Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
seacoaster

Re: IMPEACHMENT ... Bribery, Extortion and Abuse of Power

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:41 pm So in the end, based on what you guys say, nothing will happen and Trump and the R clan will (obnoxiously) claim victory. That's how it all plays out?
In a sense, that may be how it works out. But I look at this without the expectation of a conviction by the Chamber of Invertabrates, and still think it has to be done.

It is pretty darn clear that the President is using the tools and powers of his public office to obtain compromising information on a domestic political opponent. He used a private lawyer to spearhead the matter. He used dollars appropriated by the Congress and earmarked for an ally in need as the carrot, and withholding or slow-walking it as the stick. And he wanted to accomplish a private domestic political purpose relating to his reelection campaign, and there is at least some meaningful evidence (testimony from legitimate, knowledgeable and largely apolitical people) that this effort was at the expense of, or placed at risk, the public policy issues associated with Ukraine and NATO and Western national security interests. He used fiduciary powers for private gain.

I can’t regard this as “futile” – that is, because the Senate won’t convict, the House should just roll up the carpet and get back to work on other matters. And I genuinely think anyone who does think that this is futile really doesn’t understand the stakes and the history. The stakes I think – and I apologize for sounding dramatic and overly momentous – are something on the order of the country’s basic respect for the rule of law. If a President – and I mean any President – is permitted to use the immediate functions and powers entrusted to him or her by the electorate to leverage personal political goals and gains, we are reducing ourselves to the rule of strongmen, badly disguised by a thin wrapping paper of faux legal and political legitimacy. We are reduced to a country in which the enormous powers of governance will be used not necessarily to govern, but to win on a personal level. And that is just disturbing to this citizen.

The history is part of this. Someone has to be the counterpoint to this example of using the tools of governance for personal gain and profit – and the House is, practically and constitutionally, the sole entity to carry it out. Even if the Senate acquits the President, our history will at least reflect an ardent, serious, procedurally-sound and fair effort and process by which the President’s actions were exposed, understood, brought into the light of day and into common parlance, and judged pursuant to the governing foundational document that is the contract between and among all of us. And that’s important to me, and I think will be important to my children’s generation. Someone f*cking tried.

On the question of whether the House Managers can retain special counsel, all I remember is that Graham was a Manager in the Clinton Impeachment Trial, and used it to creep his way up the greasy rope. It's how I learned that he had been a JAG lawyer, I think. I would very much like to see Daniel Goldman actually put on a trial and oral argument in the Senate.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:24 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:38 pm Ding ding ding. SCOTUS has previously ruled that impeachment proceedings are not subject to judicial review. So you'll never get to the high drama show down that Nixon faced over the tapes. Which was a federal court order saying you must comply. In the Senate process, it is just one more Congressional witch hunt subpoena to blow off. I'm not sure how much Roberts' signature on the page would change it. But the downside to the Dems would be to big -- presidents almost never ever ever testify in person to Congress. The optics just scream "separation of powers." I just don't see them going there.
So then why the heck did Clinton agree to a deposition? I STILL don't understand why he did that, or why he answered one single question pertaining to legal activity (sex).
Great post a Fan. I remember that from all those years ago. Bill Clinton is one very smart cookie. His response should have been the standard " I am not going to dignify that question with a response" My sex life is no ones business... end of story.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
njbill

Post by njbill »

old salt wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:49 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:32 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:29 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm I suppose Trump could try to argue that he had a good faith basis to believe the Bidens violated the law and that was why he wanted the Ukrainians to investigate them
If this were true, the FBI would have gone to work, no questions asked . No need for Trump to lift a finger.
Agreed. No doubt in my mind that Bill Barr hasn’t already looked into this and come up empty.
Don't need an indictment. Just motivate the MSM to lay out all the inconvenient details of Bidens-Burisma-Archer-Kerry-State Dept-USAID.

Might not be anything criminal but it sure smells like business as usual.
There is no question that what Hunter did was unseemly and certainly created the appearance of a possible conflict of interest. This doesn’t excuse anything, but he has not dealt well with the many tragedies in his life. I actually feel sorry for the guy. Again, it doesn’t excuse the choices he has made.

I keep coming back to the fact, however, that what he did and what his father did are two completely different things. I don’t think any “sins” committed by the adult (mid to late 40s) son should be visited on the father.

If Joe did something wrong, that would be an entirely different thing. But I have seen no proof that he did. Sure, conspiracy theorists can whip up a long list of questions about possibilities, but you can do that about anyone and anything really. Prove to me he did something wrong – don’t just speculate – then we can talk.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree, sc, and I don't see this as being futile at all.
As far as the "hammer the R brand" goes, I don't believe it will do anything other than energize the MAGA army. Good friend of mine is a hard core Trump boy....he thinks Dr. Hill is a stupid pawn. That's what you're dealing with. They'll rejoice and work themselves into a frenzy over the whole deal. JMHO.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:38 pm Ding ding ding. SCOTUS has previously ruled that impeachment proceedings are not subject to judicial review. So you'll never get to the high drama show down that Nixon faced over the tapes. Which was a federal court order saying you must comply. In the Senate process, it is just one more Congressional witch hunt subpoena to blow off. I'm not sure how much Roberts' signature on the page would change it. But the downside to the Dems would be to big -- presidents almost never ever ever testify in person to Congress. The optics just scream "separation of powers." I just don't see them going there.
So then why the heck did Clinton agree to a deposition? I STILL don't understand why he did that, or why he answered one single question pertaining to legal activity (sex).
Great post a Fan. I remember that from all those years ago. Bill Clinton is one very smart cookie. His response should have been the standard " I am not going to dignify that question with a response" My sex life is no ones business... end of story.
Didn't Clinton have to sit for the deposition? I may be recalling this wrong, but I thought that's what Clinton v. Jones was about.
njbill

Post by njbill »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:53 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:41 pm So in the end, based on what you guys say, nothing will happen and Trump and the R clan will (obnoxiously) claim victory. That's how it all plays out?
In a sense, that may be how it works out. But I look at this without the expectation of a conviction by the Chamber of Invertabrates, and still think it has to be done.

It is pretty darn clear that the President is using the tools and powers of his public office to obtain compromising information on a domestic political opponent. He used a private lawyer to spearhead the matter. He used dollars appropriated by the Congress and earmarked for an ally in need as the carrot, and withholding or slow-walking it as the stick. And he wanted to accomplish a private domestic political purpose relating to his reelection campaign, and there is at least some meaningful evidence (testimony from legitimate, knowledgeable and largely apolitical people) that this effort was at the expense of, or placed at risk, the public policy issues associated with Ukraine and NATO and Western national security interests. He used fiduciary powers for private gain.

I can’t regard this as “futile” – that is, because the Senate won’t convict, the House should just roll up the carpet and get back to work on other matters. And I genuinely think anyone who does think that this is futile really doesn’t understand the stakes and the history. The stakes I think – and I apologize for sounding dramatic and overly momentous – are something on the order of the country’s basic respect for the rule of law. If a President – and I mean any President – is permitted to use the immediate functions and powers entrusted to him or her by the electorate to leverage personal political goals and gains, we are reducing ourselves to the rule of strongmen, badly disguised by a thin wrapping paper of faux legal and political legitimacy. We are reduced to a country in which the enormous powers of governance will be used not necessarily to govern, but to win on a personal level. And that is just disturbing to this citizen.

The history is part of this. Someone has to be the counterpoint to this example of using the tools of governance for personal gain and profit – and the House is, practically and constitutionally, the sole entity to carry it out. Even if the Senate acquits the President, our history will at least reflect an ardent, serious, procedurally-sound and fair effort and process by which the President’s actions were exposed, understood, brought into the light of day and into common parlance, and judged pursuant to the governing foundational document that is the contract between and among all of us. And that’s important to me, and I think will be important to my children’s generation. Someone f*cking tried.

On the question of whether the House Managers can retain special counsel, all I remember is that Graham was a Manager in the Clinton Impeachment Trial, and used it to creep his way up the greasy rope. It's how I learned that he had been a JAG lawyer, I think. I would very much like to see Daniel Goldman actually put on a trial and oral argument in the Senate.
Very well said.

The Constitution provides that the president can be impeached for treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors. In the three prior impeachments (including Nixon), no article of impeachment has alleged treason or bribery. I think it is important for historical purposes and to send a signal to future presidents, that Trump be impeached for bribery (perhaps technically attempted bribery). That way, in the future, a president will know if he tries to engage in bribery, he may be impeached.
njbill

Post by njbill »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:07 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm
Didn't Clinton have to sit for the deposition? I may be recalling this wrong, but I thought that's what Clinton v. Jones was about.
Yes, he did. I edited an earlier post of mine to add that.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:47 pm
Yes, butt It's all about down ticket. How much will the optics hammer the Republican brand?

Well that, and future Presidents will know you can't "investigate" you political opponent.
Don't forget.....as I noted earlier. The left also knows their POTUS candidate pool is a bit weak, so there is also a play for the majority in the Senate....that'll really hit Trump in the gonads.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:50 pm Horowitz & Durham might emphasize that point.
Not even a little. No unless they've got Obama on tape ordering the whole thing.

Horowitz and Durham are about FBI or DoJ employees breaking laws, if any.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Still pretending McCabe is the bad guy here?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
ggait

Post by ggait »

1. While Clinton certainly had his ethical issues, he was not a complete lying lawless d-bag a-hole like Trump. Clinton had respect for his office.

2. Timing. If a president litigates this long enough, he's going to lose. Clinton had already been re-elected in 1996. The GOP wasn't going to go away, so Clinton had an interest in moving the thing along. Starr, with unlimited time, was prepared to subpoena Clinton and eventually would have won.

For Trump, the stonewall to Mueller and to the House work to run the clock until after the 2020 election. Justice delayed is justice denied.

If you really want to nail Trump, let him get re-elected. Then you will have four full years to litigate (and almost certainly win) all these court cases.
Last edited by ggait on Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

So in the end, based on what you guys say, nothing will happen and Trump and the R clan will (obnoxiously) claim victory. That's how it all plays out?
From my perspective, any of these outcomes are worth the effort:

1. Trump is impeached and acquitted on straight party votes. But the facts come out. Good.

2. Trump is impeached and acquitted with some amount of bi-partisan votes. Better.

3. Trump is impeached and removed. Best.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

ggait wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:44 pm
1. While Clinton certainly had his ethical issues, he was not a complete lying lawless d-bag a-hole like Trump. Clinton had respect for his office.

2. Timing. If a president litigates this long enough, he's going to lose. Clinton had already been re-elected in 1996. The GOP wasn't going to go away, so Clinton had an interest in moving the thing along. Starr, with unlimited time, was prepared to subpoena Clinton and eventually would have won.

For Trump, the stonewall to Mueller and to the House work to run the clock until after the 2020 election. Justice delayed is justice denied.

If you really want to nail Trump, let him get re-elected. Then you will have four full years to litigate (and almost certainly win) all these court cases.
I would prefer him out of office. Can still be nailed unless pardoned...
a fan

Post by a fan »

ggait wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:49 pm
So in the end, based on what you guys say, nothing will happen and Trump and the R clan will (obnoxiously) claim victory. That's how it all plays out?

1. Trump is impeached and acquitted on straight party votes. But the facts come out. Good.

2. Trump is impeached and acquitted with some amount of bi-partisan votes. Better.

Yep. All are fine by me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I'll put my money on #1. Yes, good that the facts come out.
Ulitmately though a W is a W is a W and the Rs claim the W.
All is ignored and/or forgotten by the R clan as to the facts,
Trump is the god, and the whole thing amounts to nothing
more than a warrantless witch hunt by the Ds and company.
Their boy was acquitted. Pretty sad all in all.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:24 pm

I'll put my money on #1. Yes, good that the facts come out.
Ulitmately though a W is a W is a W and the Rs claim the W.
All is ignored and/or forgotten by the R clan as to the facts,
Trump is the god, and the whole thing amounts to nothing
more than a warrantless witch hunt by the Ds and company.
Their boy was acquitted. Pretty sad all in all.
Maybe, but we have to care about the history, and history will not be kind to Trump.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Turns out Nunes was in on the heist. Lev and Igor are national treasures. Russian national treasures.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Trinity wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:43 pm Turns out Nunes was in on the heist. Lev and Igor are national treasures. Russian national treasures.
https://www.salon.com/2019/11/21/indict ... europe/amp
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

njbill wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:01 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:49 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:32 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:29 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm I suppose Trump could try to argue that he had a good faith basis to believe the Bidens violated the law and that was why he wanted the Ukrainians to investigate them
If this were true, the FBI would have gone to work, no questions asked . No need for Trump to lift a finger.
Agreed. No doubt in my mind that Bill Barr hasn’t already looked into this and come up empty.
Don't need an indictment. Just motivate the MSM to lay out all the inconvenient details of Bidens-Burisma-Archer-Kerry-State Dept-USAID.

Might not be anything criminal but it sure smells like business as usual.
There is no question that what Hunter did was unseemly and certainly created the appearance of a possible conflict of interest. This doesn’t excuse anything, but he has not dealt well with the many tragedies in his life. I actually feel sorry for the guy. Again, it doesn’t excuse the choices he has made.

I keep coming back to the fact, however, that what he did and what his father did are two completely different things. I don’t think any “sins” committed by the adult (mid to late 40s) son should be visited on the father.

If Joe did something wrong, that would be an entirely different thing. But I have seen no proof that he did. Sure, conspiracy theorists can whip up a long list of questions about possibilities, but you can do that about anyone and anything really. Prove to me he did something wrong – don’t just speculate – then we can talk.
It doesn't work that way. Joe's position gave Hunter access.
This shouldn't be ignored any more than Trump family conflicts should be.
Archer's access to State Dept officials, via Kerry, should also be examined.
njbill

Post by njbill »

If Joe got him the job, I would agree. If Hunter got the job because he was Joe’s son (which is obvious) and Joe wasn’t involved, that’s on Hunter. Otherwise, you are blaming Joe for something Hunter did. That’s not right. Now, I do acknowledge mine is a minority view, but I think it is the correct way to look at it. This hurts Joe more in the primary. If he gets the nomination, this is small potatoes – very small potatoes -compared to the stuff Trump has done.

Return to “POLITICS”