American Educational System

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: American Educational System

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Thought this might interest some of you, who have kids in public school systems, or have children, as I do, who teach in them:

https://www.nhd.uscourts.gov/sites/defa ... 4NH040.pdf
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:38 pm Thought this might interest some of you, who have kids in public school systems, or have children, as I do, who teach in them:

... as I read it, good news for freedom and a loss for the fascists. Correct me if you see it otherwise.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

jhu72 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 1:57 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 5:38 pm Thought this might interest some of you, who have kids in public school systems, or have children, as I do, who teach in them:

... as I read it, good news for freedom and a loss for the fascists. Correct me if you see it otherwise.
The Judge, who I believe has never been reversed on appeal, basically got the issue completely right. This was a law intended to scare teachers and chill teacher decisions. Can I have the class read Beloved? Can we talk about Harper Lee's treatment of Tom Robinson, the railroaded trial? Can we teach children about the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia and the grand compromise with the southern states and the 3/5 Clause? Discussions of race? Hey, why did women only get the vote in 1920?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:38 pm

The Judge, who I believe has never been reversed on appeal, basically got the issue completely right. This was a law intended to scare teachers and chill teacher decisions. Can I have the class read Beloved? Can we talk about Harper Lee's treatment of Tom Robinson, the railroaded trial? Can we teach children about the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia and the grand compromise with the southern states and the 3/5 Clause? Discussions of race? Hey, why did women only get the vote in 1920?
How long will it last? I would have thought such disenfranchisement impossible, but given the shameless power grab unfolding, maybe not.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 9:27 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:38 pm

How long will it last? I would have thought such disenfranchisement impossible, but given the shameless power grab unfolding, maybe not.
No you didnt.. you are fully aware of socioeconomic disenfranchisement. This is just far more tangible and transparent today. You just didn't expect it even from sh**ty humans to be so direct and acceptable to broader society.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Woman wins here case from being sued by School Board for doing what the SChool Board Asked. All she requested was the curriculum for her Kindergartner.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C446wLZN ... 7PxwMZM0TC

https://www.goldwaterinstitute.org/vict ... icts-lies/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:51 pm
... bullsh*t :roll:
How so?

good ole FBI....and stuff

Brady articles, FDA
Until 1947, Reich enjoyed largely uncritical attention from the press in the United States. One journal, Psychosomatic Medicine, had called orgone a "surrealist creation", but his psychoanalytic work had been discussed in the Journal of the American Medical Association and the American Journal of Psychiatry, The Nation had given his writing positive reviews, and he was listed in American Men of Science.[132]

typewritten letter on Food and Drug Administration headed paper
August 1947 letter from the FDA about Reich, referencing the Brady article
His reputation took a sudden downturn in April and May 1947, when articles by Mildred Edie Brady were published in Harper's and The New Republic, the latter entitled "The Strange Case of Wilhelm Reich", with the subhead, "The man who blames both neuroses and cancer on unsatisfactory sexual activities has been repudiated by only one scientific journal."[97] Brady's ultimate target was not Reich but psychoanalysis, which according to Turner she saw as akin to astrology.[133]

Of Reich she wrote: "Orgone, named after the sexual orgasm, is, according to Reich, a cosmic energy. It is, in fact, the cosmic energy. Reich has not only discovered it; he has seen it, demonstrated it and named a town—Orgonon, Maine—after it. Here he builds accumulators of it, which are rented out to patients, who presumably derive 'orgastic potency' from it."[97][n 8] She claimed, falsely, that he had said the accumulators could cure not only impotence but cancer.[7] Brady argued that the "growing Reich cult" had to be dealt with.[135] On his copy of the New Republic article, Reich wrote "THE SMEAR". He issued a press release, but no one published it.[136]

In July 1947, Dr. J. J. Durrett, director of the Medical Advisory Division of the Federal Trade Commission, wrote to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) asking them to investigate Reich's claims about the health benefits of orgone. The FDA assigned an investigator to the case, who learned that Reich had built 250 accumulators. The FDA concluded that they were dealing with a "fraud of the first magnitude". According to Sharaf, the FDA suspected a sexual racket of some kind; questions were asked about the women associated with orgonomy and "what was done with them".[137] From that point on, Reich's work came increasingly to the attention of the authorities.[138]
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Its just educational

Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

An interesting essay from a teacher who just quit after 20+ years of teaching.

Why I Left Teaching

Seems like teachers are trying to teach with one hand, if not both, tied behind their back. They get it from both sides - crazy parents and admin/boards. They're our neighbors, friends, many have kids. They're mostly normal people like the rest of us trying to do a good job.
Last edited by NattyBohChamps04 on Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:35 pm An interesting essay from a teacher who just quit after 20+ years of teaching.

Why I Left Teaching

Seems like teachers are trying to teach with one hand, if not both, tied behind their back. They get it from both sides. They're our neighbors, friends, many have kids. They're mostly normal people like the rest of us trying to do a good job.
... its a republiCON victory. They have been (under various names) trying to destroy public education since the Supremes ordered desegregation.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:48 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:35 pm An interesting essay from a teacher who just quit after 20+ years of teaching.

Why I Left Teaching

Seems like teachers are trying to teach with one hand, if not both, tied behind their back. They get it from both sides. They're our neighbors, friends, many have kids. They're mostly normal people like the rest of us trying to do a good job.
... its a republiCON victory. They have been (under various names) trying to destroy public education since the Supremes ordered desegregation.
While this is 1000% true, the far left and right are working 24/7 to let kids threaten teachers without getting kicked out of school.

It's literally the one workplace in America where you can threaten someone with a weapon, and show up to a teacher's workplace the next day.

The need to have the power to expel. And the far left won't let that happen, becuase they think it's a racist thing to do. And they're right, statistically speaking. But......so what? Sorry, man, teachers aren't in charge of fixing allllll of societies problems. You can't ask someone to work in a place where their lives are threatened, sorry.

Fund other programs for the expelled kids...which is where the right doesn't understand that cutting funding makes it IMPOSSIBLE to do that. Yet they think it's not their fault we can't expel kids.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I have a dog park friend who is an ESL teacher for our county's HS classes of immigrant kids,
She's really dedicated, but I've never seen a teacher so worn down & happy to finish the year.
She said the kids from Africa arrive speaking perfect English with a British accent & learn like sponges.
The Haitian kids are eager to learn but speak only Creole & the ESL teachers are Spanish only & no French.
The Afghan kids speak little English & are mostly lost.
Many of the older Hispanic boys (men) are unmotivated & are there for documentation/status reasons that teachers cannot inquire about.
I urge her to reflect on the students she was able to help & be happy if she could teach the newly arriving 19-21 year old's basic survival English & enough math to make change. I guess it's good for the economy.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:04 pm I have a dog park friend who is an ESL teacher for our county's HS classes of immigrant kids,
She's really dedicated, but I've never seen a teacher so worn down & happy to finish the year.
She said the kids from Africa arrive speaking perfect English with a British accent & learn like sponges.
The Haitian kids are eager to learn but speak only Creole & the ESL teachers are Spanish only & no French.
Many of the older Hispanic boys (men) are unmotivated & are there for documentation/status reasons that teachers cannot inquire about.
I urge her to reflect on the students she was able to help & be happy if she could teach the newly arriving 19-21 year old's basic survival English & enough math to make change. I guess it's good for the economy.
Good on her. I think I told you before, but my assistant's wife just quit her job as a k-12 art teacher. Bad pay, low morale...and feeling unsafe at work all contributed.

We have to figure something out for these teachers, and fast. All our problems as a nation land at their literal doorstep, as you are pointing out here.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:31 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:04 pm I have a dog park friend who is an ESL teacher for our county's HS classes of immigrant kids,
Good on her. I think I told you before, but my assistant's wife just quit her job as a k-12 art teacher. Bad pay, low morale...and feeling unsafe at work all contributed.

We have to figure something out for these teachers, and fast. All our problems as a nation land at their literal doorstep, as you are pointing out here.
+1

My wife is a teacher for special needs.....she said the overall general consensus is that the majority would all leave if they did not need the job....its that bad. My wife easily works a 10+ hour day, often writing IEP's and all the other required acronym state mandated paperwork required that they have zero time to do while actually at work. Not to mention, it's the inmates that damned near run the asylum.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:52 pm

+1

My wife is a teacher for special needs.....she said the overall general consensus is that the majority would all leave if they did not need the job....its that bad. My wife easily works a 10+ hour day, often writing IEP's and all the other required acronym state mandated paperwork required that they have zero time to do while actually at work. Not to mention, it's the inmates that damned near run the asylum.
How do we get back to what Old Salt described several months ago...where his wife had full autonomy to teach her kids in the manner she saw fit?

I have full trust in my daughter's teachers, which includes the consequence that they teach her things that I'm not all that jazzed about sometimes. I have to let go, and trust. From my discussions with teachers, we are unicorn parents. The vast, vast majority of parents want their untrained, inexperienced hands on the wheel....a refuse to understand that THEY are a big part of the problem.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:13 pm

+1

How do we get back to what Old Salt described several months ago...where his wife had full autonomy to teach her kids in the manner she saw fit?

I have full trust in my daughter's teachers, which includes the consequence that they teach her things that I'm not all that jazzed about sometimes. I have to let go, and trust. From my discussions with teachers, we are unicorn parents. The vast, vast majority of parents want their untrained, inexperienced hands on the wheel....a refuse to understand that THEY are a big part of the problem.
My wife expresses frustration about so many of her associate teachers. When they are in staff meetings and being told how they must accomplish the ‘new’ method, the teachers often get overly stressed and seldom are provided direction…..their stress goes through the roof.

Whereas my wife, who came from teaching in day care centers, using manipulatives, play, and eye level engagement…not the standing and dictating at a whiteboard. She then tells them to just do what you know is right….stop overthinking everything. She said they are so afraid to not do exactly as told, rather than what they know needs to be done.

Is this the result of overreach from the State and Federal Education groups inserting themselves trickling down? She says yes….teachers are now having to play the role of some higher-ups decision to CYA at every turn to make sure funding stays flowing. The teachers are caught in the jet wash. Add in that the students are no longer disciplined, and you have a recipe for dysfunction.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:33 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:13 pm

+1

My wife expresses frustration about so many of her associate teachers. When they are in staff meetings and being told how they must accomplish the ‘new’ method, the teachers often get overly stressed and seldom are provided direction…..their stress goes through the roof.

Whereas my wife, who came from teaching in day care centers, using manipulatives, play, and eye level engagement…not the standing and dictating at a whiteboard. She then tells them to just do what you know is right….stop overthinking everything. She said they are so afraid to not do exactly as told, rather than what they know needs to be done.

Is this the result of overreach from the State and Federal Education groups inserting themselves trickling down? She says yes….teachers are now having to play the role of some higher-ups decision to CYA at every turn to make sure funding stays flowing. The teachers are caught in the jet wash. Add in that the students are no longer disciplined, and you have a recipe for dysfunction.
The mix of helicopter parents....and then the far left and the far right...who both refuse to trust teachers for very different reasons, screw it all up.

Do you see either fringe giving up their grip on education for the greater good? I don't. Unfortunately.

Return to “POLITICS”