Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by Laxgunea »

The A10 will be good for us in the long run, but in the short run, I think we will have some work cut out for us. The article did not say the A10 had an AQ ... I've got to assume there is one. Lots of folks might say St. Joes is the team to beat, but I think it is Richmond (even w/out the addition of Madonna ... but even more so now that it is more or less official).
I expect a couple of rebuilding years for us. COVID messed up what were looking like great years for us. If we can be above .500 for the next two years, until the scholarships start to pay off, we'll be doing well.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’ve heard the 2-3yr rebuild and I get it but allow me to offer the rose colored glass other side:

Different conference but we won the NEC in 2016 with an evolving and building offense by winning the AQ giving up 6 (7-6 against ranked Bryant who embarrassed us in the reg season) and 7 (11-7 vs St Joes). We also lost 5-4 in 2017 with a somewhat better offense and in 19 in a shootout to RoMo.

So picture:

- A more more consistent 3rd year as starter Holtby in goal. When he’s seeing the ball and staying low he can be excellent.

- 2.5yr starter in Shea who is in the top 10 FOGOs in the country and could have a Pedicine/Dattillo like senior year with what I personally think is a heck of a “dog” (good not pejorative-the old school upstate section 3-5 way) in Shaifer spelling Shea.

- Even w/o Christiansen (unless he chooses to come back) I really like a group of poles that includes some “dogs” and technically proficient improving kids in: Firth, Horton, Duby, Trujillo, Turner & Orlando who all have meaningful game experience now which wasn’t true going into 22.

- Healthy Baltzer though I hope he can be 75% offense as depth and shooting talent from midfield.

- Cant rely on FR but Cade Dino is the only 2x AA in section 4 history and I’m told is as or more athletic than Bach and similarly improving his skill set so at his size and athleticism could be a nasty SSDM. Also on FR Julian Race is smaller but stocky/physical Canadian who was an AA as Junior at St Joseph’s (Buffalo area) who is finishing himself off at Western Reserve and had 73pts that 21 season and has been scoring more goals at WRA than the year prior so could easily play Baltzers role freeing him up.

- More true feeder behind the cage than we’ve had since maybe Cam Stone in either experienced 6’4” Matt Ward or coming back from injury 6’7” Barthelme seeing the field and feeding to a midfield driven offense led by Herlihy, now 1.5yr starter Bach, and 30+ point scorer Dattellas who can older and is also one of those older school kids who can get a goal when needed like Sean Murphy or Kevin Curtin.

- Further offense supplements by younger kids and some athletes like Ward, Rosa, a health James Greene, Delano etc.

- We could probably use and maybe Simas comes back. A first midfield of Herlihy, Simas and Bach would be as dangerous a starting midfield as we’ve had in a long time.

- Shot clock era but could still win a number of tough matchups like 11-9, 10-7, 12-8. Lehigh finished their season reasonably strong beating Navy 11-7 & 14-8, Army 11-10, Bucknell 14-12 as example.

It would be an inversion of what the team has been since 2019 effectively but there’s a path to being better than projections next 2yrs and if Raymond can effectively deploy money quick between a fall through the crack story stud, Capital efficient 5th yr (Christiansen and Simas if Madonna really does move on) and maybe either a Chick Wilbur fed OCC rock star and/or 5th year from a D3 to supplement the younger guys still getting up to some and enhancing overall depth.

(maybe Hardy talks up the colleges to some stud at Tampa who decides “I think I want to experience a winter on a lake in upstate NY after four years of chilling between the beach and Mons Venus”).
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

I like the optimism for sure, but as stated in the last pod, we really need to get this program's S&C figured out. Maybe it's bc they are smaller guys, but the number of injuries and physical issues they've had in the past couple of seasons needs to get figured out. That's the first step in getting more consistency. Just my .02.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FL-GO wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:41 am I like the optimism for sure, but as stated in the last pod, we really need to get this program's S&C figured out. Maybe it's bc they are smaller guys, but the number of injuries and physical issues they've had in the past couple of seasons needs to get figured out. That's the first step in getting more consistency. Just my .02.
Still need to listen to it but yeah the constant injuries are an outlier in the D1 lacrosse landscape. I know sometimes we get a kid who’s potential is consistently top 10-15 but has some type of injury in HS that reduces the opportunity with that cohort (believe Alex love had a knee injury in HS, sean Donnelly from Delbarton was another one like that), but on a ten year look back our injury history is like 2 standard deviations from the average.

But point is a strong culture and strong back half of the field is the difference between a 4-6 win year with a bunch of 1-2 goal losses and 7-10 wins and a bunch of 1-2 goal wins.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed May 25, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Another ? is Connor Durkin coming back after taking this season off? He seemed to be the odd man out when the team was in fall ball sorting phase. Was more of an X attackman in HS. Archer had that role for the past 3 seasons. So...???
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Love the optimism too, FFG. During would be a surprise, but a really welcome one. While we're at it, Romm could be back too. And I love the idea of Ward as a Cam Stone type feeder ... or Barthelme. We'll see how it works out. Fingers crossed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:13 pm Love the optimism too, FFG. During would be a surprise, but a really welcome one. While we're at it, Romm could be back too. And I love the idea of Ward as a Cam Stone type feeder ... or Barthelme. We'll see how it works out. Fingers crossed.
I mean wait until we have that 3-4 game funk next spring and see how I am. But it doesn’t have to be run and gun all the time to be successful. The 19, 21 & 22 teams didn’t get an AQ and minimal significant wins despite being 24-14 over that stretch. 28-15 counting the partial year in 20.

Have to like having a ton of experience at goalie and FOGO along with a nice crop of poles who improved and have more upside. We all see the opacity of the offense and offensive depth coming next year but sometimes kids we know nothing about show up guns blazing.

But I’m an eternal off-season optimist!
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:21 am
kmartin wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:48 am Got to the championship game of the NEC and didn't have our best outing but credit a very good St. Joseph's team. Didn't get close, winnable games this year against SU, Cornell (for awhile), St. Joe's, and lost one or two that we should have won (Bryant, Sacred Heart) so feels a little disappointing overall after taking a good Lehigh team early.

The other interesting thing that we need to look at is the name, image, likeness money on top of scholarships. That seems to throw in the potential for us to get some recruits but we will need someone with means to really step up for that and for the scholarships. The school is stretching now with so many new sports being added.

A10 looks interesting, back to UMass on the schedule and good to see St. Bona and St. Joe's, which is turning into a good rivalry, there as well. I think Bonaventure did pretty well in the MAAC this year. Won't hurt to be in Virginia/Carolina for games, more and more players are coming out of there. Richmond team looked very good against Penn and we may see Madonna on the other side of the field next year with his brother.

Scouring the portal, DIII, DII and JUCO is always a good idea. Certainly the top teams are loaded with such players and although you probably can't totally emulate that, you have to be in that game. I see Jacksonville got a kid from Tufts who dropped 5 goals on Duke this year IIRC.
We should retrade on esports IMO…and then hey Abby Johnson…

“Introducing Joey Spallina. Brought to you by Fidelity”

Waldbaum was the straw that stirred the drink for Jax this year but have to figure there’s very few non top 7-9 programs that a kid like that would entertain - in his case he had a D3 title, nice NESCAC degree so a year chilling in FL looks logical. But Jax is a major recruiter in our backyard for HS talent so they will be a benchmark program as long as Galloway is there. We compete with most of the A10 for kids as well except maybe St Joes who gets a lot off LI where we haven’t for a long time. But Mearns, UMass (who wanted Stilwell a 23 of ours), Richmond we regularly compete w for kids. Richmond offered Archer late, Madonna Etc. Not sure on High Point though obviously Colin Rovere decommitted from us to attend HPU next year. You hear that Horton, Duby, Firth et al? When they play you next year remember he decided “nah, I think I’d rather be in the triad area than your teammates”.

(Reality is my understanding he wanted a major we didn’t offer ultimately but don’t let it spoil some good locker room material)

Combination of injuries and the lost Colgate game (not to mention plans to play Albany which were scrapped) really hurt us it seems. We needed the extra official games more than the scrimmages it seems in hindsight.
Actually SJU roster not loaded with LI guys. Of the 25 who play only 2-3 from LI
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 pm
kmartin wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:48 am Got to the championship game of the NEC and didn't have our best outing but credit a very good St. Joseph's team. Didn't get close, winnable games this year against SU, Cornell (for awhile), St. Joe's, and lost one or two that we should have won (Bryant, Sacred Heart) so feels a little disappointing overall after taking a good Lehigh team early.

The other interesting thing that we need to look at is the name, image, likeness money on top of scholarships. That seems to throw in the potential for us to get some recruits but we will need someone with means to really step up for that and for the scholarships. The school is stretching now with so many new sports being added.

A10 looks interesting, back to UMass on the schedule and good to see St. Bona and St. Joe's, which is turning into a good rivalry, there as well. I think Bonaventure did pretty well in the MAAC this year. Won't hurt to be in Virginia/Carolina for games, more and more players are coming out of there. Richmond team looked very good against Penn and we may see Madonna on the other side of the field next year with his brother.

Scouring the portal, DIII, DII and JUCO is always a good idea. Certainly the top teams are loaded with such players and although you probably can't totally emulate that, you have to be in that game. I see Jacksonville got a kid from Tufts who dropped 5 goals on Duke this year IIRC.

Waldbaum was the straw that stirred the drink for Jax this year but have to figure there’s very few non top 7-9 programs that a kid like that would entertain - in his case he had a D3 title, nice NESCAC degree so a year chilling in FL looks logical. But Jax is a major recruiter in our backyard for HS talent so they will be a benchmark program as long as Galloway is there. We compete with most of the A10 for kids as well except maybe St Joes who gets a lot off LI where we haven’t for a long time. But Mearns, UMass (who wanted Stilwell a 23 of ours), Richmond we regularly compete w for kids. Richmond offered Archer late, Madonna Etc. Not sure on High Point though obviously Colin Rovere decommitted from us to attend HPU next year. You hear that Horton, Duby, Firth et al? When they play you next year remember he decided “nah, I think I’d rather be in the triad area than your teammates”.

(Reality is my understanding he wanted a major we didn’t offer ultimately but don’t let it spoil some good locker room material)

Combination of injuries and the lost Colgate game (not to mention plans to play Albany which were scrapped) really hurt us it seems. We needed the extra official games more than the scrimmages it seems in hindsight.
Actually SJU roster not loaded with LI guys. Of the 25 who play only 2-3 from LI
Thinking of the teams w Rastivo and some others from a few years back. Wray has done a ton more there than Raymond since both were in the NEC
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 pm

Cain, Rastivo, Doran & Tufano we’re top 2-3 scorers in the 2017 -2019 stretch
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

SJU also had Blewitt who was very good in that period .
I’m not sure if it’s who they recruit or how Wray coaches but the SJU kids always have grit
They can reach down a little deeper than most teams
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thought Blewitt was from NJ.

Anyway just a was speaking more to where I have heard we compete with kids in recruiting and have knowledge the Richmond and UMass have meaningful overlap.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:18 am Thought Blewitt was from NJ.

Anyway just a was speaking more to where I have heard we compete with kids in recruiting and have knowledge the Richmond and UMass have meaningful overlap.
Bergen Catholic for Blewitt. SJU and Hobart should be recruiting the same cohort of players regardless of geography. I can see where geography gives each program some advantages. SJU has 3 contributors from the southeast, Hobart has 1, but I’m sure Hobart has more appeal to upstate NY players. A-10 should widen the net for Hobert’s recruiting
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:21 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:18 am Thought Blewitt was from NJ.

Bergen Catholic for Blewitt. SJU and Hobart should be recruiting the same cohort of players regardless of geography. I can see where geography gives each program some advantages. SJU has 3 contributors from the southeast, Hobart has 1, but I’m sure Hobart has more appeal to upstate NY players. A-10 should widen the net for Hobert’s recruiting
There are a number of reasons for the difference. Lack of full rides to offer historically being one. Small town on large lake that’s bucolic when it’s not nasty cold vs large metro area, etc. IL recruits sometimes list the other schools considered and you see OSU (WNY/CNY kids look west often, we’ve had some transfer there), Bucknell, Villanova (mainline but feels like small town when you get out towards Bryn Mawr), Bryant, some MAAC, very little overlap w AE. They haven’t done much in the SE, nearly got a kid Matt Bellando from Fl but lost him to SBU in a rare AE crossover. Delaney switched from Cornell, a FR damn who was a Fairfield commit.

Just different schools with different things to offer. Not pejorative towards SBU. But conversely I couldn’t imagine in a million years LaCalandria or Dwyer considering Geneva. Keep in mind the school is Liberty League for all other sports so think like CC Union, RPI, U Roch, Gettysburg, Dickinson or lower level NESCAC profile.

Here’s an example:

Anthony Stillwell ‘23 from Rivers in MA schools considered: Bryant, Bucknell, Villanova & Hobart

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment

Connor DiTomasso 22 Loyola Academy IL -don’t have story but similar types of schools plus some Ivies

We are, on some level, competing for this Canadian 23 however:

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Riley Knox is still uncommitted,

let’s go,
let’s get a move on,

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He’s going to Mercer. Saw it somewhere else. And I think that ship sailed when Jason left anyways. Sister is at Furman which is about 3.5hrs away from Macon.

Was hoping for decommit/transfers of Michael Lampert (Jimmy went to Bart and recently graduated), Tye Scott (Justin’s younger brother), Lance Madonna (Derrek’s younger brother) and one or two others but then I woke up and had to get to my day..

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”