Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Farfromgeneva

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:58 pm Breakfast of champions. My breakfast routine on Tuesday and Friday. Chinese pork and leek dumplings with mushrooms (beech today), broccoli, shrimp all prepared in steamer in 15 minutes. In the bottom of the bowl is a dab of chili sauce, soy, ponzu and drizzle of sesame oil.

E1D55E7D-4B73-445B-B8DA-1CF83F0D9EFE.jpeg
Is that the Myers hand or dish soap from Amazon prime? We get the same stuff.

My daughter (7) wants a weds invite, ex mushrooms. She LOVES dumplings.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:58 pm Breakfast of champions. My breakfast routine on Tuesday and Friday. Chinese pork and leek dumplings with mushrooms (beech today), broccoli, shrimp all prepared in steamer in 15 minutes. In the bottom of the bowl is a dab of chili sauce, soy, ponzu and drizzle of sesame oil.

What is that little creature at 3 o'clock. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Whoa, this is nice. Breakfast?
You using those chopsticks left handed?
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:17 pm

Definitely LH. Good eye.That’s breakfast in much of the world. When I lived in SF about 60% of my diet was Asian. Easy to hop on the #2-Clement St.bus and pick up some dim sum for morning.
ardilla secreta

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:50 pm

What is that little creature at 3 o'clock. :lol:
That’s Maneki-Neko, the Japanese lucky cat. You’ll always see one in any Japanese merchant.
ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:58 pm

Are you a soap fanatic? It’s Meyers, but from Costco. Try and find a Japanese place for her that makes fresh takoyaki or a dim sum palace for har gow.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

bowl of chicken soup for dinner tonight:

chicken parts
spinach
recaíto

dessert = banana-sour sop milk shake
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:32 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:17 pm

Definitely LH.
Slim odds of ever seeing a Chinese person using those left handed to eat his/her Chinese pork.
In China, in particular, less than 1 percent of students are reportedly left-handed, despite a global average of 10 to 12 percent of humans preferring their left hand, reports Howard Kushner, a researcher and Professor of Science and Society at Emory University in Atlanta.
https://www.seeker.com/why-are-there-so ... 26288.html
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:44 am
Slim odds of ever seeing a Chinese person using those left handed to eat his/her Chinese pork.
In China, in particular, less than 1 percent of students are reportedly left-handed, despite a global average of 10 to 12 percent of humans preferring their left hand, reports Howard Kushner, a researcher and Professor of Science and Society at Emory University in Atlanta.
I thought I had read somewhere it was a culture / era thing. Meaning, the right hand was intended for eating and the left was for cleaning up after yourself for both men and women. So if you saw someone grab food with their left hand....the thought was ' we know where that hand has been but we dont know if it is clean'.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:44 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:58 pm

Are you a soap fanatic? It’s Meyers, but from Costco. Try and find a Japanese place for her that makes fresh takoyaki or a dim sum palace for har gow.
Not a fanatic but my wife doesn’t adjust the prime auto shipments so it’s one of a few things we have a ton of in storage. Why automation isn’t always good-utilized by humans. (Good for Amazon, they stuffed this channel, I have five large bags of almonds in a cabinet as well)
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:22 am
I thought I had read somewhere it was a culture / era thing. Meaning, the right hand was intended for eating and the left was for cleaning up after yourself for both men and women. So if you saw someone grab food with their left hand....the thought was ' we know where that hand has been but we dont know if it is clean'.
God would say that my right hand is far dirtier
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nation of Islam bean pie - not likely to qualify as breakfast of champions but it is surprisingly good with your morning coffee:

https://tastecooking.com/recipes/bean-pie/

Its history: https://tastecooking.com/the-radical-pi ... -a-nation/

There is no one correct way to make it. Mine, for example, does not include eggs. Whatever the case, it sure went well with my coffee this morning. :)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

ardilla secreta

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:22 am
I think that the rule in Islamic cultures where it’s common to eat with your hands in a communal setting.
ardilla secreta

Sunday dinner. Ocean perch. East to prepare and cook. Delicate flesh and flavor. Incredible value at $7.90 for two filets.
FFB32106-F52E-4F56-A8BE-7730B2649316.jpeg
FFB32106-F52E-4F56-A8BE-7730B2649316.jpeg (119.54 KiB) Viewed 964 times
20F92371-1FA8-4203-BC0B-5C603306B43A.jpeg
20F92371-1FA8-4203-BC0B-5C603306B43A.jpeg (127.4 KiB) Viewed 964 times
I like to cut into two pieces for easier handling and plating. You also want to cut the skin side three or four times to prevent curling.
Cook at medium low heat and at last moment to flip to finish. Plate skin side down for better presentation.
4D5A293B-2FCE-4AE0-A834-D2BDFA551221.jpeg
4D5A293B-2FCE-4AE0-A834-D2BDFA551221.jpeg (132.48 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Served with Arborio rice with small dice of carrot and shallot with s&p and turmeric. Oven roasted asparagus.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

That CI pan looks amazingly well seasoned.....hell with the fish. ;) :lol:
~Livy
ardilla secreta

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:14 pm That CI pan looks amazingly well seasoned.....hell with the fish. ;) :lol:
Can’t remember for sure but it at least dates to when my parents got married in ‘47. Been in continuous use since. My favorite cooking implement.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

download/file.php?id=1908

I had a cast iron skillet over 40 years ago. It distributed the heat so well and my steaks came out perfect each time I used. But for the life of me I can't remember what became of that pan. Oh well, my stainless steel pans work out just about as well.

ardilla secreta

Pictured here is my Griswold griddle (Erie, Pa circa 30’s-50’s) and a DeBuyer 22cm carbon steel pan (France). The pan in the earlier post with fish is a 10” Griswold pan. Griswold was considered on of the finest made and DeBuyer is often see in the best professional kitchens. I also have a Wagner Ware 10 1/2” chicken fryer circa 30’s-50’s) with a handle that I use like a Dutch oven.
C86FBD51-8ADA-48F4-9ED7-AC162FC1C2CD.jpeg
C86FBD51-8ADA-48F4-9ED7-AC162FC1C2CD.jpeg (126.22 KiB) Viewed 942 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ they still look like they are in great shape

Over the years I've always heard that you should NOT use soap and water when cleaning your cast iron pans. Strangely, nowadays I hear just the opposite. That, indeed, you can use it such as below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zW-C0 ... Epicurious

Intro takes about 1 minute.

So far as I recall we used rock salt or some other form of highly coarse salt to clean it up. Then you use very hot water and immediately dry the pan both top and bottom. Thereafter, you put it into the oven at medium heat to completely dry the pan. Then you prime again and hang it elevated against a wall so that air passes it from every angle.

How do you keep your pans clean?

get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:18 pm ^ they still look like they are in great shape

Over the years I've always heard that you should NOT use soap and water when cleaning your cast iron pans. Strangely, nowadays I hear just the opposite. That, indeed, you can use it such as below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zW-C0 ... Epicurious

Intro takes about 1 minute.

So far as I recall we used rock salt or some other form of highly coarse salt to clean it up. Then you use very hot water and immediately dry the pan both top and bottom. Thereafter, you put it into the oven at medium heat to completely dry the pan. Then you prime again and hang it elevated against a wall so that air passes it from every angle.

How do you keep your pans clean?
100% correct. I use a Teflon spatula to remove stuck on food (or sometimes a fingernail :lol: ), warm water and sponge with the plastic woven scrubber side. Rinse, dry and put on the stove. Add a little oil on medium and let it get hot. Wipe away as much of the oil as you can. My Mom had two of them, and she kept them so well you could fry eggs without them sticking. My wife went way overboard and bought me a 12" Staub enameled cast iron pan for our Anniversary. I treat it like I would a classic car.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”