FlyEaglesFly

Re: Maryland 2021

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

One could say that ND got screwed as well
terp talk

---Re: Maryland 2021---Interesting

Post by terp talk »

March 10, 2021. Duke 27 High Point 8

Duke's first round opponent is Highpoint. Should be a Classic Game!!!

Way to go Committee
BigTom4

Post by BigTom4 »

Wheels wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:20 am
51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:26 am The BIG conference screwed Maryland as much as the committee. With no OOC games and playing each in conference twice - the fact that the Terps and Rutgers beat everybody else in the conference made the conference look weak - no one else had more than 4 wins. While the ACC had a chance to play 12-13 regular season games including the famed 33-1 OOC record - and they typically only had to play one other conference opponent twice. So I wasn't surprised so much at the #3 seed but having to go out to South Bend for the quarters is a joke. Best of luck from this Jay.
The ACC beat up on each other, but they all started much higher in the polls. I listed the ACCs OOC opponents earlier in this thread, and it's a slate of 34 games that the ACC should have been favored to win, and credit to them for winning almost all of them. But it reinforced the ACC image, and having their premier match-ups play in primetime on an ESPN property (with announcers that write columns and do podcasts on IL and US Lax Mag) certainly didn't hurt. Having PSU and OSU so badly underperform preseason expectations is what hurt the B1G.
I feel like you are arguing against yourself. Does everyone in the media have an unfair anti-Big Ten bias OR did historically strong Big Ten programs (Penn State and Ohio State) having down years weaken the overall strength of the conference, which led to the conference getting less bids then historically does? Both are possible reasons for yesterday's outcome, but the second seems a little more likely.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe they considered the BigTen BB tourney experience.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

blue angels wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 am
Wheels wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:20 am
51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:26 am The BIG conference screwed Maryland as much as the committee. With no OOC games and playing each in conference twice - the fact that the Terps and Rutgers beat everybody else in the conference made the conference look weak - no one else had more than 4 wins. While the ACC had a chance to play 12-13 regular season games including the famed 33-1 OOC record - and they typically only had to play one other conference opponent twice. So I wasn't surprised so much at the #3 seed but having to go out to South Bend for the quarters is a joke. Best of luck from this Jay.
The ACC beat up on each other, but they all started much higher in the polls. I listed the ACCs OOC opponents earlier in this thread, and it's a slate of 34 games that the ACC should have been favored to win, and credit to them for winning almost all of them. But it reinforced the ACC image, and having their premier match-ups play in primetime on an ESPN property (with announcers that write columns and do podcasts on IL and US Lax Mag) certainly didn't hurt. Having PSU and OSU so badly underperform preseason expectations is what hurt the B1G.
I hear all this continued Terp bitching and moaning about the ACC & having to play Notre Dame at their place in the quarters but nothing from the Notre Dame side. It isn’t a particularly good look…….The Domers aren’t the ones worrying about the future matchup and just confidently expect to win. We shall see….
Do you realize that fans posting here are not on Tillman's staff and literally have nothing to do with the actual team's focus on future matchups? Tillman was gracious in his comments and Makar was a great interview on the selection show. You're just making stuff up.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So you’re saying only the fans are acting poorly and it shouldn’t reflect on the team?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i believe it's 34 and 1 now. and they played 2 conference opponents twice, 2 conf opponents once.

where are the quarterfinal locations?
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:16 am So you’re saying only the fans are acting poorly and it shouldn’t reflect on the team?
First, who is acting poorly? Second, yes. Are you nuts? Should Clayton Kershaw go to jail because a Dodgers fan beat a Giants fan in the parking lot?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Everyone crapping on all non BigTen teams to try to prop their own conference up and spinning nonsense like crazy instead of acknowledging it was dealt a tough hand by their own conference leadership, accepting it and looking forward to seeing if MD can run a pretty tough path to a title?

My point is to see if folks who keep saying “we’re just keyboard warriors and don’t have any influence on the team” as a defense of the inane debates going on about this topic would actually acknowledge they weren’t acting the way you’d want a team or participants to which as a former college athlete would be described as poor behavior or thinking. Victimhood and blaming others. Numerous suggestions to ACC media bias etc.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:15 pm Everyone crapping on all non BigTen teams to try to prop their own conference up and spinning nonsense like crazy instead of acknowledging it was dealt a tough hand by their own conference leadership, accepting it and looking forward to seeing if MD can run a pretty tough path to a title?

My point is to see if folks who keep saying “we’re just keyboard warriors and don’t have any influence on the team” as a defense of the inane debates going on about this topic would actually acknowledge they weren’t acting the way you’d want a team or participants to which as a former college athlete would be described as poor behavior or thinking. Victimhood and blaming others. Numerous suggestions to ACC media bias etc.
Seems pretty reasonable for fans to be disappointed after going 12-0. It's certainly not a new phenomenon for fans to be upset after any tournament selection is announced.

Tillman was extremely gracious. Makar was funny and a great interview without showing any disappointment just 10 minutes after the seeding was announced. How do you deduce that Maryland is acting poorly based on the actual statements made by the actual people on the team?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

keno in reno wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:30 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:15 pm Everyone crapping on all non BigTen teams to try to prop their own conference up and spinning nonsense like crazy instead of acknowledging it was dealt a tough hand by their own conference leadership, accepting it and looking forward to seeing if MD can run a pretty tough path to a title?

Seems pretty reasonable for fans to be disappointed after going 12-0. It's certainly not a new phenomenon for fans to be upset after any tournament selection is announced.

Tillman was extremely gracious. Makar was funny and a great interview without showing any disappointment just 10 minutes after the seeding was announced. How do you deduce that Maryland is acting poorly based on the actual statements made by the actual people on the team?
It’s not so much about MD, some MD fans here have jumped on the BigTen bandwagon though. One told me flat out on Friday I was wrong declaratively that’s MD would be #1 but I didn’t see how the QW profile would stack up against UNC or Duke even w the very fine undefeated season. I wouldn’t have cared and been fine w MD #1 but didn’t see it personally and turns out I was right when I was “MD most likely isn’t #1 seed” and one cat states flat out “well then you’re wrong” prior to the announcement.

But none of it justifies what I was describing and plenty of MD folks jumped on that bandwagon as if they believed the committee was reading this and would be influence but such strong assertions supported by no tangible in season evidence.

Otherwise I keep saying I hope MD does well for my own reason and it’s been a nice season so far. It also doesn’t matter because you were going to have to go through most of the ACC no matter what. Only thing 1 gets you is you don’t have to face both Duke and N.C.
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

Isn't that the point of a Fan based forum to be a "keyboard warrior"? To be able to post your ideas, thoughts, grievances etc... You may think their debates are "inane" but they are expressing their take on the issues. I for one, believe the ACC was protected and positioned strategically.
As to the ACC OOC games, its neglectible at best. The games that counted the most were they ones they played amongst themselves twice. Same as big 10. With ACC not playing any ivies or Big 10, they found a couple of second tier teams to play to beef up stats and wins. Just my take.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

sounds like maryland fans shouldn't have to worry much about playing acc in the tourney.

should be some good lacrosse, and glad we get to see some of these matchups.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kikin wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:42 pm

Isn't that the point of a Fan based forum to be a "keyboard warrior"? To be able to post your ideas, thoughts, grievances etc... You may think their debates are "inane" but they are expressing their take on the issues. I for one, believe the ACC was protected and positioned strategically.
As to the ACC OOC games, its neglectible at best. The games that counted the most were they ones they played amongst themselves twice. Same as big 10. With ACC not playing any ivies or Big 10, they found a couple of second tier teams to play to beef up stats and wins. Just my take.
Then don’t get upset when their called out like “Syracuse only gets in because of their broadcasting school” or Hop would beat anyone in the top 8 or Rutgers is a FF team.

It’s also funny when random folks step in the middle of various conversations like Donny in the Big Lebowski and address one angle that tangential to the prior discussion at hand and don’t bother the or refuse to acknowledge relevant context at all...
PulpExposure

Re: Maryland 2021---#1 Seed

Post by PulpExposure »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:30 pm Agreed that going 12-0 in the B1G should get them the #1 seed. That's amazing to not blink or lose focus one time and, B1G may be down a bit, those are all top notch athletes.
I mean that's the thing. The Big Ten is absolutely stuffed full of top ranked recruits, moreso than any league except the ACC. So even in a "down year"...it's still full of top guys. I mean hell Hopkins has multiple top 10 recruits (including a #1 ranked recruit...which I believe Maryland has never had lol). Are those kids suddenly full of suck or suddenly forget how to play once they stepped onto Homewood? The all time NCAA goals leader plays at Penn State. Did he suddenly forget this year how to shoot the ball? It's like it's almost more important to people to see Maryland kill some SoCon team by 15 than beat Michigan...even though Michigan has more top 100 recruits in a year than those SoCon teams will have on their entire roster.

Ridiculous how the narrative has been spinning this year.

Having the third seed play the 6th seed at home is...insane. You're actually making the higher ranked seed have a harder road. Explain how that makes sense.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

if they selected and seeded by top 100 i.l. recruits, we'd probably all be fine with that.

that's not what they went by, but if you want the best teams, those are the ones with the most talent. pretty sure tosu brings in some top flight talent also.
keno in reno

Re: Maryland 2021---#1 Seed

Post by keno in reno »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:33 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:30 pm Agreed that going 12-0 in the B1G should get them the #1 seed. That's amazing to not blink or lose focus one time and, B1G may be down a bit, those are all top notch athletes.
I mean that's the thing. The Big Ten is absolutely stuffed full of top ranked recruits, moreso than any league except the ACC. So even in a "down year"...it's still full of top guys. I mean hell Hopkins has multiple top 10 recruits (including a #1 ranked recruit...which I believe Maryland has never had lol). Are those kids suddenly full of suck or suddenly forget how to play once they stepped onto Homewood? The all time NCAA goals leader plays at Penn State. Did he suddenly forget this year how to shoot the ball? It's like it's almost more important to people to see Maryland kill some SoCon team by 15 than beat Michigan...even though Michigan has more top 100 recruits in a year than those SoCon teams will have on their entire roster.

Ridiculous how the narrative has been spinning this year.

Having the third seed play the 6th seed at home is...insane. You're actually making the higher ranked seed have a harder road. Explain how that makes sense.
Yeah, it's a bummer. B1G leadership choked on this like they did on football last summer, and not 1 life was saved because of their scheduling decision.

Maryland used to benefit from this kind of stuff 30 ago when Byrd hosted qf's and final fours. I think they were "lucky" in 2013 to host Cornell as well, only to get destroyed by Pannell & friends. So historically speaking, maybe it balances out.

But, speaking to this year only, Maryland probably went into Sunday as the slight favorites to win the tournament (obviously only slightly better chances than UNC, Duke, UVA and ND). Now those chances swing to a sizeable advantage for UNC based on their easy bracket, certainly disproportionate to their standing relative to MD and the other top teams.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Just my take.
Pretty ludicrous take…. The tournament selection committee head is from Towson. The other members are from Bryant, Utah, Loyola and yes, UNC…… on what basis would the other 4 non ACC voting members protect the ACC over their own interests? It’s laughable…..
bananas

Post by bananas »

Little evidence of a b-10 narrative at least not at season start .Many preseason polls had Maryland, Penn State and OSU as top ten teams but latter two fell by the wayside because Maryland and yes Rutgers separated.The absence of Ament sunk after Rutgers beat PSU which was a big upset at moment. OSU disappointed and fell out but Knights did get fairly recognized.
Numerous offseason additions by acc especially Duke with Sowers drew attention .With Ivies out, most figuring its a a acc squad or Maryland that takes it all because they have the widest talent bases . Not going to begrudge but look forward to playing them hopefully. I view Terps as #1 because of beatings but can somewhat understand UNC . Just dont get Terps at #3 and Notre Dame at #6 but that should be a good game. As for Rutgers, been worrying since being upset by a 3-8 jhu. Thought we were going to be seeded then suddenly talk that we played no one which was unfair to us and b10. JHU and Michigan did improve as season went on despite records and OSU is still OSU. Good luck to Terps, hope to see you for a third time.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Just my take.
Pretty ludicrous take…. The tournament selection committee head is from Towson. The other members are from Bryant, Utah, Loyola and yes, UNC…… on what basis would the other 4 non ACC voting members protect the ACC over their own interests? It’s a laughable leap…..

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”