Is a 2021 season going to happen?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MA Lax Fan

Re: Is a 2021 season going to happen?

Post by MA Lax Fan »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:39 pm Don’t bother Joe! As soon as the McConnell statement was made, you knew what you were dealing with :roll: Pelosi and Sanders have both stated they didn’t want a relief bill passed as it would’ve helped Trump with re-election, oh well. The sky is still falling as we continue to lockdown healthy people due to a virus with a 99% survival rate. If you’re at risk, quarantine, others should wear a mask,
👍
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:25 am
a fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:18 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:39 pm Don’t bother Joe! As soon as the McConnell statement was made, you knew what you were dealing with :roll:
Yes. You're dealing with someone who can read, and is trying to help you to answer the question: "Is a 2021 season going to happen"?

You partisans are reading what you want to read. I didn't blame McConnell for doodly. Or Trump. Or Pelosi. Or anyone. For anything.

What Im trying to tell you is that University Presidents are concerned about liability. So much so, that McConnell won't sign a stimulus without legal protections...and he's been demanding this provision for months. This is a truth. He's on the record for this. Is he right to do that? I have no idea. I'm not a lawyer, and have no idea what's at stake.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s insistence that legal liability protections for businesses, schools and colleges be included in any new coronavirus relief bill is approaching a moment of reckoning.

Warning that an avalanche of litigation would undercut any rebound from the pandemic’s economic damage, McConnell has repeatedly said he won’t let a bill to pass the Senate without a temporary shield from most coronavirus-related lawsuits for businesses that follow public health guidelines.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... alks-stall

I'm simply telling you what's happening in DC. It has a direct effect on whether or not we have lacrosse. Maybe grow up, and knock off the partisan nonsense for five minutes. Or keep at it, I guess. It's doing wonders for our nation......
Partisan bashing ? ;) .....and yet you provide no...as in NO......links to the any actual bills. Just an article from FIVE months ago. From a publication owned by a guy who ran for POTUSA.

No liability provision in the original CARES act of late winter :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

good luck with liability when it comes to forcing people to have to get a shot that won't work

Suddenly, Mitch is drafting ALL US Congress legislation?
It has been lingering out there since July: Safe to Work Act... Damned lawyers strike again. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Youth, A Shakespeare quote comes to mind.... :D
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:39 pm Don’t bother Joe! As soon as the McConnell statement was made, you knew what you were dealing with :roll:
Yes. You're dealing with someone who can read, and is trying to help you to answer the question: "Is a 2021 season going to happen"?

You partisans are reading what you want to read. I didn't blame McConnell for doodly. Or Trump. Or Pelosi. Or anyone. For anything.

What Im trying to tell you is that University Presidents are concerned about liability. So much so, that McConnell won't sign a stimulus without legal protections...and he's been demanding this provision for months. This is a truth. He's on the record for this. Is he right to do that? I have no idea. I'm not a lawyer, and have no idea what's at stake.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s insistence that legal liability protections for businesses, schools and colleges be included in any new coronavirus relief bill is approaching a moment of reckoning.

Warning that an avalanche of litigation would undercut any rebound from the pandemic’s economic damage, McConnell has repeatedly said he won’t let a bill to pass the Senate without a temporary shield from most coronavirus-related lawsuits for businesses that follow public health guidelines.

I'm simply telling you what's happening in DC. It has a direct effect on whether or not we have lacrosse. Maybe grow up, and knock off the partisan nonsense for five minutes. Or keep at it, I guess. It's doing wonders for our nation......
Partisan bashing ? ;) .....and yet you provide no...as in NO......links to the any actual bills. Just an article from FIVE months ago. From a publication owned by a guy who ran for POTUSA.

No liability provision in the original CARES act of late winter :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

good luck with liability when it comes to forcing people to have to get a shot that won't work

Suddenly you know that a vaccine is not going to work and you didn’t even work on the development?!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
bananas

Post by bananas »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:06 pm Big Ten men will supposedly play each conference opponent 2x and play only 2 OOC opponents..

If by resumption of practices, standard protocol calls for continual player testing that is expensive then there is a distinct possibility that many schools in several conferences could drop lax for the season due to budgetary constraints.

Isn't far fetched to envision a 2021 season played only by the ACC , B10 and perhaps the 3 academies and a few majors ie Cornell n Denver without conference opponents to play. Basically be the Top Fifteen brawling both in and out of conference, matchups of powers which espn would be delighted to telecast given likely viewership per.
a fan

Post by a fan »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:33 am Youth, A Shakespeare quote comes to mind.... :D
Same here. And likely from the same play. "Listen to many, speak to a few".

Is Mitch McConnell a good enough source for you all?

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has been adamant about getting coronavirus liability protections and said he won't pass another coronavirus stimulus bill without it.

"It must have, must, no bill will pass the Senate without liability protection for everyone related to the coronavirus. .... Nobody should have to face an epidemic of lawsuits on the heels of the pandemic that we already have related to the coronavirus," McConnell said during a stop in Kentucky this week.

Businesses, colleges, schools, health facilities, churches and other institutions would be legally liable if they refused to make "reasonable efforts" and "committed an act of gross negligence or intentional misconduct" in neglecting to follow public health guidelines

I was trying to help you all understand that liability is clearly a huge issue for Universities during Covid. So much so, that they're obviously lobbying in DC to get protection.

Liability is plainly a part of the decision to have lacrosse. Calm down, FFS. And maybe pay attention to what your leaders are doing...clearly (and laughably) not one of you knew that McConnell demanding a liability shield. Yet that didn't keep you all from lashing out.....

https://www.newsmax.com/us/senate-Mitch ... id/977787/
bananas

Post by bananas »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:12 am
FMUBart wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:33 am Youth, A Shakespeare quote comes to mind.... :D
Same here. And likely from the same play. "Listen to many, speak to a few".

Is Mitch McConnell a good enough source for you all?

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has been adamant about getting coronavirus liability protections and said he won't pass another coronavirus stimulus bill without it.

"It must have, must, no bill will pass the Senate without liability protection for everyone related to the coronavirus. .... Nobody should have to face an epidemic of lawsuits on the heels of the pandemic that we already have related to the coronavirus," McConnell said during a stop in Kentucky this week.

Businesses, colleges, schools, health facilities, churches and other institutions would be legally liable if they refused to make "reasonable efforts" and "committed an act of gross negligence or intentional misconduct" in neglecting to follow public health guidelines

I was trying to help you all understand that liability is clearly a huge issue for Universities during Covid. So much so, that they're obviously lobbying in DC to get protection.

Liability is plainly a part of the decision to have lacrosse. Calm down, FFS. And maybe pay attention to what your leaders are doing...clearly (and laughably) not one of you knew that McConnell demanding a liability shield. Yet that didn't keep you all from lashing out.....

Yes. Liability is definitely a large consideration in making various decisions . Reason why insurance exists. Smart by any to intelligently clear before stepping into a foxhole.

https://www.newsmax.com/us/senate-Mitch ... id/977787/
LaxManiax

Post by LaxManiax »

Speaking with a number of D1 coaches here is what I have learned.

Most schools wont play a team unless they are testing as much as they are. They are also not doing any flights. Only games they can bus to, its still unknown if they will let them stay overnight. My guess is that will be a no go for most schools. They may have to play teams within driving distance that meet the travel limits for buses. Usual rule their is 16 hours to and from.

Those teams are requiring to test at least 3 times a week, I heard one program say upward of 100k for testing.

With all that said, limited travel, 3x testing, smaller programs might not be able to make that work. I know of a few low level programs with budgets lower than that.

I can see some conferences or programs sitting out this year or only playing 5-6 games (conference only). Super worried about Denver and Air Force with them do being on that island.

I doubt we see conference tourneys. Season champs will move on if they have a national tournament.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

While I enjoy watching lacrosse, I think a little perspective is in order. It is a game — no more, no less.

“When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

a fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:02 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:51 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:31 pm
DU-fan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:55 pm I don't think the cause of Keyontae Johnson collapsing during a basketball game months after having COVID has any impact on the 2021 lacrosse season. The number of players in college sports, MLB, and the NFL that have had COVID is a large population. There are no patterns or trends related to those players getting sick.
I think the General Counsels at the heavily endowed Universities in question might disagree with this assessment.....
Athletes have collapsed in many other years when CV-19 did not exist, why in the world must every aspect of life be (a large majority of the time WRONGFULLY) attributed to CV-19. Let the damn information come out and then make your assumption.

Joe
I'm not making any assumptions, my hair-triggered young friend. I'm trying to help you to understand what the decision makers are looking at here.

Do you know why the Covid bailout package has been held up by McConnell? Have a look, and get back to us. Hint: in involves a word that rhymes with "liability". ;)
Nice try dude! The clear implication in your statement was that McConnell is holding up the Covid bailout bill==everyone has known where Mitch stands re: liability protection...why is the other side adamant about having the opportunity to sue? Many college football players have opted out due to the virus. Given the 99% survival rate among young adults, I would sign a "hold harmless" waiver allowing my child to play. The lack of commonsense in DC is mind boggling!
a fan

Post by a fan »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:34 pm Nice try dude! The clear implication in your statement was that McConnell is holding up the Covid bailout bill
He is. He literally told you he's doing that in his above quote. He won't sign a deal without a temporary liability shield. You're upset because you think I'm criticizing him for that. I'm not. I'm stating a fact. A fact from McConnell himself.

You're acting like I think this is a bad thing. Let me let you in on a secret: I own a business. I have no problem with having those additional liability protections in place during Covid. And I understand why McConnell wants that provision, although I'm not sitting on a $6Billion endowment that I need to protect the way Hopkins does, so I really understand it at a very low level.

You want to blame Pelosi for NOT letting that provision through? Sure. That's fine. Let's blame her. But the fact remains...and the point I'm making....is that liability is plainly on the mind of University Presidents. And they took that concern to Washington.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Bottom line: Pelosi/Sanders and others held up Covid relief for political, not substantive, reasons. But, whatever :roll: You're mistaking me for someone who gives a poop about the nimrods in DC. I would just like some commonsense with regard to the whole Covid situation. People get viruses everyday--and this one isn't deadly for 99% of those infected. Again, if you're at risk, quarantine. Others can wear a mask. Said another way: Let people determine how they wish to deal with the virus.
smoova

Post by smoova »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:01 pm Bottom line: Pelosi/Sanders and others held up Covid relief for political, not substantive, reasons. But, whatever :roll: You're mistaking me for someone who gives a poop about the nimrods in DC.

I laughed. Thanks.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:44 am

Suddenly you know that a vaccine is not going to work and you didn’t even work on the development?!
......false tracing models, especially on the GOT thread in mT's......short hand .....looks good at first but replication is almost areoboic .....but, better to burn out, than to rust....yeah, yeah, my, my. ask the spouse.

problem IS....I wasn't asked to work on it. ;)

You talking the vaxx, TLD. (0h, right....when it IS your turn. ) Love how all the "connected" people suddenly just can't seem to be able to jump the line. "what, ME.....I'm NOT essential "....kickinNscreaming
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:57 pm
FMUBart wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:34 pm Nice try dude! The clear implication in your statement was that McConnell is holding up the Covid bailout bill
He is. He literally told you he's doing that in his above quote. He won't sign a deal without a temporary liability shield. You're upset because you think I'm criticizing him for that. I'm not. I'm stating a fact. A fact from McConnell himself.

You're acting like I think this is a bad thing. Let me let you in on a secret: I own a business. I have no problem with having those additional liability protections in place during Covid. And I understand why McConnell wants that provision, although I'm not sitting on a $6Billion endowment that I need to protect the way Hopkins does, so I really understand it at a very low level.

You want to blame Pelosi for NOT letting that provision through? Sure. That's fine. Let's blame her. But the fact remains...and the point I'm making....is that liability is plainly on the mind of University Presidents. And they took that concern to Washington.

Why not just type this, and only this, to make your point? No need to drag in the usual tripe.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:01 pm But the fact remains...and the point I'm making....is that liability is plainly on the mind of University Presidents. And they took that concern to Washington.

Why not just type this, and only this, to make your point? No need to drag in the usual tripe.
Because someone (ahem) asked for citations to back my claim. So I gave direct quotes from the person that I can't name without getting everyone upset. Not my fault that you can't bring up facts without getting folks all worked up around here.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:44 am

......false tracing models, especially on the GOT thread in mT's......short hand .....looks good at first but replication is almost areoboic .....but, better to burn out, than to rust....yeah, yeah, my, my. ask the spouse.

problem IS....I wasn't asked to work on it. ;)

You talking the vaxx, TLD. (0h, right....when it IS your turn. ) Love how all the "connected" people suddenly just can't seem to be able to jump the line. "what, ME.....I'm NOT essential "....kickinNscreaming
How long you been with Moderna or Pfizer? My wife favors the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:23 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:01 pm But the fact remains...and the point I'm making....is that liability is plainly on the mind of University Presidents. And they took that concern to Washington.

Because someone (ahem) asked for citations to back my claim. So I gave direct quotes from the person that I can't name without getting everyone upset. Not my fault that you can't bring up facts without getting folks all worked up around here.
join the club.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

a fan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:23 pm

No, your orignial post could have been just what I bolded.

Instead, you acted like it was ALL, as in entirely, Lt. Col's McGrath's US Senate opponents idea.

You act as if the word "liablity" was NOT part of the original C.A.R.E.S. act. Yet, THERE it IS.

https://www.congress.gov/116/plaws/publ ... ubl136.pdf

SECT: 3215

134 STAT. 374 PUBLIC LAW 116–136—MAR. 27, 2020
SEC. 3215. LIMITATION ON LIABILITY FOR VOLUNTEER HEALTH CARE
PROFESSIONALS DURING COVID–19 EMERGENCY
RESPONSE.
(a) LIMITATION ON LIABILITY.—Except as provided in subsection
(b), a health care professional shall not be liable under Federal
or State law for any harm caused by an act or omission of the
professional in the provision of health care services during the
public health emergency with respect to COVID–19 declared by
the Secretary of Health and Human Services (referred to in this
section as the ‘‘Secretary’’) under section 319 of the Public Health
Service Act (42 U.S.C. 247d) on January 31, 2020, if—
(1) the professional is providing health care services in
response to such public health emergency, as a volunteer; and
(2) the act or omission occurs—
(A) in the course of providing health care services;
(B) in the health care professional’s capacity as a volunteer;
(C) in the course of providing health care services
that—
(i) are within the scope of the license, registration,
or certification of the volunteer, as defined by the
State of licensure, registration, or certification; and
(ii) do not exceed the scope of license, registration,
or certification of a substantially similar health professional in the State in which such act or omission occurs;
and
(D) in a good faith belief that the individual being
treated is in need of health care services.
(b) EXCEPTIONS.—Subsection (a) does not apply if—
(1) the harm was caused by an act or omission constituting
willful or criminal misconduct, gross negligence, reckless misconduct, or a conscious flagrant indifference to the rights or
safety of the individual harmed by the health care professional;
or
(2) the health care professional rendered the health care
services under the influence (as determined pursuant to
applicable State law) of alcohol or an intoxicating drug.
(c) PREEMPTION.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—This section preempts the laws of a State
or any political subdivision of a State to the extent that such
laws are inconsistent with this section, unless such laws provide
greater protection from liability.
(2) VOLUNTEER PROTECTION ACT.—Protections afforded by
this section are in addition to those provided by the Volunteer

it goes on and on with more legal jargon and shell games. At least Mr. Chow isn't asking for sunscreen provisions to be added to THIS V19 welfare, as usual, the ones that don't need it will get 95% of the funds......
a fan

Post by a fan »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:41 am Instead, you acted like it was ALL, as in entirely, Lt. Col's McGrath's US Senate opponents idea.
Who controls what bills make it to the Senate floor? You? Or Mitch McConnell, the Majority Leader in the US Senate?

And what you're telling me here is that you don't believe what Senator McConnell told you and your fellow citizens about not flooring a bill if it doesn't contain, and I quote, "liability protection for everyone related to the coronavirus".

Fine. I can't make you believe what he told you.

And with the CARES act? Do you see liability "for everyone related to the coronavirus"?

No. You don't. What you see is, and I quote: LIMITATION ON LIABILITY FOR VOLUNTEER HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS DURING COVID–19 EMERGENCY
RESPONSE.

That ain't "everyone related to the coronavirus". That's one very specific group. And McConnell has told you that that's not enough.

You're arguing just to argue. If i'm not specific enough, you ask for specifics. If I give you specifics, you tell me to be more vague.

Maybe relax a bit?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”