NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
warriorslax17

Re: NESCAC

Post by warriorslax17 »

What is the story on Annino? Is that a good hire for Bates?
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

warriorslax17 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:32 am What is the story on Annino? Is that a good hire for Bates?
If a previous post is true, in that none of the finalists at Bates had prior head coaching experience, and you know you're going to have a first time head coach get the job; I think Annino is a slam dunk hire for them....a former NESCAC player, who played in three NCAA tournaments; then was on staff for a run to the National Championship game, earning National Assistant Coach of the Year.....the fact that JT handed him the reins of the defense in his first year on staff (after a year away from lacrosse) says A LOT about how good of a coach Dan is.

He follows up his Amherst stint with two years at one of the most storied programs in the sport; coaching against some of the best players in the country and from all accounts being trusted by that staff to be very involved in the program.

GREAT hire for Bates.

Honestly, I think a lot of people asking not if this was a good move for Bates, but rather if it was a good move for Dan.
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Agree, GREAT hire for Bates. Slam Dunk. I think he would have blown away most D3 HC’s in interview process {I say that having run about 9 HC searches in various sports at three NESCAC schools.} When a coach commands the room, has a vision and a plan, and exudes energy it trumps a lot of crap that shows up on a resume. You do not need to have been a HC to know hoe to be a good HC. Plenty of examples.

He absolutely should be compared to JT, who “moved up” from Colby to Amherst, then had a number of D1 HC opportunities. The one he really wanted backfired. I have to think of JT as a great mentor and friend to Dan.

I hear that Dan is incredibly sharp and talented. He is not going to be real happy with a long run in Lewiston. Bates, maybe…Lewiston? Ugh. JT LIKED Colby. But the Colby AD knew JT had his eye on a NC, and the Ivy League. When Amherst sort of “pulled a foul” and hired a sitting NESCAC HC {nearly doubling his income}, Colby knew that long term, he would never stay. JT was the best coach interview that I have sat in on…..seeing him at two schools, and hearing audio of interviews at two others.

You hire the best you can. I don’t think you can get hung up on “will he stay”, as often they DO. He’s young, talented, I doubt if anybody will outwork him, and I would bet on a very different Bates.

Reminds me of hiring JT. “How old is this kid? And he just became the OC at Brown? Never been a HC?” Yeah, IMO, he was the best coach in the NESCAC by about his fourth game.

I hope that Dan has huge success, but…..that it does not reflect poorly on Peter. The huge success of Bowdoin this season has not done much for their former coach’s job prospects, I hear. Jason is a good guy. Bowdoin’s complete 180 does not scream “great coach.”

I would love to see Colby buy out GVA, now. Bad hire. Been on a slide since his first day. You must be able to recruit, often from the same small ponds. Dan will KILL it in recruiting. GVA? Not so much. An issue. The AD at the time made a terrible call with GVA. They still pay the price.

I don’t think that Bates could have done any better. Excited for all Bobcats and Bobcat fans! This is a VERY GOOD hire, IMO.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Muleski wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:52 pm Agree, GREAT hire for Bates. Slam Dunk. I think he would have blown away most D3 HC’s in interview process {I say that having run about 9 HC searches in various sports at three NESCAC schools.} When a coach commands the room, has a vision and a plan, and exudes energy it trumps a lot of crap that shows up on a resume. You do not need to have been a HC to know hoe to be a good HC. Plenty of examples.

He absolutely should be compared to JT, who “moved up” from Colby to Amherst, then had a number of D1 HC opportunities. The one he really wanted backfired. I have to think of JT as a great mentor and friend to Dan.

I hear that Dan is incredibly sharp and talented. He is not going to be real happy with a long run in Lewiston. Bates, maybe…Lewiston? Ugh. JT LIKED Colby. But the Colby AD knew JT had his eye on a NC, and the Ivy League. When Amherst sort of “pulled a foul” and hired a sitting NESCAC HC {nearly doubling his income}, Colby knew that long term, he would never stay. JT was the best coach interview that I have sat in on…..seeing him at two schools, and hearing audio of interviews at two others.

You hire the best you can. I don’t think you can get hung up on “will he stay”, as often they DO. He’s young, talented, I doubt if anybody will outwork him, and I would bet on a very different Bates.

Reminds me of hiring JT. “How old is this kid? And he just became the OC at Brown? Never been a HC?” Yeah, IMO, he was the best coach in the NESCAC by about his fourth game.

I hope that Dan has huge success, but…..that it does not reflect poorly on Peter. The huge success of Bowdoin this season has not done much for their former coach’s job prospects, I hear. Jason is a good guy. Bowdoin’s complete 180 does not scream “great coach.”

I would love to see Colby buy out GVA, now. Bad hire. Been on a slide since his first day. You must be able to recruit, often from the same small ponds. Dan will KILL it in recruiting. GVA? Not so much. An issue. The AD at the time made a terrible call with GVA. They still pay the price.

I don’t think that Bates could have done any better. Excited for all Bobcats and Bobcat fans! This is a VERY GOOD hire, IMO.
You gonna let the guy buy you dinner first?
Last edited by Switzerland on Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
nelax1978

Post by nelax1978 »

Muleski wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:52 pm Agree, GREAT hire for Bates. Slam Dunk. I think he would have blown away most D3 HC’s in interview process {I say that having run about 9 HC searches in various sports at three NESCAC schools.} When a coach commands the room, has a vision and a plan, and exudes energy it trumps a lot of crap that shows up on a resume. You do not need to have been a HC to know hoe to be a good HC. Plenty of examples.

FWIW. I know some of the young men and their families that play for Bowdoin. They were very complimentary of Coach Archbell, the culture he had established, and the coaching. Although the younger guys did not experience it much since it sounded like they basically didn't play for two years. I also had not realized that the entire roster were his recruits. From their perspective he had established a great foundation for Coach Mason to work with. Also FWIW they said great things about Coach Mason and the job he did this year

Also curious the thoughts on Van Arsdale. Seems like they did have a few quality wins during his regime, but is there something i'm not looking at or more rumblings from the inside?

i'm a newbie to all this so trying to learn!
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Spot on. This was one of the worst hires in Nescac history. The AD was so hell bent on hiring a DI guy and this was what he got.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Word on the street is that Troy Haefele has joined the Midd staff as an assistant coach. He appears to be replacing Duncan Fitzgerald as the offensive coordinator. Troy's brother Trevar is an assistant at Bowdoin.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Can confirm he took over for Duncan who has left Coaching.
warriorslax17

Post by warriorslax17 »

Any idea why Duncan left coaching?
smoova

Post by smoova »

warriorslax17 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:34 pm Any idea why Duncan left coaching?
Taking a job that offers strong financial opportunities and a chance to use his MBA. He is leaving on good terms and staying on until the 2023 recruiting class is largely complete.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

You will see more and more of this as time goes on. Especially with the salary and benefits companies are throwing around to attract talent. Duncan is smart to strike...college coaching is a grind with little financial benefit for those not at the top.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Looks like Tufts is picking up a transfer face-off guy from Denver (Ethan Kriss). I can't tell (from about three minutes of internet research) if he suited up for the Pios this year or not, but he seemed to be a highly regarded 2021 face-off recruit.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:29 pm Looks like Tufts is picking up a transfer face-off guy from Denver (Ethan Kriss). I can't tell (from about three minutes of internet research) if he suited up for the Pios this year or not, but he seemed to be a highly regarded 2021 face-off recruit.
Does anyone know if Kohn and Merrill are returning?
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:33 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:29 pm Looks like Tufts is picking up a transfer face-off guy from Denver (Ethan Kriss). I can't tell (from about three minutes of internet research) if he suited up for the Pios this year or not, but he seemed to be a highly regarded 2021 face-off recruit.
Does anyone know if Kohn and Merrill are returning?
Kohn was a junior last year and a captain of the Tufts hockey team so assume is returning. Have not heard that Merrill not returning (from my sources). Excited to get the DU FO transfer Laxxal referenced, Pat Norton (the hockey coach) will be happy.
Leonard Washington

Unknown Participant wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:52 pm
Kohn was a junior last year and a captain of the Tufts hockey team so assume is returning. Have not heard that Merrill not returning (from my sources). Excited to get the DU FO transfer Laxxal referenced, Pat Norton (the hockey coach) will be happy.
Thank you for the update.

An embarrassment of riches for the Jumbos and should pay dividends in early to late May
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:45 am
Unknown Participant wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:52 pm
Thank you for the update.

An embarrassment of riches for the Jumbos and should pay dividends in early to late May
There is also 3 other incoming FO men at Tufts, having 4 in 1 class may cause more trouble than good. They’ll sort it out I’m sure. Fortunately for the NESCAC they only play 1 at a time.
Leonard Washington

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:55 pm
There is also 3 other incoming FO men at Tufts, having 4 in 1 class may cause more trouble than good. They’ll sort it out I’m sure. Fortunately for the NESCAC they only play 1 at a time.
I don't disagree but will say, it seems that no matter how good and dominant one is at faceoffs, there are at least one or two other guys who can be or are your kryptonite. All those frosh coming in you would hope one would be able to separate themselves.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Moreland (asst coach) leaving Medford for BU I hear.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Good Jamie Munro interview with Casey D’Annolfo just released:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/p ... 0576170748

He confirms that there will be no coach-led fall ball practices this year, but positions that as a good thing for building player leadership. Instead of running drills and tactical practices in the fall, he likes it when the guys just play pickup lax, working on creativity and new moves.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Like Alabama football..Tufts was rebuilding last year :roll:

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”