Bourbon

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Bourbon

Post by youthathletics »

get it to x wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:49 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:17 am Fresh Crack Friday evening.....really enjoyed this:

Where do you find these crazy bourbons? Where do you live again? I moved from Annapolis to Greenville, SC three years ago and the bourbon scene is good down here but we don't have oddballs like Lee W. Sinclair. I am going down to Athens, GA in a couple of weeks to do business and bourbon hunt. I will report back.

BTW, great bourbon cocktail if you aren't averse to bitter.

PAPER PLANE

1 oz bourbon
1 oz Aperol
1 oz Amaro de Nonino
1 oz lemon juice

Shake and serve in a coupe or "Nick and Nora" glass.
About 2-3 years ago I had enough of chasing all the staples I use to to get regularly. My go to for a long time was Elmer T. Lee, sat on damned near every shelf...now, its impossible and you have to best friends with the store owner or spend a ton of cash, if they even get one....so, I stopped buying anything from Buffalo Trace, unless I found it for MSPR, which is never unless my son finds it at NEX for me.

I started looking for boutique distillers and bottles that were priced appropriately, and not afraid to try something I knew nothing about. I believe Afan may have turned my eye to "Spirits of French LIck" who make the Lee Sinclair.

There is a nice offering in SC that I also enjoy.... Anita's Choice, from Burnt Church, in Bluffton, SC. The Anita's Choice is the only thing I have had from them, no clue what their other offerings are like. THe Johnny Fever, looks promising ... https://burntchurchdistillery.com/spirits/johnny-fever/

I am not much of a cocktail drinker, and when I do, I often make:

Tom Ford not sure if this the proper name.

2 oz bourbon or rye
1 oz Carpano Antiqa Formula (sweeter citrus leaning vermouth)
couple dashes of (orange bitters) or your choice.
cut a small piece of orange peel, express oil in glass, wipe rim and drop it in the rocks glass.

I live near Annapolis, so as you know, stores are plentiful of new offerings.

Good luck hunting.....
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
get it to x

Re: Bourbon

Post by get it to x »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:17 pm
get it to x wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:49 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:17 am Fresh Crack Friday evening.....really enjoyed this:

Where do you find these crazy bourbons? Where do you live again? I moved from Annapolis to Greenville, SC three years ago and the bourbon scene is good down here but we don't have oddballs like Lee W. Sinclair. I am going down to Athens, GA in a couple of weeks to do business and bourbon hunt. I will report back.

BTW, great bourbon cocktail if you aren't averse to bitter.

PAPER PLANE

1 oz bourbon
1 oz Aperol
1 oz Amaro de Nonino
1 oz lemon juice

Shake and serve in a coupe or "Nick and Nora" glass.
About 2-3 years ago I had enough of chasing all the staples I use to to get regularly. My go to for a long time was Elmer T. Lee, sat on damned near every shelf...now, its impossible and you have to best friends with the store owner or spend a ton of cash, if they even get one....so, I stopped buying anything from Buffalo Trace, unless I found it for MSPR, which is never unless my son finds it at NEX for me.

I started looking for boutique distillers and bottles that were priced appropriately, and not afraid to try something I knew nothing about. I believe Afan may have turned my eye to "Spirits of French LIck" who make the Lee Sinclair.

There is a nice offering in SC that I also enjoy.... Anita's Choice, from Burnt Church, in Bluffton, SC. The Anita's Choice is the only thing I have had from them, no clue what their other offerings are like. THe Johnny Fever, looks promising ... https://burntchurchdistillery.com/spirits/johnny-fever/

I am not much of a cocktail drinker, and when I do, I often make:

Tom Ford not sure if this the proper name.

2 oz bourbon or rye
1 oz Carpano Antiqa Formula (sweeter citrus leaning vermouth)
couple dashes of (orange bitters) or your choice.
cut a small piece of orange peel, express oil in glass, wipe rim and drop it in the rocks glass.

I live near Annapolis, so as you know, stores are plentiful of new offerings.

Good luck hunting.....
Somewhat red-faced, I need to admit I was a vodka guy until I moved here. Tom Ford looks to be another riff on a Manhattan. I like a Black Manhattan, substituting Averna for the Carpano Antica. Orange and Old Fashioned bitters and a Luxardo cherry.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”