World Soccer

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: World Soccer

Post by ardilla secreta »

Another wild EPL weekend.

Liverpool, really good at home, on road not so good. Gotta appreciate the effort by Bournemouth.

Good to see Newcastle get back to winning though like Leicester and West Ham in the past, they’ll unfortunately not finish in the top four.

Nice win by Arsenal, good to see Jesus back with the team.

Casimiro of Man U doing a bang up job of getting red cards. Baffling.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Tottenham, oh Tottenham, a team that burns through managers find themselves again seeking a new one. Or an old old one in the form of Poch? Personally, I like Luis Enrique, with Spanish managers having done so well lately in the EPL. Then there's Nagelsmann, recently axed by Bayern Munich despite apparent success there. I guess Spurs are in no rush, even though they sit precariously in 4th place having played more games than the teams directly below them. Fine, get this decision right, please; not some defensive-minded big name whose last success was long ago (meaning not another Jose Mourinho or Antonio Conte). Up next for the lilywhites: a Monday visit to under-achieving Everton; on paper, it looks winnable, but Tottenham always seem to slip up and get paper cuts. COME ON YOU SPURS!
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:08 am Tottenham, oh Tottenham, a team that burns through managers find themselves again seeking a new one. Or an old old one in the form of Poch? Personally, I like Luis Enrique, with Spanish managers having done so well lately in the EPL. Then there's Nagelsmann, recently axed by Bayern Munich despite apparent success there. I guess Spurs are in no rush, even though they sit precariously in 4th place having played more games than the teams directly below them. Fine, get this decision right, please; not some defensive-minded big name whose last success was long ago (meaning not another Jose Mourinho or Antonio Conte). Up next for the lilywhites: a Monday visit to under-achieving Everton; on paper, it looks winnable, but Tottenham always seem to slip up and get paper cuts. COME ON YOU SPURS!
I'd like them to look hard at Enrique too.
ardilla secreta

FannOLax wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:08 am Tottenham, oh Tottenham, a team that burns through managers find themselves again seeking a new one. Or an old old one in the form of Poch? Personally, I like Luis Enrique, with Spanish managers having done so well lately in the EPL. Then there's Nagelsmann, recently axed by Bayern Munich despite apparent success there. I guess Spurs are in no rush, even though they sit precariously in 4th place having played more games than the teams directly below them. Fine, get this decision right, please; not some defensive-minded big name whose last success was long ago (meaning not another Jose Mourinho or Antonio Conte). Up next for the lilywhites: a Monday visit to under-achieving Everton; on paper, it looks winnable, but Tottenham always seem to slip up and get paper cuts. COME ON YOU SPURS!
I’m looking for Sam Allardyce to take over.
ardilla secreta

Goooooooooooooool
IMG_0634.jpeg
IMG_0634.jpeg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Potter out. Brendan Rodgers out. Tough times for the mid-table.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:22 am Potter out. Brendan Rodgers out. Tough times for the mid-table.
Even after Russian oligarch owner Abramovich was forced to sell, Chelsea continues to burn through managers. Leicester are now back in the relegation zone, although Rodgers wasn't given enough resources (spending money) this season. Two more candidates for the Spurs position? I hope not!
ardilla secreta

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:21 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:22 am Potter out. Brendan Rodgers out. Tough times for the mid-table.
Even after Russian oligarch owner Abramovich was forced to sell, Chelsea continues to burn through managers. Leicester are now back in the relegation zone, although Rodgers wasn't given enough resources (spending money) this season. Two more candidates for the Spurs position? I hope not!
Spurs like hiring Chelsea rejects. Welcome Back Potter, your dreams were your ticket out.
Question is do they do it now or after season. Not a very inspirational outing by Spurs today with new coach. A redux of the Soton game.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Wow, amazing comeback by Crystal Palace at Leeds! Leeds games are never dull, but that may not enough to keep them clear of relegation.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:35 am Wow, amazing comeback by Crystal Palace at Leeds! Leeds games are never dull, but that may not enough to keep them clear of relegation.
Best 2-2 draw I think I have seen: Liverpool comeback at Anfield. I wonder how much Arsenal is going to want those two points??
Bart

Post by Bart »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:18 am
FannOLax wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:35 am Wow, amazing comeback by Crystal Palace at Leeds! Leeds games are never dull, but that may not enough to keep them clear of relegation.
Best 2-2 draw I think I have seen: Liverpool comeback at Anfield. I wonder how much Arsenal is going to want those two points??
I think Arsenal is happy to get out of there with a point. Missed PK, goalie standing on his head in the last 15 min.

Did you happen to see the after game where they went through an incident with one of the assistant referee's throwing and elbow at Robertson?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Bart wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:31 am
I think Arsenal is happy to get out of there with a point. Missed PK, goalie standing on his head in the last 15 min.

Did you happen to see the after game where they went through an incident with one of the linesman throwing and elbow at Robertson?
No, totally missed that. Film? And you're right: Ramsdale saved Gunner's bacon.

Got it: https://twitter.com/TonyL_01/status/1645136285231722498
Bart

Post by Bart »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:34 am
Bart wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:31 am

Did you happen to see the after game where they went through an incident with one of the linesman throwing and elbow at Robertson?
No, totally missed that. Film? And you're right: Ramsdale saved Gunner's bacon.

Got it: https://twitter.com/TonyL_01/status/1645136285231722498
Yep. That about sums it all up............. Ref's in that sport take more szchit than any other sport I see. It is not a good look but I suppose I am not surprised it has boiled over. How many times a game do you see 4-5 or more players from both teams circle around a ref after a call trying to get their way.....
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Bart wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:42 am ............. Ref's in that sport take more szchit than any other sport I see. It is not a good look but I suppose I am not surprised it has boiled over. How many times a game do you see 4-5 or more players from both teams circle around a ref after a call trying to get their way.....
Tough job, as there's only one ref covering a field larger than a US football field; plus players regularly dive, feign injury and do whatever they can to deceive the referees. And yes, they take a lot of guff from players, coaches and fans. VAR was supposed to help, but in England they haven't figured out how to use it effectively.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Predictions:

Man City v. Bayern?

Benfica v. Inter
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:00 am Predictions:

Man City v. Bayern?

Benfica v. Inter
Tough to read Bayern; changed managers recently, not looking great. I think they'll defend heavily in Manchester, try for a draw or 1 nil loss. Will Pep make things more complicated than necessary, or just let City attack full-throttle? City have the talent, but always trip over their own feet in this competition. Haaland is a great addition, and Grealish has been allowed to shine, so Man City should get past Bayern.

I have no clue about Benfica v Inter Milan.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:10 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:00 am Predictions:

Man City v. Bayern?

Benfica v. Inter
Tough to read Bayern; changed managers recently, not looking great. I think they'll defend heavily in Manchester, try for a draw or 1 nil loss. Will Pep make things more complicated than necessary, or just let City attack full-throttle? City have the talent, but always trip over their own feet in this competition. Haaland is a great addition, and Grealish has been allowed to shine, so Man City should get past Bayern.

I have no clue about Benfica v Inter Milan.
Pretty decisive first legs by both City (3-0) and Inter (2-0).

Highlights (City v. Bayern): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdQcvpeF910

Highlights (Benfica v. Inter-Milan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPj-j6P2Ms
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Today, first leg:

Real Madrid v. Chelsea

Napoli v. AC Milan
ardilla secreta

Photo from when I toured Estadio Santiago Bernabeu
IMG_9623.jpeg
IMG_9623.jpeg (141.62 KiB) Viewed 591 times
ardilla secreta

Chelsea are on their way to becoming the Dallas Cowboys of the EPL with an owner who meddles in player personnel. Removing Potter for Lampard made no sense and has been a failure to date. Going to be tough to secure a top manager to deal with that mess.

Spurs are a mess too with their coaching positions. The players looked like they were on their way to a late win before crumbling to a resourceful Bournemouth.

Definitely going down are Southampton and Leicester. Sad to see Foxes go down as they’ve been a pleasure in the past, but they don’t look capable of staying in the money game.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”