23 - Army
24- Rutgers
25- Yale
26- Coastal Carolina
27- VA Tech
28- UConn
29- Towson
30- Stanford
Last edited by LaxDadMax on Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Re: USA Lacrosse Magazine's Way Early 2024 Rankings

Post by Bart »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:55 pm
Brownlax wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:55 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:00 pm 1 - Northwestern
2 - BC
3 - Carolina
4 - Denver
5 - Syracuse
6 - Maryland
7 - Notre Dame
8 - James Madison
9 - Loyola
10 - Stony Brook
11 - Florida
12 - Johns Hopkins
13 - Army
14 - Penn St
15 - Michigan
16 - Penn
17 - USC
18 - Virginia
19 - UMass
20 - Princeton
21 - Duke
22 - Navy
23 - Jacksonville
24 - Marquette
25 - UConn
Notre Dame is ranked way too high!
If I had a vote

1 - Northwestern
2 - BC
3- Cuse
4 - Syracuse
5 - Carolina
6 - Denver
7 - James Madison
8 - Stony Brook
9 - Maryland
10 - Notre Dame
11 - USC
12 - Florida
13 - Johns Hopkins
14 - Virginia
15 - Duke
16 - Loyola
17 - Michigan
18 - Penn
19 - Jacksonville
20 - Richmond
21- Nova
22 - UMass
23 - Princeton
24 - Army
25- Rutgers
26- Yale
27- Coastal Carolina
28- VA Tech
29- UConn
30 Towson
Wow….the orange are so good to take both 3 and 4…….lol
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Bart wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:03 pm
2 - BC
3 - Carolina
4 - Denver
5 - Syracuse
6 - Maryland
7 - Notre Dame
8 - James Madison
9 - Loyola
10 - Stony Brook
11 - Florida
12 - Johns Hopkins
13 - Army
14 - Penn St
15 - Michigan
16 - Penn
17 - USC
18 - Virginia
19 - UMass
20 - Princeton
21 - Duke
22 - Navy
23 - Jacksonville
24 - Marquette
25 - UConn
If I had a vote

1 - Northwestern
2 - BC
3- Cuse
4 - Syracuse
5 - Carolina
6 - Denver
7 - James Madison
8 - Stony Brook
9 - Maryland
10 - Notre Dame
11 - USC
12 - Florida
13 - Johns Hopkins
14 - Virginia
15 - Duke
16 - Loyola
17 - Michigan
18 - Penn
19 - Jacksonville
20 - Richmond
21- Nova
22 - UMass
23 - Princeton
24 - Army
25- Rutgers
26- Yale
27- Coastal Carolina
28- VA Tech
29- UConn
30 Towson
Wow….the orange are so good to take both 3 and 4…….lol
thanks. fixed it
Womenslaxxfan

Re: Beef with the polls

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

So much to unpack.

Notre dame was an elite 8 team last year and got better t through the portal. Arden Tierney, for those of you who haven’t watched much of Richmond, is a legit player with elite vision. Shutting off wolack won’t work as well as last year bc Tierney can create and feed too…I don’t like Irish particularly, but I think they will be a top 8 team again this year.

I think Denver was a one year wonder. I don’t see them playing Memorial Day weekend again. Their defense will not be nearly as good as last year without thacker, and teams will be REALLY well prepared for them this year. I think they will struggle to crack the top 10. Their offensive talent isn’t top 4 even with pennoyer and early added to the mix.

Loyola lost a lot in Jillian Wilson. She had 198 draw controls last year. 198!!! Adams seems to get them to play great, but I think they will have a down year.

To me, JMU is poised to get back to Memorial Day weekend. They lost Maired durkin, but I thought she was more “special” in the clear than in team defense. They return Petersen, jankowski and epke on offense—and this team is always well coached and prepared.

Maryland is a mystery to me. They could be a final four team or struggle to make top 10. I suspect they will beat enough top teams to be ranked in the top 10, even if they lose a couple of strange ones.

I see stony Brook out of the top 10. Their talent level has been declining since the glory days of the ohmiller sisters and ally Kennedy. Spallina is another great motivator and coach, but I think they lack the top end talent to beat the best. Like last year….

As for who could make the jump into the top 10? Florida. Yea they lost lopinto but they got Sarah elms from Albany and she can flat out score. Put her with pavanelli and they will be tough to defend.

Penn state and jhu looked very dangerous at times and return most of their key pieces. I can see either of them having more impressive seasons than stony Brook, Denver, or Loyola.

But it’s going to be very hard to for anyone to push past NU, BC, UNC and Cuse in my opinion. Lots of people have talked about nu and bc—but unc should be miles better on offense this year while their defense will continue to be stout. The offense looked out of sync at times last year—but with the addition of Chloe and Ashley Humphrey, they will be much more creative and versitile. I am NOT a Carolina fan, but it would not surprise me at all to see them playing on Memorial Day.

Can’t wait to revisit all of this in January!!!!!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:16 pm So much to unpack.

Notre dame was an elite 8 team last year and got better t through the portal. Arden Tierney, for those of you who haven’t watched much of Richmond, is a legit player with elite vision. Shutting off wolack won’t work as well as last year bc Tierney can create and feed too…I don’t like Irish particularly, but I think they will be a top 8 team again this year.
Agreed.
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:16 pm I think Denver was a one year wonder. I don’t see them playing Memorial Day weekend again. Their defense will not be nearly as good as last year without thacker, and teams will be REALLY well prepared for them this year. I think they will struggle to crack the top 10. Their offensive talent isn’t top 4 even with pennoyer and early added to the mix.
Disagree here. I think Denver will be in and around the top 5-ish all season. I can see them getting back to the final weekend but I wouldn't bet my house on it. They should be a more confident bunch after what they accomplished last year. I see their defensive system being so good that graduating one major league stud on defense won't lessen them that much.
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:16 pm Loyola lost a lot in Jillian Wilson. She had 198 draw controls last year. 198!!! Adams seems to get them to play great, but I think they will have a down year.
And on defense, they lost Detwiler, as well. Agreed--they'll have a down year.
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:16 pm To me, JMU is poised to get back to Memorial Day weekend. They lost Maired durkin, but I thought she was more “special” in the clear than in team defense. They return Petersen, jankowski and epke on offense—and this team is always well coached and prepared.
Agreed on the whole, though I'm not sure they have enough to get to the last weekend. Note: Jankowski graduated
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:16 pm Maryland is a mystery to me. They could be a final four team or struggle to make top 10. I suspect they will beat enough top teams to be ranked in the top 10, even if they lose a couple of strange ones.
I don't see their offense threatening enough to make it back to The Weekend. They lost at least three to the portal in Demma Hall (to Clemson), Natalie Pansini (to Jacksonville) and Emma Muchnick (to Syracuse). Plus, they have developed a bad habit over the last couple years of not being able to hold a lead in the NCAA's. Sure, they gained big help on defense with Ball and Halus but they also lost defenders Bosco, Donovan and Sanchez.
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:16 pm I see stony Brook out of the top 10. Their talent level has been declining since the glory days of the ohmiller sisters and ally Kennedy. Spallina is another great motivator and coach, but I think they lack the top end talent to beat the best. Like last year….
Agreed.
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:16 pm As for who could make the jump into the top 10? Florida. Yea they lost lopinto but they got Sarah elms from Albany and she can flat out score. Put her with pavanelli and they will be tough to defend.
Sarah Falk, you mean. They also picked up Georgia Hoey (Sr., UConn), Maria Pansini (Gr., Princeton) and Hannah Heller (Gr., UMass). I can certainly see them staying in the Top 10. I don't see them getting back to The Weekend anytime soon (last trip there was way back in 2012) because of the coaching deficiency.
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:16 pm Penn state and jhu looked very dangerous at times and return most of their key pieces. I can see either of them having more impressive seasons than stony Brook, Denver, or Loyola.
Can't go along with you here. Yes, both looked dangerous at times but I don't see them making the big jump over the three other teams you mentioned. All three are too well coached to have that big a dropoff.
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:16 pm But it’s going to be very hard to for anyone to push past NU, BC, UNC and Cuse in my opinion. Lots of people have talked about nu and bc—but unc should be miles better on offense this year while their defense will continue to be stout. The offense looked out of sync at times last year—but with the addition of Chloe and Ashley Humphrey, they will be much more creative and versitile. I am NOT a Carolina fan, but it would not surprise me at all to see them playing on Memorial Day.

Can’t wait to revisit all of this in January!!!!!
I'm not so sure Syracuse stays in the top four. The Meg show has graduated, and to a lesser degree, Cockerille. That's 3 of their top 6 scorers gone. I don't think they just snap their fingers and replace that kind of firepower in one offseason. Not convinced on Carolina but it wouldn't shock me if you're right either.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

This is the fun part. Prognostication…and then reality!!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:20 pm This is the fun part. Prognostication…and then reality!!
True, true. Helps the offseason to pass.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Preseason polls are just for fun. in Women's lax we usually..keyword..usually..know who the elite teams are. But there are always a few surprises. I agree with CUSE. Last year was their year because that was the strongest team they've had in some time and they won't have another team like that for awhile. They didn't land huge transfers like BC to help offset their losses. Still a talented team. i would have them 6 or 7.

People forget UNC was running riot at points last season before flaming out late in the season. and that was a very young team everyone expected to have a bad year following their post championship exodus. The inexperience did them in but on paper this is the most talented in the country. All those little freshmen will have seasoned. They didn't lose much. And added The Humphrey sisters. Ashley is a proven star and Chloe is as elite as it comes and will elevate the team. But for now i would have UNC behind NW and BC
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:43 pm Preseason polls are just for fun. in Women's lax we usually..keyword..usually..know who the elite teams are. But there are always a few surprises. I agree with CUSE. Last year was their year because that was the strongest team they've had in some time and they won't have another team like that for awhile. They didn't land huge transfers like BC to help offset their losses. Still a talented team. i would have them 6 or 7.
Well said, Kle. Syracuse landed Mackenzie Rich (R-So., NC) and Emma Muchnick (So., Maryland) from the portal. Not sure beyond those two.
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:43 pm People forget UNC was running riot at points last season before flaming out late in the season. and that was a very young team everyone expected to have a bad year following their post championship exodus. The inexperience did them in but on paper this is the most talented in the country. All those little freshmen will have seasoned. They didn't lose much. And added The Humphrey sisters. Ashley is a proven star and Chloe is as elite as it comes and will elevate the team. But for now i would have UNC behind NW and BC
Running riot? C'mon. Against who? Their big "running riot" win was the trouncing of BC in early March, who they then lost to for the ACC championship. They had the lead vs BC in the ACC final after the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters only to blow the game in the 4th. Same thing they did vs Denver in the NCAA quarters. Their win over Syracuse in the ACC semi's was good but who else were their big wins?

I have them behind NU, BC and Denver.

On paper. Thank goodness the games are played on actual fields and not paper. "Proven star." "Elite as they come." Until they prove their mettle against the elite powers in the NCAA's when the chips are down and nerves are as tight as a bass string ready to snap. When they can do that and keep their cool and come through in the clutch--then the accolades will have meaning. Until then, they're just numbers, stats and data for the analytics boys to goggle and google over.

Plus, the team wasn't that young:

By the way, you're due for a good Stanford rant. One of the best events on these boards, right up there with ol' Fenny when he starts waxing poetic about the rippling white flagged beauties flying on Crab Cake Hill or wherever...
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

2 - BC
3 - Carolina
4 - Denver
5 - Syracuse
6 - Maryland
7 - Notre Dame
8 - James Madison
9 - Loyola
10 - Stony Brook
11 - Florida
12 - Johns Hopkins
13 - Army
14 - Penn St
15 - Michigan
16 - Penn
17 - USC
18 - Virginia
19 - UMass
20 - Princeton
21 - Duke
22 - Navy
23 - Jacksonville
24 - Marquette
25 - UConn
If I had a vote

1 - Northwestern
2 - BC
3- Cuse
4 - Carolina
5 - Denver
6 - James Madison
7 - Stony Brook
8 - Maryland
9 - Notre Dame
10 - USC
11 - Florida
12 - Hopkins
13 - Virginia
14 - Duke
15 - Loyola
16 - Michigan
17 - Penn
18 - Jacksonville
19 - Richmond
20- Nova
21 - UMass
22 - Princeton
23 - Army
24- Rutgers
25- Yale
26- Coastal Carolina
27- VA Tech
28- UConn
29- Towson
30- Stanford
Coastal near the top 25. Would love to see that but they just lost their big gun to V Tech.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Relax77 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:36 pm Coastal near the top 25. Would love to see that but they just lost their big gun to V Tech.
Yeah--Kayla Downey. Far and away their big gun. I didn't realize Downey started her college playing days in 2020 at Stony Brook. I hope she does well. Virginia Tech will certainly appreciate her added scoring punch.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:54 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:43 pm Preseason polls are just for fun. in Women's lax we usually..keyword..usually..know who the elite teams are. But there are always a few surprises. I agree with CUSE. Last year was their year because that was the strongest team they've had in some time and they won't have another team like that for awhile. They didn't land huge transfers like BC to help offset their losses. Still a talented team. i would have them 6 or 7.
Well said, Kle. Syracuse landed Mackenzie Rich (R-So., NC) and Emma Muchnick (So., Maryland) from the portal. Not sure beyond those two.
Kleizaster wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:43 pm People forget UNC was running riot at points last season before flaming out late in the season. and that was a very young team everyone expected to have a bad year following their post championship exodus. The inexperience did them in but on paper this is the most talented in the country. All those little freshmen will have seasoned. They didn't lose much. And added The Humphrey sisters. Ashley is a proven star and Chloe is as elite as it comes and will elevate the team. But for now i would have UNC behind NW and BC
Running riot? C'mon. Against who? Their big "running riot" win was the trouncing of BC in early March, who they then lost to for the ACC championship. They had the lead vs BC in the ACC final after the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarters only to blow the game in the 4th. Same thing they did vs Denver in the NCAA quarters. Their win over Syracuse in the ACC semi's was good but who else were their big wins?

I have them behind NU, BC and Denver.

On paper. Thank goodness the games are played on actual fields and not paper. "Proven star." "Elite as they come." Until they prove their mettle against the elite powers in the NCAA's when the chips are down and nerves are as tight as a bass string ready to snap. When they can do that and keep their cool and come through in the clutch--then the accolades will have meaning. Until then, they're just numbers, stats and data for the analytics boys to goggle and google over.

Plus, the team wasn't that young:

By the way, you're due for a good Stanford rant. One of the best events on these boards, right up there with ol' Fenny when he starts waxing poetic about the rippling white flagged beauties flying on Crab Cake Hill or wherever...
You failed to list the attackers and a few midfielders who were freshman. Yes, they have some upper class players who don't necessarily see much of the field. We know, you don't like Carolina. Didn't you make a nice quiet exodus? you're back?... :roll:
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:36 pm

Coastal near the top 25. Would love to see that but they just lost their big gun to V Tech.
They were far from a one girl team last year and 4 of top 5 scorers will be back. They have their strongest recruiting class ever and their 2024 class is even better. They are getting girls who 2 years again they would have had no chance with, including a girl from Long Island who should be instant impact.

For CCU, it's a matter of when, not if, they break into top 20. If not this year, certainly within two year.
MM1980

Post by MM1980 »

2 - BC
3 - Carolina
4 - Denver
5 - Syracuse
6 - Maryland
7 - Notre Dame
8 - James Madison
9 - Loyola
10 - Stony Brook
11 - Florida
12 - Johns Hopkins
13 - Army
14 - Penn St
15 - Michigan
16 - Penn
17 - USC
18 - Virginia
19 - UMass
20 - Princeton
21 - Duke
22 - Navy
23 - Jacksonville
24 - Marquette
25 - UConn
If I had a vote

1 - Northwestern
2 - BC
3- Cuse
4 - Carolina
5 - Denver
6 - James Madison
7 - Stony Brook
8 - Maryland
9 - Notre Dame
10 - USC
11 - Florida
12 - Hopkins
13 - Virginia
14 - Duke
15 - Loyola
16 - Michigan
17 - Penn
18 - Jacksonville
19 - Richmond
20- Nova
21 - UMass
22 - Princeton
23 - Army
24- Rutgers
25- Yale
26- Coastal Carolina
27- VA Tech
28- UConn
29- Towson
30- Stanford
Love this way too early preseason distraction. Tell me more about Villanova at 20. I'm intrigued.
MM1980

Post by MM1980 »

2 - BC
3 - Carolina
4 - Denver
5 - Syracuse
6 - Maryland
7 - Notre Dame
8 - James Madison
9 - Loyola
10 - Stony Brook
11 - Florida
12 - Johns Hopkins
13 - Army
14 - Penn St
15 - Michigan
16 - Penn
17 - USC
18 - Virginia
19 - UMass
20 - Princeton
21 - Duke
22 - Navy
23 - Jacksonville
24 - Marquette
25 - UConn
If I had a vote

1 - Northwestern
2 - BC
3- Cuse
4 - Carolina
5 - Denver
6 - James Madison
7 - Stony Brook
8 - Maryland
9 - Notre Dame
10 - USC
11 - Florida
12 - Hopkins
13 - Virginia
14 - Duke
15 - Loyola
16 - Michigan
17 - Penn
18 - Jacksonville
19 - Richmond
20- Nova
21 - UMass
22 - Princeton
23 - Army
24- Rutgers
25- Yale
26- Coastal Carolina
27- VA Tech
28- UConn
29- Towson
30- Stanford

I think Stanford is done. No way they crack the top 30.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”