2021 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Big Calls at Robo...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Great game at Robo this afternoon as West Sprinfield came calling pitting two masters of NOVA Lax head to head! I thought it was going to go against Sparty when it was 5-2 early but they got a late, late, late goal that didn't go up on the scoreboard until three minutes into halftime to make it 7-7. It was a huge midfield battle with Robo's 21 (4 Gs), 23 (3 Gs) & 4 (1 G) versus Sparty's 23 (8 Gs), 7 (2 Gs) & 19 (1 G.) It was back & forth 10-10 with 13 left in the second half when the action really ramped up. The stars, Kluegel & Sturtevant traded tallies to keep it at 11-11 with 11 left. It was 7:30 at 12-12 when Sparty stopped Robo & #7 went to clear. She was near the Visitors stand sideline when the WS Fans let down the side. About to beat an attacker no one in the crowd yelled OYA to her that another Ram was coming & #10 checked the ball away out of bounds...game over! No not really but obviously upset WS #7 took a rash YC in a tie game. Then a FPS Robo Man-Up Goal followed by another M-U G by #10 getting her 4th & it was 14-12. To compound matters #7 runs on the field as her card expires, takes a pinpoint feed from #23 & hits the pipe. The hard whistle & a YC on Robo as the defender is running off...wait not so fast Sparty fans...it is a 2nd YC on a dangerous propelling on #7, done for the day. The "A" official went down to make sure of the call from the young guy & you thought a reversal was coming but the call stood & so another 2 minute man-down for Coach Puhlick. Game over, except Robo turns it over & for no apparent reason the Rams #7 decides she wants to join the WS #7 in the box with her own YC. You could hear Coach Prosser's groan in Annandale because at 6v6 you know what is coming & there it is the 8th Goal by Sturtevant! 14-13! It seemed Robo wanted extra time as they turned it over & #23 rolls the crease scoring an amazing goal to tie it...wait the call is in the crease...no goal...cue Coach Puhlick's groan! Still Robo isn't done with their generosity turning it over once more inside 3 minutes but a Sparty attacker has a Tragic drop-the-ball-out-of-bounds-@-X Turnover before it can get to #23. Robo takes a TO & then runs out the clock. 14-13 an instant classic game on Memorial Day. OK maybe not as good as the guys Div I game but immensely entertaining.
Dr. Tact

Re: 2021 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by Dr. Tact »

I was walking out of Coffey stadium thinking that all Lacrosse games should be played in that weather and at that time of day....of course, having the concessions open would have been over the top....
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:12 pm Great game at Robo this afternoon as West Sprinfield came calling pitting two masters of NOVA Lax head to head! I thought it was going to go against Sparty when it was 5-2 early but they got a late, late, late goal that didn't go up on the scoreboard until three minutes into halftime to make it 7-7. It was a huge midfield battle with Robo's 21 (4 Gs), 23 (3 Gs) & 4 (1 G) versus Sparty's 23 (8 Gs), 7 (2 Gs) & 19 (1 G.) It was back & forth 10-10 with 13 left in the second half when the action really ramped up. The stars, Kluegel & Sturtevant traded tallies to keep it at 11-11 with 11 left. It was 7:30 at 12-12 when Sparty stopped Robo & #7 went to clear. She was near the Visitors stand sideline when the WS Fans let down the side. About to beat an attacker no one in the crowd yelled OYA to her that another Ram was coming & #10 checked the ball away out of bounds...game over! No not really but obviously upset WS #7 took a rash YC in a tie game. Then a FPS Robo Man-Up Goal followed by another M-U G by #10 getting her 4th & it was 14-12. To compound matters #7 runs on the field as her card expires, takes a pinpoint feed from #23 & hits the pipe. The hard whistle & a YC on Robo as the defender is running off...wait not so fast Sparty fans...it is a 2nd YC on a dangerous propelling on #7, done for the day. The "A" official went down to make sure of the call from the young guy & you thought a reversal was coming but the call stood & so another 2 minute man-down for Coach Puhlick. Game over, except Robo turns it over & for no apparent reason the Rams #7 decides she wants to join the WS #7 in the box with her own YC. You could hear Coach Prosser's groan in Annandale because at 6v6 you know what is coming & there it is the 8th Goal by Sturtevant! 14-13! It seemed Robo wanted extra time as they turned it over & #23 rolls the crease scoring an amazing goal to tie it...wait the call is in the crease...no goal...cue Coach Puhlick's groan! Still Robo isn't done with their generosity turning it over once more inside 3 minutes but a Sparty attacker has a Tragic drop-the-ball-out-of-bounds-@-X Turnover before it can get to #23. Robo takes a TO & then runs out the clock. 14-13 an instant classic game on Memorial Day. OK maybe not as good as the guys Div I game but immensely entertaining.
Sounds like we have a candidate for game of the year. Or at least matinee of the year...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:18 pm
UnderArmourOdor wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:12 pm Great game at Robo this afternoon as West Sprinfield came calling pitting two masters of NOVA Lax head to head! I thought it was going to go against Sparty when it was 5-2 early but they got a late, late, late goal that didn't go up on the scoreboard until three minutes into halftime to make it 7-7. It was a huge midfield battle with Robo's 21 (4 Gs), 23 (3 Gs) & 4 (1 G) versus Sparty's 23 (8 Gs), 7 (2 Gs) & 19 (1 G.) It was back & forth 10-10 with 13 left in the second half when the action really ramped up. The stars, Kluegel & Sturtevant traded tallies to keep it at 11-11 with 11 left. It was 7:30 at 12-12 when Sparty stopped Robo & #7 went to clear. She was near the Visitors stand sideline when the WS Fans let down the side. About to beat an attacker no one in the crowd yelled OYA to her that another Ram was coming & #10 checked the ball away out of bounds...game over! No not really but obviously upset WS #7 took a rash YC in a tie game. Then a FPS Robo Man-Up Goal followed by another M-U G by #10 getting her 4th & it was 14-12. To compound matters #7 runs on the field as her card expires, takes a pinpoint feed from #23 & hits the pipe. The hard whistle & a YC on Robo as the defender is running off...wait not so fast Sparty fans...it is a 2nd YC on a dangerous propelling on #7, done for the day. The "A" official went down to make sure of the call from the young guy & you thought a reversal was coming but the call stood & so another 2 minute man-down for Coach Puhlick. Game over, except Robo turns it over & for no apparent reason the Rams #7 decides she wants to join the WS #7 in the box with her own YC. You could hear Coach Prosser's groan in Annandale because at 6v6 you know what is coming & there it is the 8th Goal by Sturtevant! 14-13! It seemed Robo wanted extra time as they turned it over & #23 rolls the crease scoring an amazing goal to tie it...wait the call is in the crease...no goal...cue Coach Puhlick's groan! Still Robo isn't done with their generosity turning it over once more inside 3 minutes but a Sparty attacker has a Tragic drop-the-ball-out-of-bounds-@-X Turnover before it can get to #23. Robo takes a TO & then runs out the clock. 14-13 an instant classic game on Memorial Day. OK maybe not as good as the guys Div I game but immensely entertaining.
Sounds like we have a candidate for game of the year. Or at least matinee of the year...
It was an exciting game....many lead changes and ties. First YC was the first turning point. Robo scored 2 in the first 40 seconds, but then turned it over. That "extra" YC goal could have been the margin of victory.
Dr. Tact

Re: TOPTM - The Only Poll That Matters

Post by Dr. Tact »

VA-GLaxFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:53 pm Go to laxnumbers.com. I have all of the scores in there and up dated.
Can you explain the methodology of the rankings? Is it based on best win, best opponents win, best loss, SOS, etc. I was curious why Woodson is #3, but an undefeated team (Robinson) that beat them is #7. I get that Woodson's wins may have been better on the point spread and there loss to Langley is good(?), but one would think that head-to-head would be a bigger metric.

Full disclosure, I am a Robo parent, but I was just curious, not overly crazy about rankings....I think I have a basic knowledge of RPI and SOS, but was curious how your site calcs the rankings.
Last edited by Dr. Tact on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:13 pm
VA-GLaxFan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:53 pm Go to laxnumbers.com. I have all of the scores in there and up dated.
Can you explain the methodology of the rankings? Is it based on best win, best opponents win, best loss, SOS, etc. I was curious why Woodson is #3, but an undefeated team (Robinson) that beat them is #7. I get that Woodson's wins may have been better on the point spread, but one would think that head-to-head would be a bigger metric.

Full disclosure, I am a Robo parent, but I was just curious, not overly crazy about rankings....I think I have a basic knowledge of RPI and SOS, but was curious how your site calcs the rankings.
Oh, I forgot, I looked for a feedback comment function on the site, but Liz Case is not the Robinson head coach...Tim Prosser is the coach.
FSUFan

Re: Sending out an SOS

Post by FSUFan »

Robinson Victories against:
Chantilly (1-7) weak win vs McLean.
Edison (2-5) weak wins vs TJ, Wakefield
Fairfax (3-5) weak wins vs. TJ, Hay, and Mt. Vernon)
Barely defeating South County, who has a losing record, doesn't help. And surprisingly, Sparty blew South County out.
Four of the Rams 7 wins came against teams with a losing record....
This makes for a very weak schedule for Robinson. And, barely escaping defeat against Sparty, impacts these rankings, too. Losing to Madison on Wednesday will hurt, also. (Down 4-1 when play was halted).
Add all of these factors up, and it makes a little more sense. It is not a perfect formula, but it is what it is. Certainly stirs up some friendly debates.
Dr. Tact

Re: Sending out an SOS

Post by Dr. Tact »

FSUFan wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:08 pm Robinson Victories against:
Chantilly (1-7) weak win vs McLean.
Edison (2-5) weak wins vs TJ, Wakefield
Fairfax (3-5) weak wins vs. TJ, Hay, and Mt. Vernon)
Barely defeating South County, who has a losing record, doesn't help. And surprisingly, Sparty blew South County out.
Four of the Rams 7 wins came against teams with a losing record....
This makes for a very weak schedule for Robinson. And, barely escaping defeat against Sparty, impacts these rankings, too. Losing to Madison on Wednesday will hurt, also. (Down 4-1 when play was halted).
Add all of these factors up, and it makes a little more sense. It is not a perfect formula, but it is what it is. Certainly stirs up some friendly debates.
So, what you are saying is SOS, competition's opponents records, and goal differential are major factors. This seems to be an RPI methodology. That was basically all I was asking....The one you didnt mention is the reason I asked....beating Woodson head to head doesnt count? So for Woodson, wouldn't your theory above of a weak team barely beating other week teams who have bad wins hurt them? It seems that the computers (any sport) favor layers of information over the simple head-to-head. Evaluating a team that beat a team that only beat TJ seems like you can get deep into the weeds, when the eye test isn't accounted for. If Langley only beat TF, Hayfield, McLean, Wakefield, Mt. Vernon, Fairfax, Edison, Chantilly, I bet they wouldnt be ranked #1. If they rested their starters and kept the goals down, they would be penalized for that. None of the above indicates to me that Langley isn't the best team in the State.

there has been alot of discussion on the Womens forum about the accuracy of computer rankings - the Lummy's ranking (when in season), that is linked by fanlax, is often loving teams that cant pass the eye test....

I dont really care about the numbers, just stirring up a friendly debate. As I have mentioned before, there is Langley and everyone else, so the poll could be #1 and tie for 2nd with about 6 teams. That is eye test only :D :twisted:

Oh and you are right, losing to Madison will hurt, but based on the RPI, it might actually help in the poll, in some weird way....
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

All this talk about Computers, SOS, RPI. We all know that there is only one poll that matters -TOPTM ;) . Maybe UAO will get a new one together when he is done with his tour of lacrosse matinees in Fairfax County.

Speaking of which, did I see correctly that Madison beat Centreville 21-15 on Monday, or was that an old Football score? If that's really the case, give me Robo and the over tonight.
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:13 pm
Can you explain the methodology of the rankings? Is it based on best win, best opponents win, best loss, SOS, etc. I was curious why Woodson is #3, but an undefeated team (Robinson) that beat them is #7. I get that Woodson's wins may have been better on the point spread and there loss to Langley is good(?), but one would think that head-to-head would be a bigger metric.

Just so you know, it’s not my website, I just help them keep up with the correct scores

Here is the information on how it pans it according to the website

Rating Math Key:
GD = Goal Differential to a maximum of 10 per game.
AGD = Average Goal Differential which should equal this team's AGD on the rankings page.
OPP = Opponent's Rating.
SD = Sportsmanship Differential. SD will not impact most games. Only occurs in non-counting game scenarios when two teams are more than 10 goals apart (1 point is equivalent to 1 goal) AND the higher rated team wins by 10 or more goals. Non-counting games will be easy to identify because there will be number greater than 0 in the SD column and the +/- column will zero out. The SD, if applicable, is equal to the team's overall rating minus opponent's rating (OPP) + 10 (GD). Laxnumbers wants to encourage and promote good sportsmanship as well as player development by not forcing higher ranked teams to win by X amount to make up the math in the rankings.
SCHED = The sum of all OPP's plus the sum of all SD's averaged per game. Should equal this team's SCHED on the rankings page.
Points = GD + OPP + SD. The average "Points" is the team's rating.
+/- = Indicate whether the team performed better or worse than expected based upon Laxnumbers' ratings. Positive (+) numbers mean the team did better than expected and "helped" its rating. Negative (-) numbers mean the team performed worse than expected and "hurt" its rating. The average "+/-" should equal 0.00, but it is possible that rounding errors of 0.01 will occur occasionally. Larger error numbers indicate that a game scores has been changed or deleted since the last ratings calculation.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VA-GLaxFan wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:21 pm Just so you know, it’s not my website, I just help them keep up with the correct scores

Here is the information on how it pans it according to the website

Rating Math Key:
GD = Goal Differential to a maximum of 10 per game.
AGD = Average Goal Differential which should equal this team's AGD on the rankings page.
OPP = Opponent's Rating.
SD = Sportsmanship Differential. SD will not impact most games. Only occurs in non-counting game scenarios when two teams are more than 10 goals apart (1 point is equivalent to 1 goal) AND the higher rated team wins by 10 or more goals. Non-counting games will be easy to identify because there will be number greater than 0 in the SD column and the +/- column will zero out. The SD, if applicable, is equal to the team's overall rating minus opponent's rating (OPP) + 10 (GD). Laxnumbers wants to encourage and promote good sportsmanship as well as player development by not forcing higher ranked teams to win by X amount to make up the math in the rankings.
SCHED = The sum of all OPP's plus the sum of all SD's averaged per game. Should equal this team's SCHED on the rankings page.
Points = GD + OPP + SD. The average "Points" is the team's rating.
+/- = Indicate whether the team performed better or worse than expected based upon Laxnumbers' ratings. Positive (+) numbers mean the team did better than expected and "helped" its rating. Negative (-) numbers mean the team performed worse than expected and "hurt" its rating. The average "+/-" should equal 0.00, but it is possible that rounding errors of 0.01 will occur occasionally. Larger error numbers indicate that a game scores has been changed or deleted since the last ratings calculation.
Thanks for the info.

Looks like OPP is a never ending (potentially) rabbit hole. You get rated on your OPP, but they are rated on their OPP, etc. Seems like a heavy weight for a metric that depends on schedule lottery. Again, the Langley (fictitious) example....if they play and win nicely over all low OPP, they will get dinged, but when you watch them play, it is clear they are the best team in the state.

Goal differential is also subjective and as an equal part in the Points formula is debatable. If I have 26 players on Robo and they are beating up on LSOTP, coach brings in the freshmen/3rd string to play for some experience. That reduces the GD to a much lower number while not tripping the SD. That really doesnt measure the team at all, just an outlier to the real results if starters played 50 minutes.

It seems the best way to get a high ranking is to beat up on everyone, except try not to effect the SD. Make sure your schedule and the OPP schedules are middling or better. Beat the LSOTPs by 9 and then stall....

All of this is tongue in cheek, but shows me (IMO) that the only computer ranking is the one team on top. If that team meets the eye test, then its good.

OTOH, TOPTM is subjective and includes some eye tests (except UAO, who sees all). That poll is more important to me.....Boy did I use alot of Capital acronyms there.....
njbill

Post by njbill »

Doc, pardon me for butting in, but as you may know, Lax Numbers uses the same system laxpower used. Don’t think they made any tweaks, but possibly. The one big difference this year is that I don’t think they did any interregional adjustments because there were so few interregional games. Also, their results database is woefully incomplete in a lot of areas. No Maryland publics, no Long Island.

In VA it looks like they have only activated your class 6A, I suspect, due to incomplete results in the other classes.

I don’t think lax numbers made many, if any, interregional adjustments in 2019, or at least not to the extent they did them on laxpower. I had an email exchange a couple of years ago with the guy who used to run the girls laxpower ratings and he wasn’t particularly complimentary about the way they were doing girls at lax numbers.

Do you use lax numbers in Virginia to seed playoffs? We do in New Jersey. We used to use laxpower for many years. When it went under, we used power points for a year, which didn’t work out all that well. This year they are using lax numbers, although the state committee reserved the right to make some tweaks which they did. Very few as far as I can tell.

I think the laxnumbers rankings in Jersey are pretty accurate. Hopefully yours are in Virginia as well.

If you want to get a sense of where the computer thinks your team ranks nationally, you have to look at the various regions since they have not activated the national rankings. No surprise, the top team in the IAAM has the top ranking in the nation.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:20 pm Doc, pardon me for butting in, but as you may know, Lax Numbers uses the same system laxpower used. Don’t think they made any tweaks, but possibly. The one big difference this year is that I don’t think they did any interregional adjustments because there were so few interregional games. Also, their results database is woefully incomplete in a lot of areas. No Maryland publics, no Long Island.

In VA it looks like they have only activated your class 6A, I suspect, due to incomplete results in the other classes.

I don’t think lax numbers made many, if any, interregional adjustments in 2019, or at least not to the extent they did them on laxpower. I had an email exchange a couple of years ago with the guy who used to run the girls laxpower ratings and he wasn’t particularly complimentary about the way they were doing girls at lax numbers.

Do you use lax numbers in Virginia to seed playoffs? We do in New Jersey. We used to use laxpower for many years. When it went under, we used power points for a year, which didn’t work out all that well. This year they are using lax numbers, although the state committee reserved the right to make some tweaks which they did. Very few as far as I can tell.

I think the laxnumbers rankings in Jersey are pretty accurate. Hopefully yours are in Virginia as well.

If you want to get a sense of where the computer thinks your team ranks nationally, you have to look at the various regions since they have not activated the national rankings. No surprise, the top team in the IAAM has the top ranking in the nation.
Bill...welcome to the little ol forum for us virginny publix. Yeah I was aware that the laxpower numbers were used for seeding in Jersey. We dont. There is a playoff system with seeding by record. That usually works out OK.

I wasn't trying to stoke a dead fire, just curious about the evaluation metrics that were used. My biggest two issues is that there is no qualititative "eye test", nor do I expect one from a computer; and, the lack of benefit/deficit for head-to-head results.

I remember the old national rankings well. Robinson Secondary and Langley were always on the fringe of top 20 nationally, with Robinson peaking in 2018. I really liked the rankings of specifc criteria ; i.e. defense, offense, goal differential that were sort of side elements to the compilation of numbers. Never really questioned the methodology of Laxpower's numbers....

As far as the accuracy in Virginia, there are some questionable placements in the top 10. That said, I think that Virginia has one top team, about 5 or 6 next level and then a bunch of everyone else. The 5/6 next level teams are all competitive and could win on any day.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I have to confess, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Virginia public school game even though I lived in Northern Virginia for eight years more than several decades ago (well before I ever heard of lacrosse). I’ve seen lots of games over the years at SSSA (including a few Spring Flings) and Bishop Ireton, and several VISAA title games. But nary a Va. public game.

For many years, I would do my own end of season rankings and year end report of sorts which I would post on the Girls Forum on Laxpower. I would start with the Laxpower rankings and tinker, as appropriate. Occasionally, I would get into “discussions” about my rankings with the guy who was in charge of the girls Laxpower rankings. In one of my last emails with him at the end of the 2018 season, the year in which NDP upset McDonogh, he argued the computer still had McDonogh number one, and they should be number one. I said, no way, a team can’t be number one if they can’t win their own league. But I never got around to doing my 2018 rankings before Laxpower went kaput.

One time in an unguarded moment, he fessed up that they did manually assign a number to the top team from the previous year to start the next year’s rankings. If you think about it, they have to have a starting point. Otherwise, they are starting off in a vacuum.

Do class 6 teams play teams in the other classes in the state? Just took a quick look, but it seems that the reporting of scores in the other classes is incomplete. Wonder if that has screwed up the class 6 ratings?

Very jealous of all the posts on the Virginia thread. New Jersey has entirely dried up.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:40 am
Speaking of which, did I see correctly that Madison beat Centreville 21-15 on Monday, or was that an old Football score? If that's really the case, give me Robo and the over tonight.
And... Did you get paid?
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

njbill wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:30 pm I have to confess, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Virginia public school game even though I lived in Northern Virginia for eight years more than several decades ago (well before I ever heard of lacrosse). I’ve seen lots of games over the years at SSSA (including a few Spring Flings) and Bishop Ireton, and several VISAA title games. But nary a Va. public game.

For many years, I would do my own end of season rankings and year end report of sorts which I would post on the Girls Forum on Laxpower. I would start with the Laxpower rankings and tinker, as appropriate. Occasionally, I would get into “discussions” about my rankings with the guy who was in charge of the girls Laxpower rankings. In one of my last emails with him at the end of the 2018 season, the year in which NDP upset McDonogh, he argued the computer still had McDonogh number one, and they should be number one. I said, no way, a team can’t be number one if they can’t win their own league. But I never got around to doing my 2018 rankings before Laxpower went kaput.

One time in an unguarded moment, he fessed up that they did manually assign a number to the top team from the previous year to start the next year’s rankings. If you think about it, they have to have a starting point. Otherwise, they are starting off in a vacuum.

Do class 6 teams play teams in the other classes in the state? Just took a quick look, but it seems that the reporting of scores in the other classes is incomplete. Wonder if that has screwed up the class 6 ratings?

Very jealous of all the posts on the Virginia thread. New Jersey has entirely dried up.
I told them next year that i would score all of the girls lacrosse scores for all classes. I just needed to see how I would do it this year to see if it worked
njbill

Post by njbill »

Big job for one person. Good for you.

Since Jersey uses laxnumbers to seed for the playoffs, coaches are required to report scores to laxnumbers as they were with Laxpower. Makes data collection a lot easier.
Dr. Tact

Robo comes back to win but....

Post by Dr. Tact »

falls in the poll to #8.

Again, no accounting for head to head causes Robinson to drop to #8 in the VA 6A poll....behind two teams that it beat.

OK enough bashing the poll....

Robo came back yesterday after spotting Madison the 4-1 lead they had earned before the derecho. Tied at 6-6 at half. Robo pushed to as much as a 2 goal lead, killing off 3 YCs and losing a top producer to two yellows. 2 goal lead with a minute, robo turns the ball over with about 35 seconds. Madison scores with 15 seconds left and wins the subsequent draw. False start on Madison gave the ball to RObo. False start on Robo gave the ball to Madison at the offensive restraining line, 7 seconds or so left. Madison waited for the whistle this time, but couldnt get off a shot before time ran out.
valaxnewb

Battle in N. Arlington

Post by valaxnewb »

Long time no post... I took my alumna child to watch the WL vs YT game last night, and it didn't disappoint.  This was a Liberty District semi-final, and by the time I finished shelling out the $14 district admission fee, it was already 3-0 WL, with 20 minutes on the clock and an enthusiastic announcer calling out every GB, DC, dodge, check, and substitution for the home team.  4-0 WL before I could find a seat sufficiently distanced from the raucous Patriots crowd.  #21 was dominant for WL early, controlling the draws and maintaining possession in their end.  YT scored on a FP, and then WL got the next 4 to go up 8-1 with about 10 min left in the first half.  Out of the corner of my eye, I think I saw a buxom singer in a viking helmet (maybe a Saxon?) warming up her vocal cords over on the WL softball field.   

...But wait, YT #1 settles into the draw and is able to get the ball to her teammates on the circle.  A few possessions later, YT narrows the lead to 8-4, with a chance to pull within 3 in the last 30 sec.  Good save by WL GK and the score stays 8-4 at the half. The offensive mojo seemed to be on the South end of the field last night.  After switching goals and substituting their GK in the 2nd half, YT gets the next 5 to take the lead 9-8, marking an 8 goal run. Under 10 minutes, YT takes a YC for a check to the head.  ("The stick only hit her goggles! This is lacrosse!", no one yells from the Patriot's crowd.)  WL ties the game 9-9 with a nice feed that must have involved #21 somehow.  WL gets the next draw control and a chance to take the lead, but in a great 1v1 defensive move on an iso play for WL #21, a YT senior defender forces the ball to the ground, scoops it up, and clears.  YT kills the rest of the penalty and controls possession in their attack zone, taking several shots and backing up with good position below GLE.  Finally, #1 who started the Pats momentum in the DC circle, is awarded a FP on the 1st hash and scores to give YT the lead 10-9 with about 4 minutes left.  WL gets the next draw, but WL attacker (not #21) rushes the shot and lets one fly before her teammates are set up below GLE.  Ball goes to the YT goal keeper, and the Patriots take their sweet time on the clear, running off another minute before the ball is settled in their attack end.  With ~2:30 left the Pats fans were all shouting for a time out, forgetting that Coach Tran called one early after going down 0-4 and had none left.  (Chris Webber was no where to be seen.) YT tries the stall, but WL #21 makes a great check on a trailing stick, scoops up the GB and goes coast-to-coast to tie the game 10-10.  Each team had a shot to win it under 2, but no luck and multiple false start turnovers. (BTW - the under 2 min whistle start rule needs to change next year, too many gotcha calls.)

Teams switch sides for OT, and WL returns to attacking in the South end of the field.  YT gets the draw and sets up with #14 taking the ball at X. She fakes left, rolls right and hits a cutting teammate for the game winner, 11-10.  Great game, I think these two teams were pretty evenly matched, but you have to give the nod to YT for crawling back from a 8-1 deficit and taking it in sudden death.
Dr. Tact

Re: Battle in N. Arlington

Post by Dr. Tact »

valaxnewb wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:00 pm Teams switch sides for OT, and WL returns to attacking in the South end of the field.  YT gets the draw and sets up with #14 taking the ball at X. She fakes left, rolls right and hits a cutting teammate for the game winner, 11-10.  Great game, I think these two teams were pretty evenly matched, but you have to give the nod to YT for crawling back from a 8-1 deficit and taking it in sudden death.
Wow. that must have been exciting or disappointing depending on who you were rooting for. Good to see that YHS got the Arlington County lax world back to normal.... :lol:

Full disclosure - YHS Class of '81.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”