2021 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
ckstevenson

Re: 2021 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by ckstevenson »

VALaxer wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 am Sounds like, at least for Fairfax County schools, VA Public games will be broadcast on the NFHS Network this year as all HS stadiums have supposedly been fitted for video and the county has signed up for it. So if there is not Chik-fil-a at the game, you can order in and enjoy some HS lacrossse while eating CFA this year. :D
I remain hesitantly optimistic. I *think* it depends a bit on the schools, and what sort of NFHS package they have? I just know the school I follow does more of their own video via YouTube than on NFHS. They had a football game on NFHS tonight and the score never updated, which was frustrating. But hey, I could watch!

Are any of the VA public schools (specifically Fairfax) doing any sort of "play by play" for their streams? Even someone who could do basic down and distance plus score of football would help a ton. I haven't heard much of the PA announcers on the streams.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

ckstevenson wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:38 am Are any of the VA public schools (specifically Fairfax) doing any sort of "play by play" for their streams? Even someone who could do basic down and distance plus score of football would help a ton. I haven't heard much of the PA announcers on the streams.
Cant speak for football, but I know that when Robinson streamed GLAX the last few years, that they had student broadcasters.
Nowheels

Post by Nowheels »

totc wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:30 pm Correct me if I'm wrong: the Virginia Beach public schools are still club teams?

Does anyone know how the state tournament will be organized ?

Most sports have the four regional winners (A,B,C,D) advancing to the state semifinals. That won’t work in lacrosse given Region A doesn’t have varsity teams. So where does the fourth team come from? Some tie-breaker among the 3 regional runners up maybe?
Dr. Tact

Shamrock shootout

Post by Dr. Tact »

Looks like a lot of teams in this 7v7 tourney. Any thoughts? I dont recognize all the alias team names. But I did see that STAB is coming up for it.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Shamrock Shootout looks to be loaded this weekend with both publics and privates. STAB and Atlee coming up for it. A group of MD teams both privates and a few publics coming over for it. Dominion, Freedom, Riverside most of your 6A big public powers, and even some smaller publics. Plus the top privates may all get to settle things on the field since they may not get a chance this spring. It ain't full field, but could give some national rankings perspective for those teams. With a limited spring season, it will be interesting to see how these teams all compare against each other, both publics and privates.
FSUFan

Post by FSUFan »

How was the 7v7 Shamrock Shootout ? Did anyone go? They had perfect weather on Saturday.... who looked strong? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
StackO

Post by StackO »

Battlefield team we were in the afternoon session.
Played Atlee, Bishop Ireton 2, Geortown Visitation 2, Bishop O. & West Po in playoffs ended up 3-2.

3 playoff winners
#1 Atlee beat Holy Child
#2 Georgetown V beat West Springfield
#3 Battlefield beat West Potomac

Upper Division playoffs ended with 2 brave hearts Stoneridge won one of them
VALaxer

Shamrock Shootout

Post by VALaxer »

A few observations from the Shamrock Shootout yesterday.

First, it is a lot better playing these out of season tourneys in the Spring vs the winter. Perfect weather for lacrosse. Also, A+ for the snack bar.

Bigger this year than past iterations, with a lot more teams getting their preseason work. Kudos to the organizers for pulling off a nice pre-season tourney with a lot of the top lacrosse teams/players in the area.

Seemed to be 3 divisions for varsity - a varsity open (morning), and a varsity elite and a varsity super elite in the afternoon.

Teams in super elite were: SSSAS/Holton combined, BI varsity top half, Stone Ridge, STAB, Visitation Varsity top half, SJC, Bullis, Dominion, Riverside, Freedom SR, and Robinson.

Teams in Elite were: Holy Child, Battlefield, WestPo, Yorktown, W Springfield, Woodson, Atlee, 2nd half of Visi varsity, O’Connell, BI varsity 2nd half, Independence and Marshall.

Teams in open were: Lake Braddock, BI JV, O’Connell 2nd half, McLean, Justice, Oakton, South Lakes, WestPo Var/JV mix, Robinson mix, George Mason, Richard Montgomery and Leonardtown.

In the Super elite championship, Stone Ridge beat Visitation in a braveheart when the referee called a foul on Visi off the draw, while SSSAS beat Bullis in one consolation game and Riverside beat St Anne’s Belfield in another.

In the Elite championship, Visitation beat W Springfield. The Spartans and Holy Child both went undefeated (4-0) in their pool, but Sparty rode their defense and goaltending to easily advance on the goals allowed tie-breaker. Atlee defeated Holy Child in one consolation game and Battlefield defeated WestPo in the other.

Varsity open in the morning saw South Lakes beat Lake Braddock in the final as both went 4-0 in pool play. Justice also looked solid, going 4-0 in pool play but losing out on the goals against tie-breaker to Lake Braddock.

Notable public games in Super elite saw Dominion beat Freedom, and Riverside beat both Dominion and Freedom. Even though Robo didn’t win a game in Super Elite, they looked good against some tough competition.

In Elite, notable public games saw the Spartans beat WestPo, Yorktown, Independence and Marshall. WestPo beat Yorktown and Marshall and YTown beat Indy. Woodson beat O’Connell and hung tough with Atlee.

Some teams were missing players with conflicts and some had borrowed players. So not sure how much to read into things. Also, they haven’t been coached for the season yet, but it was good to see so many teams out there and playing in the Spring weather after the past year. :D
StackO

Post by StackO »

Nice recap!
Wg_olyr

Post by Wg_olyr »

As Freedom starts their path to a three-peat, it looks like they have the former Herndon coach leading their way. Tough games against an injured Dominion and Riverside though.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HS Girls: Virginia’s Bishop Ireton

https://fanlax.com/2021/04/08/hs-girls- ... op-ireton/
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
VALaxer

2021 Virginia Public GLAX Pre-Season Poll and preview

Post by VALaxer »

With the season starting next week, I thought it would be a good time to unveil my take on a pre-season top 10 for VA Publics in Class 6. Based on what I’ve seen and heard about in off-season play from last Summer until early this Spring, I would have Riverside, Dominion and Freedom all in the upper half of the top ten if we did all classes, but with the modified schedules this year, the only challenge I expect any of them to see in the regular season is the Riverside vs Freedom game on May 14th, with the winner having an argument for the #1 overall team in the state. Other than that, they should combine for a regular season record of 26-1. So the real questions are likely to be in Class 6 and see if one of the big schools can emerge as the top dog as they all play each other.

So, it is with that in mind, and to create some debate and action in this forum, I am unveiling VALaxer's VA Publics Class 6 Pre-Season Top Ten:

1) Langley - The last team to win the championship, Coach Morris still has talent that knows how to get it done, so they get the top spot. Unfortunately for Bucky, Caroline Bean is playing on the lacrosse fields of Ann Arbor and not McLean these days. Can they "repeat" the hard way?
Opener: 4/28 @Marshall
Other Key Games: 5/3@Oakton, 5/11 @W+L, 5/13 Herndon, 5/17 James Madison, 5/24 Woodson

2) Madison - Gets the edge from being runner-up in 2019 and they have some ladies that are still hungry. Looked solid during indoor this winter, but faced their own share of losses from graduation in the last couple of years. Coach Counts will have them ready.
Opener: 4/28 South County
Other Key Games: 5/7@Oakton, 5/17@Langley, 5/26 Robinson

3) tie - Robinson - Has picked up some young talent in the last few years, the question is if they will be ready. If so, Coach Prosser has a shot to get Robinson back on top.
Opener: 4/26 Chantilly
Other Key Games: 4/28 @ Oakton, 5/14@SoCo, 5/20@Woodson, 5/26@Madison, 5/28@West Springfield

3) tie. - West Springfield - Started 4 freshmen in a state quarterfinal that was Langley's closest game in the state tournament in 2019. Those frosh are now upperclassmen and ready to lead based on how WS has looked in off-season play. Coach Puhlick picked up a Capital goalie to replace his platoon from 2019. If the Spartans can get out of a tough district, this could be their year.
Opener: 4/28 @South Lakes
Other Key Games: 5/6@SoCo, 5/14 Woodson, 5/26 West Potomac, 5/28@Robinson

5) Woodson - Margaret Stephan is at Elon, but the Cavs still have Coach Lewis and a Gross sister in goal, and that makes them dangerous.
Opener: 4/26 Oakton
Other Key Games: 5/14 @West Springfield, 5/20 Robinson, 5/24@Langley, 6/3 SoCo

6) West Potomac - the Wolverines have high numbers to draw on for depth, and have picked up a number of young players over the last couple years. If they put it all together, WestPo can get back to states.
Opener: 4/26 SoCo
Other Key Games: 5/26@West Springfield

7) Herndon - A wildcard with a new coach this year (albeit one with success in the area as a player), but this was a team that only lost 1 regular season game in 2019 and has picked up some talent along the way since then to replace losses.
Opener: 4/28 Falls Church
Other Key Games: 5/13@Langley, 5/28@W+L

8) Oakton - Saw this team play real well at times in the off-season, and not so well at others. Face a murderers row of a schedule the first two weeks, but don't sleep on them even if they start in the hole record-wise. This is a team that can get there in the end. If they win a majority of those early season matchups, watch out.
Opener: 4/26@Woodson
Other Key Games: 4/28 Robinson, 5/3 Langley, 5/7 Madison

9) Washington and Liberty - seems to have been quiet on the off-season circuit, but they were a young, up-and-coming team 2 years ago. If they can carry that over, they are a team to watch.
Opener: 4/26 Edison
Other Key Games: 5/11 Langley, 5/28 Herndon

10) South County - Another team finding their way with a new coach. A tough opening schedule for a newbie, but if they find their footing, expect them to compete.
Opener: 4/26@WestPo
Other Key Games: 4/28@Madison, 5/6 West Springfield, 5/14 Robinson, 6/3@Woodson

A few others of note who may surprise. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see some of these teams with some surprising wins this year:

Colonial Forge - we tend to forget about teams from outside of Nova, but they have numbers and experience and a path to the state tournament.
Battlefield – In the same boat as Colonial Forge, their opener against CF next week will make one of them a favorite for Region B and a path to states.
Justice - an undefeated appearance at Shamrock Shootout continues the narrative of an improving team from 2 years ago, don’t be surprised if they are competitive in the district.
South Lakes - Another team that showed well at the Shootout, don't sleep on them.
Yorktown - Mixed results in the off-season and I've heard they are young this year. Still could put it together and get some wins in a tough district.

How will they all end up at season's end? That's why they play the games. :ugeek:

Here's hoping to a good and healthy season for everyone where the play on the field, and not COVID, determines the outcome....
Dr. Tact

Re: 2021 Virginia Public GLAX Pre-Season Poll and preview

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:14 pm With the season starting next week, I thought it would be a good time to unveil my take on a pre-season top 10 for VA Publics in Class 6.
I would reverse the top 4 you have 1-3 (Ties). West Spring will be tough this year.
StackO

Post by StackO »

Top of the Bay play day this Sunday at SC. Battlefield vs South County good test to see if Battlefield is for real. Only 3 seniors 23 players 20 play travel. Young guns for next few years?
VALaxer

Re: 2021 Virginia Public GLAX Pre-Season Poll and preview

Post by VALaxer »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:36 am
VALaxer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:14 pm With the season starting next week, I thought it would be a good time to unveil my take on a pre-season top 10 for VA Publics in Class 6.
I would reverse the top 4 you have 1-3 (Ties). West Spring will be tough this year.
I was tempted to put WS higher, they looked good at Shamrock Shootout against other VA publics and in full field at STJ this March, handling a Whitman HS team that is regularly a top 4 Maryland public, and only losing by 3 to a very good St Johns College HS Team (for comparison sake, SJC beat an Oakton squad(?) by 16 (not sure what happened in that game though)). I want to see how they do when the games get for real, but they have a strong shot to be there in the end.
StackO wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:44 am Top of the Bay play day this Sunday at SC. Battlefield vs South County good test to see if Battlefield is for real. Only 3 seniors 23 players 20 play travel. Young guns for next few years?
As noted, Battlefield is an up-and-coming team to watch. Wouldn't be shocked if they won that game Sunday. They have a good young team and a Region that they can win. Not sure it will get them as tested as others, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them in States within the next couple of years.
Dr. Tact

Madison FH

Post by Dr. Tact »

I know this is a lax forum, but just thought that Madison's Field Hockey team deserves kudos. Undefeated and not scored on all season. Good on 'ya VA State Champs!
JunkD

Post by JunkD »

W-L has a young team that unexpectedly caught fire with nine straight wins and seven shutouts to win the Liberty District. They met Madison in the regional finals. The Generals had not faced a team with anything like that combination of athleticism and stick skills, and were on their heels pretty much the entire game. A really impressive squad -- kudos to the players and their coaches. A well deserved championship.
StackO

Post by StackO »

VALaxer poll holds South County defeats Battlefield today with no time on clock. 10-9 FPS wins it. Great work today for both teams at Top of the Bay event.
VALaxer

For Openers

Post by VALaxer »

Opening day is finally here. First real games in 22 months. :D A good slate for the first day featuring...

Wakefield @ Yorktown
Lake Braddock @ Centreville
Falls Church @ TCW/Alexandria City High
S. Lakes @ Hayfield
Justice @ Annandale
Chantilly @ Robinson
Edison @ W+L

and two matchups of "ranked" teams:

Oakton @ Woodson
S. County @ West Potomac

Any others of note I missed? Anyone care to pick 'em :?:

Good luck to everyone today.