FanLax Feedback

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Semifinal No. 2 -- Maryland v. BC 5/27 -- 5:00 pm

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Sigh.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:42 am Image
I see it now. That IS hilarious. I hear they are serving tater tots in the cafeteria today. I hope the lunch lady lets you and ONW sit together.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Bart wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:26 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:42 am Image
I see it now. That IS hilarious. I hear they are serving tater tots in the cafeteria today. I hope the lunch lady lets you and ONW sit together.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Joe
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:57 am
Bart wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am Why not just say it yourself? That is what children do, use others to speak for them.
i understand your question is rhetorical but im going to answer it anyway. because its fun. because its funny. at least for me.
And me.
aren't there message boards for people who like to post irrelevant memes, GIF"s & 3 stooges videos? That might be a better fit?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

8meterPA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:07 amaren't there message boards for people who like to post irrelevant memes, GIF"s & 3 stooges videos?...
Yes. Literally every message board. Including this one. And Joey is never irrelevant.

As an aside, what would you guess is the median age of the post-ers complaining about gifs?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:32 am
8meterPA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:07 amaren't there message boards for people who like to post irrelevant memes, GIF"s & 3 stooges videos?...
Yes. Literally every message board. Including this one. And Joey is never irrelevant.

As an aside, what would you guess is the median age of the post-ers complaining about gifs?
not sure, but I'm guessing the median age of those who post the gifs is 10?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Bart

Post by Bart »

I’m goint go go out on a limb and guess the median age of those commenting on the gifs is pretty close to the median age of the posters who comment at all here. Plus or minus 10 yrs.

You do you Matt.
Last edited by Bart on Wed May 25, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

8meterPA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:34 am

Sorry to see you go, 8meter. I have enjoyed your commentary over the years and your GIFs, including the one you submitted yesterday afternoon on page 5 of this thread. I would prefer to see you stay here, but alas you have concluded that IrrelevantMemes.com is "a better fit" for GIF posters like yourself. The heart wants what the heart wants. As much as many of us want to beg you to stay, I suppose we should just let you go and hope that you come back to us. "If you love something, set it free..." and all of that stuff.

Sarcasm aside, why don't the anti-ONW folks just be honest about this thinly-veiled and poorly-executed effort to shame him off the site? Attacks on GIFs, "sighs" and multi-paragraph screeds about past slights are clearly having the opposite effect of what you had hoped for. ONW ain't going anywhere. He's a different breed of cat and not susceptible to the same types of social pressures that lawyers, dentists and suburban lax dads fear. That's cool by me, since folks driving cautiously in the right lane rarely change the world. Unfortunately for the cool kids' lunch table, the majority doesn't rule when it comes to freedom of expression in this country. That principle should be celebrated not undermined.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Admin - May I suggest that this diatribe against GIFs and ONW be moved to a separate thread? It has nothing to do with one of the biggest lacrosse games of the year. Thank you for considering that request.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I have no problems with GIFs in general. I think they can be funny and a way to connect with people who enjoy the same areas of pop culture as you. I think it's just the way they are used that tick some people off, usually at a point in the conversation where things are already heated, it just makes things worse. I don't assume age on here, but there's always the chance the gif falls flat because no one realized or appreciated the reference :?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Can Opener wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 am
8meterPA wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:34 am

Sorry to see you go, 8meter. I have enjoyed your commentary over the years and your GIFs, including the one you submitted yesterday afternoon on page 5 of this thread. I would prefer to see you stay here, but alas you have concluded that IrrelevantMemes.com is "a better fit" for GIF posters like yourself. The heart wants what the heart wants. As much as many of us want to beg you to stay, I suppose we should just let you go and hope that you come back to us. "If you love something, set it free..." and all of that stuff.

Sarcasm aside, why don't the anti-ONW folks just be honest about this thinly-veiled and poorly-executed effort to shame him off the site? Attacks on GIFs, "sighs" and multi-paragraph screeds about past slights are clearly having the opposite effect of what you had hoped for. ONW ain't going anywhere. He's a different breed of cat and not susceptible to the same types of social pressures that lawyers, dentists and suburban lax dads fear. That's cool by me, since folks driving cautiously in the right lane rarely change the world. Unfortunately for the cool kids' lunch table, the majority doesn't rule when it comes to freedom of expression in this country. That principle should be celebrated not undermined.
seems as though the posting of the meme went over your head...there is no expression of freedom on this board, as the simple posting of a "don't feed the troll sign" which was appropriate and should be posted every time the Troll rears his head- was deemed inappropriate because admin didn't like that "expression of freedom" or in other words, "I'll only let you post what I decide is appropriate;
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: FanLax Feedback

To offer a little feedback – I would prefer if posts were not moved from one thread to another on the boards. I have witnessed many rabbit trails and digressions under many different topics and they happen organically; then they usually get back on track at some point. I find that less of an upheaval, however mild, than breaking the continuity, or stream of consciousness, if you will. Just a thought.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm To offer a little feedback – I would prefer if posts were not moved from one thread to another on the boards. I have witnessed many rabbit trails and digressions under many different topics and they happen organically; then they usually get back on track at some point. I find that less of an upheaval, however mild, than breaking the stream of consciousness, if you will. Just a thought.
I would much prefer that these digressions that have nothing to do with women's lacrosse be moved to a different thread that similarly has nothing to do with women's lacrosse, or better yet stay off the site entirely. I come to this site to learn more about the sport and the women's lacrosse community; I join in the conversation to offer my knowledge to a community of posters who have the expertise to comment thoughtfully and synergistically with their own knowledge. I do not come to this forum out of boredom in my limited free time. I don't come here to ridicule particular programs/players/figures I don't like, although I will share my opinions when I think they add something to the discussion. I don't want to know or care about the other posters on this forum, beyond appreciating their perspective on the game and how their thoughts can enhance my own understanding—and there are posters here from a variety of backgrounds who have done just that, and that's why I keep coming back. I don't care about anyone's non-women's lacrosse stream of consciousness. I don't want to wade through dozens of comments that are totally off-topic or unproductive because certain posters simply cannot cooperate with the group. I don't want to abandon certain threads entirely because one poster has hijacked the discussion and dumbed down the conversation to the point that nobody gets anything out of it. There are ways to diminish the quality of a forum without going against the community guidelines. So please, Admin, move all these pointless stream-of-consciousness posts somewhere else, so that those of us who actually want to discuss women's lacrosse don't have to deal with them.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm To offer a little feedback... Just a thought.
I would much prefer that these digressions that have nothing to do with women's lacrosse be moved to a different thread... move all these pointless stream-of-consciousness posts somewhere else, so that those of us who actually want to discuss women's lacrosse don't have to deal with them.
And you really can't argue with either point. Just different personal preferences. LaxAgHu, if you see a thread going too far astray, alert Admin and Admin will try to steer the discussion back to the matter at hand and, possibly, move the irrelevant posts. I think (to your point OuttaNW), Admin tries not to move posts. But, for sure, we want the thread topic titles to match the discussions within and, as a general rule, we don't change thread topic titles.
Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm To offer a little feedback – I would prefer if posts were not moved from one thread to another on the boards. I have witnessed many rabbit trails and digressions under many different topics and they happen organically; then they usually get back on track at some point. I find that less of an upheaval, however mild, than breaking the stream of consciousness, if you will. Just a thought.
I would much prefer that these digressions that have nothing to do with women's lacrosse be moved to a different thread that similarly has nothing to do with women's lacrosse, or better yet stay off the site entirely. I come to this site to learn more about the sport and the women's lacrosse community; I join in the conversation to offer my knowledge to a community of posters who have the expertise to comment thoughtfully and synergistically with their own knowledge. I do not come to this forum out of boredom in my limited free time. I don't come here to ridicule particular programs/players/figures I don't like, although I will share my opinions when I think they add something to the discussion. I don't want to know or care about the other posters on this forum, beyond appreciating their perspective on the game and how their thoughts can enhance my own understanding—and there are posters here from a variety of backgrounds who have done just that, and that's why I keep coming back. I don't care about anyone's non-women's lacrosse stream of consciousness. I don't want to wade through dozens of comments that are totally off-topic or unproductive because certain posters simply cannot cooperate with the group. I don't want to abandon certain threads entirely because one poster has hijacked the discussion and dumbed down the conversation to the point that nobody gets anything out of it. There are ways to diminish the quality of a forum without going against the community guidelines. So please, Admin, move all these pointless stream-of-consciousness posts somewhere else, so that those of us who actually want to discuss women's lacrosse don't have to deal with them.
Yep – I hear you. I used to feel the same way. But after a while I realized that people digress from time to time. Here’s a perfect example. You’ll see what I mean about seven posts in.

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=3005

It happens sometimes. We’re human. Doesn’t make anybody smarter or dumber or more serious or less serious. Sometimes we want a little fun with our serious discussion. I think we all enjoy the freedom to blow off steam every once in a while and not take things so seriously. After all, this isn’t a religious order, it’s a place where people can discuss a game. Everybody’s different and everybody’s coming from a different place. I have learned to have no problem with digressions because as I mentioned, we always get back on track, one way or another. It’s really not that big a deal. But that’s just one fellows opinion.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:08 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm To offer a little feedback... Just a thought.
I would much prefer that these digressions that have nothing to do with women's lacrosse be moved to a different thread... move all these pointless stream-of-consciousness posts somewhere else, so that those of us who actually want to discuss women's lacrosse don't have to deal with them.
And you really can't argue with either point. Just different personal preferences. LaxAgHu, if you see a thread going too far astray, alert Admin and Admin will try to steer the discussion back to the matter at hand and, possibly, move the irrelevant posts. I think (to your point OuttaNW), Admin tries not to move posts. But, for sure, we want the thread topic titles to match the discussions within and, as a general rule, we don't change thread topic titles.
I hear you.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:21 pm Yep – I hear you. I used to feel the same way. But after a while I realized that people digress from time to time. Here’s a perfect example...
At least it's about lacrosse. It's when the digression moves from NU to Beto O'Rourke that people start getting particularly itchy...
Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Matnum PI wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:27 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:21 pm Yep – I hear you. I used to feel the same way. But after a while I realized that people digress from time to time. Here’s a perfect example...
At least it's about lacrosse. It's when the digression moves from NU to Beto O'Rourke that people start getting particularly itchy...
lol—true
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:21 pm
Yep – I hear you. I used to feel the same way. But after a while I realized that people digress from time to time. Here’s a perfect example. You’ll see what I mean about seven posts in.

viewtopic.php?f=129&t=3005

It happens sometimes. We’re human. Doesn’t make anybody smarter or dumber or more serious or less serious. Sometimes we want a little fun with our serious discussion. I think we all enjoy the freedom to blow off steam every once in a while and not take things so seriously. After all, this isn’t a religious order, it’s a place where people can discuss a game. Everybody’s different and everybody’s coming from a different place. I have learned to have no problem with digressions because as I mentioned, we always get back on track, one way or another. It’s really not that big a deal. But that’s just one fellows opinion.
The lack of self-awareness never ceases to amaze me.

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”