Feedback 2021

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
Matnum PI

Feedback 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

I just want to go on record saying that it is such a pleasure to finally see (based on our New Posts) our forum become a lacrosse forum again.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Cletus

Re: Feedback 2021

Post by Cletus »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:30 am I just want to go on record saying that it is such a pleasure to finally see (based on our New Posts) our forum become a lacrosse forum again.
Hear, hear!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Suggestion:

Every once in a while I’ll scroll back through the topics and see many that never “caught fire” and haven’t seen any new posts for over a year or more. What if a new section was established where these out of circulation topics can go to rest?

And of course any of the archived topics could always “go live” again if someone chooses to post there.

Just an OCD maintenance thought...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

"RECYLCE BIN"
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Has anyone else noticed the website taking a little longer to load these days? I find it happens both on my phone and laptop. It always loads but it is noticeably slower. Just thought I'd mention it. Might be a symptom of something else.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Yes, but I just assumed that final four traffic was higher than at any previous time.
There was a brief glitch causing a total outage, but that was already reported.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:51 am Yes, but I just assumed that final four traffic was higher than at any previous time.
After the outage, we upgraded the hosting service. Not sure if this helped the loading speed but... We can't have outages.
Caddy Day
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:21 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:51 am Yes, but I just assumed that final four traffic was higher than at any previous time.
After the outage, we upgraded the hosting service. Not sure if this helped the loading speed but... We can't have outages.

Are you the Admin? Inquiring minds would like to know....

JoeMauer89!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:11 pm Are you the Admin? Inquiring minds would like to know....
:) No. I am not. Different guy with a different hat. I just own the house where this party happens.
Caddy Day
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Accessing FanLax on my phone is much different these days. Really slow. Takes a long time to load certain pages. Sometimes even when I press on the button, there’s no response for 10/15 seconds.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:58 pmnot for nuthin, but when this site started? you asked for input on a host of things. i didn't see it then, giving mine now.

geometrically expanding punishments seems severe to infinity. i certainly get it you don't want to be spending days or hours on end with the same cast of characters breaking what you believe you have set up for decorum.
that said, anything beyond a month seems egregious outside of outright bot activity and some real special circumstance. my opinion.
First, thank you. The feedback helps. Second, I wholeheartedly agree. Especially during the season. In theory, a post-er could slip-up and miss an entire season. So, having a ceiling for penalties would most certainly make sense in those circumstances. That's something we could definitely do. With this said... wgdsr, what does Admin do with post-ers who, in no uncertain terms, do not care about the rules? For those post-ers, there's something to be said for just getting them off the site. No?
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:06 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:58 pmnot for nuthin, but when this site started? you asked for input on a host of things. i didn't see it then, giving mine now.

geometrically expanding punishments seems severe to infinity. i certainly get it you don't want to be spending days or hours on end with the same cast of characters breaking what you believe you have set up for decorum.
that said, anything beyond a month seems egregious outside of outright bot activity and some real special circumstance. my opinion.
First, thank you. The feedback helps. Second, I wholeheartedly agree. Especially during the season. In theory, a post-er could slip-up and miss an entire season. So, having a ceiling for penalties would most certainly make sense in those circumstances. That's something we could definitely do. With this said... wgdsr, what does Admin do with post-ers who, in no uncertain terms, do not care about the rules? For those post-ers, there's something to be said for just getting them off the site. No?
that's your call, my man. i'm not diving into the personalities and back and forth here. but i'll say only what i alluded to earlier today. everybody has blind spots. everyone. in this case or another, that may lead you or any human to making biased choices. so make them wisely.

maybe it comes down to how often you can work the gavel. is why i threw out a month.

without distinguishing characters in all the dust ups, i don't necessarily agree that all of the scenarios that have led to suspensions (small and larger) are ones i agree with outcomes, given everything. but i don't make the calls. and if 1 or 2, 3 are questionable (even if not off the table egregious)...and punishment escalates, then labeled serial.
your site.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:20 pm ...and if 1 or 2, 3 are questionable (even if not off the table egregious)...and punishment escalates, then labeled serial...
agreed. makes sense.
Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Just a few Nuke LaLoosh feedback thoughts before work...

I'm including this brief clip from a 1988 George Carlin concert entitled (strangely enough) "What am I Doing in New Jersey?" His comments specifically about the two knobs on the radio have been a help to me on the WD1 boards. After a while in my back and forth with a few members, I felt their minds were made up and closed about me and "let's shake hands and bury the hatchet" wasn't in their vocabulary or makeup. At that point I tried the Foe feature FanLax includes in its package. It has made all the difference. That may be an option some members haven't considered. I certainly hadn't up until a few weeks ago. There's a Curiosity Killed the Cat element in human nature. We wanna see what they said in response. It's a powerful compulsion but it can be overcome with the help of this Foe feature. It's a kind of variation on what Carlin says is part of freedom of choice. One of the knobs on the radio turns it on and off and the other changes the station. Through the Foe feature, I turned these other members off so that I don't have to see their responses anymore. The stress valve has been greatly relieved. It's a good solution to butting heads with others. We don't have to live up to each others standards. The only standards all members have to live up to are the ones set by the FanLax Charter Statement and Rulebook--and admin who is the enforcer of those standards.

Secondly, I think the "geometrically expanding punishments" (as wgdsr put it) are good and necessary. They accomplish the same thing after a while of getting rid of the offending poster. Plus--everyone gets warned beforehand. If I've already got time in the box, and I know the next time will be for 16 days, and Final Four weekend is coming up--once I get warned, I have the choice to either heed the warning, or just keep right on engaging in a volatile back-and-forth. If I get whacked, that's on me.

I would also recommend that the poster who gets whistled into the penalty box not be able to post anywhere, not even in the penalty box.

I think admin is doing a great job in a relatively thankless position. Just like the example Tommy No gave under another topic, there are times when people immaturely flip out at being disciplined. And other folks after a warning become "gentle as a puppy dog" as CO put it in quoting from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The standard is there--you violate it after a warning at your own risk.
Last edited by OuttaNowhereWregget on Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:31 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:20 pm ...and if 1 or 2, 3 are questionable (even if not off the table egregious)...and punishment escalates, then labeled serial...
agreed. makes sense.
Again, Matnum........you have set a standard but when the standard runs through the gamut of people complaining on being "attacked" you certainly get a very bad bias. Some people just have such thin skin and skew the standard in a certain manner. If posters can not take the heat they certainly should not be "provocative". I think you need to see where these complaints are originating from.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bart wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:34 am ...Some people just have such thin skin and skew the standard in a certain manner. If posters can not take the heat they certainly should not be "provocative". I think you need to see where these complaints are originating from.
Agreed. Lesson learned from the Women's Forum.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:13 amI would also recommend that the poster who gets whistled into the penalty box not be able to post anywhere, not even in the penalty box.
The current system has the whistled post-er with the ability to post within the box but the post only gets posted after Admin allows the post. In other words, not all posts are posted. Only the ones Admin allows.
Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:43 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:13 amI would also recommend that the poster who gets whistled into the penalty box not be able to post anywhere, not even in the penalty box.
The current system has the whistled post-er with the ability to post within the box but the post only gets posted after Admin allows the post. In other words, not all posts are posted. Only the ones Admin allows.
Gotcha. Thanks for the elucidation.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:13 am Just a few Nuke LaLoosh feedback thoughts before work...

I'm including this brief clip from a 1988 George Carlin concert entitled (strangely enough) "What am I Doing in New Jersey?" His comments specifically about the two knobs on the radio have been a help to me on the WD1 boards. After a while in my back and forth with a few members, I felt their minds were made up and closed about me and "let's shake hands and bury the hatchet" wasn't in their vocabulary or makeup. At that point I tried the Foe feature FanLax includes in its package. It has made all the difference. That may be an option some members haven't considered. I certainly hadn't up until a few weeks ago. There's a Curiosity Killed the Cat element in human nature. We wanna see what they said in response. It's a powerful compulsion but it can be overcome with the help of this Foe feature. It's a kind of variation on what Carlin says is part of freedom of choice. One of the knobs on the radio turns it on and off and the other changes the station. Through the Foe feature, I turned these other members off so that I don't have to see their responses anymore. The stress valve has been greatly relieved. It's a good solution to butting heads with others. We don't have to live up to each others standards. The only standards all members have to live up to are the ones set by the FanLax Charter Statement and Rulebook--and admin who is the enforcer of those standards.

Secondly, I think the "geometrically expanding punishments" (as wgdsr put it) are good and necessary. They accomplish the same thing after a while of getting rid of the offending poster. Plus--everyone gets warned beforehand. If I've already got time in the box, and I know the next time will be for 16 days, and Final Four weekend is coming up--once I get warned, I have the choice to either heed the warning, or just keep right on engaging in a volatile back-and-forth. If I get whacked, that's on me.

I would also recommend that the poster who gets whistled into the penalty box not be able to post anywhere, not even in the penalty box.

I think admin is doing a great job in a relatively thankless position. Just like the example Tommy No gave under another topic, there are times when people immaturely flip out at being disciplined. And other folks after a warning become "gentle as a puppy dog" as CO put it in quoting from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The standard is there--you violate it after a warning at your own risk.
:lol: :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes sir, that really is one huge load of stench. Who has members (as in plural) on their foe list?
The definition of mob mentality is a bunch of long time posters who have bantered with one another for a number of years throwing some criticism your way. The answer to that is to put those bullies on your foe list and continue on with your ways in your wonderful world of oblivion where trouble melts like lemon drops.
Then we get a lesson on the 1st amendment.
Geezuz H.
Warning:
This one'll stay on your loop for awhile too, 8meter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26BvHOD_sg&t=215s

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”