JHU at ND

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Drcthru

JHU at ND

Post by Drcthru »

Let the pre-game begin :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
44WeWantMore

Re: JHU at ND

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Somebody is going to be unhappy in my extended family. Hope it is the extended part.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
molo

Post by molo »

ND has, as usual, good team although they lack the Near-type dm that they often feature. Goalie started, was benched, and won his job back. Costabile is one of the three top offensive middies in the country. What happened to Gleason against UVA? He left the game with no
explanation from the announcers.
Are the BJs a team of destiny this year or are they the team people thought they were until last week?
Should be fun to watch the coaches on the sidelines.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

the 16-13 matchup
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

stupefied wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:34 pm the 16-13 matchup
What the heck? :roll:

Not what I wrote :oops:
kennypowers

Post by kennypowers »

There is no vaccine for the Epstein-Marr Virus. Hopkins takes this one.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

kennypowers wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:12 pm There is no vaccine for the Epstein-Marr Virus. Hopkins takes this one.
+1 :lol:
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Zinn is inn.
I’m drinking the Kool Aid.
Hopkins by a nose.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

There are no easy games in the NCAA tournament. I think it’s been a while since Hopkins played ND.

Should be a good, tough game.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Drcthru wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:19 pm
kennypowers wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:12 pm There is no vaccine for the Epstein-Marr Virus. Hopkins takes this one.
+1 :lol:
Very well played.
viper

Post by viper »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:11 am There are no easy games in the NCAA tournament. I think it’s been a while since Hopkins played ND.

Should be a good, tough game.

DocBarrister 8-)
If Darby can't stop a shot from beyond 10 yards, Costabile will have a field day. Hopkins has to offset that by continuing with their recently discovered offense from many places beyond Eptstein (Smith, Williams, and the midfielders "with tiny legs" as they have been so nicely called in another forum).
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

On paper this is a very winnable game for the Blue Jays, especially given how they've been playing recently.

Costabile poses some matchup problems for our defensive midfield. But Notre Dame does not have an off-ball guy like O'Keefe and they certainly do not have someone like Ament. They average 11 goals per game and have not scored more than 12 in a month. They have some very good offensive players outside of Costabile—namely Gleason and Morin—but I believe the Hopkins D is fully capable of holding them to roughly their 11-goal average.

ND's faceoff guy Leonard has had a strong year at 59% but the duo of Prouty and Narewski should keep that respectable. They've floated between two goalies, both around 50%—good, not great. Notre Dame's strength, as it always seems to be, is its defense, which is giving up 9.9 goals per game (tied for 10th in the country). Even in a 6-goal loss to Virginia last weekend they still held the Hoos to 10. (In fact they've gone three straight games giving up exactly 10 goals).

The defensive unit of Crance-Cohen-Kielty-Boyer-Schantz is formidable—the Jays will need guys like DeSimone, Baskin, Zinn, Keogh, Smith, etc. to step up if Epstein and Williams are slowed and a transition goal or two certainly won't hurt. I am a bit worried about ND's patented 10-man ride, as Hopkins hasn't historically done well against intense pressure on the ride. This will need to be a big Evan Zinn game I think, both offensively and on the wings/in transition/in the clearing game.

As first round matchups go, this was about the best the Jays could have hoped for. The flight to South Bend and the late Sunday night start isn't ideal but you can't win them all. Two weeks ago no one thought this was possible. Now not only are the Jays in but they're in a game they absolutely 100% should win.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Winnable? Sure. 100% should win? Doubtful.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am Winnable? Sure. 100% should win? Doubtful.
"Should" does not mean "will."
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

I agree. ND rpi and seed overstates a bit. Highlights were edging Maryland in that field house , playing their most complete game in rematch vs Duke in tourney and playing a great first half vs Cuse. Most teams have bouts of in game inconsistencies but ND can play poorly for long stretches and Corrigan annoyance during those periods can tighten some. Capable squad but appears not yet ripened.. Constabile and Gleason are top tier but team is young in some offensive spots and their o is prone to droughts at times. Coming off poor performance vs a UVA squad playing very well and got sliced up, ND D is good n experienced but missing a graduated Sexton lessens and their goalie play has been average. Slight preference for fellow ACC team to win but JHU is playing well right now so expecting them to win. Might be kod
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

stupefied wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:20 am I agree. ND rpi and seed overstates a bit. Highlights were edging Maryland in that field house , playing their most complete game in rematch vs Duke in tourney and playing a great first half vs Cuse. Most teams have bouts of in game inconsistencies but ND can play poorly for long stretches and Corrigan annoyance during those periods can tighten some. Capable squad but appears not yet ripened.. Constabile and Gleason are top tier but team is young in some offensive spots and their o is prone to droughts at times. Coming off poor performance vs a UVA squad playing very well and got sliced up, ND D is good n experienced but missing a graduated Sexton lessens and their goalie play has been average. Slight preference for fellow ACC team to win but JHU is playing well right now so expecting them to win. Might be kod
Average goalie play might be a plus over Hop. Hopkins has played very well over the last three games, but still seem capable of putting up a stinker. Hope not. Go Hop, we want more.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

So Epstein has set a new standard for goals scored by a Blue Jay freshman attackMAN...!!! Who did he surpass...Riordan ?
Next record from the distant past is Billy Morrill's goals / game...and he can do it ! Uncanny skills.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

I have a suspicion that the ND game will play out like the MD game. ND's offense is also slow moving and methodical with a lot of 1 on 1, and dumping the ball.

I like our chances in this game
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

This game will come down to offense, mostly because Notre Dame's offense lacks diversity. If Hopkins plays offense like they have over the last 3 games, they'll win this. They might not score 13+ goals, but Notre Dame will have an awfully tough time scoring. ND's defense is really solid. They have 3 long poles with really good size and athleticism. They have 2 really good, athletic SSDMs. I'm not sure who they have in goal these days because I think they've made a change or two, but their goalies are big kids. Shoot at their feet. ND's ride is also surprisingly effective.

Hopkins traded games in shutting down Maryland's two dynamic dodging threats (Bernhardt in game 1, Fairman in game 2). That will be the blue print against Notre Dame. Can't let Costabile AND Gleason beat you. Take one out, the offense bogs down. Morrin is a surprisingly effective dodger for his size and foot speed, but the attention on Gleason and Costabile is what typically gives Morrin space to operate.

ND is one of two teams that I thought physically matched up well against Maryland (size, athleticism). The other was Ohio State. There won't be much to surprise the Blue Jays.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:32 pm This game will come down to offense, mostly because Notre Dame's offense lacks diversity. If Hopkins plays offense like they have over the last 3 games, they'll win this. They might not score 13+ goals, but Notre Dame will have an awfully tough time scoring. ND's defense is really solid. They have 3 long poles with really good size and athleticism. They have 2 really good, athletic SSDMs. I'm not sure who they have in goal these days because I think they've made a change or two, but their goalies are big kids. Shoot at their feet. ND's ride is also surprisingly effective.

Hopkins traded games in shutting down Maryland's two dynamic dodging threats (Bernhardt in game 1, Fairman in game 2). That will be the blue print against Notre Dame. Can't let Costabile AND Gleason beat you. Take one out, the offense bogs down. Morrin is a surprisingly effective dodger for his size and foot speed, but the attention on Gleason and Costabile is what typically gives Morrin space to operate.

ND is one of two teams that I thought physically matched up well against Maryland (size, athleticism). The other was Ohio State. There won't be much to surprise the Blue Jays.
Nice analysis. Thank you.

Any team that can beat Duke is going to be a tough out, especially on their home field.

Crucial question: Is the Hopkins band going to make this trip? Always thought the band was worth at least a couple of goals. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”