W&L 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ctbagataway

W&L 2021

Post by ctbagataway »

Time to start the 2021 string, the season has officially started. Hard to tell exactly what last night’s game means without seeing more from Mary Washington, but the Generals looked ready to play. Great first half and answered when they needed to in the second. Strong face off advantage certainly helped, and the team dominated off the ground. Big fast bodies like #18 running hard through ground balls is always a good sign. I also liked the mix of scoring, and thought Taylor looked sharp.
Noz

Re: W&L 2021

Post by Noz »

Mary Wash Defense is HORRIFIC, but they got great goalie play last night. W&L D did a good job handling Mary Wash attack with faceguards & good slides. Can't judge the FOGO as UMW played nothing but freshmen there, but W&L definitely dominated that aspect.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

Starting offense looked good, especially considering it was the first game and they were without young Witherell and G. Mize. Pokorny looked good running the show from x. Things got a little ragged as they played more people off the bench. Thought the D was just ok, but they probably have not played much together yet. Hope Bou is not seriously hurt; did not see him come back into the game.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Great job by these young men to stay the course managing all the additional challenges they have faced due to covid. Impressive first half, perhaps a little lack of focus in the third but for a first outing I’d say well done. I was very impressed with the attack unit ( yes I know it’s Mary Washington ). Hopefully their first option Mize is back along with Porkorny and Schnorr on the crease, he’s a great target, your prototypical crease-man a bit like Fishman. The kid lit it up at Conestoga. That would give you Mulholland, Greenspon and Holiday for a first line. Greenspan would continue to play the wing. Face offs by committee says they don’t have a go to guy yet which after 1 game is fine, hope Bou is fine. Number 13 delivered as always,11 was 25% of the 60 teams shots not sure how that will translate against better goalies. 42 is a great addition, great feet, disciplined. #40 looks like he could be a surprise this season as well as #18, goes hard to ground balls w 6 and can cover and clear it. Let’s hope Mize is in the mix next game, boys got game. Let’s see how the D performs against SVU, first real test will be 3/20.

Just saw the Noke / Bridgewater game, I maybe wrong about that first real test. Noke looked terrible
islander

Post by islander »

Dehunt - don't overlook SVU - they will be a good test. Yes, they got destroyed by Salisbury but look at their other scores.

Lost 21-16 to HSC
Lost 18-8 to Lynchburg (was 9-7 in 3rd Q)
Lost 17-15 to Cabrini.

They can jump out and compete if you don't put them away immediately like CNU/Sals did.

Glad all the ODAC teams are officially playing with a game under their belts. Going to be a great week of lacrosse!
Dehuntshigwa’es

islander wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:44 am Dehunt - don't overlook SVU - they will be a good test. Yes, they got destroyed by Salisbury but look at their other scores.

Lost 21-16 to HSC
Lost 18-8 to Lynchburg (was 9-7 in 3rd Q)
Lost 17-15 to Cabrini.

They can jump out and compete if you don't put them away immediately like CNU/Sals did.

Glad all the ODAC teams are officially playing with a game under their belts. Going to be a great week of lacrosse!
I mentioned SVU and the threat they possess offensively. Can the W&L D hold them to 10 or less. The issue for SVU will be can they control W&L offense , I think the W&L offense will roll in that game. What I question was my concern over a resurgence in Roanoke ‘s fortunes which were misplaced. I watched the Bridgewater game, Noke was lucky a ref called off the Bridgewater winning goal with a minute left to play. Noke’s trajectory reminds me of what’s occurred at Washington College. Btw the Cabrini goalie might have had a really bad day
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Does anyone know why the game with Shenandoah was cancelled?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Faxlax wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:13 am Does anyone know why the game with Shenandoah was cancelled?
Says postponing on Shenandoah’s website,next game on Wednesday is cancelled for them....I suspect covid issues
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:25 am
Faxlax wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:13 am Does anyone know why the game with Shenandoah was cancelled?
Says postponing on Shenandoah’s website,next game on Wednesday is cancelled for them....I suspect covid issues
Shenadoah has a Covid issue
Dehuntshigwa’es

Great team and coaching effort, brilliant performance by#16 at SVU. Well coached team who wanted it more, what else can you say. Stat line of the night #16 , 8 goals 1 assist on only 13 shots, 6 GBs 1 for 1 on face offs, only ONE turnover.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
publaxguy

Post by publaxguy »

Generals looked somewhat unprepared for the 10 man ride. Didn't really see the scrap until things got dire in the 4th. W&L was severely out numbered on many of the groundball situations. SVU looked prepared for the roll back slide and baited a double several times before moving it forward. Back to work!
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Still in shock SVU beat WL... kudos to them for coming out and playing all 4 Q and getting the big upset.

SVU has improved a lot over the years but just look at CNU beat them 16-6 Lynchburg 18-8 and Salisbury 30-10 .. even Sydney put 21 up against them. WL lost by 5..
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Couldn't get a stop when needed, tip of the hat to 16, he was a beast
offense was stagnant most of the game
10 man ride was very effective. 80 yard shots retain posession but do little to generate fast break/unsettled offense
Dehuntshigwa’es

Question; Was the SVU loss a bigger loss than the loss to Morgan State?
https://theundefeated.com/features/hbcu ... l-history/
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

I was at that game. The disbelief permeated Wilson Field as the game wound down. No one could believe this team, which had lost Bauer, Chadwick, Lichtfuss, et al to graduation was not going to pull it out.

That was a bigger upset IMHO.

That team did get a measure of revenge when is beat Hopkins in the NCAA first round with Goalie Charlie Brown scoring with a one hopper from his side of the field against the ten man ride.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Faxlax wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:59 pm I was at that game. The disbelief permeated Wilson Field as the game wound down. No one could believe this team, which had lost Bauer, Chadwick, Lichtfuss, et al to graduation was not going to pull it out.

That was a bigger upset IMHO.

That team did get a measure of revenge when is beat Hopkins in the NCAA first round with Goalie Charlie Brown scoring with a one hopper from his side of the field against the ten man ride.
I was trying to be cute with the Morgan State game. It still appears in many rankings of great lacrosse upsets of all time. I believe the Morgan game still holds true to this day. I have to say last nights loss was shocking but that’s why the games are played.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:06 pm Question; Was the SVU loss a bigger loss than the loss to Morgan State?
https://theundefeated.com/features/hbcu ... l-history/
I hadn't heard about that game before, thank you for sharing sir.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Ha ha. You are too young :D
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Faxlax wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:12 pm Ha ha. You are too young :D
I had heard about the armadillo game though, which was two years before I was born!
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

That was another fun one and terrific example of how creative Coach Emmer was.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”