WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Might as well start.

First question: who’s returning?
steel_hop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by steel_hop »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:24 am Might as well start.

Shouldn't the first question be whose the coach?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

steel_hop wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:57 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:24 am Might as well start.

Shouldn't the first question be whose the coach?
Rick Sowell, he is great at rebuilding programs and recruiting Canadians.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I’ll contribute to your page count.

This thread is stupid.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

sorry, I think it's important to recognize the work the 2020 guys put in before we move forward.
2020 Awards
story-most disappointing season in a generation with apologies to 2010, 2013, 2006 among others that should bring total change.
Player of the year Kyle Prouty. Warrior. We don't have all american fogos, but aside from catcher in baseball it's hard to think of a position that takes as much of a beating. 2-4 looks a lot different than 1-5 because of him.
Rookie of the year-Owen Murphy
Most improved-Garret Degnon.
Offensive player of the year. This is where it gets ugly. I'd go with Murphy. Sorry williams was a senior and didn't show up enough. I know msm. there are some stats, but he was a major disappointment health or not.
Defensive player of the year. Jaronski, and that's pushing it.
Season highlight-jaronskis hit against towson.
best lp commenter-yeah right
underrated-hawley picked up 11 gbs
overrated-where to begin

2021 storylines
who's the coach
if we get a new coach, with a new system which veterans won't fit
what happens to the vaunted recruiting class and which recruits look at a new coach/returning srs and head for other pastures
what seniors come back
how does the nc$$ figure out scholarship allocations with exemptions
what transfers come in
what kids transfer out
what veterans lose their jobs-I'd keep epstein, degnon, murphy angelus, jaronski, prouty, narewski and tear the rest down to the nails.
will the ad finally hire gary lambrecht for hopkinssports.com to produce content on the department like d1 schools have done w/ex msm?
aside from epstein who are the captains
just a start.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:32 am
story-most disappointing season in a generation with apologies to 2010, 2013, 2006 among others that should bring total change.
Why would you say 2006 was a disappointing year beyond it was likely the year you graduated? The team was coming off a championship. They lost a ton of guys and most of the contributors on that team were on the young side. Rabil, Evans Peyser, etc were only sophmore. Schwartzman was junior.

There were other years that were certainly more disappointing. I think 2008, 2004, and 2003 were more disappointing than 2006. The 2003 and 2004 teams were probably more talented than the 2005 team even though the 2005 team went undefeated and those teams didn't. The 2003 team's numbers were absurd on both sides of the ball.

Given the talent and players coming back in 2008, the results were really disappointing. They scrubbed around during the regular season. There is no way that team should have lost 5 straight games even if three of those were OT losses. While they made the championship game, if Rabil hadn't put the team on his back they would have lost by 10 in the championship game
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:32 am sorry, I think it's important to recognize the work the 2020 guys put in before we move forward.
2020 Awards
Player of the year Kyle Prouty. Warrior. We don't have all american fogos, but aside from catcher in baseball it's hard to think of a position that takes as much of a beating. 2-4 looks a lot different than 1-5 because of him.
Rookie of the year-Owen Murphy
Most improved-Garret Degnon.
Offensive player of the year. This is where it gets ugly. I'd go with Murphy. Sorry williams was a senior and didn't show up enough. I know msm. there are some stats, but he was a major disappointment health or not.
Defensive player of the year. Jaronski, and that's pushing it.
Season highlight-jaronskis hit against towson.
best lp commenter-yeah right
underrated-hawley picked up 11 gbs
overrated-where to begin

Who gets "Coach of the Year" for JHU?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Navy 11 Hopkins 7. Darby and Williams, who are both returning, had stellar games for the Jays. Announced crowd was 31.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:22 pm Navy 11 Hopkins 7. Darby and Williams, who are both returning, had stellar games for the Jays. Announced crowd was 31.
Anyone get video?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Film at 11:00pm.
viper

Post by viper »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:34 pm Film at 11:00pm.
Film of a Coach's hand over the lens to prevent advanced scouting for next weeks games......
CU77

Post by CU77 »

My guess is Petro gets a one-year extension. Too much worldwide turmoil to deal with hiring a new coach now.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

Hopkins is done. It's over.

Nerd school in the legit ghetto. Yeah, everybody is passing.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:16 am My guess is Petro gets a one-year extension. Too much worldwide turmoil to deal with hiring a new coach now.
Maybe, but the school would be rather dumb to at least not be putting some feelers out.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Trivia question: who won the last game of 2020?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:22 pm Navy 11 Hopkins 7. Darby and Williams, who are both returning, had stellar games for the Jays. Announced crowd was 31.
???????? I guess I don't even get the joke
CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:16 am My guess is Petro gets a one-year extension. Too much worldwide turmoil to deal with hiring a new coach now.
While I think if Hopkins had struggled to a truly epic season in terms of L's e.g. 4-9 than DP and staff would be gone for sure - I am not sure COVID 19 saves him. I still believe it all comes down to what the major supporters of the lacrosse program think - If folks like Messrs Cordish, Cowan, Townsend are in his camp they could get Baker to move in the direction of letting him have 2021 and see if the incoming talent can get the ship sailing in the right direction. If they think the ship has hit the rocks and needs a new captain - then that's what will happen.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

PrimeTime21 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:32 am Hopkins is done. It's over.

You seem to post in the NE West and Connecticut forums a lot. Surely you know that Hopkins has not one, not two, but three top 100 commits from Salisbury coming next year, then three more from the area the following year in Demopoulous (Darien), Litchfield (Belmont Hill), and Constantinides (New Fairfield). They'll join former top 100 recruits Owen Murphy (AOF), Evan Zinn (Staples) and Alex Gainey (St. Sebs) on the current roster, as well as Eddy Glassmeyer (Brunswick), Matt Narewski (New Hampton), and Jack Lyne (Middlesex).

Again, this is just from the northeast area, and just in the last couple of years. In other words, you're a moron.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:22 am
???????? I guess I don't even get the joke
While I think if Hopkins had struggled to a truly epic season in terms of L's e.g. 4-9 than DP and staff would be gone for sure - I am not sure COVID 19 saves him. I still believe it all comes down to what the major supporters of the lacrosse program think - If folks like Messrs Cordish, Cowan, Townsend are in his camp they could get Baker to move in the direction of letting him have 2021 and see if the incoming talent can get the ship sailing in the right direction. If they think the ship has hit the rocks and needs a new captain - then that's what will happen.
someone with free time will do a breakdown of the last 10 years, titles, ffs, elite 8s and where Hopkins ranks nationally there. Hopkins records vs va, cuse, md, loyola, unc, princeton, duke. Only place this program is winning-allegedly- is on the recruiting trail and that's in the mind of a 28 year old guy evaluating 15-18 year olds.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:11 am

You seem to post in the NE West and Connecticut forums a lot. Surely you know that Hopkins has not one, not two, but three top 100 commits from Salisbury coming next year, then three more from the area the following year in Demopoulous (Darien), Litchfield (Belmont Hill), and Constantinides (New Fairfield). They'll join former top 100 recruits Owen Murphy (AOF), Evan Zinn (Staples) and Alex Gainey (St. Sebs) on the current roster, as well as Eddy Glassmeyer (Brunswick), Matt Narewski (New Hampton), and Jack Lyne (Middlesex).

Again, this is just from the northeast area, and just in the last couple of years. In other words, you're a moron.
We on the West-1 and CT boards are well aware of that indeed reading his posts. It says here that Demopoulous brings stability to the Jays goal for the first time in 10 years, he is a stud.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:20 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:11 am

We on the West-1 and CT boards are well aware of that indeed reading his posts. It says here that Demopoulous brings stability to the Jays goal for the first time in 10 years, he is a stud.
Could have some Phil Goss in him.

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”