North Carolina

D1 Womens Lacrosse
user1020

Re: North Carolina

Post by user1020 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:42 pm
seacoaster wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:32 pm
user1020 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:00 pm With all the 5th years and transfers, who do we think is starting for UNC on attack and midfield?
Moreno
Nalls
Trenchard
Dorsey? Neumen?

Ortega
Warehime
Wurzburger
Mastro
Growney
Hillman/Humphrey
Dirks
Dont forget Aldave....she's listed as attack
Was wondering what they would do with 5 possible starting attackers
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

user1020 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:00 pm With all the 5th years and transfers, who do we think is starting for UNC on attack and midfield?
Moreno
Nalls
Trenchard
Dorsey? Neumen?

Ortega
Warehime
Wurzburger
Mastro
Growney
Hillman/Humphrey
Dirks
Oh for heaven’s sake. I did forget her.

UNC’s issue is going to be settling on the 7 and chemistry.

And Sconone gave them some valuable minutes and timely goals and a different shape last year.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:59 pm
Moreno
Nalls
Trenchard
Dorsey? Neumen?

Ortega
Warehime
Wurzburger
Mastro
Growney
Hillman/Humphrey
Dirks

And Sconone gave them some valuable minutes and timely goals and a different shape last year.
They also have Sam Geiersbach. UNC almost has too many options to chose from.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

user1020 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:11 pm
Moreno
Nalls
Trenchard
Dorsey? Neumen?

Ortega
Warehime
Wurzburger
Mastro
Growney
Hillman/Humphrey
Dirks

They also have Sam Geiersbach from Richmond. UNC almost has too many options to chose from.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Moreno
Nalls
Trenchard
Dorsey? Neumen?

Ortega
Warehime
Wurzburger
Mastro
Growney
Hillman/Humphrey
Dirks

Heard from a source, with knowledge of the team, that while Aldave is listed as an Attacker, she likely will be playing Middie. Wow, what skilled players UNC has to choose from.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:26 pm
Moreno
Nalls
Trenchard
Dorsey? Neumen?

Ortega
Warehime
Wurzburger
Mastro
Growney
Hillman/Humphrey
Dirks

Heard from a source, with knowledge of the team, that while Aldave is listed as an Attacker, she likely will be playing Middie. Wow, what skilled players UNC has to choose from.
Ortega
Wurzburger
Growney
Warehime

Mastro
Aldave
Dirks

2nd middie line maybe
Humphrey
Hillman

Maybe Hillman plays defense
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

user1020 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:19 pm
Moreno
Nalls
Trenchard
Dorsey? Neumen?

Ortega
Warehime
Wurzburger
Mastro
Growney
Hillman/Humphrey
Dirks

Ortega
Wurzburger
Growney
Warehime

Mastro
Aldave
Dirks

2nd middie line maybe
Humphrey
Hillman

If 100% healthy, I don't know how you keep Hillman off the 1st middie line. Also, what an embarrassment of riches on the draw - Aldave, Mastro, Dirks...
user1020

Post by user1020 »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:11 pm
user1020 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:19 pm
Moreno
Nalls
Trenchard
Dorsey? Neumen?

Ortega
Warehime
Wurzburger
Mastro
Growney
Hillman/Humphrey
Dirks

Ortega
Wurzburger
Growney
Warehime

Mastro
Aldave
Dirks

2nd middie line maybe
Humphrey
Hillman

If 100% healthy, I don't know how you keep Hillman off the 1st middie line. Also, what an embarrassment of riches on the draw - Aldave, Mastro, Dirks...
I hope Hillman is 100% healthy.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

With this roster and depth of talent, and 5 of 10 preseason Tewaaraton watchlist players coming from UNC how can they possibly lose - again.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:01 pm With this roster and depth of talent, and 5 of 10 preseason Tewaaraton watchlist players coming from UNC how can they possibly lose - again.
Is that a rhetorical question? 😉
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:01 pm With this roster and depth of talent, and 5 of 10 preseason Tewaaraton watchlist players coming from UNC how can they possibly lose - again.
I think we all can agree they will be formidable. The only doubts you can have about UNC is the team's and staff's ability to make the pieces gel and work together, particularly with so many transfers and new faces looking for playing time. For example, who sits (or stands, on the sideline, at the ready...) while Geiersbach plays? You need some absolutely dedicated esprit de corps to move forward with a group that came as freshmen to accept the bump from a transfer or grad student. If they can work through that, and find the group that plays best together, they have every chance of making the final and winning.

As you look at rosters, do any of you get the feeling that there is BC and UNC, and then a meaningful drop off to the next group? I'm thinking here about, for example, the Syracuse rebuild on defense and goal.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:51 am
I think we all can agree they will be formidable. The only doubts you can have about UNC is the team's and staff's ability to make the pieces gel and work together, particularly with so many transfers and new faces looking for playing time. For example, who sits (or stands, on the sideline, at the ready...) while Geiersbach plays? You need some absolutely dedicated esprit de corps to move forward with a group that came as freshmen to accept the bump from a transfer or grad student. If they can work through that, and find the group that plays best together, they have every chance of making the final and winning.

As you look at rosters, do any of you get the feeling that there is BC and UNC, and then a meaningful drop off to the next group? I'm thinking here about, for example, the Syracuse rebuild on defense and goal.
I honestly think it's a toss up between UNC, BC and SYR with whoever has the hot goalie will win it...we saw that happen last year.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:55 am

I honestly think it's a toss up between UNC, BC and SYR with whoever has the hot goalie will win it...we saw that happen last year.
Couldn't agree more with 8Meter. Don't sell Cuse short. Losing Ward is a big blow but they have a formidable Team and the D will figure it out. Curious to see if Cuse dumps the backer zone? That said BC and UNC are stacked. The UNC embarrassment of talent riches could create real chemistry issues. Rotating doesn't work for Alphas and they have a lot of Alphas.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Laxallday wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:27 am
8meterPA wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:55 am

Couldn't agree more with 8Meter. Don't sell Cuse short. Losing Ward is a big blow but they have a formidable Team and the D will figure it out. Curious to see if Cuse dumps the backer zone? That said BC and UNC are stacked. The UNC embarrassment of talent riches could create real chemistry issues. Rotating doesn't work for Alphas and they have a lot of Alphas.
Chemistry at UNC will be THE question mark - Hoeg was excellent at distributing the ball and literally could hit Ortega blindfolded. Not sure CW has that ability or connection with Ortega...yet. Mastro and Hillman are excellent at knowing their roles and stepping up when needed. SRG demands the ball as well and will want her share of scoring oppty's. I'll be curious to see how the newcomer is able to fit into that system (or not fit in) and not try to be "the" person, but rather have a defined role.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I think they had the talent last year but they just didn't show up for the semi vs BC. The Heels were shooting wide all day. No doubt Hall came up huge on a number of key scoring chances but NC wasn't deadly in putting away their opportunities either. There were internal issues as well. There was resentment on the team about CW's playing time and role in the offense. At least one key player for the Heels on the offense was dinged up too. Plus, this team has a history of not showing up in the postseason at times. There are plenty of reasons they could lose again in 2022. Having a bevy of talented players only gets you so far. I still think they need a fire-in-the-belly leader like Aly Messinger to put them over the top. Does NC have one amongst all their talent? We shall see...
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"There was resentment on the team about CW's playing time and role in the offense."

Is this true? What is the source for this statement?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:22 pm "There was resentment on the team about CW's playing time and role in the offense."

Apparently there’s a mole!
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Agree Aly Messinger was a big game player who stepped up on the biggest stage. Last year UNC had too many players trying to be that player - especially in the midfield position.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:22 pm "There was resentment on the team about CW's playing time and role in the offense."

Hmmm. I'll second that question..

[edit] added the word "question" for clarity. Wasnt seconding the resentment statement.
Last edited by Dr. Tact on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:39 pm

Hmmm. I'll second that..
I believe I’ve heard this before……. With little evidence.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”