Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:17 am
bam1972 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:52 am I agree with Loyola11 that shots that the goalie catches are turnovers. Is Seay not in the mix anymore?
Forgot about Seay, he should be in the mix
If Wigley really is back then thats a plus as a righty middie to combine with Seay who is mainly left. This is good news for right now. I guess swindell would take the final 1st line middie spot.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Conrad is really good. Great athlete.

One thing to notice about him that he loves step-in 15-yard cranks, and bounces far more than up top. Rare to see a middie shoot bouncers as much as he does. He typically will only fire bouncers with his right hand. On lefty shots, he shoots up top with a rare bouncer.

Hard to contain the kid. Like anyone with a good shot, attack his bottom hand like a madman. Make him pay a penalty when he steps inside the restraining line. Conrad heats up as the season progresses.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:46 am
stupefied wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:46 am Matchups of units matter moreso than direct comparisons.
Attack edge UVA, but Lindley and Olmstead could take advantage of UVA inexperienced frosh.
Close edge Loyola, a growing strength that wont stop UVA attack but could contain. PUSH

MID edge UVA, missing Conrad but still have Aiken and may be deeper in scoring .
Rope edge UVA, better defensively, more aggressive and physical, Loyola mids still developing . UVA

FOGO , even , two very good fogos, would expect them to more or less split. PUSH

G, ?? know nothing about L goalie. Rode can be very good at times, loose at times . UVA

Spencer hof abilities would swing, Stover could steal game.
Good luck but dont see Hounds beating UVA this year unless attack takes full advantage and your new goalie plays really well

You're combining defense and attack as one unit, which I understand, but I'd rather draw those distinctions out out way more.

Loyola's defense is much better than UVA's.

Loyola's attack is the equal if not more so than UVA's.

FOGO: I agree, a split.

LSM's: Loyola (McNulty 1st team AA this year)

SSDM's: Loyola

Middies: UVA, strictly because of Aitken

GK: edge to UVA if Rode shows up (which is no guarantee)
Don't forget this one PB

Coaching: -advantage Loyola
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 am Conrad is really good. Great athlete.

One thing to notice about him that he loves step-in 15-yard cranks, and bounces far more than up top. Rare to see a middie shoot bouncers as much as he does. He typically will only fire bouncers with his right hand. On lefty shots, he shoots up top with a rare bouncer.

Hard to contain the kid. Like anyone with a good shot, attack his bottom hand like a madman. Make him pay a penalty when he steps inside the restraining line. Conrad heats up as the season progresses.
Conrad graduated, off to pros. Skunked out of year of eligibility by NCAA rules that are too restrictive for season ending injuries. Should be 50% of regular season at minimum imo. Terrific wing player, playmaker who was driving force to UVA chip. Gonna be missed but they may be even better this year . Good luck
hens62

Post by hens62 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:46 am
You're combining defense and attack as one unit, which I understand, but I'd rather draw those distinctions out out way more.

Loyola's defense is much better than UVA's.

Loyola's attack is the equal if not more so than UVA's.

FOGO: I agree, a split.

LSM's: Loyola (McNulty 1st team AA this year)

SSDM's: Loyola

Middies: UVA, strictly because of Aitken

GK: edge to UVA if Rode shows up (which is no guarantee)
Not a UVA fan but this is craziness... all of your points were just plain incorrect

- Virginia had a better GAA last year and returns everyone (and played in the ACC).
- Virginias attack had more points last year.. and returns everyone.
- Lasalla was +6% wins over Savio
- Conners was voted preseason 1st team over McNulty
- UVA has a DM voted preseason AA
- Rode is the returning tournament MOP... Loyola has a brand new starter
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Hens62,
I think of Peter Brown as a split personality: one is the opinionated drunk uncle who you try not to engage with at Thanksgiving dinner. The other is the enthusiastic Loyola fan who sees the world through gray and green glasses and every now and then offers a nugget of wisdom. You're just never sure which you're dealing with at any point in time.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

DALaxDad wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:22 pm Hens62,
I think of Peter Brown as a split personality: one is the opinionated drunk uncle who you try not to engage with at Thanksgiving dinner. The other is the enthusiastic Loyola fan who sees the world through gray and green glasses and every now and then offers a nugget of wisdom. You're just never sure which you're dealing with at any point in time.
Most of us from Virginia think he’s really Doc Barrister incognito....The similarities are endless.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

blue angels wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:50 pm
Most of us from Virginia think he’s really Doc Barrister incognito....The similarities are endless.
Not even DocB would dare claim Hop's attack is better than Virginia's. The Hoos return 226 points on attack. Hop brings back 119. Loyola returns 110. The Greyhounds' third attackman would have to score around 100 points to even have that unit be in the conversation. In other words:

NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I love it :D Got some rivals jumping in on the Hounds site. I say this is good.

By all indications and looking at returning starters, stats, etc... UVA should thrash the Hounds. Lot of holes to fill. Not sure what all the new faces, and old, will show. Sluggish and sloppy scrimmages. First scrimmage loss in 5 years.

Got to see how the offense operates without Pat Spencer - Huge. Let me say that again - HUGE. HUGER. HUGEST. New faces, new roles. What can Toomey do to get these Hounds ready to play the defending NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!? On their own turf! Oh, I forgot to mention, Stover is gone. OUCH! That hurts too. Scanlon?? Third leading scorer and AA for the Hounds last season. Wearing 22 for Cuse. Hounds don't stand a chance.

Hopefully the bus won't start Friday afternoon and it will be a forfeit. Give the Hounds more time to prepare for Hopkins :lol:

Having said all of that, Hounds should get beat by 10 points or more, maybe 12 Seriously. Anything closer will be a moral victory and still help the end of season RPI. If they do get beat by 12 or more - ouch - gonna be a long season.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:13 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 am Conrad is really good. Great athlete.

Conrad graduated, off to pros. Skunked out of year of eligibility by NCAA rules that are too restrictive for season ending injuries. Should be 50% of regular season at minimum imo. Terrific wing player, playmaker who was driving force to UVA chip. Gonna be missed but they may be even better this year . Good luck

Aitken Aitken. Brain freeze.

My post was about Dox. Apologies.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:08 pm
Not even DocB would dare claim Hop's attack is better than Virginia's. The Hoos return 226 points on attack. Hop brings back 119. Loyola returns 110. The Greyhounds' third attackman would have to score around 100 points to even have that unit be in the conversation. In other words:

Hops attack isn’t equal to McDonogh Girls Varsity.

Anyhoo, I’d take both Lindley and Olmstead over any UVA attack today. Not gonna mention names but one of UVA’s starters on attack is really not good at all but benefits from tons of garbage goals.

Can’t wait to beat the Hoos.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

NovaHound wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:56 pm I love it :D Got some rivals jumping in on the Hounds site. I say this is good.

By all indications and looking at returning starters, stats, etc... UVA should thrash the Hounds. Lot of holes to fill. Not sure what all the new faces, and old, will show. Sluggish and sloppy scrimmages. First scrimmage loss in 5 years.

Got to see how the offense operates without Pat Spencer - Huge. Let me say that again - HUGE. HUGER. HUGEST. New faces, new roles. What can Toomey do to get these Hounds ready to play the defending NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!? On their own turf! Oh, I forgot to mention, Stover is gone. OUCH! That hurts too. Scanlon?? Third leading scorer and AA for the Hounds last season. Wearing 22 for Cuse. Hounds don't stand a chance.

Hopefully the bus won't start Friday afternoon and it will be a forfeit. Give the Hounds more time to prepare for Hopkins :lol:

Having said all of that, Hounds should get beat by 10 points or more, maybe 12 Seriously. Anything closer will be a moral victory and still help the end of season RPI. If they do get beat by 12 or more - ouch - gonna be a long season.
The vast majority of your fan base is top shelf as is your coach and your team. Just 1 loudmouth. The rest of us are hoping for a great game between 2 great teams
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:08 pm

Speaking of Attack Hopfan, heard Epstein has a torn ACL, any truth? I know it has been reported it is low leg injury... Hope it is not true, great player and a great kid
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:18 pm Hops attack isn’t equal to McDonogh Girls Varsity.

Anyhoo, I’d take both Lindley and Olmstead over any UVA attack today. Not gonna mention names but one of UVA’s starters on attack is really not good at all but benefits from tons of garbage goals.

Can’t wait to beat the Hoos.
how much less are garbage goals worth?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

One garbage goal: luck. Tons of garbage goals?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:18 pm Not gonna mention names but one of UVA’s starters on attack is really not good at all but benefits from tons of garbage goals.
:lol: You can't convince me this guy ever played lacrosse. :lol:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catbird wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:00 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:18 pm Not gonna mention names but one of UVA’s starters on attack is really not good at all but benefits from tons of garbage goals.
It's especially hilarious because the player he's talking about (Laviano) scores most of his goals the exact same way Kevin Lindley does for Loyola.

Finishing and off-ball play is an art unto itself. No shame in that—every offense needs those kinds of guys. Just weird that he has to try to bring down a good player at another program just to feel better about his own guys. Yikes!
Benthere

Post by Benthere »

Come on get the smelling saltz! Laviano was only LI "Player of the Year". Snubbed by UA staff for not playing for this or that club. And I wouldn't want to be a pole with the rock and have him chasing me. Also, believe has led the team in goals and tops in ACC? Not too shabby. He should be getting more sun! Take Hoo's by a bunch.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Ball hardly touches his strings before its released. Remember his winner vs Duke in NCAA's? More than a complement. Madman rides , catches everything thrown and converts with assortment of shots. Terrific player who is overshadowed by playing with other terrific players
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 am
Catbird wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:00 am
It's especially hilarious because the player he's talking about (Laviano) scores most of his goals the exact same way Kevin Lindley does for Loyola.

Finishing and off-ball play is an art unto itself. No shame in that—every offense needs those kinds of guys. Just weird that he has to try to bring down a good player at another program just to feel better about his own guys. Yikes!
Laviano makes perfect cuts at the perfect time and gets the ball out so quickly. He is a quiet assassin for UVA.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”