NCAC 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Nosey Ned

Re: NCAC 2021

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:19 am Greetings Ned,
Good to see you posting and hope all is well with you and yours. Very impressive additions to the men's lax coaching staff. Both coaches look like they could assume head coaching positions. Would appreciate some inside color. The Salisbury team which included Coach Rohde is legendary.
Do we know what roles Coach Bartlett will assume?
Expecting big things from Big Red 2022 and hopefully see you in May.
Hi Mr Lax…. All good here thanks. Hope the same with you and yours.

Very interesting hire for sure. As I mention above I’m sorry that some very qualified and successful assistant coaches that helped the Big Red these past several years remain relevant in the National DIII landscape are not continuing with the program - though I do understand Coach Koch’s need/desire to “make it his own”.

As for Coach Bartlett’s specific roll … I think that remains open but instead of me interpreting what has been said about that very topic, everyone that is interested should have a listen to the IL podcast and hear the answer straight from both coaches. Very good interview IMHO. I will admit I would also have loved to hear from Coach Rohde as well as I see him being a very big piece to this new puzzle as well.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lett/58350
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

You will like Coach Rohde, getting Koch was like getting 2 for 1. Assistants are critical the fact that both know each other well will be a huge benefit to the program.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:29 pm You will like Coach Rohde, getting Koch was like getting 2 for 1. Assistants are critical the fact that both know each other well will be a huge benefit to the program.
Thanks Dehunt …. I was making that very point about familiarity being key to the transition with a fellow Denison supporter today.

I’m not sure if you made the point over on the W&L thread, but I too was surprised there wasn’t some sort of “anti poaching” clause in Koch’s contract. That’s pretty common in my profession- guess not so much in coaching?
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Be careful though - that can be a double edged sword. Bringing assistants familiar with the new HC, also means an entire staff with no previous connection to the school.

It can work and It can completely backfire, when good coaches just don’t fit the culture…and it’s REALLY hard to predict. Good people; good schools; good programs taken to new heights, but coaches who wear out their welcome just as fast.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:10 pm Be careful though - that can be a double edged sword. Bringing assistants familiar with the new HC, also means an entire staff with no previous connection to the school.

It can work and It can completely backfire, when good coaches just don’t fit the culture…and it’s REALLY hard to predict. Good people; good schools; good programs taken to new heights, but coaches who wear out their welcome just as fast.
Good point White … but I’ll have to take Coach Koch at his word when he addressed this on the podcast. He is aware that he is joining an established culture that is anything but broken and he will need to “check his ego” as he slowly blends his stamp on the program. I see it more as him taking the baton from Caravana and not starting a new race. In my opinion he will be well served to do just that. I think his vocalizing this in the interview is a great start. Following a legend can’t be easy and I for one hope he’s up to the task.

But to your point, you won’t hear me complain if at the end of the day we see one of the part time assistants retained to bridge the old with the new.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”