Baltimore: A Shining Star

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: Baltimore: A Shining Star

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:52 pm More guns fished out of the harbor by local residents. Three in the past month. This time in Fells.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/balti ... f750292c4e
Baltimore needs to catch up. There's been like 4 guns brought to elementary schools alone near where that first grade teacher got shot in coastal Virginia a few weeks ago. You gotta pump those numbers up!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Baltimore just crushing it in the school systems: https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/23- ... -new-study

23 Baltimore schools with 0 students proficient in math yet Md. ranks top 2 in new study
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:21 am Baltimore just crushing it in the school systems: https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/23- ... -new-study

23 Baltimore schools with 0 students proficient in math yet Md. ranks top 2 in new study
We need to pray for them.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:21 am Baltimore just crushing it in the school systems: https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/23- ... -new-study

And no one has offered them help, or solutions.

We don't fix problems anymore.

Trump? To his great credit? Sent if Feds to help Chicago and other cities with gun problems, and I wish that program was expanded and still happening. Federal laws are what is filling the streets with guns.....the Feds should be tasked with the consequences of these laws.

Biden ended the program, and offered nothing it its place.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:07 am

No, they need more money. They need 10s if not 100s of millions of taxpayer dollars to level out any discrepancies amongst the common folk. The FLP mainly white liberals who survived the 60s still think they have the answers. They even coined a phrase about their desire to help "under served" communities. Their methodology for helping " underserved communities" involves a massive infusion of taxpayer money to assuage their FLP white liberal guilt. It won't help anybody or do jack chit at the end of the day. If white FLP liberals feel better about themselves ( like that is even possible) then all is copastetic with the world. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:23 pm

No, they need more money. They need 10s if not 100s of millions of taxpayer dollars to level out any discrepancies amongst the common folk. The FLP mainly white liberals who survived the 60s still think they have the answers. They even coined a phrase about their desire to help "under served" communities. Their methodology for helping " underserved communities" involves a massive infusion of taxpayer money to assuage their FLP white liberal guilt. It won't help anybody or do jack chit at the end of the day. If white FLP liberals feel better about themselves ( like that is even possible) then all is copastetic with the world. :D
We need to pray that more money becomes available.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:09 pm

Trump? To his great credit? Sent if Feds to help Chicago and other cities with gun problems, and I wish that program was expanded and still happening. Federal laws are what is filling the streets with guns.....the Feds should be tasked with the consequences of these laws.

Hogan turned the screws on them to clean up their own house, even created an IG for Edu. Of course the partisan btchen will commence, and it started the day he took office.

Hogan says much of what he wanted to get done concerning education over his two terms was blocked by the legislature. But he was able to pass one important measure that will remain, even after he leaves office next week. In 2020, he established the Office of the Inspector General for Education.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:46 pm

Hogan turned the screws on them to clean up their own house, even created an IG for Edu. Of course the partisan btchen will commence, and it started the day he took office.

Hogan says much of what he wanted to get done concerning education over his two terms was blocked by the legislature. But he was able to pass one important measure that will remain, even after he leaves office next week. In 2020, he established the Office of the Inspector General for Education.
Another reminder of how I believe partisanship is ruining our country, and is the dumbest excuse for not fixing things ever invented by man.

I hate it.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:39 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:23 pm

We need to pray that more money becomes available.
I don't know where you live but here in NYS Chuck Schumer and company are always rolling into town with the gubmint check book. The are not shy about WHO they hand out money to. Underserved, over served, served just enough or not served at all. The once a month dog and pony show is sorta similar to ground hogs day. Today they showed up with gubmint money so Strong Memorial Hospital ( URMC) can build a state of the art new 10 story addition for a new ED building. A very good project that is well needed an appreciated in the community. Why won't the powers that be in charge of URMC just use the money stashed away in their endowment fund? No need for that when you can build it using other peoples money... :D
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not Baltimore but I take this thread as started to be an id content of coastal metro areas in disguise so I’m that light, Hell Yeah! Win ine for responsible realistic thoughtful people!

Atlanta Mayor Dickens and ACP relieved Buckhead City bill defeated

By Maria Saporta

A relieved Mayor Andre Dickens met with the highly influential Atlanta Committee for Progress Friday morning following the Thursday vote in the Georgia Senate that defeated efforts for Buckhead to split off from the City of Atlanta.

“Today was definitely a victory lap around squashing the de-annexation effort,” Dickens said in a brief interview after the quarterly ACP meeting held at the offices of King & Spalding. “We were all congratulatory about hey, we got it squashed.”

Dickens called it a “team effort” to defeat the creation of a City of Buckhead.

“A lot of these folks from ACP and Metro Atlanta Chamber went out of their way to make phone calls, sent emails and physically went to the state capitol to address their concerns with the de-annexation movement,” Dickens said.

ACP took out full-page newspaper ads earlier this year calling for a united Atlanta and praising the work Dickens had done to improve public safety and run the city government.

The Atlanta Committee for Progress meets on a quarterly basis — usually at the offices of King & Spalding. (Photo by Maria Saporta.)
Dickens thanked business and civic leaders for their efforts to defeat the de-annexation efforts.

“They wanted to make it clear to these state leaders that this could have implications for commerce, economics, workforce development, and taxation,” the mayor added. “These businesses are here for a reason. If this breakup of the city happens, it will end up costing more in bonds and taxes. Even the ones that have Buckhead addresses, like the largest landowner in Atlanta is Cousins. They have no desire to have two cities.”

Colin Connolly, CEO of Cousins Properties, currently chairs ACP.

In a separate interview, Connolly said there was great attendance at ACP’s private gathering on Friday, describing it as a “terrific meeting” with the mayor.

“The members of ACP have a lot of trust and confidence in our mayor based on the great work that he and his team have taken over the course of his first year in office,” said Connolly, explaining why the behind-the-scenes group took a public posture the ad. “The members of ACP felt it was important to express our support for the mayor and the work he’s done. We believe there’s an exciting future in front for the city with his leadership.”

In fact, at the December 2021 ACP meeting — after the mayor had been elected but not yet taken office, Dickens met with the group when they discussed opening up a second Atlanta police precinct in Buckhead.

“We were advancing an effort that the Buckhead CID [community improvement district] had initiated,” said Connolly, who helped provide a space in a Cousins’ building for the precinct. “It was in that meeting where the concept was discussed and where interests were aligned, and we were able to have immediate and visible action. Mayor Dickens moved it forward.”

In the interview, Dickens also spoke about how his growing relationship with Gov. Brian Kemp played a part in defeating the Buckhead City legislation.

“Even at today’s ACP meeting, we talked about how important that relationship is,” Dickens said. “The governor definitely weighed in on this, raising concerns about the de-annexation movement and how it would destabilize the whole State of Georgia. And he outlined through his attorney a dozen questions that were unable to be answered by the proponents of Buckhead City.”

Dickens also singled out the 10 Republicans who joined the Democratic senators to defeat the legislation. “Ten Republicans came and stood firmly against it,” Dickens said. “It failed 23 to 33. So, that’s a sound result.”

Picture of the Georgia Senate vote that defeated efforts to create a City of Buckhead. (Special: City of Atlanta.)
Going forward, Connolly said the “business community remains focused on a united Atlanta.

“There have been real issues and concerns raised, but I do believe that we’re best prepared to tackle those challenges as a unified city,” Connolly said. The mayor, since he’s taken office, has taken some very decisive steps to address public safety and at the same time focused on the underlying causes of crime. He’s also made great strides in improving the public services to residents across the entire city. His leadership has made a tangible difference in the city. Residents have taken note, and certainly there’s enthusiasm and confidence returning to the city as a whole.”

Connolly also said that ACP is only one of several organizations in the city engaged in the community.

“Atlanta is special in that the business and the civic community are so closely connected with the political leadership,” Connolly said. “It’s been very encouraging to see that those organizations work together in a collaborative way to express their voice that a united Atlanta is a stronger Atlanta.”
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Mentioned it to a guy who’s a childless renter in Buckhead who grew up with money in the country up north (Blue Ridge, banker who nominally works for me but on a success basis) he and these are the crazy dumbass things he says to me:

-I am disappointed; rape victims (Buckhead) aren’t usually permitted a say in the raping

-No I thought we discussed it standing outside

-I wouldn’t bring up politics unless I knew someone’s opinions definitively

-There is only one reason the rest of the city of Atlanta wants to keep raping Buckhead; Buckhead is ~20% of the population and 40%+ of the tax base.

-I do use the word provocatively, but not allowing self determination is indefensible

Me: so I coach youth, do MS day, volunteer at Candler Park and for the org multiple times a year, have children in public school and have owned a home about a decade here?

-Take it in a metaphorical sense. Why not allow self determination?

My response:

I’d use another term when using it around people who’ve contributed far beyond what they’ve ever taken out and are deeply invested but everyone has an agenda.

Self determination is what war torn African tribes use when they annex into smaller tribal communities for what it’s worth.
It’s risk transference and taking the upside.
Should’ve done it 30yrs ago before all the growth. Now that all the benefit of rising RE values have been had through no accomplishment to walk and cash out is not self determination.
https://pesd.princeton.edu/node/511
The mere fact that a democratic, non-discriminatory voting system results in the domination of political life by an ethnic majority in a particular state does not necessarily mean that the state is unrepresentative within the terms of the Declaration on Friendly Relations, although it may violate subsequent norms of minority rights that have been proclaimed, beginning in the 1990s.[
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_in_the_Game_(book)

But in these conversations I’m the jerk…
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

More money should solve it.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:54 am

Voting Republican should solve it. Isn't that the "solution" that you and YA are offering? The magic R will fix it?

I'm not seeing any offered solutions from either of you.

How did they take down organized crime in NYC? Was it the locals? Or Staties? F no. It was the relatively bottomless budget of the FBI that took them down.

Any better ideas, I'm all ears.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I’m not even suggesting going as far as voting republican. That will never happen in the city. I’m suggesting voting for the handful of new democrats who want accountability.

Voting for the dug-in party-line Democrats in Baltimore for the past 60 years hasn’t worked. They are the party of bigger, unlimited gov’t. Lots of programs. But zero accountability.

There was some new blood in the democrat party this year with a new perspective calling for checks and balances and oversight of education, budgets etc. But they don’t have the support of the Baltimore political shot callers. Because all that oversight would mess up their free lunch.

So the problem persists.

“Doctor, heal thyself.”
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Where's the Greater Baltimore Committee on all this? Not too many years ago, they had a great deal of influence and power; is that no longer true?
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:23 pm I’m not even suggesting going as far as voting republican. That will never happen in the city. I’m suggesting voting for the handful of new democrats who want accountability.

Voting for the dug-in party-line Democrats in Baltimore for the past 60 years hasn’t worked. They are the party of bigger, unlimited gov’t. Lots of programs. But zero accountability.

There was some new blood in the democrat party this year with a new perspective calling for checks and balances and oversight of education, budgets etc. But they don’t have the support of the Baltimore political shot callers. Because all that oversight would mess up their free lunch.

So the problem persists.
Spending per capita:

Baltimore: $2,649

Houston: $2,476

Boston: $4,180

Detroit: $3,775

NYC: $8,690

Seems to me that Baltimore has a REALLY reasonable budget. But yes, if I could wave a magic wand? I'd liquidate the Dem power structure. We agree. But since as you say, this won't happen....how do you help the residents that are dealing with corrupt and inept leaders?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:54 am

I read the op ed by Jeb Bush in our morning paper. If your a parent of a student in the Baltimore public schools you have a right to be livid. The problem is when trying to find a solution all the residents of Baltimore get are excuses and finger pointing. Whoever is in charge of the curriculum in Baltimore public schools should be fired immediately. There has to be an individual out there in the Baltimore area that has a different approach. Failure should not be an option. It appears like in the Baltimore public schools failure is business as usual.
Reading, writing and arithmetic has been a cornerstone of educating our children since forever.

Return to “POLITICS”