Correlation between players' high school programs and success of their college teams

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PizzaSnake

Correlation between players' high school programs and success of their college teams

Post by PizzaSnake »

Has anyone examined the success of a player's high school program vis-à-vis the success of their college teams? Or, "do winners make winners"? I am exploring a little theory as to why Penn has such good recruits but limited success.

My first data point, Simon Mathias of Penn, revealed that while he was individually successful in CT high school lacrosse at Ridgefield, Ridgefield has been a consistent runner-up to Darien and Wilson in the state championships.

Contrasting Simon I cite Chris Flynn who attended Penn Charter HS in suburban Philly in the early '80s, a traditional state power with 5 state championships. Despite Flynn's small stature, 5'7", 190 lbs., he excelled at lacrosse and football, albeit in a league more appropriate to his size, although he was invited to try out for the New England Patriots.

Another Philly native of that era, Gabby Roe of Episcopal Academy (UVa) is another case. Not unbelievably skilled ("I didn't have unbelievable stick skills or great speed. I was more of a grinder. I'd win a faceoff, get a few loose balls, push some people around and get the ball to Gary Gait or Tommy Marechek") -- yet a winner.

Why do some win?

Has this topic been explored here?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
10stone5

Re: Correlation between players' high school programs and success of their college teams

Post by 10stone5 »

Chris Flynn was unreal.
A once in a lifetime athlete.

I was fortunate enough to know the son of a Penn Alumni, secretary or treasurer or some such position.
So we got to see Penn Football and Lacrosse during the Flynn Seaman era.
Mr3Putt

Re: Correlation between players' high school programs and success of their college teams

Post by Mr3Putt »

@Penn under Seaman the size of the entire team was 6’2 across the board in the late 80’s ( just a thought ) . This year they have played a good schedule. The old saying, best 0-3 team in lacrosse. Definitely certain HS programs that pump kids out.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Maybe it's more a factor in early college success. A given player, say a 'big fish in a small hs pond', may take longer to mature at the bigger/faster/stronger college level (main variables for any player from any hs program being commitment and coaching) than someone who played top national opponents in hs, where the next level, while a big step up, isn't a wall.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”