekend for all sports because of some Covid cases on the Middlesex campus.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:47 am Middlesex and Milton games are canceled this weekend for all sports because of some Covid cases on the Middlesex campus.
That's unfortunate, hope everyone is okay. Seems like Milton has had bad luck so far this spring with opponents having Covid issues.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Two really interesting matchups this weekend. Nobles and Rivers appear to be pretty evenly matched while Seb’s should provide a good yardstick for where Govs is this year. Milton was able to schedule Thayer to replace Middlesex.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:05 pm Two really interesting matchups this weekend. Nobles and Rivers appear to be pretty evenly matched while Seb’s should provide a good yardstick for where Govs is this year. Milton was able to schedule Thayer to replace Middlesex.
Today's games with livestream links where applicable. Weather may affect some streams today.

Seb's @ Govs: First real test for Govs and should show where their relative strength to the top of the league. 4:30 start https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwx8PO ... 7Kmp5JlBtA

Tabor @ St. George's: As far as I know it's the first competition for St. G's. Tabor has looked strong so far. 3:45 start https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmUd_SLI4eg

Roxbury Latin @ Belmont Hill: I'm sure RL will play hard but it's tough match up for them. 4:30 start https://bbiglive.com/events/30-belmont- ... dSeh6JJqDA
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Some interesting games this weekend. Not sure if they’re all happening so please correct any mistakes. I'm traveling tomorrow but will try to share any livestream links that I see pop up.

Belmont Hill & St. Seb’s v. Nobles & Rivers: Two opponents instead of home & away back-to-backs. BH-Nobles is the only non rematch from a prior scrimmage. Two of those scrimmages, BH-Rivers & Seb’s-Nobles, were blowouts All four games should be tighter and competitive enough to fall into upset range, but I think BH & Seb’s continue to show as the clear 1 & 2 teams respectively.

Thayer v. Tabor: Tabor has put up impressive scores but against traditionally weaker competition. Volume turns up on their season as they go Thayer, Nobles, Seb’s over the next three weekends. Thayer played Nobles tough and then had nice wins over Milton and BB&N. This could definitely end up as a split.

Middlesex v. Govs: Anybody know if Middlesex Covid issues have cleared and these games will be played? Middlesex has been dominant so far but Govs presents a much tougher challenge. The Red Dogs dropped two to Seb’s (the second by 8 goals) but the gap doesn’t feel that wide.

BB&N v. Milton: Should be a nice two-game match up for two improving programs.

Brooks @ Lawrence (Saturday only): I expect LA to be a few goals stronger in this match up.

St. George’s @ Groton (Friday only): I expect Groton to win by a wide margin.

St. Mark’s @ Roxbury Latin (Friday only): Could be close but I expect RL to be a few goals better.
Laxboy78

Post by Laxboy78 »

I think Middlesex vs Govs is cancelled.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Lawrence @ Brooks 4:45 Friday and @ Lawrence 4:00 Saturday.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Some streams

Nobles-Belmont Hill @3:30 - https://youtu.be/oFazQAybNrw

Seb’s-Rivers @4:00 - https://vimeo.com/546495838
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

BH over Nobles 13-12 - Braden Reilly 5G
Seb’s over Rivers 15-14 - Frisoli 5G
Milton over BB&N 13-11 - Ralphie Vogel 3G 5A
Thayer over Tabor 10-8

I could not find other scores easily, but I assume that RL and Groton won handily. Another big day for Nobles as they take on Seb’s.
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

What an amazing set of games yesterday. All close games.
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Can Opener wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:46 am BH over Nobles 13-12 - Braden Reilly 5G
Seb’s over Rivers 15-14 - Frisoli 5G
Milton over BB&N 13-11 - Ralphie Vogel 3G 5A
Thayer over Tabor 10-8

I could not find other scores easily, but I assume that RL and Groton won handily. Another big day for Nobles as they take on Seb’s.
Lawrence over Brooks 14-7
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Some great games this weekend.

Nobles-Bel Hill (13-12 BH win) recap from Bostonlax: https://bostonlax.net/2021-isl-recap-be ... nobles-12/ Belmont Hill almost always seems to end up on the right side of one-goal games.

Thayer-Tabor game #2 (12-10 Thayer win) recap from Bostonlax: https://bostonlax.net/2021-isl-video-re ... -tabor-10/ Nice two-game sweep for Thayer. Big test in next weekend's set with Seb's.

I caught most of the Seb's-Nobles stream on Saturday (17-13 Seb's win). Seb's raced out to a 6-0 lead. Nobles chipped away over the course of the game. I think they got it to a 1-2 goal deficit. Seb's opened up the gap again late and the game ended 17-13. It's understandable that Nobles started slow after a close/tough loss to BH the day before, but Seb's has some team strengths that have proved to make this a tough match up for Nobles this season.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

A look at some of tomorrow and Saturday's games.

Belmont Hill-Govs: Govs has the talent to hang around, but they haven't played anyone since they got roughed up by Seb's two weeks ago and the competition they faced before that was not on BH's level. Glad Govs got to play this season but they haven’t had the chance to fully hit their stride and certainly not enough to keep pace with BH.

St. Seb's-Thayer: Should be two good games. Thayer has made some strides this season and it's still a pretty young team despite a strong senior class. Seb's has tinkered with the line up some, not sure if it's due to injury or practice performance, but some of the younger guys have really stepped it up. Seb's by 3-4 in each, but an upset wouldn't surprise me.

Nobles-Tabor: Another really good one. Both teams are going to come out firing after each dropping two games last weekend. Based on common opponents Nobles looks stronger but Tabor winning one or both wouldn't be surprising.

Middlesex-St. George's: This appears to be cancelled and per the currently listed schedule Middlesex looks to be done for the year. I hope I'm wrong about that. Obviously there are bigger problems and people who lost a whole lot more from Covid, but this is sad. Middlesex has had two great teams over the past two seasons and they only got to play two games total. I feel for them.

Rivers-Milton: Rivers has had a bunch of close/tough losses. I expect them to release some of those frustrations on Milton, who's had a nice season but hasn't faced any of the league's iron yet.

Roxbury Latin-Lawrence: No idea on this one. I feel it should be competitive as LA has a strong team by their typical standards while RL might be a little down.

One Game only
BB&N @ St. Mark's: Should be close, I'll take BB&N by a few.

Brooks @ Groton: Groton should take this one by a decent margin.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Thanks for the preview. Much appreciated. I am not sure what to make of Govs this year. I expected more firepower. You know them better than I do, but I wonder if it’s a chemistry issue or bad luck on matchups so far. RL should win their game, but they are another tough team to define. BB&N got bitten hard by injuries, but there is plenty of talent to win this game.

Biggest upset potential on this list is Milton over Rivers. MA entered the season as the only ISL team without a college commit, but is 4-1. The squad is very young, with sophomore attackman Vogel (probably) leading the ISL in points per game. He is putting up some gaudy numbers and has very high lax IQ. His phone will ring early and often on September 1. Sophomore pole and middie are also outstanding. Freshman FO guy winning a majority so far. Top pole junior Casagrande can mark anyone in the league and junior goalie has shown streaks of brilliance. A couple of football studs are outstanding as D middies. The handful of seniors have been smart and poised. Not much depth, but Milton could surprise a frustrated Rivers. Unlikely, but possible.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Great to hear about Milton. I was really in the dark about them other than Casagrande heading into the season, but it looks like I hadn't heard of a lot of their best guys because are young. As I've said many times, that school has the bones to grow into a juggernaut of a lacrosse program.

A note from Middlesex on the cancelation of the rest of the season. Sad. https://twitter.com/MXSchoolBVL/status/ ... 1298665472

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”