PLL Catch All

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
LordRaider

Re: PLL Catch All

Post by LordRaider »

PLL Playoff format actually pretty good, and the coverage has been great. They need to do more to get butts in the seats, but the product has been good.

Caveat- I have a 10-year old lax-rat son who replays games constantly. He’s hungry for lax to watch. College games just aren’t available- I tried to go back to ESPN and replay the national championship and it was gone about 6 weeks after it was played.

Here is an article about the PLL playoff format:

https://www.foxsports.com/other/story/f ... how-081519
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

I think the playoff format is confusing but I agree the product is pretty good.

I used the PLL (and MLL) to get me through the dog-day evenings of summer before football and hockey came back.

The statistics on PLL's website are pretty amateurish and seem to have little basis in reality at times.

Example, I watched the chrome/archers losers bracket game last Sat. Queener, who I know and root against, played the 2nd and part of the 3rd before being injured. The first 3 shots against him went in, he saved two, let in one other, then made two saves inc. the one that knocked him out of the game. Stat page has him at 70% svp for that game, an elite SVP for a pro league ... if a shot wasn't hitting him or going directly in his stick, he wasn't making the save.
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Agreed that the stats could be more accurate and more thorough. It seems they’ve dedicated more money to the look and feel (broadcast, replay, social media). But, that might be necessary to gain exposure. The exposure is working with the young players I know. My son and his friends started watching PLL during summer tourney season, it carried them through the summer, and they are hooked. If you are a 10-14 year old attackman, it’s hard not to be inspired by Garnsey and Fields. Plenty of role models for midfield, D, and FO as well.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Drinking on the field is really stupid, makes it look like amateur hour. Too bad because it was a good game, C'mon guys wake the hell up
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:52 pm Drinking on the field is really stupid, makes it look like amateur hour. Too bad because it was a good game, C'mon guys wake the hell up
You are right. They can do better.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
sdhakim

Post by sdhakim »

I love the comment on the PLL hometown scenario. Having a hometown and a geographical tie is a critical foundational element for any professional sports team. I hope they eventually settle down in a city or state, but who knows. Their set-up is totally unique.

I am a PHD student at The University of Alabama and I am actually conducting a research project on the PLL and fans of the PLL - how they have created their fan identity with one of the largest factors of fanship removed: the hometown team.

Your participation is greatly appreciated, and your survey responses will help further research on lacrosse fan identity. All survey responses 100% confidential.

Please use this link to continue to this survey: https://universityofalabama.az1.qualtri ... LZjIfOV43j
Sam H.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The PLL has named their first expansion team the "Waterdogs" and noted that "Every game is a revenge game".
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Horrible mockery of the sport. The creator is not pleased!!
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

hooligan88 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:21 am Horrible mockery of the sport. The creator is not pleased!!
Hooligan -- Can you explain?
I think I get what you are saying, however, would like to see it fleshed out more.

Also

You care.
I care.
Most on these boards probably care.

Do you think "they" care?
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

I have stated the way the PLL is doing things to be "hip" is not helping the sport long term. Here are a few observations:

Soccer style entrance: Is for soccer not lax. If you want to add something to the beginning try added the Native ceremony before the game not soccer.

Speaking of soccer, the Uniforms. Lax uniforms are awesome letting Adidas shill out soccer throwaways is a bad look. (I am in minority on this) and yes i get having corporate sponsors, blah blah blah.

The lack of proper equipment. I get it lax bros your tuff. I saw way to many good players get injured out of the playoffs last season because of not wearing proper equipment. Now i got kids not wanting to wear the proper equipment in out game. My answer to the kids: Your not Greg Gurelian.

Extended box and shorter fields. This only confirms the rumors that Paul and his lax bros want to extend their careers. Its ok we all get old man.

I wish they would play in smaller stadiums. I hate the empty stadium look.

Interviews and being mic'd up. Its minor league crap.

Miss having teams associated with towns.

The All star game stuff like faceoffs was goofy.

I like being active on social media but some of it made them look silly and not "Professional"

I really want all 3 of our pro lacrosse leagues to work out. NLL has the best formula so far. MLL does some things right, they should really treat players better. I get why PLL started and wanted to fix, but at what expense? If you cater to the outer rim fans how are you going to keep the hardcore guys? I want to love the PLL, but everytime i try something turns me off.

That's my rant. Sorry not sorry.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

hooligan88 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 pm I have stated the way the PLL is doing things to be "hip" is not helping the sport long term. Here are a few observations:

Soccer style entrance: Is for soccer not lax. If you want to add something to the beginning try added the Native ceremony before the game not soccer.

Speaking of soccer, the Uniforms. Lax uniforms are awesome letting Adidas shill out soccer throwaways is a bad look. (I am in minority on this) and yes i get having corporate sponsors, blah blah blah.

The lack of proper equipment. I get it lax bros your tuff. I saw way to many good players get injured out of the playoffs last season because of not wearing proper equipment. Now i got kids not wanting to wear the proper equipment in out game. My answer to the kids: Your not Greg Gurelian.

Extended box and shorter fields. This only confirms the rumors that Paul and his lax bros want to extend their careers. Its ok we all get old man.

I wish they would play in smaller stadiums. I hate the empty stadium look.

Interviews and being mic'd up. Its minor league dump.

Miss having teams associated with towns.

The All star game stuff like faceoffs was goofy.

I like being active on social media but some of it made them look silly and not "Professional"

I really want all 3 of our pro lacrosse leagues to work out. NLL has the best formula so far. MLL does some things right, they should really treat players better. I get why PLL started and wanted to fix, but at what expense? If you cater to the outer rim fans how are you going to keep the hardcore guys? I want to love the PLL, but everytime i try something turns me off.

That's my rant. Sorry not sorry.
I admittedly haven't paid much attention to the PLL: From the start I never got the traveling circus aspect and I'm not sure I will ever pay attention because of that. Sorry but I have no interest in cheering for a team concept (Chrome), or by player, or by uniform or whatever they are attempting to do. I'd much rather they give them homes in cities where I don't live and I could cheer for the one closest until my city got one.

I don't disagree with anything you've said above. Stupid team names, terrible jerseys, soccer wannabe et al. I could deal with most of that but there are two things I can't get past; 1) No team homes as mentioned above and 2) Changing of the field/rules etc. A shot clock and a two point arc are not huge changes like the MLL did but at this point I wouldn't put it past the PLL to make other huge changes if they thought it might mean more viewers in the short term. The field game is great the way it is please don't mess with it any more.

Also, for those who don't know the MLL is getting out of Atlanta, Dallas and Denver and putting everyone in the NE. As much as I have no affection for the PLL the MLL certainly hasn't managed things very well over the past few years. Denver always drew fairly well, Charlotte and Atlanta drew well the first few years but I think they did a very poor job of keeping things going. Not sure how Dallas drew. At this point two field leagues is just stupid. God forbid the MLL fails and the PLL looks at it as a mandate that what they are doing is working.
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Dallas drew good the first season. 2nd season with only 4 players from the first season roster, not so much. Pretty sad.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

PLLPBTM
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

This is nice ! How will this post take off ? College lacrosse & HS are biggest thing in the sport. This league is a pimple. But, the effort in the league is impressive.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

For big fans ! Stats have to get better ! Myles Jones stats have been in incognito understandable. But people like to follow trends , teams . Last year was repulsive
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I enjoyed season 1 and want the PLL to be successful, but branding the league name with Ticketmaster feels...tacky. Especially since most people hold Ticketmaster in the same regard as they hold their cable company and electricity supplier.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

dp68 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:12 pm I enjoyed season 1 and want the PLL to be successful, but branding the league name with Ticketmaster feels...tacky. Especially since most people hold Ticketmaster in the same regard as they hold their cable company and electricity supplier.
Tacky?
Have you seen the team names and slogans?
At least they haven't been peddling the "We The Players" nonsense recently.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I hear you, and the team names did make me roll my eyes. But the games won me over. I like the PLL overall, just don't understand why they'd choose a derided company as part of their branding.
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

So I just saw that the opening of the MLL season has been suspended due to COVID-19. I would imagine the PLL may follow suit although they may wait a bit to see if they can get a step up on the MLL. However, it occurs to me that this is one of the downfalls of the touring model. The opening weekend is at Gillette Stadium...when are you going to be able to reschedule that?! For as long as they have to delay the season it will be very hard to make up those weekends at those venues compared to the MLL who have consistent venues to play in throughout the summer. Also, was the "Beans" thing real or was that an April Fools joke? Thoughts?
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”