D2 Mens Lacrosse
hooligan88

Re: UTampa

Post by hooligan88 »

J.B. Clarke Named Head Coach of Tampa Following Rory Whipple's Retirement
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Any word if Clarke is retaining any of the former assistants or brining in his own staff?
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Both options are definitely (or were) being considered
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Looks like Coach Clarke is sticking with Sullivan and Kew. Perhaps he adds additional assistants he has familiarity with. Good to keep those two for some continuity but Coach is definitely making his mark on the program.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

Interesting move, most coaches want to clean house and bring in their own people. We will see how it plays out.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:54 am Interesting move, most coaches want to clean house and bring in their own people. We will see how it plays out.
When JB came to Limestone he kept on Chris Barrett, who stayed for a couple of years before taking the Belmont Abbey head position...

He also brought in Brendan Storrier, the new Limestone head coach, and Jay Tranello as additional assistants that first year.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:54 am Interesting move, most coaches want to clean house and bring in their own people. We will see how it plays out.

I’ve also heard that during the hiring process the AD was adamant about Sully’s job security for at least the first year with the New HC
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

I guess my questions would be: if the AD was so admit about the Asst. being retained, why wouldn't he hire him for the HC job.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:48 am I guess my questions would be: if the AD was so admit about the Asst. being retained, why wouldn't he hire him for the HC job.
Please let me try to take a crack at this one as I’ve seen this brought up on the d3 coaching carousel board. I think it’s pretty simple the AD recognizes said coach has a big connection to the roster and fears a potential “mass exodus” from the team to the transfer portal. With that said the assistant has had a decent track record of success coaching their side of the ball and probably is well liked in the department. The problem is the assistant coach dosent have the “juice” or “big name” the AD wants for the quality of the job. If the AD takes the swing and goes with the unproven not so big name hire and it flops he would get crushed. But if he goes with the splash and it flops he can make an excuse and point to atleast a proven track record previously. Finally who’s to say the ADs is not looking for the next job? If this one hits for the AD and Tampa wins a NC maybe the AD parlays this into a better gig for himself.

Unproven assistant=major gamble no real payoff and probably pissed off alumni who thought they could go get an unreasonable name

Proven big name HC= AD could go get the big name and the alumni stay a bit quieter for now
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I think, or at least I hope, that at a lot of these schools there is a sense of loyalty to assistant coaches. It's a sliding scale with D1 basketball at one extreme, where coaches fully expect to come and go with a HC change, but they're also compensated accordingly. D2 and D3 assistants are not compensated that way, and when young coaches have come in for modest pay, have done exactly what was asked of them, and done it well, then they are often retained through HC changes.

Not every assistant is ready to be a head coach where they are, but many departments will retain assistants at the AD's discretion, and not that of a new HC. Give the situation a year or two, and it almost always works itself out.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
pridelax13

Post by pridelax13 »

Clarke has kept Sullivan on an Assistant Coach, as well as Kew as a grad assistant and Henrie at the Director of Opertations. Brought on Scott Bramble as a volunteer coach (they coached together for a number of years at WAC) to help instill his culture. No more JV coaches as they have done away with the JV program. Still has opportunity to hire 1 more full time assistant and I've heard they are interviewing people and will have a hire made soon.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

That's great to hear. Very intrigued to see what the freshman class looks like as it was recruited by Whipple. Tampa lost some key contributors last year so they are going to need to fill those gaps.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

pridelax13 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:05 am Clarke has kept Sullivan on an Assistant Coach, as well as Kew as a grad assistant and Henrie at the Director of Opertations. Brought on Scott Bramble as a volunteer coach (they coached together for a number of years at WAC) to help instill his culture. No more JV coaches as they have done away with the JV program. Still has opportunity to hire 1 more full time assistant and I've heard they are interviewing people and will have a hire made soon.
They will benefit having Scott on the sideline; he is an "assistant head coach" type presence. He was a longtime official of high level hoops. He understands how to work the officials without crossing the line and is good with the kids. I knew he left Chestertown for the South Carolina coast; I guess he convinced Jill to head a little further south. Good for them.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Any word on how Tampa looked this past weekend at Mercer? Curious how the freshman class looks.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:02 am Any word on how Tampa looked this past weekend at Mercer? Curious how the freshman class looks.
Was told they lost 15-5 but have had a COVID outbreak on the team. Had players and coaches not travel.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

D2fan wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:48 am
LI_Lax14 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:02 am Any word on how Tampa looked this past weekend at Mercer? Curious how the freshman class looks.
Was told they lost 15-5 but have had a COVID outbreak on the team. Had players and coaches not travel.
New year.... new excuses!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Maybe from the fans. But not from the coaching staff; as a former player of JB’s….I can tell you that isn’t part of his culture. Trust me.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:17 am Maybe from the fans. But not from the coaching staff; as a former player of JB’s….I can tell you that isn’t part of his culture. Trust me.
I hear you...new era!
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Coach Clarke rounding out his staff with former FIT coach Penn

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”