See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Re: Bourbon

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:24 pm On CBS Sunday Morning this am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... d-bourbon/
Great story. Thanks for posting.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’ve actually been out on Pappy last couple of years as the mythology really outgrew it even though it’s quite good (15yr far better value than 23 IMO) but still a good little clip I thought.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:12 pm I’ve actually been out on Pappy last couple of years as the mythology really outgrew it even though it’s quite good (15yr far better value than 23 IMO) but still a good little clip I thought.
Agreed. Seems the much older stuff loses something. I actually made up a small blend of my own with Some Weller Antique and Weller SR.....pretty damned good.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:24 pm On CBS Sunday Morning this am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... d-bourbon/
More than a little disappointing that they imply that that Van Winkles are distillers. They're not. They don't know a thing about distilling.

They buy the Whiskey from Buffalo Trace distillers, and put their own label on it. That whiskey that got that 99 score they mentioned? That came from an entirely different distillery. Funny, they "forgot" to mention that.

It's like pretending to be Eric Ripert, when instead, all you do is buy a plate of food from Eric Ripert, and put your own label on it.\

I'd blame Sunday Morning for the editorial choices, but they put the words "Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery" on their packaging. Not cool.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Drink to your tastes, not the label.

Trust your tastebuds!

There is a lot of good stuff out there. And for the good or bad, much reputation is marketing.

I did start one of these solera bottles, which is kinda fun. And the bottle has it's own log or diary which is half the fun. Any time I get a bottle that I really like, I add a bit to the Solera:

https://www.connosr.com/solera-bottle-w ... ssion-1120

PS: Enjoy however you see fit. But it's been my experience that its best to do separate scotch and American soleras. The peat can overwhelm sometimes.

But Irish and American work VERY well, IMO. They compliment each other a lot of times. And the Irish can switch hit!
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm Drink to your tastes, not the label.

Trust your tastebuds!

There is a lot of good stuff out there. And for the good or bad, much reputation is marketing.
This, x 100!

That's the wonderful thing....if you're into whiskey? There are many, many beautiful whiskies out there that are criminally underrated, inexpensive, and delicious on the American market. It's about what YOU like
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm Drink to your tastes, not the label.

Trust your tastebuds!

I did start one of these solera bottles, which is kinda fun. And the bottle has it's own log or diary which is half the fun. Any time I get a bottle that I really like, I add a bit to the Solera:

PS: Enjoy however you see fit. But it's been my experience that its best to do separate scotch and American soleras. The peat can overwhelm sometimes.

But Irish and American work VERY well, IMO. They compliment each other a lot of times. And the Irish can switch hit!
Agreed on the taste buds comment completely....and I am certainly no snob.

Anyone ever made their own Grandpa Weller Four Grain. I have seen people try it and I was considering it, so I just purchased a bottle of OGD114 to give it a shot, as I have a few bottles of Weller SR.

I have started my own Solera bottle, it's about two inches full in an emptied Leopold Whiskey Bottle. I ever bought a small moleskin book to write in the date and product.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:03 am

Trust your tastebuds!

Anyone ever made their own Grandpa Weller Four Grain. I have seen people try it and I was considering it, so I just purchased a bottle of OGD114 to give it a shot, as I have a few bottles of Weller SR.

I have started my own Solera bottle, it's about two inches full in an emptied Leopold Whiskey Bottle. I ever bought a small moleskin book to write in the date and product.
You're lucky to be able to find Weller where you are.
Cant find it anywhere within an hour of my house. ANd the one place that admitted to getting it, said he just gets a bottle or two occasionally.
Heard its much more plentiful down south though.
I need to take a trip down south to expand my taste buds!
I used to love Ebay for finding new and exotic bottles, before their terms of use outlawed it.

:cry:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Trust your tastebuds!

Cant find it anywhere within an hour of my house. ANd the one place that admitted to getting it, said he just gets a bottle or two occasionally.
I used to love Ebay for finding new and exotic bottles, before their terms of use outlawed it.

I feel your pain. I bought one from a friend that brought home a case, another a found sitting behind a counter and he hooked me for MSRP. The Weller Antique was actually found in an Ellicot City store....paid a bit more than at an ABC store at $78, but knew it would awhile before I found it again.
~Livy
richard

Post by richard »

When I was a kid about 12 or so, my uncle Charlie would come visit for Thanksgiving. I caught him one morning at the liquor cabinet with a bottle of bourbon in hand. Unfazed he went about his business lifting the bottle and toasting the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights with a long slug. Later on he told me that as his bottles neared the end of their usefulness that he would collect the last droplets into a special bottle that he called Old Thunderclap.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

richard wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:34 pm When I was a kid about 12 or so, my uncle Charlie would come visit for Thanksgiving. I caught him one morning at the liquor cabinet with a bottle of bourbon in hand. Unfazed he went about his business lifting the bottle and toasting the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights with a long slug. Later on he told me that as his bottles neared the end of their usefulness that he would collect the last droplets into a special bottle that he called Old Thunderclap.
:lol: :lol: Everyone has an Uncle Charlie!!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Trust your tastebuds!

Yeah weller has gotten more expensive but it’s stocked at many liquor stores around Atlanta.
See Martin, Malcolm
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

For special occasions I have an Old Fitzgerald 13 year 100 proof and Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof.

Strictly one or two finger pour neat to enjoy with a cigar. Some like to add a few drops of water but that is all I allow in my presence.

Woodford Reserve or Blanton's is my go to when hanging out.

But for some reason I prefer Wild Turkey in my Manhattan's to the chagrin of all around me.

And to add some brevity here is a well aged tweet and response from maker. Notice I used no hashtags in original tweet.
Sinatra Chivas JD.jpg
Sinatra Chivas JD.jpg (166.5 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
The parent, not the coach.
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

I'm a Maker's Mark man myself. Particularly the Maker's 46. Always neat. I've got many different Bourbons around and will only add a bit of water if it's a Cask Strength bottle....sometimes...
:)
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Tough to go wrong with Wild Turkey 101. Tasty, cheap, easy to find. OGD 114 is another great one mentioned for the price, but it too is getting more expensive.

There's a pretty great Virginia bourbon if you can find it near you - John J Bowman. I've tried to support a few other Virginia distilleries, but it's mostly very young stuff that isn't very good. Hopefully they get better.

There are one or two upsides to living in an ABC state - everything is at MSRP, and the allocated bourbons are usually done via lottery. I won a 20 year old Pappy last year and paid $200. Still overpriced IMHO, but definitely a great pour and one of the best I've tasted personally. But the harder to find stuff that isn't done via lottery still brings lines and is gone in a few minutes. Blantons, Stagg Jr, Weller Antique, Old Fitzgerald 9 & 14yr. Even regular ol' Buffalo Trace sells out pretty quick. Amazing how people are going crazy for the Buffalo Trace products. Bottom shelf bourbon from 10-15 years ago is selling for $100-$200.

Here's a line last week at the local VABC store for 9 bottles - 6 of EH Taylor Barrel Proof and 3 of Weller Full Proof. I saw them on my lunch break and asked how long they had been waiting - the first few people showed up about 3 hours prior. Apparently that was the scene all over Virginia. Kinda nuts.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah the whole craze is just too trendy, but it'll die off eventually and purists can have their bourbons back.
See Martin, Malcolm
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Glad someone won that auction for Pappy!
The one out of the UK? I entered it too. No luck though.
On a budget, I can dig some Evan WIlliams Single Barrel or slum it with their black label. It always sits right with me.
:P
Do they still make Old Forester Birthday Bourbon? Got a bottle of that 10 years ago (as a birthday gift) and it was a treat.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Jim Malone wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:44 pm For special occasions I have an Old Fitzgerald 13 year 100 proof and Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof.

Strictly one or two finger pour neat to enjoy with a cigar. Some like to add a few drops of water but that is all I allow in my presence.

Woodford Reserve or Blanton's is my go to when hanging out.
Can't find either Blantons or Buffalo Trace around me. They have the spots on the shelf......just not the goods.
Bart

Post by Bart »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:12 pm

Trust your tastebuds!

This, x 100!

That's the wonderful thing....if you're into whiskey? There are many, many beautiful whiskies out there that are criminally underrated, inexpensive, and delicious on the American market. It's about what YOU like
Care to educate the less educated here?

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”