The Biden - Harris Era.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Biden - Harris Era.

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:35 pm How does the government implement social support systems federally? Too cumbersome. The people in DC don't even know what the needs of people in every city/rural are, yet alone able to provide it efficiently.
Federal implementation of education just isn't feasible, or able to be even remotely efficient or successful, on a large scale.
IMO, the only model that even remotely comes close to being successful is one like NCLB. That provided very general outlines for use of federal funding and showing measured success. But having covered education for a newspaper during that program's heyday, even that was way too cumbersome, clumsy and inefficient. Good idea. Hard to implement. If you even want to start talking about federal implementations, the framework has to be even more general than NCLB. Want to improve education? The biggest challenge to US education is disparity in facilities on a district by district basis. Let the feds keep giving money.
Hard pass. This is the game where low taxed States fleece the taxpayers from high tax, high GDP States. I have to say, I got a chuckle that you'd skip right over the obvious.."make each State fund their own education"

Put your money where your beliefs are, Kramerica. You think it's not feasible for Federal .gov to direct education, great!

Let the States pay for it, soup to nuts. They get total control over what's taught. Not the county/or school districts....the State. And THEY pay for what they want, for a freaking change.

Picture what that would do. The Rich suburbs get the same money as the poor areas do for schools. Suddenly Republicans would find their wallets for taxes as junior can't afford a microscope or textbooks. :lol:

Sounds great. When do we start?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:59 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:16 pm 74 percent of NYC voters say crime is very serious problem in Big Apple: poll

Nearly three-quarters of New York City voters — 74 percent — think crime is a very serious problem, the highest ever recorded since the Quinnipiac College Poll first asked the question in 1999.

“This is a very high number. It’s eye-popping,” Quinnipiac Poll analyst Mary Snow told The Post.

“The number shows the urgency of the issue. The number is so different from what we’ve seen in the past.”

https://nypost.com/2022/02/09/74-percen ... s-problem/

November not far away….
Great! Can't wait for your team to get in charge, and come up with ways to fix these problems.

Everyone? Get ready for Government to get a whole lot bigger this fall!

Can’t we simply focus on violent and repeat criminals, you know, the ones causing the increase in crime?

That doesn’t seem too much of a reach to me or anyone.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:10 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:16 pm 74 percent of NYC voters say crime is very serious problem in Big Apple: poll

Nearly three-quarters of New York City voters — 74 percent — think crime is a very serious problem, the highest ever recorded since the Quinnipiac College Poll first asked the question in 1999.

“This is a very high number. It’s eye-popping,” Quinnipiac Poll analyst Mary Snow told The Post.

“The number shows the urgency of the issue. The number is so different from what we’ve seen in the past.”

November not far away….
Great! Can't wait for your team to get in charge, and come up with ways to fix these problems.

Can’t we simply focus on violent and repeat criminals, you know, the ones causing the increase in crime?

That doesn’t seem too much of a reach to me or anyone.
makes you wonder if the influx of fentanyl will have an impact on the situation.

Oops too late, already made govt bigger. https://www.usich.gov/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:43 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:17 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:18 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:32 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:30 pm
We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!

How'd that last administration do regarding drug use and overdoses. :lol: :lol:

But don't worry, you can still keep suggesting I'm someone's secondary account or something if it makes you feel better.
As stupid as Trump is I don't think safer crack pipes serving our communities of color would have gotten much traction with Trump. There is a connection that makes sense with Biden. His bouncing baby boy is a former crack head after all.
Yeah, he and a lot of his followers prefer to not address the wide variety of problems the poor face, but rather let the drug and overdose problems get worse like they did under the Trump years.

Still no suggestions or solutions forthcoming I see.

Drug addiction has no simple one-stop answer (if that’s what you’re looking for).

No two addicts have the same backstory or path. They don’t exit alike, and they never enter on similar terms.

It’s hand to hand combat, one person at a time, one day at a time. You’ll lose many along the way, not because you didn’t try, but because they didn’t want help. It’s the same with any pathology or addiction, it can also be anorexia.

What probably won’t help is handing out free crack pipes to make the journey even easier, for more. If anything, you want to make it harder.

I can grasp the conceit, that “handing out free needles and pipes keeps disease down”, but if you have ever dealt with an addiction, or an addict, cleanliness won’t last much longer than tomorrow’s sunrise.
Feel free to read the grant program here, it has a wide variety of things to keep people safer. Smoking kits are a small part of it, and may pay for themselves many times over while we try to tackle the root problems alongside reducing harm.

https://www.samhsa.gov/sites/default/fi ... n-nofo.pdf

For like 3 pages straight I haven't heard any suggestions or solutions coming from the other side to address the root causes of drug addiction or to help people stay safer if they're currently using. Par for the course.
There’s a cohort here that will never understand that addiction is a mental health issue and strictly and narrowly view it as a moral issue (failure). That’s not going to change. Even most who acknowledge it in the abstract don’t really understand it. But at least they try.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:38 pm .. there is no solution to the school problem until you solve the problems at home. Food insecurity, physical insecurity, financial insecurity, health insecurity, the single parent problem, etc.

The free market isn't solving these. Your free market solution just shifts the money to people you think you like. :roll:
Agreed in concept disagree with the idea that the problems at home can ge absolutely solved. Sometimes incremental goals are better than ones that create a demoralizing sense on feign in Zenos paradox
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:06 pm ... just cherry picking students. What happens to the ones who don't apply or perform badly. You can always save a few, and that doesn't require special schools. We are trying to lift every student up.
The question is, like an FDA approval knowing 100% is impossible, where is the floor set and how to deal with the ones that fall through the cracks. And as physics tends to set in (or we could look at price controls where the price tends to head to the floor or ceiling) and whatever the minimum threshold is will almost invariably be where the entire student body will be taught to (lowest common denominator).

It’s not easy obviously but I do think it’s important to consider:

Min
Max
Mean
Median

When setting standards, this importance increases in a curve linear fashion as the size of the public subdivision increases. Maybe I’m misunderstanding but I seem to see the dominant focus on the min. That’s important and that’s going to drive effort, resources and focus with respect to the associated social safety net but I would argue we need to equally value the median, if not max.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Boarding schools are needed. And the families that know they need them for their children should be encouraged to send their kids to them. Back home on weekends....is appropriate. It’s One reason why private schools are so successful....and if your kid is not recruited for extra curricular .... well, you are screwed if not financially secure and in an area of a poorly run public system.

It’s really the haves and have nots and they know it but talk a good game.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

November not far away….

So now, all of 48 hours later, you want to do the opposite of broken windows policing?

Get back to us when you have picked a lane.......
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:04 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:35 pm How does the government implement social support systems federally? Too cumbersome. The people in DC don't even know what the needs of people in every city/rural are, yet alone able to provide it efficiently.
Federal implementation of education just isn't feasible, or able to be even remotely efficient or successful, on a large scale.
IMO, the only model that even remotely comes close to being successful is one like NCLB. That provided very general outlines for use of federal funding and showing measured success. But having covered education for a newspaper during that program's heyday, even that was way too cumbersome, clumsy and inefficient. Good idea. Hard to implement. If you even want to start talking about federal implementations, the framework has to be even more general than NCLB. Want to improve education? The biggest challenge to US education is disparity in facilities on a district by district basis. Let the feds keep giving money.
Hard pass. This is the game where low taxed States fleece the taxpayers from high tax, high GDP States. I have to say, I got a chuckle that you'd skip right over the obvious.."make each State fund their own education"

Put your money where your beliefs are, Kramerica. You think it's not feasible for Federal .gov to direct education, great!

Let the States pay for it, soup to nuts. They get total control over what's taught. Not the county/or school districts....the State. And THEY pay for what they want, for a freaking change.

Picture what that would do. The Rich suburbs get the same money as the poor areas do for schools. Suddenly Republicans would find their wallets for taxes as junior can't afford a microscope or textbooks. :lol:

I’m not sure I follow you. Many states, Maryland included, already fund the bulk of their education. That is why there is so much disparity. NCLB promised big bucks, but wanted major say in administration and curriculum. It just didn’t work. There was a plan but no decent interpretation/administration.
If the feds want to make a difference and spend on education, I say do it fairly - not on fluff and things that can be cheated, like curriculum. Worry about buildings, scheduled modernization, and technology. Give every kid access to the same level/quality of school building and get those big federal orders into dell.
old salt

Post by old salt »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:47 am
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:04 pm

I’m not sure I follow you. Many states, Maryland included, already fund the bulk of their education. That is why there is so much disparity. NCLB promised big bucks, but wanted major say in administration and curriculum. It just didn’t work. There was a plan but no decent interpretation/administration.
If the feds want to make a difference and spend on education, I say do it fairly - not on fluff and things that can be cheated, like curriculum. Worry about buildings, scheduled modernization, and technology. Give every kid access to the same level/quality of school building and get those big federal orders into dell.
47 % state. 45% local, 8% federal
What percentage of public school revenues comes from federal sources?
8 percent

In school year 2016–17, elementary and secondary public school revenues totaled $736 billion in constant 2018–19 dollars. 1 Of this total, 8 percent, or $60 billion, were from federal sources; 47 percent, or $346 billion, were from state sources; and 45 percent, or $330 billion, were from local sources.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:40 pm

November not far away….

So now, all of 48 hours later, you want to do the opposite of broken windows policing?

Get back to us when you have picked a lane.......

I’ve given you two lanes so far.

You don’t seem to have any proposals yourself. At least I’ve yet to see any from you.

I gather you prefer to allow the murders to keep accelerating?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s not linear all this stuff is cyclical.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Ignoring the obvious effects of the opioid epidemic, compounded by the COVID pandemic. Ignoring wage stagnation and the wealth divide blowing up. Ignoring a wave of policy disasters funneling cash and opportunities to the wealthy en masse.

It's not a few repeat offenders across the entire country or being tougher on crime.

There's a reason why red states make up nearly the entire top 10 in violent crime rates... they're poorer.

And yes, Florida has a higher violent crime rate than New York.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:16 am Ignoring the obvious effects of the opioid epidemic, compounded by the COVID pandemic. Ignoring wage stagnation and the wealth divide blowing up. Ignoring a wave of policy disasters funneling cash and opportunities to the wealthy en masse.

It's not a few repeat offenders across the entire country or being tougher on crime.

There's a reason why red states make up nearly the entire top 10 in violent crime rates... they're poorer.

And yes, Florida has a higher violent crime rate than New York.

A poll yesterday showed that 74% of New Yorkers had a high fear of crime, today.

That same poll might show 10% of Floridians, if that. The biggest fear Floridians have is red tide.

Your comparison is not exactly an apples to apples comp.

Also, let’s think of the cities with high crime: Baltimore, Philadelphia, East St. Louis, Chicago, LA, SF, Portland, Minneapolis.
NattyBohChamps04

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:28 amA poll yesterday showed that 74% of New Yorkers had a high fear of crime, today.

That same poll might show 10% of Floridians, if that. The biggest fear Floridians have is red tide.
Your imaginary poll would mean that Floridians simply care less about higher violent crime rates around them vs. NY. :lol: Makes sense in your world I guess... 👍

2020 Murders:
#3. Florida - 1290
#9. New York - 808

2020 Homicide Rate:
#27. Florida - 5.9
#34. New York - 4.2

2019 Violent Crime Rate:
#26. Florida - 383.6
#27. New York - 363.8

Data source: FBI
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:48 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:28 amA poll yesterday showed that 74% of New Yorkers had a high fear of crime, today.

Your imaginary poll would mean that Floridians simply care less about higher violent crime rates around them vs. NY. :lol: Makes sense in your world I guess... 👍

2020 Murders:
#3. Florida - 1290
#9. New York - 808

2020 Homicide Rate:
#27. Florida - 5.9
#34. New York - 4.2

2019 Violent Crime Rate:
#26. Florida - 383.6
#27. New York - 363.8

Oh we have our fair share, that’s not what I was suggesting. What I was suggesting is NYC is the focus of so much of of NY State’s crime (with a DA who is not on the side of victims), whereas in Florida it’s dispersed to the point where you don’t really feel it and our police and government definitely are on the side of the victims,

So in NYC, the feeling is legitimate when 74% of NYC residents feel afraid. I doubt even 10% of Floridians feel that way.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:48 am

2020 Murders:
#3. Florida - 1290
#9. New York - 808

2020 Homicide Rate:
#27. Florida - 5.9
#34. New York - 4.2

2019 Violent Crime Rate:
#26. Florida - 383.6
#27. New York - 363.8

There’s a great song from a great band called Cowboy Junkies for this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-eh9mU5pz1I
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

NattyBohChamps04

Ignore it because it's a little more spread out. Great policy there. Rather it sounds like Floridians just don't care about high crime rates.

And looking into it, the NYC homicide rate is lower than Florida's :shock:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:17 am Ignore it because it's a little more spread out. Great policy there. Rather it sounds like Floridians just don't care about high crime rates.

You’re willfully missing the point.

In Florida, we have:

1) a governor who has the backs of citizens
2) good DA’s who don’t allow criminals to walk into a Trader Joe’s and walk out scot-free with their groceries without paying
3) stand your ground laws
4) police who are allowed to police
5) concealed carry laws which aren’t restricted only to celebrities and billionaires
6) deep respect for second amendment rights

In New York and most blue states, they have none of the above. Hence the deteriorating situation.

That explains the differences.
NattyBohChamps04

So it boils down to the fact that Florida has higher violent crime rates, they just don't care about it as much. Seems like you made the point pretty well.

It's nice to see New Yorkers concerned with stopping crime and criminals.

Return to “POLITICS”