Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:10 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:37 pm We're still doing the September predict wins and losses game? I guess Dr. Sweatpants didn't learn from Sag A's "hard to see how they get to 7 wins" prognostication from last year.
I predict 6 wins next Spring.
LOL
OK, and how many winter wins?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:46 am It's a very good - on paper extremely competitive schedule. There are zero games, however, where you say - Oh of course that's a win. Your home slate in the BIG is the defending BIG tournament champs - a National semi-finalist in Penn State and the recent Homewood nemesis and perennial power Maryland. Only Ohio State and Towson had losing records last year. Every game Ohio State played in Columbus was competitive - alot of games on the road were blow-outs. And while Towson's only really good win last year was late in the season against Delaware they played most games close - Loyola in OT - Denver by 2 - largest margin of defeat was 7 against UVA. It's certainly a schedule that should get you the RPI you want/need. Other thoughts:

- In line with the above thoughts those of you looking forward to the 3rd mid-field line and significant contributions from alot of freshmen: Magic 8 ball says "Outlook not so good". I shook it again and I saw "Don't Count on it". 23-25 players virtually all of these games.
- Your predictions are amusing '06 - Not sure why Loyola is favored - not saying the Hounds can't or won't win but they shouldn't be favored. Hopkins has won the last two of the last 3 at Homewood I believe. If Angelus and Melendez play I don't think it will be the drecch we saw last year. 62 names on the North Carolina Roster - that's kind of a bell weather game for me - No excuses about tired legs.
- 10 Stone - assuming the BIG keeps the format from last year - possible to play 3 games in the BIG - so you could play the exact same number of games as last year before the NCAA - of course if you are in the bottom four of the BIG - you maybe have some work to do to make the NCAAs.
-I have a lot of respect for Loyola's staff.
-Interesting to here what PM's thoughts are on this. I doubt Utah, St Joes, Delaware and Jville chose to give up those series with us. Maybe PM saw the extended season last year, thought the guys were gassed late and wanted a shorter schedule.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:17 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:46 am It's a very good - on paper extremely competitive schedule. There are zero games, however, where you say - Oh of course that's a win. Your home slate in the BIG is the defending BIG tournament champs - a National semi-finalist in Penn State and the recent Homewood nemesis and perennial power Maryland. Only Ohio State and Towson had losing records last year. Every game Ohio State played in Columbus was competitive - alot of games on the road were blow-outs. And while Towson's only really good win last year was late in the season against Delaware they played most games close - Loyola in OT - Denver by 2 - largest margin of defeat was 7 against UVA. It's certainly a schedule that should get you the RPI you want/need. Other thoughts:

- In line with the above thoughts those of you looking forward to the 3rd mid-field line and significant contributions from alot of freshmen: Magic 8 ball says "Outlook not so good". I shook it again and I saw "Don't Count on it". 23-25 players virtually all of these games.
- Your predictions are amusing '06 - Not sure why Loyola is favored - not saying the Hounds can't or won't win but they shouldn't be favored. Hopkins has won the last two of the last 3 at Homewood I believe. If Angelus and Melendez play I don't think it will be the drecch we saw last year. 62 names on the North Carolina Roster - that's kind of a bell weather game for me - No excuses about tired legs.
- 10 Stone - assuming the BIG keeps the format from last year - possible to play 3 games in the BIG - so you could play the exact same number of games as last year before the NCAA - of course if you are in the bottom four of the BIG - you maybe have some work to do to make the NCAAs.
-I have a lot of respect for Loyola's staff.
-Interesting to here what PM's thoughts are on this. I doubt Utah, St Joes, Delaware and Jville chose to give up those series with us. Maybe PM saw the extended season last year, thought the guys were gassed late and wanted a shorter schedule.
With Georgetown, Loyola, and UNC on consecutive Saturdays in February, scheduling Utah would have meant a mid-week trip to SLC, which would have been tough. And I'm assuming Utah wasn't thrilled with the prospect of playing at Homewood back-to-back.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Delaware and Jax were likely 2-year home-and-home deals, so presumably those lapsed and just weren't renewed. St. Joe's might be miffed we're not making a trip to Philly this year, but that's how it goes sometimes. Getting the UVA and UNC games back on Saturdays (where they should be) was a priority. No one wanted those on a Tuesday night again. And that meant two Saturday games from last season (St. Joe's/Utah) had to go to make room.
molo

Post by molo »

Glad I won’t have to miss classes again for those Tuesday UVA and UNC games.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:16 pm Delaware and Jax were likely 2-year home-and-home deals, so presumably those lapsed and just weren't renewed. St. Joe's might be miffed we're not making a trip to Philly this year, but that's how it goes sometimes. Getting the UVA and UNC games back on Saturdays (where they should be) was a priority. No one wanted those on a Tuesday night again. And that meant two Saturday games from last season (St. Joe's/Utah) had to go to make room.
PM said a few years ago or was told to say that he didn't like midweek games because of the missed class time. Something changed last year and I guess he went back to a shorter schedule.

Women have a fun 2025 schedule to put together with Oregon and USC joining the big ten.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:30 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:16 pm Delaware and Jax were likely 2-year home-and-home deals, so presumably those lapsed and just weren't renewed. St. Joe's might be miffed we're not making a trip to Philly this year, but that's how it goes sometimes. Getting the UVA and UNC games back on Saturdays (where they should be) was a priority. No one wanted those on a Tuesday night again. And that meant two Saturday games from last season (St. Joe's/Utah) had to go to make room.
PM said a few years ago or was told to say that he didn't like midweek games because of the missed class time. Something changed last year and I guess he went back to a shorter schedule.

Women have a fun 2025 schedule to put together with Oregon and USC joining the big ten.
06, i actually don't mind your provocative b.s. but this might might be the most ridiculous post to date. congrats?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wg... I must admit while "provocative" and "ridiculous" are descriptions I would attach to many if not most of '06's posts I am missing it here. The comment about the women's schedule while somewhat out of place is pretty benign and there WAS a scheduling dust up (at least on fanlax) of why Milliman chose to schedule 2 separate Friday & Sunday games in 2022 (losing 3 of the 4 games) and zero mid-week games. I do not recall whether it was actually a recorded or published quote but it was attributed to Milliman that he did it for two reasons: to simulate at least the BIG tournament if you reach the finals AND to avoid missed midweek class time (I guess going on the premise that most college students avoid Friday classes). He did have 1 Friday-Sunday last year and 2 mid-week games as he increased the schedule from 13 to 15 games (losing the two mid-week games) so if he said that in 2022 he obviously revised the thought process. What am I missing?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:08 am wg... I must admit while "provocative" and "ridiculous" are descriptions I would attach to many if not most of '06's posts I am missing it here. The comment about the women's schedule while somewhat out of place is pretty benign and there WAS a scheduling dust up (at least on fanlax) of why Milliman chose to schedule 2 separate Friday & Sunday games in 2022 (losing 3 of the 4 games) and zero mid-week games. I do not recall whether it was actually a recorded or published quote but it was attributed to Milliman that he did it for two reasons: to simulate at least the BIG tournament if you reach the finals AND to avoid missed midweek class time (I guess going on the premise that most college students avoid Friday classes). He did have 1 Friday-Sunday last year and 2 mid-week games as he increased the schedule from 13 to 15 games (losing the two mid-week games) so if he said that in 2022 he obviously revised the thought process. What am I missing?
Milliman comes from the Ivy League, respects the academics and didn't want the mid week game class disruptions. I'm sure those of you going to these fall events will get the story and certainly once IL starts doing their fall tours we'll hear more.

The women's coach comes from the pac 12 I think so he should be well equipped to deal with the changes in their situation. I can't imagine for those of you who go back a long time with the sport and the school what it will be like to see Hopkins playing conference games in Oregon and LA. I saw USC had begun a big facilities upgrade somewhere so the women should get to play in an interesting venue and see some cool stuff.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:41 pm Milliman comes from the Ivy League, respects the academics and didn't want the mid week game class disruptions. I'm sure those of you going to these fall events will get the story and certainly once IL starts doing their fall tours we'll hear more.
I already told you the story. Nobody likes midweek games, and they wanted to get rid of them. So they did.

The Tuesday UNC/UVA games were a temporary solution in order to preserve those rivalries for a year due to the ACC's schedule changes. Was never meant to be a longterm thing.

Moving those two games back to Saturdays means there's no longer a need for the midweek games from last year. It's not some big mystery that needs solving.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Harry to the Hall of Fame! Congrats
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sawyer English decides on Brown.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Alumni game rosters for those going on Saturday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CxdYutaL5cu/?img_index=1

Some pretty good recent talent that might make the final score 20-5 instead of 25-0: Williams, DeSimone, Keogh, Hawley, McManus, Ruddy, Mazzone, Caracciolo, Versfeld, etc.

Dressel and Haugen also playing
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Yikes for the alumni game.

LATEST on WEEKEND STORM.
* 1-4+" rain much of Mid-Atlantic, including Baltimore area; worst conditions Saturday
* Gusts 40-45 mph I-95, ~50 mph along Bay, 60 mph Atlantic coast
* Tidal flooding 1-3 ft of water above normal Annapolis, Old Town, SW Waterfront
* Tropical Storm Warning for Calvert and St. Mary's County extending east over Delmarva to Ocean City.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:03 am Yikes for the alumni game.

LATEST on WEEKEND STORM.
* 1-4+" rain much of Mid-Atlantic, including Baltimore area; worst conditions Saturday
* Tidal flooding 1-3 ft of water above normal Annapolis, Old Town, SW Waterfront
* Tropical Storm Warning for Calvert and St. Mary's County extending east over Delmarva to Ocean City.
Reschedule?
Even the Ravens are thinking of re-scheduling and their game isn't until Sunday.
molo

Post by molo »

Artscape events for tomorrow have been cancelled. Sunday stuff may be called off, too. I wouldn’t count on their playing tomorrow.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:33 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:03 am Yikes for the alumni game.

LATEST on WEEKEND STORM.
Reschedule?
Even the Ravens are thinking of re-scheduling and their game isn't until Sunday.
There's 0% chance the Ravens Game is even being discussed being rescheduled. Haven't heard that anywhere.

Joe
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Unless there's lightning, I think they're going to play today. Somebody get HOB a poncho
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:18 am Unless there's lightning, I think they're going to play today. Somebody get HOB a poncho
+1

Joe

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”