Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Live Game Action

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:57 pm Because there is a goalie trying to stop the shot.

What would your free-throw percentage be if Wilt Chamberlain could stand under the basket and swat away all of your foul shots?
There's obviously something I just flat don't understand about it but a free throw and FPS are not comparable to me. I've never done a FPS but certainly have been 1v1 with a GK at close distance plenty of times and there's just too much open cage to put the ball by him/her for one to not be successful 80+% of the time the way I see it. Too many angles and ways to shoot the ball for the GK to have a high success rate there. There has to be something about the way you can shoot the ball that I just don't understand but when I see it done the way I think it should be I can only wonder why it doesn't happen like that the vast majority of the time. I think shooters who place the ball and don't just shoot and hope (M. Tyrell places the ball) are the most successful. Some are better stickhandlers and shooters than others but a shot 1v1 right on the doorstep should go in in my mind. Much about wlax I don't get, hard to eliminate mlax from the mentality when watching and this might be one example.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:05 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:22 pm NU up on PSU early.

This Sammie White kid is explosive. Wow.
Honestly PS looks better than a lot of teams ranked higher than them. They def look better than SB and Michigan.
They look pretty good to me right now, will see if they can sustain this level of play for the next 30 minutes.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Oh, and there also is a herd of rhinos trying to knock your block off before you can release the ball.

Apologies to the lady laxers for comparing them to rhinos, but I assume they understand it was meant as a complement in this context. ;)
njbill

Post by njbill »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:16 pm a free throw and FPS are not comparable to me.
Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought you have said the two are comparable in the past.
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:21 pm Oh, and there also is a herd of rhinos trying to knock your block off before you can release the ball.

Apologies to the lady laxers for comparing them to rhinos, but I assume they understand it was meant as a complement in this context. ;)
I'd buy that in mlax but not wlax. If these same shooters are coming down on a fast break and end up 1v1 with the GK that close to the cage I'm putting my money on that shot going in. Throw a little juke, a little fake high, shoot low or a variety of different ways to keep the GK guessing and put it by her. On a FPS it seems to me much of that is lost by many.
I plead guilty to ignorance, never been around wlax on any level but I just don't get that (yes, the GK is going to save some but the vast majority should be put by her).
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:24 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:16 pm a free throw and FPS are not comparable to me.
Maybe I’m mistaken, but I thought you have said the two are comparable in the past.
I think you're mistaken, I don't see the two at all similar. Bigger ball, far less room for error with the FT. If the D could crash and you could take it to the hoop looking for the lay up/dunk I'd see a comparison but that's not the case at all.
njbill

Post by njbill »

OK, pretty sure someone has made that comparison in the past.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 pm

Honestly PS looks better than a lot of teams ranked higher than them. They def look better than SB and Michigan.
They look pretty good to me right now, will see if they can sustain this level of play for the next 30 minutes.
Yeah I guess they couldn't keep up the intensity.
*side note - Madison Taylor Rookie of the year? Inside Lacrosse mid year AA shes 1st team. shes great.
List came out today. Very interesting - some of the placements
Also Izzy def breaking single season goals record this year.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:02 pm

*side note - Madison Taylor Rookie of the year? Inside Lacrosse mid year AA shes 1st team. shes great.
I don't follow PSU, or really the B1G. But every time I see Penn State, I notice the collection of really good athletes, good size, good skills. But never impress me much on the field. Just don't get it.

I do realize that last night they took on the juggernaut playing at home and with confidence. Sammie White and Taylor make a big difference to them. And I undervalued Rhatigan's addition here too. It may be close, but I am pretty confident NU is rightly No. 1 for now.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

PSU had no options in their offensive repertoire to crack the NU backer. Hard to drive 1:1 against a zone. No screens or picks off ball to create open cutters. I am a fan of O’Neil, but her unwillingness to use her left made her easy to defend last night. And one of my biggest pet peeves, which is becoming more prevalent: put the ball in your outside hand and stick protect in transition. I am a former middle school coach and I could teach 12yos to do this.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:32 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:21 pm Oh, and there also is a herd of rhinos trying to knock your block off before you can release the ball.

I'd buy that in mlax but not wlax. If these same shooters are coming down on a fast break and end up 1v1 with the GK that close to the cage I'm putting my money on that shot going in. Throw a little juke, a little fake high, shoot low or a variety of different ways to keep the GK guessing and put it by her. On a FPS it seems to me much of that is lost by many.
I plead guilty to ignorance, never been around wlax on any level but I just don't get that (yes, the GK is going to save some but the vast majority should be put by her).
The two defenders are lined up relatively close to the shooter. They are both crashing hard, making it difficult to get a clean shot off. I'd say if it was truly just 1v1 against the goalie that the % would be higher. As it is, FPS are not automatic.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

cltlax wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:28 am

The two defenders are lined up relatively close to the shooter. They are both crashing hard, making it difficult to get a clean shot off. I'd say if it was truly just 1v1 against the goalie that the % would be higher. As it is, FPS are not automatic.
The top 20 teams in the country are all over 50%. Vermont leads the NCAA with a .677 percentage and Albany is second with .595.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:24 am

I don't follow PSU, or really the B1G. But every time I see Penn State, I notice the collection of really good athletes, good size, good skills. But never impress me much on the field. Just don't get it.

I do realize that last night they took on the juggernaut playing at home and with confidence. Sammie White and Taylor make a big difference to them. And I undervalued Rhatigan's addition here too. It may be close, but I am pretty confident NU is rightly No. 1 for now.
It seems to me that this Northwestern team--moreso than other NU teams of recent memory--has the confidence and poise they need to fulfill the potential of their talent. I think they've learned a lot from their recent final four experiences. The team seems to have great leadership at both ends of the field. The offense is obviously fantastic, as they've been proving that opposing teams have a lot more to worry about than just guarding Izzy Scane.

I know after the past couple seasons that I shouldn't get ahead of myself with hopes for the post-season, but right now, the team is great to watch. If we play Syracuse or UNC or BC again, I know it'll be a great game no matter what happens. At his moment in time, NU has the goods to compete with any other team.

BTW, is this year's class of seniors the last class that has the extra year of eligibility due to COVID? If so, I'm betting the majority of NU's offense--including Izzy Scane--will be back next year.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:24 am

It's been this way for what seems like 10 years - painful
DMac

Post by DMac »

cltlax wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:28 am

If I were 30 years old I'd get myself around some wlaxers and go out on the field and do this (yes, with a wlax stick...no problem) so I could experience what it's like. I get that the girls are crashing in on you (the speedy Nat Smith who is quick off the line should be able to score 90% of the time.....lacks a variety of shots), what's probably making it difficult for me to understand is cradling in the halo (just gotta cradle from ear to ear and protect your stick but that's not allowed, right?) and dangerous propel which limits some places you can shoot from. All that said, in this attackman's eyes it just looks too close to me to not be able to pick a spot and put it by the GK to me, there's a lot of room there.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

ND 5-2 over UNC after 1st.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:37 pm ND 5-2 over UNC after 1st.
9-4 ND at the half
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:04 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:37 pm ND 5-2 over UNC after 1st.
9-4 ND at the half
10-5 “who is gonna step up for UNC” jay likes saying that
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

UNC isn’t so hot on the draw, huh? At least, not today and not against NU.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

ultravisitor wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:40 pm UNC isn’t so hot on the draw, huh? At least, not today and not against NU.
Missing speed and aggression on draw circle . today anyway

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”