https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... -on-espnu/
grelch

Re: Geico Nationals

Post by grelch »

Should be called the internationals.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:29 pm The field is set.

Bullis vs. Hill Academy
Salisbury vs. St. Sebastian's

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... -on-espnu/
Interesting: I could have sworn the GEICO HS Lacrosse Showcase was held at St.Anthony's H.S.on Long Island a few weeks ago.The teams that may or may not have played included:

Saturday April 27th
10am - Haverford vs. Ward Melville
12pm - Darien vs. Seton Hall Prep
2pm - St. Anthony's vs. Lincoln-Sudbury

Sunday April 28
10am - St. Anthony's vs. Darien
12pm - Seton Hall Prep vs. Ward Melville
2pm - Lincoln-Sudbury vs. Haverford

I must have been hallucinating. :shock:
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

No hallucinations. Different tourney. Third year they’ve done it.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 pm No hallucinations. Different tourney. Third year they’ve done it.
Different tournament with such similar names.Interesting!
grelch

Post by grelch »

Here they are side by side.

http://geicolax.com/
Bdawg

Post by Bdawg »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 pm No hallucinations. Different tourney. Third year they’ve done it.
Different tournament with such similar names.Interesting!
Interesting they set this up with big games remaining etc. What would have happened if Deerfield beat Salisbury today, which btw just about happened?
grelch

Post by grelch »

I'm pretty sure that happened last year. Deerfield beat Salisbury right after they were invited.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Same with St. Sebastian's last year. They dropped two games after being invited and came in third in their league. I liked that in the April tournament each team got two games. Doesn't look like there is a third place game for Geico Nationals, which stinks. As a fan of St. Sebastian's/ISL lacrosse, who's hopeful but has pretty realistic expectations of how they'll fare against Salisbury, I'd like to see how they match up against (most likely) Bullis.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Invitations for this go out before the season starts due to the logistics involved. I find it interesting that the field is half of what it was last year. Too bad. I love the concept but the execution is tough given the varying season end dates, state playoff schedules and graduations involved.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

End of May is tough with northern state tournaments underway, southern state seasons already wrapped up for a few weeks, and boarding schools heading home around Memorial Day. Doesn't help that MIAA A teams have no interest in joining. Seems likely that the mid-season event become the event in the future. That seemed to go well and logistically and some great teams got involved. Won't be able to crown "National Champs" but I'll take high-level inter-regional high school games on cable TV however I can get them.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Laxxal--totally agree. The mid-season jamboree is the only one that can fit into all of the teams' schedules. Next step for that one would be to make it a tournament style, but with full consolation rounds so every team is guaranteed a certain number of games.

I just count myself lucky to live in an era when I can watch great high school lacrosse on my phone.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Now there are two "National Championships". Victory and Geico. Hill is playing in both where, if all the stars align, they'll play Salisbury in one and then Culver in the other. Which will/could be meaningful.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

+1 in the mid season format and +20 for ctbag’s comment on how amazing it is we can stream amazing high school games on our phones, just a few years ago people were raptly attached to LAGers on LP with people posting, not texting or tweeting, from games. As for these tourneys, unfortunately Victory is what it was last year, a bunch 4th tier PA privates who aren’t in national top 200, ok Lawrenceville and Hun with Culver, Hill and IMG, 3 great teams, none of who who have to actually schedule sports around a normal academic schedule and thus can play in any of these things. A true mid season tourney with 8 or even 16 teams would be a dream but is unlikely. If we can start with a West-1 tourney, I’ll die happy.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

pcowlax wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:54 pm If we can start with a West-1 tourney, I’ll die happy.
Sigh, if only. This would have been a great year for it (I guess every year would be a great year for it). Salisbury the odds-on favorite, but as DA showed by pushing them to double OT yesterday, the competitiveness among the top teams is off the charts. The fight for the fourth spot in The Tournament That Will Never Happen would have been rough this year. Assuming a four team format, I'd have to check to see if it would be Avon or Taft in that fourth slot. Oh well, maybe next year.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I hadn't heard of this until today, but I imagine it took a lot of momentum away from the Geico Nationals. https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/11 ... 2511123456

Swap the bottom three of that tourney with Salisbury, Bullis, and St. Sebastian's and it'd be pretty close to a prep school Natty.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Interesting. The production staff,Shriver and 5 very good teams managed to show up at St.Anthony's High School on Long Island.It was great weekend of terrific H.S.lacrosse.

A few weeks later, Chaminade H.S. found their way to St. Anthony's and played a lacrosse game. The game was one to remember.IMHO.

Didn't even see a score on FanLax.I posted an article re: this game ,written by a Newsday staff writer,that DISAPPEARED.

Both schools are located on Long Island,N.Y. Not Maryland,not Northern California and not New England.

Again,interesting!
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Murf, I'm sure it was Admin from the grassy knoll.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Personally, I think it's all moot anyhow. I think Culver is probably a step ahead of the rest, but national titles is what they're about after all.
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:09 pm Interesting. The production staff,Shriver and 5 very good teams managed to show up at St.Anthony's High School on Long Island.It was great weekend of terrific H.S.lacrosse.

A few weeks later, Chaminade H.S. found their way to St. Anthony's and played a lacrosse game. The game was one to remember.IMHO.

Didn't even see a score on FanLax.I posted an article re: this game ,written by a Newsday staff writer,that DISAPPEARED.

Both schools are located on Long Island,N.Y. Not Maryland,not Northern California and not New England.

Again,interesting!
I hear you Murf. My bigger "beef" is with IL, who patently disregard most HS lacrosse outside of the MIAA (see the review posted within 24 hours of the MIAA A championship game which was neither interesting nor competitive), though they do give a cursory mention to NE West. I have no dog in the HS lacrosse fight, but I do enjoy reading about great games. I understand its onerous to cover so many regions, but one solution is to hire local correspondents, such as someone from Newsday (or other local papers who cover HS sports). What did it for me was reading about the Geico mid season tournament, and the IL HS correspondent blatantly states his lack of attention to other lacrosse regions. Disappointing to say the least.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”