MAAC 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
SCLaxAttack

MAAC 2020

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Siena announces freshman class. Nice to see the Long Island pipeline has returned for the first time since Brecht’s days.

https://sienasaints.com/news/2019/9/16/ ... class.aspx
Dip&Dunk

Re: MAAC 2020

Post by Dip&Dunk »

For Fairfeild fans: Inside Lacrosse 10/7 Podcast is an interview with your new coach Andrew Baxter. Lots of Podcast sites are carrying it (Google, Audioboom, etc.)
Relaxin70

Post by Relaxin70 »

Marist has released their schedule. Had the national champs on their schedule the past 2 years. Only 2 Ranked teams to start with.

https://goredfoxes.com/news/2019/10/24/ ... edule.aspx
Relaxin70

Post by Relaxin70 »

Manhattan has released their schedule.

https://gojaspers.com/news/2019/10/25/m ... ?path=mlax
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Monmouth names Captains, congrats to all.

https://monmouthhawks.com/index.aspx?path=mlax
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

IL MAAC Pre season Rankings:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... year/55807

IL's Preseason MAAC Rankings
1. Marist
2. Detroit Mercy
3. Monmouth
4. Canisius
5. Quinnipiac
6. Siena
7. Manhattan
8. St. Bonaventure
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:28 pm IL MAAC Pre season Rankings:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... year/55807

IL's Preseason MAAC Rankings
1. Marist
2. Detroit Mercy
3. Monmouth
4. Canisius
5. Quinnipiac
6. Siena
7. Manhattan
8. St. Bonaventure
My pre-season rankings:

1. Marist
2. Detroit Mercy
3. Canisius
4. Quinnipiac
5. Monmouth
6. Sienna
7. Manhattan
8. St. Bonnies

I am not sure why Monmouth is ranked so high on IL's rankings, no disrespect intended. Monmouth barely beat the Bonnies (7-5?) and got throttled at home vs Canisius (12-2). AM I missing something with them in particular?

I also expect Quinnipiac to be more competitive after the weird year and circumstances surrounding the program last year.
Qckstk

Post by Qckstk »

Your rankings match mine, although I might reverse Siena and Monmouth. I agree with you on Monmouth. They lose very little but they showed zero offense last year.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

The MAAC has announced the next two sites for the conference tournament, Monmouth in 2020 and Marist in 2021. Preseason MAAC polls are historically meaningless, with last year's preseason #1 missing the conference tournament and the preseason #5 team winning the tournament. I view the league in 2020 in 2 tiers as of now, 1-5 all being pretty close with 6-8 a step below.

1. Marist - defending champs return entire offense and add a highly touted FR in Pulera from St. Joe's in Buffalo, also return goalie, and fogo of the year. Lose entire close D. While 2019 D was physical and positionally sound, 2/3 were poor in ct's, securing gb's, and clearing. These flaws were exacerbated by the introduction of the shot clock. The 2020 D could be an improved unit as they continue to gel. Wagner's #1 defenseman transferred in, a few freshmen arrive, and LSM's could be moved down low. SSDM, EMO, and 6 v 6 zone offense were glaring weaknesses in 2019, especially in the play-in game vs. UMBC, that need to be addressed.

2. Detroit Mercy - return maybe the most high end individual talent, including the defensive player of the year, lsm of the year, and 2nd team fogo. Also have 2 on preseason All MAAC at close d and 1 at attack. Getting blown out in the semis vs. Quinnipiac in 2019, offensive depth, and losing their primary initiator in Vangalen is cause for concern. FR Walters is going to need to have a big season for UDM to be successful, he had a great summer for Orangeville in the OJALL. 4 of 7 MAAC games in Detroit will be helpful for a team located so far away from most of the rest of the conference.

3. Canisius - return a lot of offensive firepower with SR's Stefaniak and Boissoneault and 2019 ROY Buck. Buck presumably gets opponent's #1 pole now after oftentimes drawing #3 last year playing with Caito and Collins. Developing complementary offensive pieces will be crucial. Losing Garlent with eligibility remaining hurts. The defense was solid in 2019 but need a new GK and a couple new close D in 2020. Addressing face offs will be important. Canisius was below average at face offs in 2019, but were essentially playing 6 v 5 if they lost the draw and couldn't get their fogo off.

4. Quinnipiac - 2019 runners up probably lose the most to graduation of any MAAC team, especially on offense. However, they still return 2 2019 first team All MAAC offensive players in Tomsik and Abbott. And a lot of potential new starters received valuable playing time early in 2019 with the majority of the senior class suspended. Like Marist, Quinnipiac had issues with their SSDM's, EMO, clearing, ct's and gb's in 2019 but had enough offensive firepower to overcome those issues. Those areas will need to pick up slack in 2020 without having Cuomo and Fletcher at Attack.

5. Monmouth - I too was surprised at IL putting Monmouth at #3 after their disappointing 2019. They do have probably the #1 defenseman in the MAAC in Hervada and get Campbell back on offense in 2020. On both sides of the ball, the shot clock hurt Monmouth as they play a slow and patient style. Losing Wasserman really hurt in 2019, Monmouth finished 72 of 73 in D1 in goals per game in 2019. They will need to develop initiators and finishers to get back into the conference playoffs in 2020.

6. Siena - much improved in 2019 in Coach Gleason's first season before wearing down in the last month. Played fast but disciplined and efficiently on offense. Lose by far top 2 scorers in Cook and Reilly, so not expecting a playoff caliber team just yet but think Gleason will have them as a perennial contender soon. FR Gleason was huge in the postseason for Massapequa HS in the NY State Class A playoffs. He should have an important role immediately. Defense and Goaltending were the glaring weaknesses in 2019, giving up almost 14 goals per game and all goalies having save percentages well below 50%.

7. St. Bonaventure - Monmouth went winless in their first season, and went 3-4 in the MAAC in their 2nd season. The MAAC as a whole is improved since then so not anticipating a huge jump, but I believe the Bonnies are poised to be much better in 2020. They return the entire team and add a new class. The Bonnies at the end of 2019 were playing much better than the team that got shutout by High Point to open the year and Mearns is a very highly regarded coach.

8. Manhattan - Had a very nice early win over Bryant and a late season upset of Canisius, but otherwise a somewhat disappointing 2019 in terms of not taking a step forward towards contending for a MAAC playoff position. Lose their 2 2nd team All MAAC players Giarratana and DeMuro. Only MAAC team not to place a player on the 2019 All Freshman team. The Gaelic Park Athletic Center opened this year and should be a big aid to Kelleher in trying to lure recruits to Riverdale.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
McGriff

Post by McGriff »

redfoxalum wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:44 pm The MAAC has announced the next two sites for the conference tournament, Monmouth in 2020 and Marist in 2021. Preseason MAAC polls are historically meaningless, with last year's preseason #1 missing the conference tournament and the preseason #5 team winning the tournament. I view the league in 2020 in 2 tiers as of now, 1-5 all being pretty close with 6-8 a step below.

1. Marist - defending champs return entire offense and add a highly touted FR in Pulera from St. Joe's in Buffalo, also return goalie, and fogo of the year. Lose entire close D. While 2019 D was physical and positionally sound, 2/3 were poor in ct's, securing gb's, and clearing. These flaws were exacerbated by the introduction of the shot clock. The 2020 D could be an improved unit as they continue to gel. Wagner's #1 defenseman transferred in, a few freshmen arrive, and LSM's could be moved down low. SSDM, EMO, and 6 v 6 zone offense were glaring weaknesses in 2019, especially in the play-in game vs. UMBC, that need to be addressed.

2. Detroit Mercy - return maybe the most high end individual talent, including the defensive player of the year, lsm of the year, and 2nd team fogo. Also have 2 on preseason All MAAC at close d and 1 at attack. Getting blown out in the semis vs. Quinnipiac in 2019, offensive depth, and losing their primary initiator in Vangalen is cause for concern. FR Walters is going to need to have a big season for UDM to be successful, he had a great summer for Orangeville in the OJALL. 4 of 7 MAAC games in Detroit will be helpful for a team located so far away from most of the rest of the conference.

3. Canisius - return a lot of offensive firepower with SR's Stefaniak and Boissoneault and 2019 ROY Buck. Buck presumably gets opponent's #1 pole now after oftentimes drawing #3 last year playing with Caito and Collins. Developing complementary offensive pieces will be crucial. Losing Garlent with eligibility remaining hurts. The defense was solid in 2019 but need a new GK and a couple new close D in 2020. Addressing face offs will be important. Canisius was below average at face offs in 2019, but were essentially playing 6 v 5 if they lost the draw and couldn't get their fogo off.

4. Quinnipiac - 2019 runners up probably lose the most to graduation of any MAAC team, especially on offense. However, they still return 2 2019 first team All MAAC offensive players in Tomsik and Abbott. And a lot of potential new starters received valuable playing time early in 2019 with the majority of the senior class suspended. Like Marist, Quinnipiac had issues with their SSDM's, EMO, clearing, ct's and gb's in 2019 but had enough offensive firepower to overcome those issues. Those areas will need to pick up slack in 2020 without having Cuomo and Fletcher at Attack.

5. Monmouth - I too was surprised at IL putting Monmouth at #3 after their disappointing 2019. They do have probably the #1 defenseman in the MAAC in Hervada and get Campbell back on offense in 2020. On both sides of the ball, the shot clock hurt Monmouth as they play a slow and patient style. Losing Wasserman really hurt in 2019, Monmouth finished 72 of 73 in D1 in goals per game in 2019. They will need to develop initiators and finishers to get back into the conference playoffs in 2020.

6. Siena - much improved in 2019 in Coach Gleason's first season before wearing down in the last month. Played fast but disciplined and efficiently on offense. Lose by far top 2 scorers in Cook and Reilly, so not expecting a playoff caliber team just yet but think Gleason will have them as a perennial contender soon. FR Gleason was huge in the postseason for Massapequa HS in the NY State Class A playoffs. He should have an important role immediately. Defense and Goaltending were the glaring weaknesses in 2019, giving up almost 14 goals per game and all goalies having save percentages well below 50%.

7. St. Bonaventure - Monmouth went winless in their first season, and went 3-4 in the MAAC in their 2nd season. The MAAC as a whole is improved since then so not anticipating a huge jump, but I believe the Bonnies are poised to be much better in 2020. They return the entire team and add a new class. The Bonnies at the end of 2019 were playing much better than the team that got shutout by High Point to open the year and Mearns is a very highly regarded coach.

8. Manhattan - Had a very nice early win over Bryant and a late season upset of Canisius, but otherwise a somewhat disappointing 2019 in terms of not taking a step forward towards contending for a MAAC playoff position. Lose their 2 2nd team All MAAC players Giarratana and DeMuro. Only MAAC team not to place a player on the 2019 All Freshman team. The Gaelic Park Athletic Center opened this year and should be a big aid to Kelleher in trying to lure recruits to Riverdale.
:!: :!: :!: :!:

Well done, wow.

As thorough of a response as I could've hoped for and super insightful.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Looks like Marist is the team to beat! I think St. Bonaventure will surprise and rank higher on the final standings. They only lost to Monmouth by 2 goals last year when their program started.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

The MAAC Coaches poll released today, a little different than the IL one. Obviously these guys know a lot more about the league. I agree that Marist is the favorite but like most years this conference is wide open.

https://maacsports.com/news/2020/1/28/m ... onors.aspx
Last edited by xxxxxxx on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:30 am The MAAC Coaches poll released today, a little different than the IL one. Obviously these guys know a lot more about the league. I agree that Marist is the favorite but like most years this conference is wide open.

JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:30 am The MAAC Coaches poll released today, a little different than the IL one. Obviously these guys know a little more about the league. I agree that Marist is the favorite but like most years this conference is wide open.

I really think Quinnipiac is going to be a force this season and next, at least. Their freshman class is very, very good.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

The top 4 are definitely the contenders....with regard to the other 4, anyone could be at the bottom.
Relaxin70

Post by Relaxin70 »

Looking forward to the first full week.

Detroit had a rough one after a good win against Jacksonville. They have some time to recover before they face Bellarmine and hopefully get another out of conference win. From what I seen on the highlights, surprisingly the D struggled - losing a lot of men leaving easy open looks.

Hopefully the conference can get some wins out of conference again this week.

Manhattan, although coming off an improved season will struggle at Navy. Hoping Quinnipiac can recover after a rough first game. 25 Turnovers and 7 failed clears will make it difficult vs any team. Would like to see them get a win this time at Umass Lowell.

Monmouth vs NJIT, Marist vs Binghamton, Siena vs LIU hopefully all come away with wins for the conference. Marist scrimmaged LIU this week and ended comfortably ahead 16-7 I believe.

I am most interested in seeing how the Boni's improve. Last year they were doubled up by St Joes, hoping they can make it a more competitive of a game this year.

Good luck!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”