LIBERTY LEAGUE 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SouthernLaxGenius

Re: LIBERTY LEAGUE 2021

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Ithaca traveling back up to Canton is going to be tough. Hoping the game is a little more competitive this time.

Absolutely looking forward to Union traveling to Rochester for a rematch (last time it was a 1 goal game out there and I believe the Tigers were #1 in the country) 8-)
CTLaxFan15

Post by CTLaxFan15 »

Game day for semifinals, looking forward to seeing both matchups. RIT Union round 2 going to be awesome watch and SLU should take care of Ithaca.

On another note after reading some of the threads and info on the NCAA tournament it is not sounding good for 2 Liberty League teams in NCAA.. all the ridiculous "grow the game" AQs and only 2 pool C bids does not bode well for Liberty. Back to back years of super strong Liberty League competition down the drain (thought league could of been 3-4 bid league last year), so unfortunate. Knowing the committee in recent years, (Gettysburg getting in and losing to SJF and Ursinus losing to Springfield in 2019), runners up in Liberty will likely be left out if not named RIT to runners up of Centennial, C2C, ODAC, MAC.... We shall see, but best shot would be RIT as a Pool C with SLU or Ithaca taking AQ. Good luck to all
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

CT-I think you're right in your assessment. Slim chance they get two from LL-

The NCAA needs to expand the tournament- too many teams out there and with AQs taking up most slots it hurts the teams that are part of strong conferences and could make noise in the tournament.

On the women's D3 side this year #5 Gettysburg didn't make it in.
They had one loss on the year to #1 F&M in Centennial Finals 17-14 and they don't get in.
Madness.
CTLaxFan15

Post by CTLaxFan15 »

TopShelf585 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am CT-I think you're right in your assessment. Slim chance they get two from LL-

The NCAA needs to expand the tournament- too many teams out there and with AQs taking up most slots it hurts the teams that are part of strong conferences and could make noise in the tournament.

They had one loss on the year to #1 F&M in Centennial Finals 17-14 and they don't get in.
Madness.
Can only imagine how watered down the tournament will be this year with the limited Pool C, especially on the "North" side. Tufts and RIT, if win AQs, would cake walk through entire field until they meet each other in North finals, who wants to see RIT beat SUNY Maritime or New England College by 20 in the 3rd round or maybe quarterfinals.... really unfortunate for LL and NESCAC teams who would put on great show with competitive games.

The women's D3 draw was sign for what's to come, feel for seniors having their past two seasons ended early, and this time because Grove City AQ is more important to NCAA than a competitive tournament, all around unfortunate situation and hoping for return to bigger and better tournament in 2022
SouthernLaxGenius

Didn't RIT and Union both get in 2019?

It seems the LL is a 3 team race year in and year out (RIT leading the pack with Union and SLU right behind them; maybe sprinkle in RPI/Ithaca every now and then) and isn't as strong top to bottom as other conferences hence why OOC games seem to play a big part of them not getting 2 teams a number of years (there have been some controversies, trust me I know).

It is tough to get 2 bids in a covid/schedule reduced year and not beating the top dog in the conference.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

TopShelf585 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am On the women's D3 side this year #5 Gettysburg didn't make it in.
Madness.
Replying to this within the D3 Women's Forum...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:10 am Didn't RIT and Union both get in 2019?
Don't get me started- yes they both got in.
Then they were placed in the same bracket and met up after their first game.
SouthernLaxGenius

TopShelf585 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:27 pm
I understand the frustration with travel logistics, save money, geography influenced, etc as NCAA is like that across all divisions with men's lacrosse.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

TopShelf585 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am The NCAA needs to expand the tournament- too many teams out there and with AQs taking up most slots it hurts the teams that are part of strong conferences and could make noise in the tournament.
I don't think expanding the tourney is the answer. I think the answer is to be more stringent about which conferences get AQ spots and convert a number of the AQ spots that go to high school conferences into at-large Pool C bids. If there are individual teams from noncompetitive conferences that show they are good enough to merit a shot at a title, then they should absolutely get in...as at-large bids. Otherwise, they should not be stealing spots from legitimate programs just to get blown out by 25 goals every year.
Madness.
The #5 (Gettysburg), #11 (Wesleyan), and #13 (York) ranked teams all were left out of the tournament. Instead, the NCAA awarded Pool C bids to
  • unranked, three-loss Carroll, whose losses are by 10, 9, and 16 goals and who got absolutely massacred in their CCG
  • unranked three-loss Illinois Wesleyan, who didn't even make their CCG
It's a farce, and it does not inspire confidence in the decision making process this weekend.
TopShelf585 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:27 pm
SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:10 am Didn't RIT and Union both get in 2019?
Welcome to the NESCAC literally every year!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

TopShelf585 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am
Playing devil's advocate here .....

I think we all acknowledge there are teams in the tournament every year that have zero shot at winning a game against a Top 10 program, yet alone contend for a national championship. But in any given year there are really only a handful of teams that have real Championship potential. It's no coincidence that Salisbury and Tufts have for the most part dominated Memorial Day weekend for some time (Wesleyan and Cabrini not withstanding of course). But the real consideration should be is it fair to ask a RIT to have to beat Union or SLU a (potential) third time? And if double and triple bids were common place for conferences not named NESCAC, wouldn't that completely marginalize the Conference Tournaments? I for one think the Conference Tournaments are what are the highlight of the D3 landscape and the most exciting thing. Long standing rivalries that every year has not only the conference bragging rights attached but also that coveted NCAA AQ! To whine for more invites for a conference must by definition mean your team doesn't believe it can beat the Conference top dog. Stop whining and get to work! Because I have news for you, the NCAA doesn't care that the best 36 teams aren't in the tournament so it's not changing.

I think we have seen that teams that are TRUE national contenders but for some reason didn't win the available AQ, are invited. I think we also need to recognize that 2021 is a unique year and I'm still willing to bet, the best team still wins the National Championship this year.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Nosey Ned wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:15 pm
TopShelf585 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:12 am
Playing devil's advocate here .....

I think we all acknowledge there are teams in the tournament every year that have zero shot at winning a game against a Top 10 program, yet alone contend for a national championship. But in any given year there are really only a handful of teams that have real Championship potential. It's no coincidence that Salisbury and Tufts have for the most part dominated Memorial Day weekend for some time (Wesleyan and Cabrini not withstanding of course). But the real consideration should be is it fair to ask a RIT to have to beat Union or SLU a (potential) third time? And if double and triple bids were common place for conferences not named NESCAC, wouldn't that completely marginalize the Conference Tournaments? I for one think the Conference Tournaments are what are the highlight of the D3 landscape and the most exciting thing. Long standing rivalries that every year has not only the conference bragging rights attached but also that coveted NCAA AQ! To whine for more invites for a conference must by definition mean your team doesn't believe it can beat the Conference top dog. Stop whining and get to work! Because I have news for you, the NCAA doesn't care that the best 36 teams aren't in the tournament so it's not changing.

I think we have seen that teams that are TRUE national contenders but for some reason didn't win the available AQ, are invited. I think we also need to recognize that 2021 is a unique year and I'm still willing to bet, the best team still wins the National Championship this year.
Exactly...
richard

Post by richard »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:50 am Ithaca traveling back up to Canton is going to be tough. Hoping the game is a little more competitive this time.

Absolutely looking forward to Union traveling to Rochester for a rematch (last time it was a 1 goal game out there and I believe the Tigers were #1 in the country) 8-)
Ithaca has been a thorn in SLU s side several times in the recent past and kept them from getting an at large bid at least twice. SLU need to come out hot and take care of the ball. I would love to see SLU and Union in the final in Canton. It's a game I could make it to. My fingers are crossed.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Is anyone else seeing a blank screen for the RIT-Union webcast?
ergit

Post by ergit »

ah23 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:07 pm Is anyone else seeing a blank screen for the RIT-Union webcast?
No, feed is fine.
SouthernLaxGenius

ergit wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:58 pm
No, feed is fine.
Feed is coming in great . Union taking advantage of 1 on 1 vs Midfield late in the 2nd to stop RIT's 5 goal run.

I'm really not a fan of dodging and going to the goal with only 20 seconds on the clock (Although Sundown got off 2 looks).

Love the back and forth action. 2nd half should be great as well.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Yep, turns out RIT blocks the feed without showing a notification if you have an ad blocker on. Took me a second to realize.
SouthernLaxGenius

SLU took care of business against Ithaca. Every time the Bombers tried to make a run, the Larries had an answer (goal at the end of the 3rd quarter was a back breaker IMO).

RIT survives Union again. Clearing game hurt Union today.

Not sure why RIT waited so late in the game to help support against the Union mids dodging against them (also a ton of ball watching and Union moving off ball from the crease to GLE was effective).

That one on one pipe at the end of the 4th may be heard for a while. Game of inches and Union definitely continues to prove they belong.

May not be a 10 goal game in Rochester this Saturday, but SLU has it's work cut out for them.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Union with another great showing against the Tigers. Engineers had their chances late- anyone watching saw it- tied at 9 and a RIT turnover on the clear led to a 1 on 1 with goalie only to get bailed out by the pipe. A late save by the Union goalie and a 15 yd outlet pass to the defender that didn't connect and went out of bounds. If RIT is truly #1- Union is top 10 all day.

SLU opened it up on the Bombers in the 2nd qtr and never looked back. Faceoffs were lopsided in favor of the Saints (19 to 6) and that prevented Ithaca from ever getting any real momentum. They won't have the same luxury at the x vs. RIT. The unforced turnovers continue to be a concern for the Saints.

RIT should cruise but that's why you play the game
richard

Post by richard »

RITs run in the Liberty has been phenomenal, it never happened in the Super Six/E8. The top and middle teams are not pushovers either. Cograts to RIT and coach Coon but it's time for it to end. SLU has the talent to make this weekends game close but boy do they need to take care of the ball. Those passes that fly out of their sticks, I just do not understand. I know that they feel like they belong and would like to see them back in the tournament this year.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

richard wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:59 am RITs run in the Liberty has been phenomenal, it never happened in the Super Six/E8. The top and middle teams are not pushovers either. Cograts to RIT and coach Coon but it's time for it to end. SLU has the talent to make this weekends game close but boy do they need to take care of the ball. Those passes that fly out of their sticks, I just do not understand. I know that they feel like they belong and would like to see them back in the tournament this year.
Only chance of getting two LL teams in is if SLU can pull out a miracle.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”