The Abortion Thread

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: The Abortion Thread

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:21 am
Kismet wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:01 am David Frum

"Roe Is the New Prohibition
The pro-life movement needs to know that such culture wars result not in outright victory for one side but in reaction and compromise."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ce=twitter

We all know how Prohibition turned out.
H.L. MencKen

The Prohibitionists, when they foisted their brummagem cure-all upon the country under cover of the war hysteria, gave out that their advocacy of it was based upon a Christian yearning to abate drunkenness, and so abolish crime, poverty and disease … Not only are crime, poverty and disease undiminished, but drunkenness itself, if the police statistics are to be believed, has greatly increased … The more obvious the failure becomes, the more shamelessly they exhibit their genuine motives. In plain words, what moves them is the psychological aberration called sadism.
... the right is all about control. This has nothing to do with morality for most of the right wingers. It is laughable to think the Proud Boys, the 3%ers, other militia groups, the right wing media, republiCON politicians, right wing businessmen and even Southern Baptists men give a flying fu*k about morality.
A little thought for our national “birthday”.

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

H. L. Mencken
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Mencken was a pretty sharp tack :!:

My favorite -

“Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong.”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:21 am
... the right is all about control. This has nothing to do with morality for most of the right wingers. It is laughable to think the Proud Boys, the 3%ers, other militia groups, the right wing media, republiCON politicians, right wing businessmen and even Southern Baptists men give a flying fu*k about morality.

Yesterday I watched a brief live report from Philadelphia on YouTube which dealt with some right wing rally. Evidently, they spewed their usual crapola about morality, "freedom" from government, law-and-order, and all the other BS they usually spew. Few people attended and it broke up rather quickly.

Some old timer was interviewed afterwards and he moaned about how the churches are exerting so little influence in society today. That in the good old days the church exerted far more influence for the better and that society was so much more stable as a result. Had I been there I would have asked him about the Southern Baptists and their role in promoting slavery and lynchings. Yeah, they sure did a "marvelous" job of promoting social stability back in the day fer darn sure. I wonder how he would have responded.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:49 am Med students, residents planning to leave Ohio. Totally predictable.

Yeah, not because of abortion but because of the cold.

Meanwhile abortion is such an existential threat, Pelosi is off gallivanting in Italy on a two week vacation. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:01 am Meanwhile abortion is such an existential threat, Pelosi is off gallivanting in Italy on a two week vacation. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Congress is out of session on recess since June 27 until July 8, birdbrain. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:07 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:01 am Meanwhile abortion is such an existential threat, Pelosi is off gallivanting in Italy on a two week vacation. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Congress is out of session on recess since June 27 until July 8, birdbrain. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

‘Existential threats’ generally cancel vacation time. Unless it’s not an existential threat.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:08 am

‘Existential threats’ generally cancel vacation time. Unless it’s not an existential threat.
I guess that's why the existential threat that is YOU never goes on vacation, birdbrain. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Kismet wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:10 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:08 am

I guess that's why the existential threat that is YOU never goes on vacation, birdbrain. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Every day I wake up feels like a vacation. Life is great. I live in the best country that ever was!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

What will be the punishment?

CU88

Post by CU88 »

If the state law says life begins at conception, then she is not wrong.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdo ... -a-ticket/

A woman in Dallas is arguing that she can’t be ticketed for driving alone in the HOV lane because she’s 34 weeks pregnant and the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade—and Texas law now says a fetus is a person. She says they can’t have it both ways.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU88 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:44 am If the state law says life begins at conception, then she is not wrong.

A woman in Dallas is arguing that she can’t be ticketed for driving alone in the HOV lane because she’s 34 weeks pregnant and the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade—and Texas law now says a fetus is a person. She says they can’t have it both ways.
:lol: Good for her. That pro-lifer that they reached for comment is a complete moron. What a great opportunity to make the pro-life point......missed opportunity because she's slow witted.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:44 am If the state law says life begins at conception, then she is not wrong.

:lol: :lol: I love it!
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://news.yahoo.com/floating-abortio ... 15480.html

Here is an outside of the box solution. I expect a good portion of the folks on this forum to blow the dust off their checkbooks and donate hugely. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:42 am Interesting thread: https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/stat ... sD97yHmDoQ
yes, quite a thread of right wing hate and anger...is that your feed, youth?
Or did you stumble on someone else's?

This is the problem of Twitter and other such sites, the algorithmic curation of the very worst trolling, everyone trying to get attention to whatever ugliness and nonsense they can post...whether left or right...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:20 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:42 am Interesting thread: https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/stat ... sD97yHmDoQ

This is the problem of Twitter and other such sites, the algorithmic curation of the very worst trolling, everyone trying to get attention to whatever ugliness and nonsense they can post...whether left or right...
Jonathan Turley is now considered trolling? Please share your timeline or blog so we can get up to date information on all the facts from you.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:41 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:20 am

Jonathan Turley is now considered trolling? Please share your timeline or blog so we can get up to date information on all the facts from you.
Turley is trying to get attention...but I was referring to the rest of the tweet thread below it...wow, what a bunch of right wing mush. Yes, trolling garbage.

On the story Turley is trying to get attention to for himself, the Washington Post is all over it:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... oes-viral/

Looks to me like either the doctor on the record is lying or not...Turley ignores that they are admitting that the State AG would find it hard to find the report given that they are kept local...and it would potentially violate the privacy of the child and the current investigation.

But it ain't being ignored and Turley is just trying to get noticed as if he has something to say.
IMO, he's a jerk, playing to his crowd for personal ego and profit.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... don't understand the claim that the child was raped. I believe I reported the original story on this board (based on the IndyStar report), and as I recall the doctor claimed the child was "abused". The nature of the abuse was never made clear. Maybe much more complicated than rape. I can understand why an Ohio doctor might not want to be made known in this crazy environment. I am sure the Indiana physician is going to take a lot of heat.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:34 am ... don't understand the claim that the child was raped. I believe I reported the original story on this board (based on the IndyStar report), and as I recall the doctor claimed the child was "abused". The nature of the abuse was never made clear. Maybe much more complicated than rape. I can understand why an Ohio doctor might not want to be made known in this crazy environment. I am sure the Indiana physician is going to take a lot of heat.
not sure how it's possible to be merely complicated when a 10 year old becomes pregnant... this has to be 'rape'.

But being identified may well be much more complicated, and certainly this is an incredibly hostile environment. I'd sure as heck understand a doc not want to be identified as the doc who helped the child, given that hostility.

Return to “POLITICS”