Maryland 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Maryland 2021

Post by Cooter »

It's time to turn the page to the 2021 season.
News:
Nick Grill announced he would return as a 5th year senior. Still, no definitive word on Jared Bernhardt, who is thinking of pursuing football for his 5th year.

The Terps have added 2 fifth year senior transfers: Griffin Brown M (Colgate) and Eric Holden A (Hobart), who both should compete strongly for playing time.

The Terps also added transfer defenseman, B.J. Burlace from Yale. Burlace will have 4 years of eligibility.

Further the Terps added incoming freshman attackman, Daniel Kelly from Calvert Hall this Spring.

Transfers leaving the Terps were: Dylan Palonetti (to Stony Brook) and Jack DeSantis (to Ohio State)

Notes:
The Terps return 6 players who have started on the offense: Wisnaukas (A 2019 AA), A. DeMaio (M, 2019 AA), Fairman (M, 2019 AA), Danny Maltz(A), Kyle Long (M), and Jack Brennan (M).
They return both regular LSMs: John Geppert and Justin Sherrer, while M.Ubriaco should return from injury for next Spring
All four regular ssdms return: Roman Puglise, Jake Higgins, Alex Smith, Josh Coffman
Top 3 FO men: Shockey, Calderone, and Trucksess return
Close Defense of Grill, Makar, and Rahill return
Goalies: McNaney, Brandau, and Morris return
- along with a number of talent players in this past year's freshmen class.

Next year's incoming freshmen:
#4 Eric Malever 2020 A Woodward Academy
#11 Daniel Kelly 2020 A Calvert Hall College High School
#18 Jack Koras 2020 M Loyola Blakefield
#24 Jack Schirtzer 2020 D Mount Sinai High School
#44 Gabe Goforth 2020 M Bishop Shanahan High School
#46 Alex Wicks 2020 M St Marys High School
#75 Ajax Zappitello 2020 D Sunset High School
#81 Michael O'Connell 2020 M Blair Academy
-- Grant Hansen 2020 M The Hun School of Princeton
-- Jackson Marshall 2020 G Calvert Hall College High School
-- Nicholas Redd 2020 D Wilmington Friends School
-- Jack McDonald 2020 LSM South Side High School

    
Live Free or Die!
ohmilax34

Re: Maryland 2021

Post by ohmilax34 »

If Bernhardt doesn't return, who fills that role the best? Brown? Maybe you don't need a typical x attackman like Bernhardt, since Wisnauskas has expanded his game, but Maltz doesn't dodge much does he? It seems like whoever else plays will need to be a dodging threat. Is Maltz maybe looking at a diminished role?

Malever is interesting. He looks athletic and fearless in his highlight video.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:46 pm If Bernhardt doesn't return, who fills that role the best? Brown? Maybe you don't need a typical x attackman like Bernhardt, since Wisnauskas has expanded his game, but Maltz doesn't dodge much does he? It seems like whoever else plays will need to be a dodging threat. Is Maltz maybe looking at a diminished role?

Wisnauskas will be the QB of the offense. He was already more of a typical X attackman than Jared anyway; who was a straight line dodger from behind or from the wing more than a facilitator. I think it’s likely that Holden will fill Bernhardt’s role as the main dodger and scorer of the line, and Maltz can fall into his familiar spot of being a crease man and inside finisher.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

ohmilax34 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:46 pm If Bernhardt doesn't return, who fills that role the best? Brown? Maybe you don't need a typical x attackman like Bernhardt, since Wisnauskas has expanded his game, but Maltz doesn't dodge much does he? It seems like whoever else plays will need to be a dodging threat. Is Maltz maybe looking at a diminished role?

I tend to favor Kyle Long taking over the x attackmen. Long is more like a Grant Ament, than an athletic Bernhardt. Long has a quick first step, and is more of a pass first attackman than Bernhardt. Long had 88 assists his senior year in high school and 109 his junior year in high school - playing behind the goal is his natural spot. For the Terps, he has played midfield his first 2 seasons, but has done a lot of inverting - with good success.
Danny Maltz's ability to cut to the goal would make him a good pairing with Long. Maltz did a nice job when he rotated behind the goal this Spring, and I can recall him beating has man from there at least once on the dodge. Maltz's high school highlights tend to show him playing the x attackmen role and dodging from behind. I don't really see Maltz having a diminished role at the moment.
Live Free or Die!
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

I saw that Bernhardt has enrolled at Ferris St to play football
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

As discussed on the 2020 thread, there are two chances for JB to return to UMD lacrosse in 2021. First, if Ferris State doesn’t play football in Fall 2020 or plays a reduced schedule and JB opts out of enrolling. Second JB pays football and petitions the NCAA to allow the fifth year for lacrosse at UMD. The second option was briefly mentioned in Tillman’s radio interview on the thread.
I’m not sure of any odds on anything related to college sports in the Fall at this point. I don’t think Tillman is counting on JB but would surely welcome him back. As Cooter laid out, UMD has 12 options on offense for 2021 which will require plenty of decisions on playing time for returning players, transfers and talented freshmen.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I watched the NCAA Final where the Terps beat Ohio State. I couldn't help but notice the utter domination on Jon Garino who won the MVP. All he did was whip TD Ireland, Trevor Baptiste and Jake Withers who were basically the top three face off men in the tournament, with two simply considered all timers. As a Junior he played in two games, then garnered more playing time as a Senior but still was not the starter. Apparently there were some off field issues that are none of my business.

What I found most amazing was that after winning the MVP of the Championship game Tillman was asked about the faceoffs. He literally said we had great wing play named two of the wings and never mentioned Jon Garino, who just went 10 of 14 with 8 ground balls. If you have 8 ground balls on 10 wins the wing play wasn't that important. Whatever happened between the two was not over in Tillman's mind, but I guess it was over enough to play him. I lost a lot of respect for him after watching that, pretty pathetic.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm I watched the NCAA Final where the Terps beat Ohio State. I couldn't help but notice the utter domination on Jon Garino who won the MVP. All he did was whip TD Ireland, Trevor Baptiste and Jake Withers who were basically the top three face off men in the tournament, with two simply considered all timers. As a Junior he played in two games, then garnered more playing time as a Senior but still was not the starter. Apparently there were some off field issues that are none of my business.

What I found most amazing was that after winning the MVP of the Championship game Tillman was asked about the faceoffs. He literally said we had great wing play named two of the wings and never mentioned Jon Garino, who just went 10 of 14 with 8 ground balls. If you have 8 ground balls on 10 wins the wing play wasn't that important. Whatever happened between the two was not over in Tillman's mind, but I guess it was over enough to play him. I lost a lot of respect for him after watching that, pretty pathetic.
Believe Hennigsen took most of the faceoffs vs Baptiste but point taken. That was petty if not just a simple mistake. Garino had some run in NCAA , dont think Ierlan has ever been dominated that before or after.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I'm guessing you all don't watch a lot of Tillman's or his players' interviews. Their responses are always about the team. When Henningsen did well at the X, Tillman would compliment the players who helped him during practice or on the sidelines. Henningsen would do the same thing. You seldom hear any Terps taking credit for individual success. That's why they all talk about the scout team so much.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

With all due respect, hearing "I and me" is quite rare in any sport.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 pm I'm guessing you all don't watch a lot of Tillman's or his players' interviews. Their responses are always about the team. When Henningsen did well at the X, Tillman would compliment the players who helped him during practice or on the sidelines. Henningsen would do the same thing. You seldom hear any Terps taking credit for individual success. That's why they all talk about the scout team so much.
Sorry, I have seen lots of Tillman interviews, he clearly had beef with Garino, not enough beef to cut him or sit him, but enough to not mention his name. He was specifically asked about the faceoffs in the National Championship where his player was just named MVP of the game and he could not even utter the kids name, while specifically naming at least two wings, maybe three I can't remember for sure. It was beyond awkward, really disappointing, he used that kid when necessary and then refused to talk about it
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:18 pm
Wheels wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 pm I'm guessing you all don't watch a lot of Tillman's or his players' interviews. Their responses are always about the team. When Henningsen did well at the X, Tillman would compliment the players who helped him during practice or on the sidelines. Henningsen would do the same thing. You seldom hear any Terps taking credit for individual success. That's why they all talk about the scout team so much.
Sorry, I have seen lots of Tillman interviews, he clearly had beef with Garino, not enough beef to cut him or sit him, but enough to not mention his name. He was specifically asked about the faceoffs in the National Championship where his player was just named MVP of the game and he could not even utter the kids name, while specifically naming at least two wings, maybe three I can't remember for sure. It was beyond awkward, really disappointing, he used that kid when necessary and then refused to talk about it
And yet he's given a lot of interviews after 2017 where he talks a ton about Garino.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:29 pm
And yet he's given a lot of interviews after 2017 where he talks a ton about Garino.

I’d like to see one, please share.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 pm

How about you share all your videos confirming this beef, Zapruder. Where's the Beef!!!

As far as actual Maryland Lacrosse 2021 talk goes, it's all about the defense which hasn't really been championship caliber since Tim Muller graduated. Offense should be good as long as the chemistry can match the talent, which is a lot harder to achieve than it sounds.

Also, here's one scary but realistic scenario: what if Jared comes back to play lacrosse next spring.....at UNC, UVA, Denver, Penn State or any other contender? Seems like he could instantly upgrade any of them into the 2nd superteam of 2021.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I’m assuming you are a relative of Jon Garino?
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 am I’m assuming you are a relative of Jon Garino?
Never met him
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

keno in reno wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:45 am

How about you share all your videos confirming this beef, Zapruder. Where's the Beef!!!

As far as actual Maryland Lacrosse 2021 talk goes, it's all about the defense which hasn't really been championship caliber since Tim Muller graduated. Offense should be good as long as the chemistry can match the talent, which is a lot harder to achieve than it sounds.

Also, here's one scary but realistic scenario: what if Jared comes back to play lacrosse next spring.....at UNC, UVA, Denver, Penn State or any other contender? Seems like he could instantly upgrade any of them into the 2nd superteam of 2021.
If Jared plays lacrosse I don’t see why he would go somewhere else.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm I watched the NCAA Final where the Terps beat Ohio State. I couldn't help but notice the utter domination on Jon Garino who won the MVP. All he did was whip TD Ireland, Trevor Baptiste and Jake Withers who were basically the top three face off men in the tournament, with two simply considered all timers. As a Junior he played in two games, then garnered more playing time as a Senior but still was not the starter. Apparently there were some off field issues that are none of my business.

Jon Garino, jr. was at the UMD for 5 years.

Tillman probably felt the praise for Garino was obvious, and wanted to mention others who contributed.
Live Free or Die!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:45 am

Of all the possible scenarios, Jared playing somewhere else is by far the least likely. It’s way more unlikely than him coming back and playing at Maryland is.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

I'd love to see Bernhardt come back because his athleticism was shocking at times. That first step is so fast.

But even with him not coming back, this team is absolutely loaded. The weakest point for the Terps this year (and honestly since the 2017 championship year) was on the defensive side, but the defense should be vastly improved - Makar, Grill, and then you have Burlace and Shirtzer coming in too. Goalie is still sort of a question mark, but otherwise...it's loaded from top to bottom. More depth at offensive midfield than I can recall.
jrn19 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:54 am
Of all the possible scenarios, Jared playing somewhere else is by far the least likely. It’s way more unlikely than him coming back and playing at Maryland is.
Pretty sure his brothers would kick the crap out of him if he played somewhere else. Terp red runs through those veins....

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”