Religion in America

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Religion in America

Post by jhu72 »

Decided to start a separate thread. There is enough interest among the board in the subject of the changes religion is going through to warrant a separate thread.

It's official the Methodist Church will split over the LGBQT issue
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Re: Religion in America

Post by youthathletics »

Episcopalians went through something similar about the same things about 8-10 years ago. A local church lost a ton of parish members during a change.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Both the Baptists and Methodists split in two over the issue of slavery back in the 1840's, If I recall correctly.

Now we have Southern Methodists and Southern Baptists. These brands are growing, while the Anti-Slavery American Baptist and United Methodist churches, not so much.....
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 pm Episcopalians went through something similar about the same things about 8-10 years ago. A local church lost a ton of parish members during a change.
Yup, I grew up Episcopalian, went to a fancy pants Episcopal boarding school a few decades ago that was very inclusive. It was nice to be a part of a community that was welcoming to so many (women and gays alike, radical at the time). Seemed a little more Christ-like in its approach. This approach overall apparently rankled a minority of the church. Most of us just want a good community church where religion is more of a personal matter without heavy dogma while providing charity outreach and service to those less fortunate than us alongside a good environment for bringing up our kids.

I moved to a neighborhood about 7 years ago with an Episcopal church within walking distance, but after attending a service found out they had broken off. I was surprised they were still using the "Episcopal" label when most of the breakaway churches had moved to some sort of Anglican label. Unsurprising the average age of the membership seemed 60+ and they were super excited to see a younger family in for a service.

Churches of every denomination are losing members, but some are finding ways to reach out to today's youth and younger parents by simply emphasizing Jesus' teachings vs. "Bible dogma". Unfortunately the main thriving churches around here in coastal VA seem to be these big mega-churches pushing things like Prosperity Theology with thousands of members. But there are still some old churches (some of the first in the country from the early 1600s) that are doing ok while being more progressive than those mega churches.

Turns out simple things like loving thy neighbor as thyself, helping the poor, healing the sick and more actually resonate with the culture of today.
Bart

Post by Bart »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 am Most of us just want a good community church where religion is more of a personal matter without heavy dogma while providing charity outreach and service to those less fortunate than us alongside a good environment for bringing up our kids.

Turns out simple things like loving thy neighbor as thyself, helping the poor, healing the sick and more actually resonate with the culture of today.
Man, you hit it on the head for me with these statements. If only.........
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:20 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:17 pm Episcopalians went through something similar about the same things about 8-10 years ago. A local church lost a ton of parish members during a change.
Yup, I grew up Episcopalian, went to a fancy pants Episcopal boarding school a few decades ago that was very inclusive. It was nice to be a part of a community that was welcoming to so many (women and gays alike, radical at the time). Seemed a little more Christ-like in its approach. This approach overall apparently rankled a minority of the church. Most of us just want a good community church where religion is more of a personal matter without heavy dogma while providing charity outreach and service to those less fortunate than us alongside a good environment for bringing up our kids.

I moved to a neighborhood about 7 years ago with an Episcopal church within walking distance, but after attending a service found out they had broken off. I was surprised they were still using the "Episcopal" label when most of the breakaway churches had moved to some sort of Anglican label. Unsurprising the average age of the membership seemed 60+ and they were super excited to see a younger family in for a service.

Churches of every denomination are losing members, but some are finding ways to reach out to today's youth and younger parents by simply emphasizing Jesus' teachings vs. "Bible dogma". Unfortunately the main thriving churches around here in coastal VA seem to be these big mega-churches pushing things like Prosperity Theology with thousands of members. But there are still some old churches (some of the first in the country from the early 1600s) that are doing ok while being more progressive than those mega churches.

Great post holmes.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I’d be curious in the average age of the two churches. I’m guessing the non-lgbtq group is older and one would have to wonder the long term sustainability of that logic. Like the Shakers promoting celibacy. Not a long term plan.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

+1
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

CU88 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:52 am Americas best Christian!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoglNFN ... e=emb_logo

MAGA
There is no shortage of stupidity.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 am

MAGA
Or venality.

This 2017 article by Robert Jones explains the desperation many folks were feeling in the 2016 election.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ca/532587/

On the statistics about religion, young people in America have dramatically reduced their identification with any religious faith relative to any prior decade. Christians the most, especially white christian denominations including evangelical.

Huge drop.
As someone who thinks religion can be a very powerful force for good in society, that's concerning.

Lots of detail on this site: https://www.prri.org/end-white-christian-america/
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:21 am

MAGA
Or venality.

This 2017 article by Robert Jones explains the desperation many folks were feeling in the 2016 election.

On the statistics about religion, young people in America have dramatically reduced their identification with any religious faith relative to any prior decade. Christians the most, especially white christian denominations including evangelical.

Huge drop.
As someone who thinks religion can be a very powerful force for good in society, that's concerning.

Thanks. I just can’t believe anyone would believe Donald Trump is truthful about anything at all.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:26 am

MAGA
Or venality.

Huge drop.

Thanks. I just can’t believe anyone would believe Donald Trump is truthful about anything at all.
"The Dems are worse!!!"
"He loves America!!!"

There's indeed a lot of "stupidity" at play with those who make such claims, but mostly it's fear and anger...desperation.

The work that Jones and his colleagues have done explain that there's a very real reason for such desperation.
Trump tapped into it big time.

And Hillary et al dismissed it.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:33 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:26 am

MAGA
Or venality.

Huge drop.

"The Dems are worse!!!"
"He loves America!!!"

There's indeed a lot of "stupidity" at play with those who make such claims, but mostly it's fear and anger...desperation.

The work that Jones and his colleagues have done explain that there's a very real reason for such desperation.
Trump tapped into it big time.

And Hillary et al dismissed it.
I am going to read it after my next book. Thanks. I have called this era a “dead cat bounce”... this country is young and evolving. That old way of thinking is dying out. Smart management teams are embracing the change. We will see how it goes politically.
njbill

Post by njbill »

If you would just read Two Corinthians, you'd find all the answers.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

njbill wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:04 am If you would just read Two Corinthians, you'd find all the answers.
Here you go:

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/ ... -walk-bar/

Oh, was that not it?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MAGA

tRUMP = Antichrist
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Here is the TRUE America's Best Christian:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS0AAs ... nrql2fbo9A

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Frankly I think churches would do a lot better if they behaved more like community centers and emphasized Jesus the philosopher and gave up on the son of god angle and all the dogma. The world would be a lot better for it.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:52 pm

Frankly I think churches would do a lot better if they behaved more like community centers and emphasized Jesus the philosopher and gave up on the son of god angle and all the dogma. The world would be a lot better for it.
Great post Holmes; much appreciated.

My wife and I raised our kids Unitarian/Universalist because of three things: (1) we thought it was a good idea to expose the kids to a church organization and some type of religiosity; (2) we wanted to engage with a church that didn't necessarily -- and I mean doctrinally necessary -- to deify JC and believe in the Trinitarian construct; and (3) we wanted what amounted to a social justice organization to be their place of worship/spiritual home. As '72 sort of suggests, then, we were looking for a philosophy and we actually got a lot out of the relationship, in community, in action, in thinking about the plights of others, etc. The [unruly] self-governing Congregation includes Christians (in the Trinitarian and Unitarian senses), Buddhists, Humanists, and folks looking for some free coffee and danishes after hearing some thoughtful-talk. The membership and attendance numbers are, I think, pretty healthy for a town and catchment area of our size. People seem to like the (maybe very) progressive take on at least the hope, charity and love part.

For the record, I hung around for the free cuppa and danishes.

Return to “POLITICS”