PLL Launch (Saturday and Sunday, June 1 and 2)

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
hi2low

Re: PLL Launch (Saturday and Sunday, June 1 and 2)

Post by hi2low »

I am still hopeful that this league will pick up steam over the course of the summer (as they get better with targeted advertising & ticket sales) and will change the narrative of pro lax... although to Luxlax's point it might be time to accept some realities that lax will never be the NHL or even the MLS.

For the speed of the game, I also agree everything is moving too quickly. Very helter-skelter with seemingly little strategy, especially on the defense side of the ball. I'm sure it will take a couple of weeks for the players and coaches to settle in but the 52-second shot clocked and shortened field has left the product feeling rushed.
sadatay

Post by sadatay »

Are these guys really full time with this thing? Are they practicing together throughout the week? Or just on flying in to the next city and practicing Friday nights?
droliver

Post by droliver »

Agree with the analogy of the NBA all star game as it relates to the play. It's almost too up and down the field with no strategy apparent.
DD-Tech

3 GAME ATTENDANCE - PLL WEEKEND JUNE 8-9

Post by DD-Tech »

The Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) announced today an attendance total of 10,773 over three games this past Saturday and Sunday (June 8-9) at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NJ.

https://laxallstars.com/pll-announces-w ... ttendance/

On a positive note I did hear that NY Islanders Play by Play man Brendan Burke is calling games. That alone may get me to tune in to a broadcast. The guy is a gem! https://eyesonisles.com/2019/04/01/new- ... -treasure/
Fanlax999

Post by Fanlax999 »

luxlaxbro wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:50 pm Thoroughly unimpressed with the PLL - and MLL for that matter. I think the harsh reality is that the a professional lacrosse league is just not gonna happen. Lax is a niche sport with a very small fan base compared to soccer, football, baseball, NASCAR etc. Lax has been a " the fasting growing sport" for decades now - if that were the case then there should be no problem w getting the fan base for college or pro league. Even at the college level one is lucky too see may a few thousands fans and then only at a high profile rivalry. Most college games get maybe a couple hundred fans. That fan base is not going to translate to a substantive fan base for a professional league.

The two weekend of PLL that I have watched - quite frankly boring. Clearly they are not drawing fans. Changing cities every week is a bad model - anyone remember LMX pro league - didn't think so. Same model and it failed.

As much as I am a lax fan, it is time for reality to set in - pro lax is a dream that will not make it. Time to watch some baseball and get ready for college football season.

Peace out
Agree with all your points, which are in line with pretty much what I have said all along....But the question(s) is WHY isn't it more popular? What is the REAL root cause of it? Question not directed at you but anyone reading this post. My 2 cents is because it is a niche sport, and a small one at that, relative to the other major or popular sports out there, and really catered and sponsored by the wealthy class, which is relatively small. Lots of kids and parents spend tons of money (over $100K) during their middle school and HS years of playing and recruiting, so by the time they hit post college, they are burnt out and spent out. Plus, the amount of spending by parents/families for lacrosse after hs is very minimal. College kids who play lax in MCLA and even D1, 2 or 3, aren't shelling out 10s of thousands of dollars a year to play or participate. Chasing "the dream" and spending any amount of money needed and demanded to play D1 or college lacrosse is dead by then.

Plus many parents and families only participate and watch the sport in HS and college is because their kids are playing. After that, they have no interest in the sport, and this is particularly true in non-hot bed areas where parents and family never saw lacrosse before their kids played it.
FACEvalue

Post by FACEvalue »

The dramatic rise of club lacrosse means many of us spend countless summer weekends traveling out of town for tournaments. When the PLL rolls around to my town, I will be four hours away. Plus, it takes time to develop an allegiance to a particular professional team. This becomes tougher in PLL given detachment to actual cities and the fact we could only see them in person once a year.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Watching a game on TV and... It's good. So much talent.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Finally caught a game. Whipsnakes vs Archers. Loved the coverage by Brendan Burke and Ryan Boyle. I listen to Burke call 80+ NHL games a year so it felt like home for me. So much better than watching Carc and the other two doing the college games. The camera angles and overall broadcast are great. Talent level is lights out. So pissed that I didn’t set the DVR for extra time. Was a great game that stretched to OT and I missed the final. I will definitely be back for more. Nice job PLL and hope this thing can survive and be around for a while. Can’t let the talent level get diluted.
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

I’ve never been a fan of previous pro lacrosse leagues, but I have to say I’m enjoying PLL. I’m not saying it’s without flaws, but I’m impressed with the talent they’ve assembled, and the coverage has been great.

Some positives:

1) I like seeing players I remember from years past playing with and against each other. Ex: Ben Reeves, Matt Rambo, and Drenner on attack together? That’s just fun even if it doesn’t always work.

2) My son just finished a season of 4th grade tourney lax on attack. He’s not complaining about the lack of cohesive offense- to him, these guys are amazing and he can learn just by watching them cradle, dodge, or shoot. Each game is a skills clinic. He can learn team concepts with his team.

3) Without college games to watch, we are both really enjoying the availability of good summer lacrosse on TV. My son has been to clinics coached by Drew Snider and Kyle Harrison, so to see these guys play on TV is just amazing for him.

Negatives:

1) They need to rein in the fighting or risk looking a little too much like pro wrestling. My son says “really? Another PLL fight??”.

2) The shortened field seems like a solution looking for a problem- is transition difficult for these incredibly fast pros? I think with a slightly longer field an even 60 seconds would be ideal for the shot clock. 52 seconds seems randomly generated.

3) I agree that it’s a bit of a “highlight reel” feeling with not much team unity, but I’m pretty sure we’ll see the teams gel over the next few weeks.

4) Lastly, I wish there was a way to fill the stands a bit more. Maybe they could have promoted ticket sales with package deals to youth clubs? Buy a block of seats for your team or summer camp?
LordRaider

Post by LordRaider »

Here’s an interesting read; interview with Mike Rabil on Inside Lacrosse-

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/i ... ague/54895
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

What happen to Miles Jones? Not a good player. Trying to push him as a starter. Turns it over, cant hit a Barn w the lacrosse ball.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:23 pm What happen to Miles Jones? Not a good player. Trying to push him as a starter. Turns it over, cant hit a Barn w the lacrosse ball.
I watched Myles play as a PG....his ability to feed the ball was and continues to be vastly underrated. I thought it was the best part of his game.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Miles Jones is shooting 13%. Listed w 3 TO’s, which is a joke. Has 3/4 a game. He had a nice assist Sunday. But, speaking w some high end observers I’m on point w my assessment. The league needs live stats & more detail. Yes, it’s the first year. But, umm your on NBC , leave no stone unturned. What does the league talk about ? We had 21 million impressions this weekend. Part of fandom is player critique. The league slants left. Sorry, these guys are looking at Twitter etc and are way too thin skinned. Your pros act like it. Pros get criticized , goes w the territory.
Typical Lax Dad

Mr3Putt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 am Miles Jones is shooting 13%. Listed w 3 TO’s, which is a joke. Has 3/4 a game. He had a nice assist Sunday. But, speaking w some high end observers I’m on point w my assessment. The league needs live stats & more detail. Yes, it’s the first year. But, umm your on NBC , leave no stone unturned. What does the league talk about ? We had 21 million impressions this weekend. Part of fandom is player critique. The league slants left. Sorry, these guys are looking at Twitter etc and are way too thin skinned. Your pros act like it. Pros get criticized , goes w the territory.
Don't recall mentioning his shooting. I thought I mentioned his passing was underrated. Look at his Duke career assist totals.....I never thought much of his ability to score the ball. But always liked his draw and dish game. I am not saying your opinion / observation is wrong....his last three seasons at Duke, his assist totals were, 26, 37 and 37. That's from the midfield. Underrated feeder. That's all I said.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:23 pm What happen to Miles Jones? Not a good player. Trying to push him as a starter. Turns it over, cant hit a Barn w the lacrosse ball.
Oh my, criticizing Mr. Jones??? Just a word to the wise, Mr. Putt, be careful how you choose your words. Not only will you be told you know nothing about lacrosse when criticizing Mr. Jones, you'll likely be labeled a racist as well.
I've seen Mr. Jones play live twice and a couple of more times on TV and every time I've seen him, I've seen what you saw. This is a highly overrated lacrosse player who does not give you an honest effort on a lacrosse field. A very heavy footed player who lacks speed and is pretty much a one faceted player who only wants to play one phase of the game. Despite the hype, that's what I've seen. Agree with TLD though, assists is the strongest part of his game (on days when he feels like playing he can be a force in that respect).
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:00 am
Oh my, criticizing Mr. Jones??? Just a word to the wise, Mr. Putt, be careful how you choose your words. Not only will you be told you know nothing about lacrosse when criticizing Mr. Jones, you'll likely be labeled a racist as well.
I've seen Mr. Jones play live twice and a couple of more times on TV and every time I've seen him, I've seen what you saw. This is a highly overrated lacrosse player who does not give you an honest effort on a lacrosse field. A very heavy footed player who lacks speed and is pretty much a one faceted player who only wants to play one phase of the game. Despite the hype, that's what I've seen. Agree with TLD though, assists is the strongest part of his game (on days when he feels like playing he can be a force in that respect).
You know who is a really good midfielder that I believe to be very much under appreciated? Connor Buczek.
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:30 am Miles Jones is shooting 13%. Listed w 3 TO’s, which is a joke. Has 3/4 a game. He had a nice assist Sunday. But, speaking w some high end observers I’m on point w my assessment. The league needs live stats & more detail. Yes, it’s the first year. But, umm your on NBC , leave no stone unturned. What does the league talk about ? We had 21 million impressions this weekend. Part of fandom is player critique. The league slants left. Sorry, these guys are looking at Twitter etc and are way too thin skinned. Your pros act like it. Pros get criticized , goes w the territory.
You are right, the league is left leaning. I guess that may marginalize some fans. If you are growing something be less political. I would like to watch sports without being preached at.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

The product, so far has been impressive. I have never been into watching box, or the MLL. And, USA lacrosse beating England 32-7 does nothing for me. Playing Canada who is 14 deep is fine. But it’s very old. The 100 yard field concept in the PLL Is wonderful for television! It ignites offense rapidly on the other side of the field.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:04 am
DMac wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:00 am
You know who is a really good midfielder that I believe to be very much under appreciated? Connor Buczek.
Rabil takes a lot of the hype on his team but Buczek has been much better thus far.

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”