ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by wlaxnut »

All games televised on the ACC Network or streaming on WatchESPN

I'm not a fan of the bracket. I think there should be a re-seeding after each round. But be that as it may--

Wednesday Quarterfinals:

11am - #1 BC vs #8 Louisville
2pm - #4 Syracuse vs #5 Virginia
5pm - #2 UNC vs #7 VT
8pm - #3 ND vs #6 Duke

Friday Semifinals: 5pm and 8pm

Sunday Final: 1pm

This is BC's tournament to lose. They have proven they can beat all the teams in the conference with a moderate degree of ease/effort. I'm not saying any one of these higher seeded teams couldn't surprise the Eagles, but on paper, BC should come out on top (and hopefully uninjured) to take a last shot at The Championship.

There could be an interesting semifinal in the bottom of the bracket if both UNC and ND advance as they should. I think UNC gets revenge but one never knows. The earlier game was played in frigid South Bend and if memory serves there were even a few snow squalls. No such weather this time around although there may be some rain. On the other half, Syracuse/Virginia is no slam dunk for the Orange. But that all depends on which UVA team shows up. Syracuse/Virginia vs BC in the semi's will be a test but the Eagles just have too much talent to shut down on offense, and a tenacious ride to make you turn the ball over, a formidable tandem on the draw with Apuzzo and Reitano, and a hot aggressive goalie in Abbey Ngai. Too much talent to think either of these teams will surprise BC.

It will be UNC vs BC in the final with BC winning their first ACC Championship. That's my prediction as well as my hope.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Tact

Re: ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:51 am All games televised on the ACC Network or streaming on WatchESPN

I'm not a fan of the bracket. I think there should be a re-seeding after each round. But be that as it may--

Wednesday Quarterfinals:

11am - #1 BC vs #8 Louisville
2pm - #4 Syracuse vs #5 Virginia
5pm - #2 UNC vs #7 VT
8pm - #3 ND vs #6 Duke
That Cuse/UVA game is gonna be interesting....cant think either team wanted that as a first round matchup. I think Cuse wins, but...wouldnt be surprised if the Hoos pull the upset..

Although they got spanked by UNC, Duke could upset ND. ND showed they are vulnerable to a team that out draws them....If there is something Duke can do well it is draw controls. Still think the domers make to next round.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

#1 BC vs #8 Louisville -- Cards revisiting the bad dream of Saturday.

#4 Syracuse vs #5 Virginia -- Agreed, Doc -- this is a game that will take a lot out of both teams and particularly the winner. I don't know what to think here; Syracuse hasn't looked good recently, and UVA appears to take a half off every game or so, and then play pretty well the other half. I gotta go with Cuse, 15-13.

#2 UNC vs #7 VT -- I admire VT's energy, but I think UNC rolls through this one by a comfortable margin of 5-7.

#3 ND vs #6 Duke -- I think Notre Dame is going to beat Duke handily, after the relatively humbling defeat at home by Northwestern.
BigRedMachine

Post by BigRedMachine »

- BC/Louisville; Gee I wonder!

- UVA/Orange; I'm bucking the trend and picking the Hoos. Syracuse has looked susceptible down the stretch, squeeking by a few teams and getting pounded by Carolina. Yes I know they won the first UVA game by 5 goals but that was then, this is now.

- UNC/VATech; Although the Hokies have showed some bite recently can't bet against Carolina.

- ND/Duke; Duke loaded their schedule with a bunch of lower rated teams so they could assure a winning record and a berth into the NCAA. It's backfired, they won't! Their superior draw control skill has netted them zero top twenty wins and it's not starting now. By the way the first ND/Duke game saw McDonogh teammate's Andie Aldave and Savannah Buchanan outdraw their former McDonogh teammate's Olivia and Maddie Jenner 13-4.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:29 am #4 Syracuse vs #5 Virginia -- Agreed, Doc -- this is a game that will take a lot out of both teams and particularly the winner. I don't know what to think here; Syracuse hasn't looked good recently, and UVA appears to take a half off every game or so, and then play pretty well the other half. I gotta go with Cuse, 15-13.
Yeah, full Jekyll and Hyde team there with UVA....But that is them historically. Never have that full 60 minutes. But, Cuse could stumble...not that it matters too much as I think either team loses in the next round, but it could mean something on the NCAA bids.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:29 am #1 BC vs #8 Louisville -- Cards revisiting the bad dream of Saturday.
Nightmare on Beacon St part 2
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I will say you his: BC will try to get a cushion that rests starters early. A good game has the starters out with 10:00 to go.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

- UVA/Orange; I'm bucking the trend and picking the Hoos. Syracuse has looked susceptible down the stretch, squeeking by a few teams and getting pounded by Carolina. Yes I know they won the first UVA game by 5 goals but that was then, this is now.

Yeah, I have this feeling too. But my pal from Liverpool would be unhappy with me if I said other than Cuse, or suggested I preferred shorts.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

refs keeping a lid on things 10 mins into Louisville vs BC 2.0
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Kenzie Kent on the sidelines in sweats. All the announcer said about it before the game was that she wasn’t starting. Uh-oh...
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:34 am Kenzie Kent on the sidelines in sweats. All the announcer said about it before the game was that she wasn’t starting. Uh-oh...
If she isn't even dressed, I think it's safe to say that she is not only not starting, but not playing at all. Hope it's nothing serious!
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Okay, that’s now three yellow cards for Louisville in the first 14 minutes of the game. Vicious cross check on Christina Walsh, stick to the face of Sam Apuzzo. Maybe they are thugs after all.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hope they can move the camera up another 150' or so.
Geezuz H!!!
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:24 pm Hope they can move the camera up another 150' or so.
Geezuz H!!!
I know, I thought they were too far away too. I have a lot of problems with the broadcast. The field mics are cranked up way too high. No shot clock on the score/time remaining banner. I’m not overly impressed with the announcing duo either. Pretty low standard for an ACC conference tournament.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You gotta believe!!!! Impressive first half by the Cuse. Am once again concerned about Francophile, could very well have passed out from an OD of delight in Cuse's draw dominance in the first thirty minutes.
Announcers are okay but they aint no Ashtyn.

Uh oh, different team has come out for Va in the second half. More intensity, got the mo, put the first two of the half in (make that three...Cuse on their heels right now). Gonna be a tough twenty some odd minutes.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Orange giving me heartburn.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Indeed! Valliant effort by Virginia in the second half, Cuse withstantds the intense attack and wins it 12-10. Seemed to me as if Va never put enough pressure on the Cuse on the ride all day, made it too easy to get the ball down field. Nice job in cage by Goldstock again today, also on the DCs by a few Cuse gals.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Same old Hoos—no guts no glory too little too late.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

I've just not seen UVA play a game for 60 minutes -- which is one thing that distinguishes it from BC.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

So BC v. Syracuse and UNC v. Duke...and a UNC-BC final. Semis are Friday evening.

Curious why UNC didn't rest starters a bit, and instead left them in for some monster stat-padding.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”