VMI 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

VMI 2020

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Building on 2019.

Incoming recruits number 16. Heavy on middies and attack.

IMO several are very high quality (FO/middie/LSM/D-pole I know from personal observation) and will start or see significant time early on.
Dip&Dunk

Re: VMI 2020

Post by Dip&Dunk »

2019-2020 VMI Lacrosse Important dates:

October 18: Game at W&L at 7pm

October 19: VMI Lacrosse 3rd annual Golf Tournament/Fundraiser either 10am or 1pm tee time (more info to follow from Coach Birsner)

January 25: Away scrimmage TBD

February 8: Away scrimmage at Washington College

February 15: Away game at Manhattan College

February 22: Away game at NJIT

February 29: Away game at Mount St Mary's

March 3: Home game vs Wagner

March 6: Home game vs Richmond (6pm)

March 13: Away game at High Point (7pm)

March 21: Away game at Jacksonville

March 27: Home game vs UMBC (6pm)

March 29: Home game vs Hampton (2pm)

April 4: Home game vs Bellarmine

April 11: Away game at Air Force

April 18: Away game at Mercer

April 25: Home game vs Furman

April 30: SoCon Semifinals

May 2: SoCon Championships
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Thank you for all this info, Dip!

I think the Keydets will improve this year; I'm banking on a couple more wins. I think Coach Birsner is doing a great job!
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Rat mass 515. Second largest mass ever. 16 recruits. All in barracks. We’ll see how it works out.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Also reliable source says UVA being added as late season game to already posted schedule.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

As mentioned in the SoCon thread: 15 of 16 lax recruits made it through Hell Week in my count. This is most likely the best recruiting class VMI has had in quite a long time.

Kyle Walsh's graduation of course is a hole to be filled but I know first hand of two rats quite capable of stepping in there. Actually I hope we do not have so many opportunities to create turnovers because we have a higher offensive efficiency.

Not sure if this is a neutral, negative or positive note but VMI lost the DC (Sean Doyle) this weekend as he moved to Robert Morris. Good luck to him. Outstanding person each time I had anything to do with him. I know at least one person has interviewed who is not an entry level hire.
LandM

Post by LandM »

D&D,
First letter son received was from VMI - dad, I do not think so. In fairness said the same about USMA, USNA, and AFA - love my kid but he would have never made it academically. Good luck to your son and will root for VMI unless against AFA.
Best
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

From Coach B: We are now hosting a Fall scrimmage against SVU on Friday, October 11th (Parent's Weekend) at 7pm. We will most likely do 5 qtrs and everyone will get some minutes by the end. This is open to the public so everyone is welcomed to attend.
No Tilt

Post by No Tilt »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:14 am Not sure if this is a neutral, negative or positive note but VMI lost the DC (Sean Doyle) this weekend as he moved to Robert Morris. Good luck to him. Outstanding person each time I had anything to do with him. I know at least one person has interviewed who is not an entry level hire.
how many assistants have now come --> gone during birsner's tenure?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Not sure exact number but at least one per year by my count. It is a combination experience, pay and opportunity decision. Mostly pay though.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Have a lot of respect for the VMI program,talk about love for the game. Challenging academics, rigorous discipline as an institution, and oh yeah let’s throw in a D1 sport without having a winning tradition. As distant observer over the years watching multiple coaching changes, tepid institutional support and no blue chip or a top 100 recruit it’s inspiring to see how hard the Keydets truly play for their school and one another. They do this year after year despite the very few wins they may pick up over a four year career. That’s mental toughness! I Look forward to seeing this weeks contest with W&L, should be another hard fought game.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

First Fall Ball scrimmage I would judge a success. Game appeared to be run as a regular game with a fifth quarter to play new or players that did not get in.

Though 4 quarters, if it mattered, VMI had 16 goals vs 11.

Observations, in no particular order......

Two FO''s men had basically 100% success at clamp and probably 75% at control. Clear from control needs some work.

Liked what I saw on defense. New DC appears to of installed an improved slide system.

Offense was probably too much isolation driven at first. I think coach saw that as later isolations were rarer. Dramatically fewer unforced turnovers particularly for a Fall Ball game.

Lots of rat play including starting. Crease defense and LSM in particular. Middie too. Probably more but I am still trying to learn new players. (No numbers on front does not help).

W&L next week will of course be different. Of course not sure if VMI has ever had a scrimmage before W&L though. Should be the usual hotly fought mess. (For those who don't know, W&L and VMI basically share a campus to some extent. That does not mean they get along. I can easily say this Fall Ball scrimmage is different than anyone else's.)
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:04 am Have a lot of respect for the VMI program,talk about love for the game. Challenging academics, rigorous discipline as an institution, and oh yeah let’s throw in a D1 sport without having a winning tradition. As distant observer over the years watching multiple coaching changes, tepid institutional support and no blue chip or a top 100 recruit it’s inspiring to see how hard the Keydets truly play for their school and one another. They do this year after year despite the very few wins they may pick up over a four year career. That’s mental toughness! I Look forward to seeing this weeks contest with W&L, should be another hard fought game.
+1
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

2-1 VMI end of first

Entire rat mass and about 1/3 of the rest of the regiment in attendance
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

6-6 half
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

10-8 VMI end of third. First two goal lead for either team.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

New sheriff in Lexington. VMI wins 14-9.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nice win, I believe this is the 4th victory for the Keydets in the series. Hopefully it carries over into the Spring! Congrats.... Did Coach Herring suit up, 14 goals by VMI I’m sure he’s a factor
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Yes only the fourth (4W/29L) and first in 10 years. I won’t get into specifics but here are some unlearned observations:

(A) it great to finally see upperclass leadership and representation. We have a coach and improving program (both related) that makes players work hard, stay around and genuinely excited about lacrosse at VMI.

(B) that being said, the quality of each incoming class has done nothing but improve. While only one rat started in each scrimmage, the quality of the new players is refreshing for VMI and I see more rat starters in the wings pushing the upperclassmen which is the way it should be.

(C) credit where credit is due, Coach Birsner has brought in two diamonds in the rough coordinators that have allowed him to get out of the weeds and be the excellent HC that he is showing he can be.

I don’t want to get too ahead of myself based on the last year and this Fall, but if you understand Lee/Jackson, you understand the significance of last night.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Can anyone post a roster ?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”