C2C 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Pinchnpop

Re: C2C 2021

Post by Pinchnpop »

YCOLaxFanSU wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm
Any predictions on the Gull/CNU rematch April 14?

The game is at CNU on a Wednesday night. I'm thinking Gulls but by a much closer margin of victory. Maybe even a tight one.
Gulls are getting better every day, CNU just lost to Colorado. Even after losing at the Bury the day before that is a game that they needed to win. That will be the format come playoffs, Saturday Sunday games. Don't expect a close game.
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

What is everyone's thoughts about the reduction in teams that will qualify for the tournament? There will be a lot of very good teams that will be out because they aren't the AQ. It also bothers me that potentially a team like Gettysburg, could end up playing only 5 games and qualify. I hope they take another look at this and adjust ... if not, it will be another unneeded and undeserved screw job to many kids.
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

Pinchnpop wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:05 am
YCOLaxFanSU wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm
Any predictions on the Gull/CNU rematch April 14?

The game is at CNU on a Wednesday night. I'm thinking Gulls but by a much closer margin of victory. Maybe even a tight one.
Gulls are getting better every day, CNU just lost to Colorado. Even after losing at the Bury the day before that is a game that they needed to win. That will be the format come playoffs, Saturday Sunday games. Don't expect a close game.
I think CC is better than people give them credit for, and they've just gotten themselves in to the top 20.

It seems like there's a little bit more parity this year. Just some examples...Lynchburg beat SVU. CNU beat SVU. SVU beat W&L. W&L beat Lynchburg. CNU beat Lynchburg. Lynchburg beat CNU. Hampden Sydney beat W&L. Colorado College beat SVU and CNU, but lost to Colorado Mesa.

Since losing to Lynchburg, Salisbury has been on a roll. Cabrini is the only team that has really challenged them, and that game was 11-4.

The CNU game will probably be closer than the last game (25-12) but IMO the Gulls are on another level right now.

As a total aside...SVU has played 11 games. 8 of those teams are ranked in the top 15 of this quant ranking http://app.lummys.com/category/ranking/16/2021 And 7 of them are currently ranked in the US Lacrosse top 20. Gnarly schedule.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Big Easy Lax wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:21 pm What is everyone's thoughts about the reduction in teams that will qualify for the tournament? There will be a lot of very good teams that will be out because they aren't the AQ. It also bothers me that potentially a team like Gettysburg, could end up playing only 5 games and qualify. I hope they take another look at this and adjust ... if not, it will be another unneeded and undeserved screw job to many kids.
With all due respect but the kids playing for the teams in the Centennial and NESCAC are the ones getting the screw job. Many of these kids came back to school with their pathetic "we are the smartest guys in the room" conference presidents keeping them in the dark about a season because there was no intention to play. Then these conferences put together a half arsed 4-6 game schedule to "make the minimal requirement for NCAA qualifications", only after massive protest from the student athletes themselves .Trust me the kids in the CC and NESCAC are looking around saying "how could we not have figured how to play more games?" Its not their fault they only get 5-6 games. Its a difficult year for everyone, but don't take it out on the kids playing at these schools. If the NCAA says 5 games is enough in this season to give those kids that opportunity if they win their conference and qualify Im cool with it.

To me this is no difference then seeing teams from small conferences making the NCAA that have 0 chance of winning it all taking away bids from much better programs in more competitive conference.
Big Easy Lax

Post by Big Easy Lax »

We all know the issue lies with the admins not the kids. I am saying they should not dilute the tournament by reducing the opportunity for all of the teams that truly deserve to be there. That said, we know by now that the clowns running the show don't see it the logical, reasonable way.
Fandadof3laxers

Post by Fandadof3laxers »

Great effort from SMCM vs Gulls today. Very close game through 3Q. Achilles is faceoff and turnovers. Goalie DJ stood on his head to keep them in it. Score doesn’t say it all, and the Gulls have weaknesses for sure. Rematch on the river will be good I bet.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

I am excited to see the outcome of this SMCM/SVU game, being a 3 seed means so much more than a 4 seed this year
Slim

Post by Slim »

SVU - 15
Smcm - 12

SMCM is disappointing in 2021. Undisciplined + too many turnovers (25 today & 20+avg/game) + no ball movement 1v1 offense scheme +sub-par clearing (15-25 today) + passive defense (giving up 13 goals/game) + faceoffs sub-40% = 2-7 record (Result? Sharing the C2C basement with UMW).
Stats like this don’t lie!

Tough on the players. They have more talent than showing.

And, several obnoxious, classless parents yelling on sidelines to boot! Embarrassing for the program and the school.

What the heck SMCM?
Slim

Post by Slim »

Southern Virginia.

Meanwhile, in Buena Vista, Va, the Knights have been building a real program. They have played a tough, outstanding schedule vs. 8 Top 20 teams (5-7 overall, 3-2 conference). Look at the roster...players from all over the country. Depth in every position for the most part. Yes, they give up goals (however, they did cause several SMCM turnovers, 25 overall yesterday both forced and unforced) but this team is well-coached, has a great offensive scheme, clears well, and is athletic. You can tell this coach has a vision, develops players, and competes to win.

They used the 10-man ride to near perfection yesterday, and SMCM had no adjustments or answers except to throw lollipops at the goal, without an effective end-line backup. Result, SMCM clearing average = 61%. Abysmal for any team, especially if you lose the groundball and face-off battles.

I really like the way they are a pass first offense to get the defense rotating, and then find good spots to dodge when players are running at them out of position. Their attack is lethal.

I think SVU has what it takes to go deep into the C2C playoffs if they can get some defensive stops. Watch out for them in 2022 as well.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Slim wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:14 pm SVU 15
Smcm 12
SMCM is disappointing in 2021. Undisciplined, too many turnovers (25 today & 20+avg/game, no ball movement 1v1 offense scheme, sub-par clearing (15-25 today), passive defense (giving up 13 goals/game), faceoffs sub-40% at best = 2-7 record. Stats like this don’t lie!

Sharing the C2C basement with UMW.
Tough on the players. They have more talent than showing.

And, several obnoxious, classless parents yelling on sidelines. Embarrassing!

What the heck SMCM?
Agreed and this is why, IMO....

~ Essentially one midfield line all year
~ Rotating 4+ D-mids, as if they have to take equal turns, and it appears they clearly are not given the green light to push transition.
~ Clears are painful to watch as they pull all of the attack up towards midfield, giving the poles and D-mids no where to to go. Have the attack never heard of clearing through to open the alley?
~ Rides are damned near non-existent. How about a simple deep drop back.
~ Facoeoff's - First 8 games, when they do have success that player is often rotated out. Yesterday was the first day I saw some consistency at the X, when #14 (pole)was there, he gave them a fighting chance.....but then they would rotate all the D-mids, providing no consistency.
~ Where has #4 been all year. Seems each time he gets in the game he scores and/or contributes. He should be on the first line.

Yesterday on clears against the SVU 10-man ride, was additionally infuriating. It appeared our strategy was simply to shoot it, regardless of where we were...then to add insult to injury, the attack were getting beat on the endline to maintain possession, why? probably because they are always pulled pull up to midfield.

It appears, that each game plan is simple....avoid faceoffs. Which is why they are afraid to add additional O-midfielders, rotate a 4th or 5th attakckman, discourage any and all transition, and a passive defense. These are symptoms of not trusting your players, coupled with practice design issues that do not promote growth.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Fandadof3laxers

Not posted on Insidelacrosse, but the SMC v MW game was rescheduled for today. Draw at 3pm in Fredericksburg. Live stream?
Slim

Post by Slim »

Youthathletics, Thank you for the analysis. I appreciate the strategy explanations. Seems like you have a coaching background. And in my non-expert opinion, the statistics I offered back up your strategic points. I've watched the game, been around sports a long time, and feel like I have some kind of clue, but just don't understand all the nuances of the strategy.

So, if the plan is to shoot the length of the field, over the goal, why not have an attackman glue his heels to the baseline or backline? I don't get it.

Conversely, I've seen SVU play a few teams this year vs. ODAC opponents, as well as the C2C games, and am very impressed. Although, they did get bombed by Salisbury early in the season.

Not gonna make it around "the whip" 495 beltway for today’s SMCM v UMW game, so if you do please recap if possible. Thanks again.
Last edited by Slim on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

Fandadof3laxers wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 pm Great effort from SMCM vs Gulls today. Very close game through 3Q. Achilles is faceoff and turnovers. Goalie DJ stood on his head to keep them in it. Score doesn’t say it all, and the Gulls have weaknesses for sure. Rematch on the river will be good I bet.

Props to SMCM for playing tough through three- The Gulls didn't shoot particularly well and SM goalie made some saves. History tells me the Gulls play better the second time they play a team in a season and Berkman will be emphasizing the elimination of the sloppy play. No disrespect, but I'd guess the margin of victory for the Gulls will be larger in this next game SMCM.

To me, "weaknesses" on a team imply there are positions where the players simply won't be able to execute certain skills which defenses can count on when game planning . The Gulls don't have this problem. Salisbury's '21 team is improving week to week and this is nothing new for the Gulls - They are still ironing out some offensive chemistry associated with how opponents may be playing them (i.e., man vs. zone variations). Simple variations in the 2-man game or running the ball through X can cause locking off adjacent players/passes a real problem for defenses. The big shooters for the Gulls seem to be seeing feeds more and more. There have been a lot of open feeds in every game that haven't been made. IMO, this hasn't been an issue about selfish play - it's been more of a situation that happens while a team develops chemistry. It's where a good shooter sees an open shot from 13-14 yards and doesn't see a teammate that's open from 6-10. Once these passes start being consistently seen/made, it will be incredibly difficult to slow down this Gulls offense. SU is putting up a lot of goals already and they have all sorts of wrinkles in their offense they haven't yet uncovered.

What I've heard and what may be most important thing is that this is a tight-knit group of guys on the offensive unit. They want to win and they know they have the pieces to go all the way. If they just keep improving and play gritty lacrosse, I like their chances.

GO GULLS!!!
Slim

Post by Slim »

SMCM pulls out a dub in OT v. UMW, 13-12 according to the SMCM website. Finally a win for the Hawks! 3-7 overall, 1-3 C2C.

Stat line...20 turnovers (not any better), 18-20 clears (improvement, but heard in crunch time they panicked and threw it away a couple times), 12-27 faceoffs (meh, #18 did fairly well yesterday), #25 is playing well at attack (moved back from midfield last week) and carrying the offense now.

Most likely, will have to play UMW a 3rd time as a play-in game for the C2C playoffs.

#2 Seagulls head down to the river next weekend for rematch.
Last edited by Slim on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
overandback

Post by overandback »

COGULL, stats reflect you are prolific and scary on O, super solid at FO, LSM and D. Your man down unit is stellar - 5 goals in 9 games!
We envy the gulls!
But sorry to say....the numbers also reflect a weakness.

Your goaltending was pedestrian vs Lynchburg.
Then it was good for a nice stretch (see Cabrini, CC,...)
but the last 3 games have got to have Berkman concerned.

6gs on 13 shots vs Stockton
12 on 22 vs CNU
And back to full pedestrian on Wednesday allowing 6 goals on 9 SOG's by SMCM.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

6gs on 13 shots vs Stockton
12 on 22 vs CNU
And back to full pedestrian on Wednesday allowing 6 goals on 9 SOG's by SMCM.
[/quote]

Back out all the goals in those 3 games that were scored against Salisbury’s 2nd and 3rd team defenses, and 2nd and 3rd team goalie, and the play of the 1st team goalie appears much less “pedestrian” ...
overandback

Post by overandback »

the backup goalies faced 5 shots in those three games.
It's not them.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

overandback wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:04 pm the backup goalies faced 5 shots in those three games.
It's not them.
You may be right - we’ll see come tournament time (don’t think they will be tested too much in their remaining regular season games?).

If they hold opponents to under 10 they will be a very tough out in the post season.
Fandadof3laxers

SMC cleaned up the face offs against MW with the big soph using his body to protect the draw and gb. The offense is definitely moving the ball better with the changes they made. Gulls on the river could be interesting. SMC finally gets a week to rest and prepare and they’ll need it!
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Personally, I don't think stat lines really reflect a goalie's performance for a team like the Gulls. I can personally say that the defensive unit I was part of was extremely aggressive, especially with coming out and pressuring the adjacent passes. Our d-mids had a long leash and we believed in our 1 on 1 match-ups. Sometimes this meant a slide either didn't come or came too late.

In fact, we even had a call that locked off the adjacent if we liked a particular matchup that we used probably a handful of times a game, including both national championships games. More times than not, this aggressive style generated a turnover or at least caused chaos. However, it can also burn you... I played with 2 keepers who were very good, who didn't necessarily have the best save %, but have some jewelry for their efforts. One guy, in particular, had more than his fair share of sub 50% games, but still played well. As you can imagine, sometimes that pressure would break down and the next thing you know, he's getting dunked on. I can't recall the exact game, but I believe there was a game in there that he gave up maybe a handful of goals, but only recorded a save or 2. Great post-game tailgates tossing out that stat line to him haha.

The true indicator for me so the eyeball test. Is Ellis making the saves he should make and a few of those 50/50s? For the most part, yes. With that being said, I don't think he's a game-changer, but he is certainly more than serviceable. He's not a liability in clears and he doesn't seem to get rattled. Statistically one of his worst games was Lynchburg. In that game, I noted how poor transition defense was and I believe fast breaks accounted for at least 3 of the 10 goals. All in all, I wouldn't call Salisbury's goaltending a weakness, but I'm totally fine with acknowledging that it is not as strong as other areas (face-offs, attack, defense, etc.)

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”