Maryland 12 Syracuse 11 OT

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Maryland 12 Syracuse 11 OT

Post by wlaxnut »

This was a real battle. A well contested game that could have gone either way right to the end. And yet I felt like Syracuse blew a few opportunities late--kind of choked a little bit, and Maryland seized their chance when Syracuse wasn’t polished enough, or nervy enough, or experienced enough, or whatever, to deliver in crunch time.
That’s what the great teams do, though--if you can’t cash in your opportunities, they usually cash in theirs.

Syracuse was definitely unlucky, though. In overtime Emily Hawryschuk drove to the top of the 8 meter when her defender, Julia Braig, slipped to the ground leaving her completely uncovered. It seemed Hawryschuk had a clear shot at the goal, and she began winding up to shoot, when right at that instant, Lizzie Colson rushed into the gap putting her directly into Hawryschuk's shooting space. It would clearly have been a dangerous shot if she followed through so she held up, but as her stick movement had already started forward, the ball left her stick and floated harmlessly into goaltender Megan Taylor's stick. Hawryschuk put her hands up in the air as if to say, “Where's my shooting space?” but the refs let the play go on. I think Hawryschuk was correct. Shooting space should have been called. That could easily have been the game right there with Hawryschuk shooting from the center hash with a golden opportunity to end Maryland's 79 game home unbeaten streak.

Maryland certainly left the door open for Syracuse to win it a few times at the end of regulation and in overtime, but the Orange just couldn't deliver the knockout. The Terps cashed in on a beautiful feed from Warther to Hartshorn for the game winner halfway through the 2nd half of overtime.

I think Syracuse is definitely for real, but I just don't think they have what it takes to beat the Big Three. They'll get another shot a little over a month from now at North Carolina--but so far, they are 0 and 2 against the Elite Three.
Turtles Lax

What a game!

Post by Turtles Lax »

This match featured some stellar goaltending and some phenomenal shooting. Both sides.

A good, clean game...but OP’s interpretation of the play by the Da’Cuse player hardly matches what TL saw in person...and in the replays. :|

TL predicted a Turtles’ W, of course, but admittedly was a bit worried at the end.

That is all.

Beer the Turtle. 8-)

Peace, out.

TL
seacoaster

Re: Maryland 12 Syracuse 11 OT

Post by seacoaster »

Let’s see the replay.
Francophile

Post by Francophile »

Rosted on draw controls again: MD 18 SU 8. Anywhere near 50% and SU wins.
Francophile

Post by Francophile »

Roasted on draw controls again: MD 18 SU 8. Anywhere near 50% and SU wins.
Francophile

Post by Francophile »

Francophile wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:59 pm Roasted on draw controls again: MD 18 SU 8. Anywhere near 50% and SU wins.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:07 pm Let’s see the replay.
Here it is:

https://youtu.be/gJ7WiXE9NS4

When Maryland defender Julia Braig slips to the ground while trying to cover Syracuse's Emily Hawryschuk, #25 Lizzie Colson rushes into the breach which should have been called shooting space. It's easy to see Colson was in shooting space--she obviously turned her head when Hawryschuk was winding up to shoot.
Turtles Lax

Maybe?

Post by Turtles Lax »

Good video...and see what you mean.

NOT stripes so TL’s opinion matters nary a whit...

Hope some stripes chime in...

Peace, out.

TL
Last edited by Turtles Lax on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Re: Maybe?

Post by wlaxnut »

Turtles Lax wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:46 pm Good video...and see what you mean.
Thank you, kind sir.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:22 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:07 pm Let’s see the replay.
Here it is:

https://youtu.be/gJ7WiXE9NS4

When Maryland defender Julia Braig slips to the ground while trying to cover Syracuse's Emily Hawryschuk, #25 Lizzie Colson rushes into the breach which should have been called shooting space. It's easy to see Colson was in shooting space--she obviously turned her head when Hawryschuk was winding up to shoot.
The old saying "nuts & bolts, nuts & bolts..." comes to mind.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

No question; stop the video at 15 seconds and Colson is simply charging in Hawryschuk's shooting space. Really bad non-call.

And Hawryschuk did exactly what the rules require in the situation. Really bad non-call.

Thanks for the video wlaxnut.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:44 am No question; stop the video at 15 seconds and Colson is simply charging in Hawryschuk's shooting space. Really bad non-call.

And Hawryschuk did exactly what the rules require in the situation. Really bad non-call.

Thanks for the video wlaxnut.
You’re welcome, seacoaster. I enjoy editing so it’s always my pleasure to get a replay if I have access to the game broadcast.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Francophile wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:59 pm Rosted on draw controls again: MD 18 SU 8. Anywhere near 50% and SU wins.
Based on those numbers, conventional wisdom would say Cuse got blown out...face offs win games (well, maybe).
Didn't see the game (don't see it listed on ESPN's replays either...anywhere you can see a replay of this one?), but I see that clip of the no shooting space call....THE CUSE GOT ROBBED!!!!! That's a big no call, could be a game changer. Gotta have a lot of confidence in #51 on the FPS, was in a mighty sweet spot too.
Cuse walks away with the L but if there's such a thing, it's one of those good Ls, Cuse has proven they can hang with big gals. Lotta season left.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:39 am
Francophile wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:59 pm Rosted on draw controls again: MD 18 SU 8. Anywhere near 50% and SU wins.
Based on those numbers, conventional wisdom would say Cuse got blown out...face offs win games (well, maybe).
Didn't see the game (don't see it listed on ESPN's replays either...anywhere you can see a replay of this one?), but I see that clip of the no shooting space call....THE CUSE GOT ROBBED!!!!! That's a big no call, could be a game changer. Gotta have a lot of confidence in #51 on the FPS, was in a mighty sweet spot too.
Cuse walks away with the L but if there's such a thing, it's one of those good Ls, Cuse has proven they can hang with big gals. Lotta season left.
Ditto to all.

You can see the replay here:

www.btn2go.com

It's a monthly paid subscription of either $10 if you want access to just one team--or $15 if you want access to all the Big Ten teams' games.

=================================================================================
Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 8.00.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 8.00.46 AM.png (160.51 KiB) Viewed 4086 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanx, wlax.
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

Wow that was the definition of shooting space and why it exists. I hate when the refs change the outcomes of games.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

shootingspace wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:58 am Wow that was the definition of shooting space and why it exists. I hate when the refs change the outcomes of games.
Well, if anyone would know about shooting space . . .

I totally agree that it was a blown call, but I can imagine the reason that the refs blew it may be that at least Colson had the stick in her outstretched right hand as if her body were outside the shooting space cone and she was merely thrusting her stick in front of the shooter. Of course, that's not the case -- her body was clearly in the way. I bet that if her stick had not been outstretched, the refs would have called SS.
laxmom22

Post by laxmom22 »

Remember the refs aren’t necessarily seeing the same angle as the camera.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Sometimes it’s a tough call. Sometimes it’s not. Colson runs completely and directly into the space earned by 51. It was 11-11 at the time. Three officials on the field. Really bad no-call.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:21 am Sometimes it’s a tough call. Sometimes it’s not. Colson runs completely and directly into the space earned by 51. It was 11-11 at the time. Three officials on the field. Really bad no-call.
I was thinking the same thing. If all three officials, who are there specifically to watch the action and make the correct calls, ALL missed the call, In Overtime—what are they doing there in the first place?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”