UNC
1%
Other
2%

Total votes: 103

laxpere

Transfer Poll: Chase Scanlan moves from the RAC to the Dome

Post by laxpere »

Which school will be the destination for Chase Scanlan? Syracuse wins the Scanlan lottery.
Up to two votes per user. You may vote or change your votes up until the poll closes on the afternoon of July 12th, or until there is an announcement.

Poll is confidential and intended to gauge popular opinion. Hopefully, no one is offended by the poll or the posts.
Thanks for participating.

Changes:
June 24th: replaced Michigan with Johns Hopkins and Towson with Virginia

Good luck to Chase Scanlan wherever he chooses to transfer, even if he has lives in Syberacuse...
Last edited by laxpere on Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Peter Brown

Re: Transfer Poll: Chase Scanlan - Open through July 12th

Post by Peter Brown »

I mean I don't want to put any pressure on the kid, but it would be interesting to see how good our collective body of lax IQ is here with this poll. I bet we get it correctly.

My two votes were 'Cuse and Albany.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

LSN twitter

Chase Scanlan tells LSN he has narrowed his transfer choices to six schools: Virginia, Cornell, Syracuse, Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Penn State and is planning to make a decision in the next week. Monday he is visiting the Cornell Indigenous Studies program & coaches.
DMac

Post by DMac »

My vote is based purely on hope, this is a very Cuse like looking player...to me.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 am LSN twitter

Chase Scanlan tells LSN he has narrowed his transfer choices to six schools: Virginia, Cornell, Syracuse, Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Penn State and is planning to make a decision in the next week. Monday he is visiting the Cornell Indigenous Studies program & coaches.

I want my vote back on Albany! lol

Anyway, I just can't imagine he goes anywhere other than 'Cuse.

I mean, if you are looking for the opposite of blue collar, Charlottesville is your home! Also, although I think Tills would be a fantastic mentor to this kid, I don't see him going 30 miles to College Park, or 1 mile to Hopkins; my gut tells me that both schools lose on the geographic proximity to Loyola.

Cornell is a school which I have been unable to quite put my finger on, but Teat being there might have some allure to Chase. PSU and Tambroni seem logical, but Chase will not get the lights he got at Loyola on that team.

PSU and Cornell suffer from crappy weather all year with no indoor dome. So, I take 'Cuse. Good luck Chase wherever you go buddy; we will always take you back if you hate the choice.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am I mean, if you are looking for the opposite of blue collar, Charlottesville is your home! Also, although I think Tills would be a fantastic mentor to this kid, I don't see him going 30 miles to College Park, or 1 mile to Hopkins; my gut tells me that both schools lose on the geographic proximity to Loyola.
My guess is he doesn't choose Hopkins either, but why do you assume a geographic proximity to his most recent school is an automatic negative? Maybe he likes living and playing in Maryland...but just didn't like Loyola. Moving his stuff down the street to Homewood would definitely be cheaper and easier than the other options. :)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:59 am
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am I mean, if you are looking for the opposite of blue collar, Charlottesville is your home! Also, although I think Tills would be a fantastic mentor to this kid, I don't see him going 30 miles to College Park, or 1 mile to Hopkins; my gut tells me that both schools lose on the geographic proximity to Loyola.
My guess is he doesn't choose Hopkins either, but why do you assume a geographic proximity to his most recent school is an automatic negative? Maybe he likes living and playing in Maryland...but just didn't like Loyola. Moving his stuff down the street to Homewood would definitely be cheaper and easier than the other options. :)

I think that when kids make these moves, there's a ton of emotion in the decision and occasionally some memories you want to wall off. Nearby friends, teammates, girlfriends. If it were me, I'd want to get as far away as possible and start fresh.

On the other hand, Bloomberg's Hopkins largesse certainly has made Hopkins a very beautiful environment these days. And I could see Chase liking Petro.

Who knows. I just think he ends up at 'Cuse in front of his hometown fans.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:59 am
My guess is UVA. Lars and Zed may be enough to make it happen. Yale picked up TD after a championship and UVA may pick up Scanlan.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Syracuse makes alot of sense because it checks off many boxes beyond a top tier lax program and good academics, there is a fitting atmosphere with diversity yet much commonality, good social life and certain familiarity that would suit him well on and off the field. A do over in some respect but the staff, players and fans being all in hoping he goes means alot . . be not only welcomed but warmly embraced and that is important consideration when transferring to a school/team.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

If those are in fact the schools he is looking at they make up of those teams are not going to be materially different than the Loyola locker room, with the possible exception of Penn St, and Cuse. There are a lot of MIAA, Philly Area, and Prep school kids on all of those rosters. If he doesn't wind up at either Syracuse or at least give Albany a sniff than there is a lot more to the story than how the locker room felt, and if that is the case than that is OK too.

The Native American players at Albany are all well integrated into the team, but they definitely hang out together and move as more or less as a unit which is understandable. Chase plays with several guys on the Albany roster, and has played for Marr so the fact that Albany isn't on his list is more than just a little bit surprising.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

man, that's a weird list given what he had to say about his reasons for transferring,
penn state and syracuse look like they belong. the rest... not so much.
unless he has some ex-teammates or friends at another school that could pull him in, i'd guess it's one of those 2. uva dark horse with lars and zed, but it's like you'd be photocopying their rosters, and likely student body as well.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm man, that's a weird list given what he had to say about his reasons for transferring,
unless he has some ex-teammates or friends at another school that could pull him in, i'd guess it's one of those 2. uva dark horse with lars and zed, but it's like you'd be photocopying their rosters, and likely student body as well.
[
/quote]

^THIS. Loyola and UVA have similar student bodies socioeconomically. Loyola is majority caucasian, and while it is becoming more diverse, its only happening incrementally.

As a Filipino male, Loyola still fit for me with it being Jesuit and i met a bunch of other filipino's to become friends. Also, i was still comfortable in the student body as i went to a high school with almost the same diversity as Loyola.

THere has to be more to the story than "blue collar programs"
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm man, that's a weird list given what he had to say about his reasons for transferring,
Suggestions? I was using the comment about moving to the ACC and BG12, but looking for collective wisdom, if you want to call it wisdom.
If a school receives no votes, more than willing to switch it out with a school that is going to garner more votes. No harm, no foul.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxpere wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 pm
Suggestions? I was using the comment about moving to the ACC and BG12.
If a school receives no votes, more than willing to switch it out with a school that is going to garner more votes. No harm, no foul.
i was referring to the 6 school list that lsn published that supposedly he had narrowed his choices to (see above).

but while you're at it --- you have 4 of them in your poll, and are missing uva and hopkins from his now supposedly winnowed list... if you wanna believe the report as accurate.

i'd bump towson and michigan for those 2. rutgers instead of unc also would've made my guess list prior to this new "news", but now who knows?
Last edited by wgdsr on Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxpere wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 pm
Suggestions? I was using the comment about moving to the ACC and BG12, but looking for collective wisdom, if you want to call it wisdom.

I took wgdsr's post to mean what Chase said to LSN, not your list.
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

You have to make Syracuse the favorite, there's a bunch of ties between the Orange and the IMG players who have graduated high school already.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

laxpere wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:33 am Which school will be the destination for Chase Scanlan? Good luck to Chase Scanlan wherever he chooses to transfer.

Up to two votes per user. You may vote or change your votes up until the poll closes on the afternoon of July 12th, or until there is an announcement.

Poll is confidential and intended to gauge popular opinion. Hopefully, no one is offended by the poll or the posts.
Thanks for participating.

Changes:
June 24th: replaced Michigan with Johns Hopkins and Towson with Virginia
“Johns Hopins” ... seriously?!?

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I know the favorites are probably Cornell and Syracuse.

Still, there must have been some reason he decommitted from the Orange, and it’s unclear why Cornell wasn’t among his final two in high school.

I obviously have no inside information, but Chase Scanlan seems to me to be a young man who wants to follow his own path and forge his own unique legacy. Otherwise, he would have followed the well-worn path to Syracuse or Albany. I may very well be wrong, but I don’t recall Johns Hopkins ever having a Native American lacrosse star in its storied history. Again, may be wrong about that, but this could be Scanlan’s opportunity to establish a unique place in the history of the sport’s most legendary program.

Focusing just on lacrosse, it is easy to argue that Johns Hopkins needs a top-tier offensive midfielder more than any of the other schools listed.

A couple of good arguments for picking Hopkins.

We’ll see. Best wishes to the young man.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

So we're all assuming he got his application into Cornell by the same Ivy League deadline that Gray would have had to adhere to should he have wanted to go to Yale, right?

Was that June 15? When did Chase enter the portal? June 18?

So he would have had to apply to Cornell 3 days prior to entering the portal. Not out of the question by any means but does the timeline match here?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... five/54917
Scanlan says that he’s focusing on four or five schools: Virginia, Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Cornell, although Syracuse is also in the picture, offering him the storied No. 22 jersey.

According to Scanlan, it’s an option largely due to the Syracuse University’s Haudenosaunee Promise Scholarship for Native Americans, which would fully cover tuition and other costs.

Other programs have been more of a focus, Scanlan says, calling Virginia his "front-runner" late last week.

Coach Lars Tiffany was an assistant on the Iroquois team at the most recent World Games in Israel, while former Wahoo standout Zed Williams is Scanlan’s cousin, so the connections run deep.

Maryland, Johns Hopkins and Penn State are viable options in the Big 10, though any visits have to be sorted out in accordance with Scanlan’s schedule with the Six Nations Jr. A box team. At least one college coach has plans to watch him play box this week while in Canada, with others having stopped by the box arenas since Scanlan entered the portal.

On Monday, Scanlan went to Cornell to figure out specifics on whether or not he can get a waiver through the Haudenosaunee program, given that the Ivy admissions deadline has passed. He did not meet with the coaching staff while in Ithaca.

“Right now, I’m open to going anywhere as long as I’m getting educated. The lacrosse part is awesome, but I want to use my education to help others down the road,” said Scanlan, who was on a path to major in communications while at Loyola. “A lot of great programs have been very welcoming, and at the end of the day, I’m competitive and want to win like anybody else.”
Desko offers yet another kid the #22 jersey...and it doesn't sound like he's all that interested. Time to burn that thing.

Sounds like Virginia is the favorite with Maryland and Hopkins as possibilities and Cornell a maybe if he can figure out the admission waiver thing.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”