Columbia and UConn Men's Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mid-Lax

Columbia and UConn Men's Lacrosse

Post by Mid-Lax »

I see some recent posts for Uconn men's lacrosse. I also know many would like to see Columbia add lacrosse. Both could join their natural conferences CAA (not Big East) and Ivy. Would make great northeast lacrosse additions in the center of a hothead region. They have my support. Wish their athletic departments would make the overall changes to make it happen.
Lux et veritas
HowieT3

Re: Columbia and UConn Men's Lacrosse

Post by HowieT3 »

The posts were speculation, primarily driven by field usage. Columbia hosted the Ivy tournament even though it doesn't have a men's team and Fairfield hosted the NCAA playoffs at Rentschler Field which UConn rents from the state for football. There is nothing further that has emerged so far. Both schools already have women's teams which go toward leveling their Title IX numbers, which usually makes it more difficult to start men's teams. UConn just announced that it will be joining the Big East for all sports except football in (IIRC) the 2021-22 school year.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

I’m sure Title IX has something to do with it, but with Robert Kraft’s deep pockets it surprises me a little that Columbia hasn’t taken the leap. There seem to be a lot of dots that could be connected - Columbia alum, big time general donor, an athletics donor who gets his name on the field, interested in lacrosse enough to host break-even to marginally profitable events at Gillette, and the Belichick connection.
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:19 am I’m sure Title IX has something to do with it, but with Robert Kraft’s deep pockets it surprises me a little that Columbia hasn’t taken the leap. There seem to be a lot of dots that could be connected - Columbia alum, big time general donor, an athletics donor who gets his name on the field, interested in lacrosse enough to host break-even to marginally profitable events at Gillette, and the Belichick connection.
Do any of those really matter to a RK? I suspect that he already has plenty of ego-gratification through athletics.

And who knows if he even like lacrosse? We know Satan does, but does Kraft?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

A few years ago when the Columbia question came up, I found s few articles on the web about the AD and administraton making a very firm case for not adding men's lacrosse. Title IX and availability of practice fields were the two main issues noted.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

A few years ago when the Columbia question came up, I found s few articles on the web about the AD and administraton making a very firm case for not adding men's lacrosse. Title IX and availability of practice fields were the two main issues noted.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

When did UConn drop men's? There's a 1972 youtube UConn v Brown, and I'm pretty sure it's D1 v D1 and not a club-team scrimmage.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Zero chance at UConn, which is about to cut a bunch of sports
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 am A few years ago when the Columbia question came up, I found s few articles on the web about the AD and administraton making a very firm case for not adding men's lacrosse. Title IX and availability of practice fields were the two main issues noted.
For decades, various Columbia ADs made unequivocal statements that men's lacrosse was not possible. As I understand, that anti-lax stance has been softened in recent years by a combination of hosting the ILT and a persistent group of club-lacrosse alumni. However, money and endowment have remained thin, with no millionaire and/or billionaire chipping in. Facilities and logistics are challenging for all Columbia outdoor sports.

https://www.makeit8.com/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Slightly off topic but why is CAA natural fit for UConn vs Bo
Big East? Ike he CAA in lacrosse but overall it seems like a ECAC style catch all across sports rather than a consistent natural league (had thoughts when ECAC finally busted up about Bart jointing, guess travel might’ve been a bit much). Most of these schools I associate with other conferences overall like A10, Big East, etc
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

UConn joining the Big East for men's lacrosse should they form a program would really help that conference, especially now. BE can boot Denver out to save travel costs as they'd still have 6 programs and keeping their AQ.

But again, I don't see any schools adding sports in the short-term. Especially if you're a school that has just cut programs.
118:24 #HHH
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:00 am Slightly off topic but why is CAA natural fit for UConn vs Bo
Big East? Ike he CAA in lacrosse but overall it seems like a ECAC style catch all across sports rather than a consistent natural league ...
The core is football, basketball, Tigers, Hens, Hofstra at one time, UMass who moved up to DI, Villanova who was in the CAA lacrosse for years, for football — Tigers, Hens, Drexel, Hofstra for basketball.
Then, the core schools in lacrosse going back decades in the old ECC, then the NEC, then America East, Hens, Dragons, Tigers, Dutch.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:10 am Zero chance at UConn, which is about to cut a bunch of sports
Yup, saw this as well. Big time in the hole for money . . . . I strongly doubt they will add a sport (as awesome as that may be!) that will put them further into the red.

https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uc ... story.html
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Something tells me nobody is planning to add any new D1 Men's Lacrosse programs in the near future. Been reading that the outlook is quite bleak. Sheesh...
Puck Swami

Post by Puck Swami »

cuseman4133 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:24 am UConn joining the Big East for men's lacrosse should they form a program would really help that conference, especially now. BE can boot Denver out to save travel costs as they'd still have 6 programs and keeping their AQ.
Denver men's lax is a perennial top 10 program with multiple final fours, an NC, and DU women's lax finished in the NCAA final eight last year. Denver is private and has solid academics and endowment, too. The Big East flying out to Denver once every other year is a small price to pay to have the Pioneers in the conference. The Big East schools get a strong fan turnout in Denver and enjoy the experience. Even if the BIg East had seven or nine teams, they'd be foolish to kick out the Pioneers...
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

is there a common hierarchy ad's use to keep/get rid of sports other than storied school history and maybe donor. For example to cut mens tennis or golf or cross country? Seems like wrestling and mens gymnastics were popular cuts in the last cycle.
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

UCONN loses money on its 'revenue' sports, football and basketball, The Athletic Department needs a $40 million taxpayer bailout to cover its collective losses. According to the Hartford Courant, Football lost $8.7 million (along with 10 out 12 games). Basketball for men lost $5 million, or a million bucks for each kid on the floor, and the women's team lost another $3.1 million. With that record, it is pretty hard to imagine the state, teetering on bankruptcy and will unfunded everything is going to try to field a lax team.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

10 10 2 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:36 pm Something tells me nobody is planning to add any new D1 Men's Lacrosse programs in the near future. Been reading that the outlook is quite bleak. Sheesh...
With Title IX, it is extremely hard for any public Uni to come up with the money for a team; just way too costly before COVID. For example, there is zero chance that any of the other Pac12 members will join Utah out west. Stanford and USC are the only two that could afford it, and USC is all about football. Stanford would put on their bean counter hats, look at the travel requirements, and say, 'heck no'.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”