Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Race in America - Riots Explode in Chicago

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:27 pm So that was Inexcusable stuff, but some good too?

Fair nuff. I'll allow it.

But if that's how we're gonna frame it, can I expect to be able to say the same for some other well hated political figures/topics around here with similar agreeance?

;)
I can only speak for myself........but for me? Of course! For example, I praised Trump NUMEROUS times during his reign, even though I can't stand him as a human being, let alone a POTUS.

I call balls and strikes. Always have. Don't care who writes the policy.

I'm livid, for example, the Biden "forgot" to end Trumps massive corporate tax cut. Party doesn't matter to me. The scoreboard does.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:06 pm Uh oh…Roland Fryer is going to make some very upset:

https://x.com/hodgetwins/status/1758875 ... a82I2GssRg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=sha ... HDhj7Bua1Q

Interestingly, every other study done on the subject comes up with a very different conclusion:

https://www.google.com/search?q=racial+ ... UTF-8#ip=1

Thanks for sharing that. The researcher is an economist, not a sociologist. Why he engaged in a research study not of his normal discipline is an issue that needs to be explored if one is to accept his conclusions. Be interesting to see how all this develops.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:06 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:06 pm Uh oh…Roland Fryer is going to make some very upset:

https://x.com/hodgetwins/status/1758875 ... a82I2GssRg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=sha ... HDhj7Bua1Q

Interestingly, every other study done on the subject comes up with a very different conclusion:

https://www.google.com/search?q=racial+ ... UTF-8#ip=1

Thanks for sharing that. The researcher is an economist, not a sociologist. Why he engaged in a research study not of his normal discipline is an issue that needs to be explored if one is to accept his conclusions. Be interesting to see how all this develops.
His entire career has involved social issues especially around race. Quite respected, though he’s the Professor who was suspended from Harvard over sexual harassment issues with five female grad students in his lab. He’s been allowed back, though not allowed management of grad students.

The argument against this study is that though he found bias and violence by police against people of color, he didn’t find bias in police shootings. The critics say there’s inherent selection bias in the data he chose, which he claims is not so inflicted. I’d need to look really hard at whether he outcome of a police shooting is itself a selection bias, reflecting on who the police are called to confront. Not sure if that’s what the study does but that would be a circular problem.

We’d want to know what percentage of police confrontations with various racial groups resulted in police shootings of people unarmed. Same percentage? But if you have many more police stops of cars driven by blacks relative to opportunity then you are also going to have more opportunities to kill the driver because of mistaken assumption of imminent danger…but not necessarily a higher percentage…so actually bias due to more unnecessary stops, yet the conclusion could appear not…
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Blue check free speech on Twitter. This guy has also been on Joe Rogan's podcast among others.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:30 pm Blue check free speech on Twitter. This guy has also been on Joe Rogan's podcast among others.

Yikes.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:30 pm Blue check free speech on Twitter. This guy has also been on Joe Rogan's podcast among others.

Endwokeness… :lol: :lol: :lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:32 am
His entire career has involved social issues especially around race. Quite respected, though he’s the Professor who was suspended from Harvard over sexual harassment issues with five female grad students in his lab. He’s been allowed back, though not allowed management of grad students.

The argument against this study is that though he found bias and violence by police against people of color, he didn’t find bias in police shootings. The critics say there’s inherent selection bias in the data he chose, which he claims is not so inflicted. I’d need to look really hard at whether he outcome of a police shooting is itself a selection bias, reflecting on who the police are called to confront. Not sure if that’s what the study does but that would be a circular problem.

We’d want to know what percentage of police confrontations with various racial groups resulted in police shootings of people unarmed. Same percentage? But if you have many more police stops of cars driven by blacks relative to opportunity then you are also going to have more opportunities to kill the driver because of mistaken assumption of imminent danger…but not necessarily a higher percentage…so actually bias due to more unnecessary stops, yet the conclusion could appear not…

A Univ of Chicago review determined that Fryer's study did not prove its conclusions:

https://archive.ph/20201108063306/https ... 086/710976

One will have to read this analysis and come to their own conclusions. As for me, I am satisfied that those who are actual experts in the subject know the facts better than he does and are more qualified to make a proper determination on it.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

“Every day in the police department, I kicked those crackers’ ass.”. Catering to his audience, while promoting racism.

~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:44 pm “Every day in the police department, I kicked those crackers’ ass.”. Catering to his audience, while promoting racism.

Oh my :o MD lax fan needs to get off his high horse and explain to us all how this wasn't a racist comment. His cracker ass has got this one. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You mean explain to you not us all.

What is the definition of your racist comment reference?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:37 pm You mean explain to you not us all.

I don’t approve of the term if used generically about white people, but I think he was referring to 3 specific cops with whom he was in competition for the top job. He goes on to make a reference to the way he’d been treated. Racist treatment. Which he’d overcome. Were those 3 deserving of that label as racist? I don’t know. But that’s what the term implies.

It’s interesting how eager some white people are to label African Americans as racist when they push back against racism.

Nah, we live in a color blind world.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Simple, all kinds of people make racist comments about all kinds of people. It isn't a one way street. A good friend of mine from my army days was born and raised on Guam. One night while at a bar on post Albert walked past a dude and angry looks and nasty comments followed and fists and feet started flying. When the dust had settled we asked Albert what the hell happened. The dude he walked past happened to be from Samoa. Turns out Samoan and Guamanian cultures have hated one another for probably centuries. When we asked Albert why his answer was strait forward and confusing. His answer was because that's the way it has always been and will never change. Isn't that the genesis of all racism? People hate other people and for the most part they don't even know why. That's the way it's always been is the only explanation people have. Think about that for awhile. You folks have a bug up your ass trying to understand something that has no rational explanation.
Why would a white person hate a black person?
Why would a black person hate a white person??
And so on and so on and so on.
My answer is you live what you learn.
Folks from Guam and Samoa dislike one another because culturally it is ingrained in them from the day they are born.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:52 pm

Simple, all kinds of people make racist comments about all kinds of people. It isn't a one way street. A good friend of mine from my army days was born and raised on Guam. One night while at a bar on post Albert walked past a dude and angry looks and nasty comments followed and fists and feet started flying. When the dust had settled we asked Albert what the hell happened. The dude he walked past happened to be from Samoa. Turns out Samoan and Guamanian cultures have hated one another for probably centuries. When we asked Albert why his answer was strait forward and confusing. His answer was because that's the way it has always been and will never change. Isn't that the genesis of all racism? People hate other people and for the most part they don't even know why. That's the way it's always been is the only explanation people have. Think about that for awhile. You folks have a bug up your ass trying to understand something that has no rational explanation.
There’s a whole lot of evolutionary advantage in humans capacity to identify risk ‘instinctively’ by seeing cues outside of experienced patterns that are recognized as ‘safe’. Lots of psychological research on this topic. So, indeed it has a rational, scientific explanation.

However, with more exposure to such differences in ways that create a sense of safety rather than danger of the unknown, such risk responses largely disappear altogether.

Which is why when a child is told that certain patterns, including racial characteristics, are associated with danger or inferiority, that training becomes the easiest response. Pattern recognition is easier.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:04 pm

There’s a whole lot of evolutionary advantage in humans capacity to identify risk ‘instinctively’ by seeing cues outside of experienced patterns that are recognized as ‘safe’. Lots of psychological research on this topic. So, indeed it has a rational, scientific explanation.

However, with more exposure to such differences in ways that create a sense of safety rather than danger of the unknown, such risk responses largely disappear altogether.

Which is why when a child is told that certain patterns, including racial characteristics, are associated with danger or inferiority, that training becomes the easiest response. Pattern recognition is easier.
Yep.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:35 pm Joe is bringing slavery back. https://x.com/usminitru/status/17585655 ... a82I2GssRg
When did it ever go away?

Want to effectively control undocumented migration? Enforce the I-9. Oh, that's right, ignoring that little piece of legislation is the key to our modern slavery, er, unskilled labor force. That and the carceral forced labor gambit, though I see the chiId labor angle is picking up steam.

I wonder what the bloated orange tick could do were he to land in the slammer? Caster of the condiments? Donald Pollock artwork?

So, to all Republicans and Magats who bay at the migration moon, I say, put up or shut up. Put the hammer down on the meatpackers, stoop labor crops, crab-picking, "family" farms (CA agriculture is insane), etc. or STFU.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Folks from Guam and Samoa dislike one another because culturally it is ingrained in them from the day they are born.

You ducked entirely.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:28 pm

You ducked entirely.
Care to explain? Pretty vague statement on your end.
Typical Lax Dad

Return to “POLITICS”