Virginia vs. Syracuse, 6 PM (ACCN)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Gatsby

Virginia vs. Syracuse, 6 PM (ACCN)

Post by Gatsby »

With different results against a common opponent, it could make you think this one will go the Hoos' way. But as we know, this was Cuse's first game after a delayed start to the season. We saw some rust with some missed passes. Did the many preseason AAs for Cuse get a full dose of rat poison, as Nick Saban would say, or do they just need more practice time?

It's early and this one could turn into a close game as usual between SU and UVA. SU will undoubtedly work to clean up the miscues and look to come back strong after an off performance. The last time they played in 2019, it was a close game that went to O.T.

Interesting matchups will be two strong faceoff guys, Phaup versus LaSalla. SU offense is powered by their midfield. UVA has a few scoring options at midfield and attack. Last week, the SU goalie seemed less explosive to the ball than normal especially down low but he has led the ACC in saves the past few years. Who will even be in goal for UVA? Gavin has tended to let some in early and then solidify. The Cuse defense is not yet in midseason form but the UVA defense is also young.

Let ACC play begin :!:
10stone5

Re: Virginia vs. Syracuse, 6 PM (ACCN)

Post by 10stone5 »

Nothing on Rode,
except speculation on Sabre that its not covid.
molo

Post by molo »

Will SU move 77 from the second midfield to he starting attack after the attack’s performance against Army West Point?
Kennedy, a superb lsm, played close d last week. Will they keep him there against UVA or have him swing between close and pole, especially since three of UVA’s four best offensive players play both attack and midfield?
Will UVA’s highest scoring middie of all time, heretofore relegated to the second unit, move up to the first? Will he play EMO?
Will the MVP of championship weekend in 2019, who has sat out the last two games, suit up?
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

As much as I want the Hoos, I think Cuse wins this. They have too much to prove to not steal this one.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The only way Cuse stands a chance in this game is if all the first game out of the gate and rusty stuff is true. That remains to be seen. One thing you know for certain is that Virginia is going to come at you at high speed and at frenzy pace....love the way they play the game. Cuse ready for that? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
One thing Cuse has in their favor is, I think it's their year to win it in OT to keep the beyond belief record these two teams have going on....think Va is up one game by one goal the way it stands now.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

The only positive going into this game for SU, IMO, is UVA's defense is not Army's defense.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

DMac wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:30 am The only way Cuse stands a chance in this game is if all the first game out of the gate and rusty stuff is true. That remains to be seen. One thing you know for certain is that Virginia is going to come at you at high speed and at frenzy pace....love the way they play the game. Cuse ready for that? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
One thing Cuse has in their favor is, I think it's their year to win it in OT to keep the beyond belief record these two teams have going on....think Va is up one game by one goal the way it stands now.
Orange paying price for those fall suspensions and their late start to practice. Dont see how all their issues gets straightened out in just five days but should see some progress .Tinker with personnel to improve. Orange plans to press Army backfired as they transitioned freely. Orange know UVA transitions and will adjust. Know Cavs ride but have not played agaisnt for nearly two years. Better be practicing for it.

Poorly placed passes, poorly placed shots. Dordevic and little else. Need sharper sticks , more movement and involvement-doable

5 on 3 breaks by Army hurt. Scheme or personnel? Neither was good. Mids need to get back, dmids need to get on and stay in front. ---doable

No Orange transition, no scrum wins on faceoffs . Two UVA strengths that Orange has matched in past, need to do more ---.remains to be seen

Team defense , KISS, back to basics ,communicating , swivel, stunting cutters , executing slide responsibilities -doable.

Army moved ball with several scoring. UVA trending to iso's and less spreading of offensive wealth which could help Orange Show zone once in a blue moon perhaps? Doable but Unlikely

Stop more shots than goals this week ? Doable Oulet a pass upfield once in awhile to help agaisnt ride ? Doable

Much is doable if focused . That' nothing but championship ' talk is downright embarrassing . Opponent is Virginia , heads better be ready to execute fundamentals, to handle ride and adversity otherwise orange will get smoked again.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

SU will be ready after getting embarrassed on Sunday. I'm picking SU by 1, in the typical SU/UVA barn-burner
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

molo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 pm Will SU move 77 from the second midfield to he starting attack after the attack’s performance against Army West Point?
Kennedy, a superb lsm, played close d last week. Will they keep him there against UVA or have him swing between close and pole, especially since three of UVA’s four best offensive players play both attack and midfield?
Will UVA’s highest scoring middie of all time, heretofore relegated to the second unit, move up to the first? Will he play EMO?
Will the MVP of championship weekend in 2019, who has sat out the last two games, suit up?
We'll gradually see more Hiltz throughout the season according to Desko but it doesn't sound like there'll be an immediate swap into the attack. Transfer defenseman Wykoff will likely be in the game.

We haven't heard anything about Rode but I imagine you'd have to stick with Gavin for now even if Rode is ready. Rode can be brought back against Air Force, maybe a little against High Point but them boys can score.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gatsby wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:50 pm
molo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:17 pm Will SU move 77 from the second midfield to he starting attack after the attack’s performance against Army West Point?
We'll gradually see more Hiltz throughout the season according to Desko but it doesn't sound like there'll be an immediate swap into the attack. Transfer defenseman Wykoff will likely be in the game.

We haven't heard anything about Rode but I imagine you'd have to stick with Gavin for now even if Rode is ready. Rode can be brought back against Air Force, maybe a little against High Point but them boys can score.
kennedy might far and away be their best cover defenseman. little doubt he will be on moore.
aitken sitchy is a little perplexing. maybe they're ready to break him out?
i expect if rode is cleared and it's not disciplinary, he goes if he's even gotten a practice or 2 in. he's the one they brung to the dance.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Might swing if faceoff and clearing issues.

Is Rode practicing and available? Very good vet tender who triggers transition with outlets . Large reason Cavs won it all in 2019.

Remember when Tiffany started hot frosh Burkinshaw in Dome only to pull him after several loose goals and reinsert Rode for good.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:14 pm

kennedy might far and away be their best cover defenseman. little doubt he will be on moore.
i expect if rode is cleared and it's not disciplinary, he goes if he's even gotten a practice or 2 in. he's the one they brung to the dance.
Kennedy is their best defenseman so yes i agree I doubt he's not covering Moore. No offense to Laviano but if they're going to double pole the midfield I assume he's get the shorty.

So Rhode's situation isn't Covid related?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Pensky Material wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:24 pm

Kennedy is their best defenseman so yes i agree I doubt he's not covering Moore. No offense to Laviano but if they're going to double pole the midfield I assume he's get the shorty.

don't think anything has leaked credibly or officially on rode one way or the other. maybe it has. this week would be > 14 days.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Syracuse rarely double poles a midfield. Even when they double pole the face off wings, they often switch one of those poles onto an attackmen at the first chance. DiPietro is probably the interior defender that gets the Laviano match up, but maybe they use his big body vs. Cormier. Grant Murphy is pretty versatile, so I could see him on a number of different players.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Stats to watch:

UVA has a 20% advantage in clears (.873 success vs .672 opposition), 42% percent advantage in caused TO's and a 43% advantage in FO's contributing to a 22% advantage in shots taken. SU allows these stats to stand, they lose. Period.

Don't think for a second their opposition matters against their favor. Two opponents were ranked in top 11 and one just beat SU soundly.

SU loses, we over estimated their success in last year's shortened season. UVA loses, we say last week was first week gitters for SU.

Prediction: UVA 17 SU 13. UVA has been looking at this date on the calendar too.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

The rumors about Rode can stop. Lars has been quoted in media this week that he thinks "Rode is back very, very soon and he is their starting goalie and in the cage when available" Lars was excited and very complimentary of how well Gavin has done in Rode's absence. Pretty obvious that they are waiting and expecting clearance to play soon. It might be Cuse but if not the next week.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:37 pm

The rumors about Rode can stop. Lars has been quoted in media this week that he thinks "Rode is back very, very soon and he is their starting goalie and in the cage when available" Pretty obvious that they are waiting and expecting clearance to play soon. It might be Cuse but if not the next week.
he was just asking a question. they put their stake in the ground with rode at syracuse 2 years ago. they finished with a champ, and he was ff mvp.

given acc protocols (in july) on covid were 10 days positive test, 14 exposure he'd be potentially eligible tomorrow, if that's what it was. but if it was exposure, that could've been isolation up to even them travelling. maybe no practices. hoo the hell knows?
given hippa laws, maybe they aren't able to give specifics, not that they do or would even if it was something else.

rode's the guy when he's eligible to be back if it's covid. you have backups to step in when needed.
he's done a more than admirable job.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I will go with the overhype, kiss of death angle,

the IL / ESPN yahoos are doubling down on their
Syracuse national championship or bust, Syracuse
the center of the lacrosse universe, mistake.

The kiss of death, an IL/ESPN overhype endorsement.

So then, Cavs will handle them handily.
bananas

Post by bananas »

No need to overthink

Va scored 14 and 15 agaisnt two very good defenses .

VA had a legit scrimmage, now playing fourth game .

7 days ago UVA> Army>> Cuse..

5 practices to fix all what ails? Too short

UVA 18 Syracuse 12
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Way too many poor choices made by the Orange against Army to think they could hang with Virginia tomorrow. Looked pretty low-energy too.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”